NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

In my opinion the only chance you have of getting it into a PSA 10 would be to crack it out -- for political reasons they are highly unlikely to cross it in an SGC holder -- but you would be insane to crack it out so enjoy it as is.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default showcasing?

I always put things on ebay to showcase them. Ebay is the biggest showcase in the world. Where is Chicago206 when you need him?
Old 05-17-2010, 06:03 PM
David McDonald

Validify? You're going to upset Barry.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Barry Sloate

Nothing around here surprises me anymore!
Old 05-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Nothing around here surprises me anymore!
Nope, you can't get Barry's Goat any more.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:31 PM
Barry Sloate

"Goat" with a capital "G."
Old 05-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Validify? You're going to upset Barry.
David, he may have left us forever...but I'm afraid your arch-nemesis has been reincarnated.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:04 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I clicked on the damn smilies and they didn't work!!!
That happens right before you get banned, so I am told.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:07 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
In my opinion the only chance you have of getting it into a PSA 10 would be to crack it out -- for political reasons they are highly unlikely to cross it in an SGC holder -- but you would be insane to crack it out so enjoy it as is.
He already told us he is enjoying it. Would a poll help you recall that for the next time? Jeez Peter, pay attention, will ya!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Banned

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1217_price_cbs_video-1.jpg (30.7 KB, 108 views)
Old 05-17-2010, 07:43 PM
MJ

It would be nice to have PSA cross it to a 10, not just for monetary reason, but it would be awesome to have all 3 major grading companies (SGC, PSA, BGS) agree on this card. But realistically, it would be very difficult to cross to PSA 10. I enjoy the card as it is, and as long as it's authentic and not altered, i don't really mind that it's in SGC holder instead of BVG or PSA.

Last edited by ichieh; 05-17-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default yeap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichieh View Post
It would be nice to have PSA cross it to a 10, not just for monetary reason, but it would be awesome to have all 3 major grading companies (SGC, PSA, BGS) agree on this card. But realistically, it would be very difficult to cross to PSA 10. I enjoy the card as it is, and as long as it's authentic and not altered, i don't really mind that it's in SGC holder instead of BVG or PSA.
The holder makes all the difference in the world. Sometimes I stay up late at night and just look at all of that plastic I have accumulated. Sometimes I polish it and clean it.....it gets real shiny that way. OH the smell of plastic in the morning!!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Jim D

Quote:

Would this "validify" the card or your ego?

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
Would this "validify" the card or your ego?
With him, everything is ego driven. Every sentence he types has a reference to the all mighty $. He even had to mention he could have made $4000.00 profit on his Pete Rose, but that was an insignificant amount. Why did he need to tell everyone about that? Probably lives in mom's basement and used the $ he's saving on rent to buy this "showcase worthy" card.

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Well, you could try to cross it to one company and then when successful, cross it to the next. Then all three companies could agree. And don't give up on the possibility of a PSA 10 cross. If you could manage that it could create generational wealth for your family.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Well, you could try to cross it to one company and then when successful, cross it to the next. Then all three companies could agree. And don't give up on the possibility of a PSA 10 cross. If you could manage that it could create generational wealth for your family.
"generational wealth" - calvindog, that comment is worth showcasing!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:59 PM
MJ

Jeff, you are absolutely right. I am living in a basement of my parents house and live off my monthly social security check. I am able to save enough pennies that i picked up off the street and bought the card. It's the only thing i have in life, so please don't try to take that away from me.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Jim D

im beginning to think Chicago has had a name change. I C I A or itchy (or however you pronounce it) has the Chicago Bulls as his picture.... same witty banter and always talking about the $$ side of cards.....

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 05-17-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW1 View Post
CW,

The contrast on the SGC 96 Rose on my website is about the same as the one sold by REA as well as the SGC 98 on eBay. I'm not seeing what you are. Please explain to me how I'm being misleading. Thank you.
I'm sorry -- I did not mean to imply that you are intentionally making an
attempt to mislead with your scans.

I do believe that your scans have the potential to mislead a buyer due to
their high contrast, which can misrepresent what the card will look like in
hand. Many times, this can be the fault of a scanner, or a scanner's
settings, which may not be the fault of the user. To me, the differences
between the two scans are blatantly obvious, as your scan exhibits much
bolder yellow & red colors, and much brighter white borders.

This is all my opinion, of course, and I see some here share it, while others
do not. I can leave it at that.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:19 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Jeff, you are absolutely right. I am living in a basement of my parents house and live off my monthly social security check. I am able to save enough pennies that i picked up off the street and bought the card. It's the only thing i have in life, so please don't try to take that away from me.
Not sure if this was ironic, sardonic or sarcastic, but it was funny. Point to icieh.
Let's not lynch this guy. So what if he spent a ton on a Rose rookie and he obsesses on grading and his command of the mother tongue isn't the best? He is no Chicago.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Finally ichieh, a post showing some personality! Much better than the robotic sounding posts we've come to expect. If you saw 10 pennies on the street, you would have probably left them because that wasn't enough for you. You expected 15 pennies.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
Finally ichieh, a post showing some personality! Much better than the robotic sounding posts we've come to expect. If you saw 10 pennies on the street, you would have probably left them because that wasn't enough for you. You expected 15 pennies.

Pennies can be graded, you know. Are we talking graded pennies or raw coins?
Old 05-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Not sure if this was ironic, sardonic or sarcastic, but it was funny. Point to icieh.
Let's not lynch this guy. So what if he spent a ton on a Rose rookie and he obsesses on grading and his command of the mother tongue isn't the best? He is no Chicago.

I, too, agree that there is no reason to crucify this guy. He's nothing like Chicago. He's not really disruptive. He starts no fights. He just has a different angle on collecting than many of the rest of us, but generally speaking he's fine.

One question, however...

Why isn't this thread in the Postwar Forum?
Old 05-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Jim D

Maybe you could flip those pennies for nickels and then post the nickels on ebay to display them in hopes someone offers you dimes for them.... then you could take the dimes to another company and hope they think they are worth quarters!

Old 05-17-2010, 11:54 PM
Gr.eg Per.ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
I, too, agree that there is no reason to crucify this guy. He's nothing like Chicago. He's not really disruptive. He starts no fights. He just has a different angle on collecting than many of the rest of us, but generally speaking he's fine.

One question, however...

Why isn't this thread in the Postwar Forum?
the sharks were circling, the smell of blood was in the water, and you had to go and ruin the party.

Okay, but will some idiot please step forward and join the forum soon to give us some entertainment? Jeesh...
Old 05-18-2010, 02:19 AM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
I'm sorry -- I did not mean to imply that you are intentionally making an
attempt to mislead with your scans.

I do believe that your scans have the potential to mislead a buyer due to
their high contrast, which can misrepresent what the card will look like in
hand. Many times, this can be the fault of a scanner, or a scanner's
settings, which may not be the fault of the user. To me, the differences
between the two scans are blatantly obvious, as your scan exhibits much
bolder yellow & red colors, and much brighter white borders.

This is all my opinion, of course, and I see some here share it, while others
do not. I can leave it at that.
Chuck,

Thank you for your feedback.

I have viewed the two images on a number of different computers in different locations and can see no appreciable difference except for in the blue part of the card (mine appears to be lighter). Might it be the monitor that you are using?