NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-10-2011, 07:20 AM

Here is a photo of my Ruth premium I rescued from a 1920's/30's scrapbook. There is definitely a blue tint to the premium. The debossed center surrounding Ruth's image is also a great way to confirm authenticity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCI01102011_00000.jpg (11.0 KB, 166 views)
Old 01-10-2011, 08:11 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagecpa View Post
It is too bad the Fro Joy market is so screwed up with reprints. They are nice cards that I will just never bother to own because I don't trust any of them. Heck, if the original plate is still in existence, somebody is probably printing some out as I type.
If a plate does exist, it would have to be of the sheet, not the factory cut singles. The cards on the sheet are different compared to the factory cut singles, therefore they can be identified as authentic or not. From what I've read, a counterfeiter could not print them today as they did in 1928. It seems the reprint problem originated pre-1980.

Any single card that has characteristics of uncut sheet cards is not authentic; it is a counterfeit. Amid heavy research, I have only found one black and white counterfeit of the machine cut single, and it was horribly done, very obvious. It was artificially aged and brownish.

As I mentioned before, I purchased a single from a counterfeit uncut sheet with limited knowledge of the issue. But even so, I knew it was counterfeit as soon as I received it and held it. Paypal refunded, and I still have it because the seller would not provide his return address. I subsequently purchased a BVG graded Fro Joy crack fielder and immediately noticed the difference. If I knew then what I know now, I would not have purchased it.

Based on what I've read, a lot of which was from old threads here, the problem has always been that we didn't know the cards on the sheet possessed different characteristics compared to the factory cut singles. Knowledgeable collectors have always informed others to watch out for the dotted cut lines, the text box gaps, and lack of photo clarity, but they didn't know why they were saying that (full sheet characteristics). They were saying that because people were purchasing singles that were cut from a counterfeit sheet.

If a printing plate exists, would it have sold by now because of its uselessness? It is ridiculous that authentication companies can't authenticate this issue. Beckett has complete confidence, with the cards that is.

It's as simple as this:

Characteristics of cards on a full sheet, both authentic and counterfeit:
  • dotted cut line on front
  • gaps in the corners of the text box on the back
  • lack of clarity in the photo, lesser quality than the machine cut singles

Characteristics of cards on an authentic full sheet:
  • cardboard color back (like the Fro Joy premium)

Characteristics of cards on a counterfeit full sheet:
  • whitish back like the machine cut singles

Characteristics of an authentic machine cut single:
  • Solid text box on the back
  • Photo clarity on front compared to the sheet, better quality
  • No dotted cut lines

Characteristics of a counterfeit machine cut card single:
  • Color photo
  • Blue Photo
  • Cards that are brownish from manufactured aging

Here's one of those repli-cards, which is a black and white counterfeit of the factory cut single. It also has the connected text box on the back. It's next to an authentic:

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

If a single card matches the description of a card on the full sheet, it's a counterfeit, period.

It's not as difficult as it seemed.

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 01-18-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: info added
Old 01-10-2011, 08:17 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBroll View Post
Here is a photo of my Ruth premium I rescued from a 1920's/30's scrapbook. There is definitely a blue tint to the premium. The debossed center surrounding Ruth's image is also a great way to confirm authenticity.
Thank You! That's a nice one,

May I send mine to you with a postage paid return envelope? Will you photograph it next to yours, please?

Greg Martin

BTW, mine is only the center area.

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 01-10-2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: added info
Old 01-10-2011, 12:53 PM

Hi Greg,
Sure. I will send you a PM with my address.
Howard
Old 01-10-2011, 10:09 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Spoke to Robert Lifson today when he followed up from the message I sent. He was a very nice man and was very generous with his time.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Howard, thank you for your generosity.

Hi Greg,

I got your Ruth premium today. Its a nice piece. These are very scarce and even though yours does not have the outside border, the image of Ruth is very nice. These premiums are extremely hard to find in ANY condition. Yours is 1000% authentic.

The first 2 photos (front & back) are with the flash of my camera on and the next two are with the flash off.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Hi Greg! Based on the scan, this looks 100% authentic to me. 100%. 100%. 100%. (it is, however, trimmed).
Sincerely,
Rob L
Robert Lifson
President
Robert Edward Auctions, LLC
P.O. Box 7256
Watchung, N.J. 07069
908-226-9900
908-226-9920 fax
www.RobertEdwardAuctions.com

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 01-13-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-15-2011, 08:08 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Default Honest Seller

These would possibly fool people because they appear to be old. The seller is honest and stated they are likely reprints in the auction.

The cards have characteristics of singles cut from a sheet, so they are without a doubt 30+ year old counterfeits:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BABE-RUTH-FRO-JO...item1c189c9384
Old 01-16-2011, 08:35 AM
Shinzo Shimozukawa
Banned

Last edited by shimozukawa; 02-16-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:51 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimozukawa View Post
I think if the seller were completely honest, they would put reprint into the auction title. By saying "most likely" reprints in the description, they are trying to play on the greed of the individual who will think "but what if it's not!!!"

Just my thoughts on it. If you know something is a reprint, the auction title should say so, and the description should be simple and say "These are reprints." If you got them from someone else and there's a 0.01% chance they're not, then I'm sure the buyer won't complain if they're real.
You're right, good point.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:56 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Default Another authentic sheet

Here's another authentic uncut sheet. Note the cardboard color of the reverse.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123
Old 01-18-2011, 07:34 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Default Beckett

Wow,

I disputed the charge made to Beckett for authentication only of my Fro Joy Premium and just learned they will not be crediting my account, citing services were rendered. Beckett did indeed render apathetic services. Beckett lackadaisically rendered an incorrect opinion, threatening a seller's reputation and an important collectible in the process. Beckett's reputation remains the same, bottom of the pack.

Owner of Robert Edward Auctions, Robert Lifson, has handled these Fro Joy premiums in the past. His opinion was that mine is authentic.

Howard owns a full size premium, and compared mine to his in person, concluding mine is authentic.

Based on data from the Beckett web site, they've never handled one. It seems they measured the card and rendered a decision, collecting nearly $50.00 in the process. I'm disgusted. They'll holder a strip card or a T206 that has been cut in half, won't they?

Their population report for Fro Joy premiums remains 0, but at least they now know what a premium should look like.

Howard, thank you again for comparing and photographing my trimmed Fro Joy premium next to your full size premium.

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 01-18-2011 at 07:35 PM.