NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-16-2010, 06:42 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Yup, the seller, based on the description in the original auction, seems to be on the up and up....never mind the fact that the buyer stated the seller has ALREDY refunded him!
Old 09-17-2010, 05:48 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

What a BS diatribe. May have missed it. He talks about his mean old lady and some crippled friend in Michigan... Where is the mention of the darn provenence?

Always leery of an extensive description. Those sales never work out. This seller is a smooth smoothy and has a few of yoos buffalo'd. Now needs to scramble to protect his feedback.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:31 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
What a BS diatribe. May have missed it. He talks about his mean old lady and some crippled friend in Michigan... Where is the mention of the darn provenence?

Always leery of an extensive description. Those sales never work out. This seller is a smooth smoothy and has a few of yoos buffalo'd. Now needs to scramble to protect his feedback.
Eggs-actly!
Old 09-17-2010, 08:53 AM

I really haven't got that impression. Seems possible to make a mistake. However, what do I know?
Old 09-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default interesting thread

Wow, this is an interesting thread. I too was fooled but I also know that many, many times I go outside of my specialty (we all know what that is) I lose some confidence. With that lost confidence comes a higher percentage of mistakes.

The reason it wasn't brought to light BEFORE the auction ended is almost no one on the board will "out" ongoing auctions as to not alert more folks. About 99% of the board understands that when an ongoing auction gets outed, it won't be a great deal, in the end, for anyone except the seller.

Seller seems very stand up. It would be nice to back track and find the real culprits. I am not 100% dismissing anyone though, if ya'll know what I mean, until that provenance comes out. I have seen too much and am a bit jaded in that sense.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:52 AM

Just thought I'd mention one more thing before I dismiss myself from this thread. The pennant is going back today. I spoke with the seller this morning, believe what you will, and it is his intention to destroy the pennant so it never appears in the hobby again. I guess time will tell. Scott
Old 09-17-2010, 11:06 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

It's great that he intends to destroy it. But better yet would be if he could go back to the person from whom he acquired it. If the seller could identify and "out" the source who is feeding these into the hobby, it would serve a greater justice than simply destroying it

The recent batch of these pennants that's surfaced is disturbing, and it would be nice to nip this trend in the bud.

Last edited by perezfan; 09-17-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:40 AM

It is nice that the seller is (hopefully) refunding the money and that he is going to destroy the pennant. BUT, it would be better if he just kept the pennant so as to use it as evidence if the person or persons making these fakes are caught and charged with fraud.

David
Old 09-17-2010, 11:52 AM

The seller told me that he contacted the person who sold the pennant to his partner in person. Apparently, when confronted, he was greated with a slammed door in his face. I think whoever slammed the door is close to our source! Who the hell really knows. Could just be an honery old man. I deal with those kind all day. Thanks again, and I hope I'm never the topic here again. Scott
Old 09-17-2010, 12:16 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default done

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
It is nice that the seller is (hopefully) refunding the money and that he is going to destroy the pennant. BUT, it would be better if he just kept the pennant so as to use it as evidence if the person or persons making these fakes are caught and charged with fraud.

David
It was mentioned that the money was refunded very quickly. Done deal with that aspect of it. I think the person who slammed the door (if that is the real case) should be held a bit more under a light. The perpetrators of this scamming need to be caught.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It was mentioned that the money was refunded very quickly. Done deal with that aspect of it. I think the person who slammed the door (if that is the real case) should be held a bit more under a light. The perpetrators of this scamming need to be caught.
But that kind of all depends on how much the Ebay seller paid for it. I mean if he bought it for 25 bucks and then resells it on Ebay with a good faith story, I don't see any harm. Now if the person sold it to him for $500+ and said this is authentic then yes there is an issue. We may never know.

But if this is the guy making the other one and passing them off as originals then he's a "rabid anti-dentite!" and it would be good if the Ebay seller divulged any and all info as to where he got it from. No reason he should be protecting a fraud. Where the hell is Quincy, Sam Fujiyama, and Lt. Monahan when you need them!
Old 09-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Banned

An interesting side note is that this pennant wasn't part of the Halper collection.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:09 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Halper is indeed off the hook for this one, but another interesting side note...

Like so many of the other counterfeits in the hobby, it DID eminate from OHIO (yet another red flag, not discussed)
Old 09-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default not to me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
But that kind of all depends on how much the Ebay seller paid for it. I mean if he bought it for 25 bucks and then resells it on Ebay with a good faith story, I don't see any harm. Now if the person sold it to him for $500+ and said this is authentic then yes there is an issue. We may never know.

But if this is the guy making the other one and passing them off as originals then he's a "rabid anti-dentite!" and it would be good if the Ebay seller divulged any and all info as to where he got it from. No reason he should be protecting a fraud. Where the hell is Quincy, Sam Fujiyama, and Lt. Monahan when you need them!
Well, sort of. If it was sold as real, regardless of the amount of money, and it isn't real and was known not to be, then that amount doesn't matter an iota to me. If that was the case then it was fraudulently sold. Too many questions still unanswered.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default It's baaaack

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INCREDIBLY-R...item43ab5e221f

a different seller, so I wonder if this was a buyer of one of these and now trying to find another sucker like himself.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:08 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

This is one magical Babe Ruth pennant - it fore-tells the future - THE YANKEES DIDN'T HAVE NUMBERS ON THEIR UNIFORMS UNTIL 1929. Besides these just being really ugly and slapped together by some moron who inherited a set of block type the seller couldn't even be bothered to do his homework on the subject. I remember seeing that '19 Sox pennant and thinking that if you were nuts enough to bid on that dog than you deserve to be parted with your money.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:38 PM

Default For what its worth...

The latest eBay offering is a different pennant than the one previously posted in this thread. Look closely at the "9" in "1928," and the bottom star below the "N" in "NY" You will see the new eBay pennant has a "9" that is in line with the rest of the date, whereas the pic posted in this thread has somewhat of a droopy 9. Also the star below NY does not line up precisely on both pennants, and appears to align with the right side of the N in the pic on this thread. Not saying these are real (I don't know), just saying they are two different examples of the same pennant.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLange View Post
The latest eBay offering is a different pennant than the one previously posted in this thread. Look closely at the "9" in "1928," and the bottom star below the "N" in "NY" You will see the new eBay pennant has a "9" that is in line with the rest of the date, whereas the pic posted in this thread has somewhat of a droopy 9. Also the star below NY does not line up precisely on both pennants, and appears to align with the right side of the N in the pic on this thread. Not saying these are real (I don't know), just saying they are two different examples of the same pennant.
This clown notes in the item description that it "dates from 1929, as it shows the Babe wearing his Yankees uniform with the #3"

Any uniform or Babe experts who could date that specific photo?

And how can the seller be sure it was made in 1929 just because Babe is wearing #3? I'd venture to guess it was made much later, like perhaps 2009