NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Default Barry Sloate Auctions Now Online for Bidding

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Hal, you and I are in the same boat with consignments being in this Mastro auction. Originally I had given them around 30 lots to sell. I put bigger lots together wanting them to go in the BIG auction. They only ran some of the primo cards and put my groups in the smaller auction. I would have had them run as individual lots because most of my cards would fetch around 500.00 a piece (couple of Uncle jacks, Gypsy Queens, GCM, Brunner Bread HOFer, etc..) I wish I would have had a chance to change up the lots but the collectors auction came up so quickly after the BIG one ended I did not have a chance to. Still waiting on the 45 "Standard Industry Time" Consignor check as well. I hate being a consignor, I think buying is less stress full and you get things in a timely mannor...

JC

Old 06-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Jim, so if payment on your consigned lot is cleared a week after the auction you still have to wait 38 days to get paid? Isn't that the same as providing an interest free loan to Mastro?

Old 06-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

JC:

I am still waiting for payment from the big auction as well.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Since it is "Industry standards" for 45 days to get your consignor check. I will probally shop around a little harder for companies to go with on certain items. I know Barry does around 25 days. I understand auction companies do not want to issue 3-4 checks per consignor per auction. But maybe when 100% of the consignor's lots are paid for they JUST SEND THE CHECK OUT. Most auction companies boast about 98% to 100% paid.

Jeff, I know my little consignments is not making them a lot of interest, but I hate feeling like the little fish in the ocean. I want to be the happy fish in the pond.

For future consignments, I think these will be my questions.

1. Will I get zero commission?
2. Can I select how my items are arranged?
3. How quick can I get paid?
4. Try to get any other perks available at the time of consignment. Lots of aution companies out there trying to drum up consignments.
5. Are there any hidden reserves?

Old 06-09-2007, 06:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Has anyone that is lamenting about not getting paid quickly by any auction company actually called them and asked if they could get their money sooner? If the auction rules say you will be paid in 45 days, or 60 days, then that is it. I would guess if you called them and asked to be paid sooner then they might be able to accomodate you. Or you can just bitch about it on a chat board....

Old 06-09-2007, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Just to clarify:

I wasn't bitching about late payment... just letting JC know that he isn't alone.

Now whether or not JC was bitching...

I will leave that issue up to the voters.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Hal, good thing you got that disclaimer in -- your 1958 Topps lot was fading from the page in my Mastro catalogue.....that Mastro, they sure are tough!

Old 06-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Administrator

No bitching on my part. I actually enjoy waiting on funds that have probally already been collected. It's like having the IRS owe you money where you know it will come, the question is when? I mainly stated that I DID NOT KNOW INDUSTRY STANDARDS. I like many do not always read the fine print when dealing with companies you TRUST. Leon, maybe you should tell Mastro it takes 20-30 days for banners ads to get up and running on the board after payment is recieved. I hear that is normal lead time for web companies? I bet you over achieve and do it a little faster don't you... (now that was a little bitch)

JC

Old 06-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Banners always get put up within 24 hours and usually within 3-4 hours. I don't ever want to give good or excellent service. It needs to be great. I have had a few situations with Mastro and other auction houses. By calling and explaining my issue to them, and being respectful and courteous, I have gotten satisfactory resolution 100% of the time. I know I am a good, but not the biggest, customer and don't expect too much hand holding. I want them to WANT to deal with me. I don't want them saying under their breath that, although I spend some money, my shi* to equity ratio isn't very good. I don't want to be a pain in their rump. For the record my last Mastro consignment was low 5 figures. The exact last day when I was to expect payment is when I got it. If I would have wanted it faster I would have called and I am sure Doug and staff would have helped any way they could. Again, I am positive they would have done whatever I wanted within reason....I don't put extraordinary demands on auction houses except to do the best they can for me..It's just the way I prefer to do things...some will disagree as always......best regards

edited spelling

Old 06-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

Barry--The word he was trying to use was "ulterior"

Old 06-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

Got the Catalog today!. Looks good Barry and Joe.

I love the big scans online when you click on the image

Old 06-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Jay- I thought he meant to say "alternate" or "alternative" based on the context.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Dale

Well after posting here I had trouble registering to bid I got a "slew" of emails from the folks at barrysloate auctions and they got it taken care of by email in less then 48 hours - sweet. Now you can all stop bidding so I can get a really sweet deal on the cards I want - thanks (j/k I know)

Old 06-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Jim- we've had a few kinks to work out (no, not The Kinks) but with new software that is usually the case. Thank you for your patience.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zinn

Barry, you might want to tell your web designer how to spell the word "consignor".

Edit. My bad. Apparently it can be spelled both ways.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:03 AM
Administrator

Zinn- we actually had that discussion and he pointed out the two spellings. I've always done it the same way as you.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

it was sad not to see the "Sloatemerica Inc." image anywhere to be found on the site At least Barry's intern did a nice job on the site!

Old 06-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry

Barry, YOU REALLY GOT ME with that Kinks reference. Working out the Kinks could take, ALL DAY AND ALL OF THE NIGHT.
Sorry, