NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
This auction business is a mine field.

Not if you shift all the risk onto the consignors.

mastro/legendary has had plenty of opportunity to pay their consignors. They choose not to. And it stinks.

Last edited by three25hits; 06-29-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:22 PM

This explains why, despite some collectors' applauding of the practice in the names of quick shipping and good customer service, I never thought it such a great idea for an auction house to ship winnings before receiving payment.

Last edited by drc; 06-29-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:19 AM
Paul

Default isn't this....

...what Madoff got 150 years for?

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 06-30-2009, 06:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default T206collector

I am far from a Mastro apologist but Madoff ruined hundreds, if not thousands, of folks financial futures. I doubt Mastro has ruined 1 financial future. Not quite the same. Punishments generally do fit crimes.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:36 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I am far from a Mastro apologist but Madoff ruined hundreds, if not thousands, of folks financial futures. I doubt Mastro has ruined 1 financial future. Not quite the same. Punishments generally do fit crimes.
Um...where do I start on this one?
Old 06-30-2009, 06:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Jeff

Please name all of the people, other than maybe internal people (which I doubt too), who Mastro Auctions ruined their financial futures? You may start with the letter "A". I know the starting letter is kind of difficult to figure out. That's my 'ole community college kicking in for ya'!!
Old 06-30-2009, 07:44 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Leon, first, if you're 'far from a Mastro apologist' I'd like to see someone who's a real Mastro apologist. Second, I wasn't aware that the complete ruination of someone's financial future is the requirement that needs to be hit before any scorn can be heaped on thieves. Perhaps if you were a victim of Mastro you'd feel differently, right? Plus it's not like you're privy to the information as to who was ripped off and how much, right?

Finally, no one -- including Paul -- suggested that Mastro et al. were as bad as Madoff. Paul simply noted that the theory of robbing Peter to pay Paul was apparently in play in both scenarios.

And finally: why do you come down harder on a BST guy who didn't make good on a $20 deal than Mastro? In both sets of circumstances you've heard of allegations of fraud second-hand. I would think that you'd react quite differently considering that a) you're more likely a victim of Mastro; and b) one person/entity has caused major damage to your beloved hobby.

Last edited by calvindog; 06-30-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Jeff

Ok I am an apologist. (just for you). Who said anyone has to be completely ruined to get scorned? You are starting a tale that should be addressed as "Once upon a time". You really do have a great embellishment about your prose. Heck, I might be a victim of Mastro, I dunno....I don't need to continually repeat what I told O'keefe last year, you can google it. I am only privy to the few emails I got from a post on this board as to who is owed money. So, no I am not privy to the billions you are insinuating that Mastro Auctions ripped people off for. Maybe that is in the 2nd chapter of your fairy tale?

No doubt there is a similarity whenever someone gets defrauded in some way. We can all use our imaginations almost as much you do.

As for me coming down harder on a $20 deal on the BST than Mastro? That must be the 3rd chapter of your fairly tale. I know a good publisher....just keep talking.....

Last edited by Leon; 06-30-2009 at 08:30 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-30-2009, 08:24 AM
Paul

Default Form of Wrong vs. Total Damages

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Paul simply noted that the theory of robbing Peter to pay Paul was apparently in play in both scenarios.

Exactly. I was reading the entirety of this thread this morning and it seems to me -- a disinterested 3rd party -- that people are alleging a pyramid scheme of sorts. All seemed well and good when the money was coming in from the auctions. But when the money stopped coming in and the consignors wanted to get paid, well that's when the trouble started. It is eerily similar, based on the facts reported in this thread, was my only point.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 06-30-2009, 08:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Exactly. I was reading the entirety of this thread this morning and it seems to me -- a disinterested 3rd party -- that people are alleging a pyramid scheme of sorts. All seemed well and good when the money was coming in from the auctions. But when the money stopped coming in and the consignors wanted to get paid, well that's when the trouble started. It is eerily similar, based on the facts reported in this thread, was my only point.
In this respect I am in full agreement.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:31 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
So, no I am not privy to the billions you are insinuating that Mastro Auctions ripped people off for. Maybe that is in the 2nd chapter of your fairy tale?

As for me coming down hard on a $20 deal on the BST than Mastro? That must be the 3rd chapter of your fairly tale. I know a good publisher....just keep talking.....
Leon, where did I suggest that Mastro was responsible for billions in fraud? Of course I never said or suggested such a thing. As for the rest of your post(s) all I can say is that I think you doth protest too much. And I really cannot figure out why but with all respect it does look suspicious. And take this from a friend who has supported you through thick and thin on this board -- it looks suspicious.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Jeff

I can't really help the way you feel. You are very consistent in your rhetoric though. I think we might have to go "Tacky" on ya' . Have a good one...I hope you fare better in court.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:44 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Leon, you might be the only one who hasn't noticed that I fared pretty well on this issue in this thread.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:15 AM

I would like to understand how Leon attributed the 'billions' number to anything Jeff said? (unless it was edited out / and I didn't see it).

I don't see anything that would suggest anyone was talking about billions.

And....
I've been around people (in my own industry) who have owed a whole bunch of money, and decided to try to escape the debts and other trouble by shutting down one company and opening up in a new name.

I find that type of action deplorable.
And I always wondered how anyone could do business with that 'new' entity.

I hope that is not the case here, and I hope the right thing is done by all who are owed money.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Try this at the National...

If you want any dealer (Leon included...be careful if Scott sharing his table) to understand the feeling that the consignors are feeling currently...just walk up to their table with a friend, ask to see a card, take card and hand to friend, have friend walk away, tell dealer that you will pay him for the card when your friend finally pays you and you do not know when that will be.

I promise you that the dealer will feel robbed, scream, call security, or just beat your ass...the people who dismiss this are just not living in the real world. Mastro/Legendary are nothing more than thieves.

Joshua
Old 06-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Barry Sloate

Now if you want to talk economic stability, think Peter Luger's...been serving great steaks at the same location since 1887!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijoem View Post
I would like to understand how Leon attributed the 'billions' number to anything Jeff said? (unless it was edited out / and I didn't see it).

I don't see anything that would suggest anyone was talking about billions.

And....
I've been around people (in my own industry) who have owed a whole bunch of money, and decided to try to escape the debts and other trouble by shutting down one company and opening up in a new name.

I find that type of action deplorable.
And I always wondered how anyone could do business with that 'new' entity.

I hope that is not the case here, and I hope the right thing is done by all who are owed money.

I was trying to embellish as much as Jeff did but couldn't quite get to that level. Everyone should get every nickel they are owed. It would be idiocy to think otherwise. *I never defended Mastro, as Jeff stated, I only said they didn't rise to the Madoff level. You and/or Jeff can continue arguing. I am done.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Peter Spaeth

151 years!!!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:59 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
I was trying to embellish as much as Jeff did but couldn't quite get to that level. *I never defended Mastro, as Jeff stated, I only said they didn't rise to the Madoff level. You and/or Jeff can continue arguing. I am done.
Leon...you've got a blind spot, a tin ear when it comes to your friends at Mastro/Legendary. Try to be objective. You've even previously said that if you found out they ripped you off you wouldn't be mad as long as you were not singled out for fraud. That kind of sounds insane, no?
Old 06-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Jeff

Where did your D322 Wagner come from, you know the one that was over 25k?

To your question.....Yes, if I was not personally targeted then I would be less upset, but still upset, at being shilled. I am sure that is a very difficult point for you to comprehend though. Maybe you need to take a deep breath sometime....You are turning kind of blue.

If a person you knew, came into your home and stole something from you, would you be as upset with a stranger as you would be with them?

take care
Old 06-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Where did your D322 Wagner come from, you know the one that was over 25k?

To your question.....Yes, if I was not personally targeted then I would be less upset, but still upset, at being shilled. I am sure that is a very difficult point for you to comprehend though. Maybe you need to take a deep breath sometime....You are turning kind of blue.

If a person you knew, came into your home and stole something from you, would you be as upset with a stranger as you would be with them?

take care
Leon, if I only bid in auctions in which I was sure I wasn't getting defrauded, I wouldn't be buying many cards. As such, I would only buy a card from Mastro if I felt comfortable that the price was fair. Regarding the Tip Top Wagner, I got it for 17K less than the final "price" in Goodwin's auction a year or so ago. Finally, your bringing up the card I bought from Mastro is akin to blaming the victim for a crime. No one deserves to be defrauded, period.

Finally, I would be more upset if a trusted friend ripped me off than if a stranger did. I think many people feel this way -- including Bernie Madoff's childhood friends. I suspect you, Doug and Bill probably differ with the rest of us on this one.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Jeff

That has to be your worst defense of one of your positions ever on this board. I will rest my case if that's all ya' got.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Whatever you say, Leon, whatever you say.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Jeff's post illustrates why it is so difficult to control shill bidding, card alteration, etc. -- if they have a card we want, we look the other way and rationalize.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Jeff

"I know this crack is bad for you, but I can quit anytime I want, really."
Old 06-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post
Mastro/Legendary are nothing more than thieves
+1
Old 06-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Jeff's post illustrates why it is so difficult to control shill bidding, card alteration, etc. -- if they have a card we want, we look the other way and rationalize.
Yes, it's all my fault. If only I had stopped bidding on Mastro auctions they would have stopped shill bidding and other frauds. Perhaps I should be indicted too as a co-conspirator?
Old 06-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Jeff there you go knocking down a straw man again. You are but one example of a phenomenon; thus the "we".
Old 06-30-2009, 01:18 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Peter, stop setting up strawmen and I'll stop knocking them down.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:33 PM
David

Default 6 minute increments

Lots of 6 minute increments being wasted here when they can be billed out! Or are they?
Old 06-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Multitasking.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Thought it was 15 and 30 minute increments? Do lawyers still bill out in 6 minute increments?

Last edited by botn; 06-30-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Brian

A consignor sends a card to Mastro
Mastro auctions the card
Mastro ships the card to the buyer
Mastro doesn't pay the consignor
The new owner of the card just auctioned it on ebay
The new new owner now has the card
Mastro continues to not pay the consignor

This completely sucks. While its funny to watch the apologists in this thread try to find ways to justify, explain and/or lessen the impact of mastro/legendary's actions -- it isn't one bit funny what mastro/legendary is doing to the consignors or what they are doing to the hobby.

Shame on mastro/legendary.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by three25hits View Post
Mastro auctions the card

This completely sucks. While its funny to watch the apologists in this thread try to find ways to justify, explain and/or lessen the impact of mastro/legendary's actions -- it isn't one bit funny what mastro/legendary is doing to the consignors or what they are doing to the hobby.

Shame on mastro/legendary.
I've said it before, there is no new owner and there is no new new owner. Until the consignor gets paid, he is still the owner. As such, the consignor ultimately has little risk (outside of the payment delay and such) since if he doesn't get paid he legally gets his card(s) back. Remember, until he gets paid it's still a consignment.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
I've said it before, there is no new owner and there is no new new owner. Until the consignor gets paid, he is still the owner. As such, the consignor ultimately has little risk (outside of the payment delay and such) since if he doesn't get paid he legally gets his card(s) back. Remember, until he gets paid it's still a consignment.
I am not sure I get your point. The consignor doesn't have the card in hand. Mastro shipped it to the winner. The winner just sold it on ebay, and shipped it to the ebay-winner.

The consignor doesn't have the cash, and doesn't have the card. Where is there little risk? Mastro can't send him the card back, they have already sold it to someone else. That someone else has since sold the card?

Who is going to go get the card from the ebay buyer?
Old 07-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Brian

Quote:
Mastro auctions the card

This isn't a hypothetical scenario. It just happened. The consignor had to watch his card sell on ebay within the last couple of weeks, and hasn't been paid since February.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Jeff

Quote:

I am sure this consignor feels that he is in a little risk situation. Probably not worried at all.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Eric Bea.chley

He needs to put in a legal claim for return of his consignment.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Banned

To take Brian's point further: What happens if, after I pay for a card that I bought in a Mastro auction, I destroy it (or, more realistically, it accidentally gets destroyed)?

If the answer is that I have to make restitution of the selling price to the original consignor -- in effect paying for the card twice, once to Mastro and again to the consignor -- then you might want to try to come up with something better.

Last edited by Rob D.; 07-02-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Brian

Quote:
He needs to put in a legal claim for return of his consignment.
Whenever I am making legal claims, I always think to myself -- no risk at all, its just a little payment delay & such...
Old 07-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Think of it this way. When has the "Title" to the card transferred from the consignor. Answer: It hasn't.

Yes, the buyer is at risk.

Here's an example that's more common, but very similar. My car is worth $10,000. I sell it to you for that price and give you the car. I don't pay off the bank for the loan on the car. A couple months later you get a knock on the door from the bank asking for their car back. Guess who gets the car?

I should add a link proving this.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Banned

That example isn't similar at all. Unlike in a consignor/auctioneer relationship, the bank didn't authorize you to sell the car on its behalf.

This isn't worth debating with you, simply because your points and assumptions have little to no merit. I'll let someone else continue this lesson in frustration.

Last edited by Rob D.; 07-02-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
This isn't a hypothetical scenario. It just happened. The consignor had to watch his card sell on ebay within the last couple of weeks, and hasn't been paid since February.
Brian, can you provide a link to the ebay auction? I wonder did the ebay seller pay for the card or is he one of the fellows who got his stuff from Mastro without paying?
Old 07-03-2009, 05:51 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default It isn't that simple, Egbeachley

I had one of these cases several years ago. Because the consignor parted with the card knowingly at the outset but the auctioneer embezzled the proceeds, title may transfer. It depends on two factors: (1) which state law is applicable to the transaction and (2) which version of the Uniform Commercial Code was enacted by that state. Some states allow an item obtained under false pretenses to be sold to a bona fide (unwitting) purchaser; some do not. Assuming that the initial transaction could be deemed a transaction under false pretenses--which it may well be since Mastro plainly was in deep doo-doo at the time of the February auction since it ceased ops in early March--whether title transfers has to be analyzed as above.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-03-2009, 05:55 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default damn, Joshua, that is funny stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post
Try this at the National...

If you want any dealer (Leon included...be careful if Scott sharing his table) to understand the feeling that the consignors are feeling currently...just walk up to their table with a friend, ask to see a card, take card and hand to friend, have friend walk away, tell dealer that you will pay him for the card when your friend finally pays you and you do not know when that will be.

I promise you that the dealer will feel robbed, scream, call security, or just beat your ass...the people who dismiss this are just not living in the real world. Mastro/Legendary are nothing more than thieves.

Joshua
I'm picturing Kit Young easing his fat behind out of the lounge chair and waddling down the aisle after the second guy...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-03-2009, 08:18 AM

Be nice to Kit Adam and what are you doing up so early??
Old 07-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Yankeefan51

Default Truth, Justice and The American Way

We have long stated

Trust no one
Double check everyone

It is disappointing (and criminal) that consignors have not been paid
by certain auction houses.

Given the time, energy and money that long-time collectors have invested
in a hobby, when it is time to sell, it is imperative that said collectors
are treated with dignity and respect.

The Board should dedicate all its efforts to removing any auction houses and/or dealers who violate their legal and moral obligation to the collecting community.

The Board should publish a list of auction houses that do not pay on terms and distribute at the National. And their practices should be reported to the Post Office, FBI and local law enforcement.

Perhaps there is a few extra rooms in Mr. Madoff's prison to house hobby thieves. Just think by the time they get out their 2009 Topps cards will be more than 100 years old. Perhaps, then they can pay their debts.
In the interim, it is time to severely punish the hobby thieves.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Bruce lives!
Old 07-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Barry Sloate

Bruce's post does not include the universally recognized "America's Toughest Want List" byline...has it been retired?

Thanks Rich...just a typo

Last edited by barrysloate; 07-03-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Rich Klein

Default Barry; I'm sooo disappointed in you

Has it be retired?

I guess grammar is taking off for the three-day weekend as well

Barry -- I know buddy -- was just giving you a hard time; after all; due to my and my wife's surgeries this week -- we've had the M-I-L over as a guest and you can imagine how that goes on a full time basis

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 07-03-2009 at 12:42 PM.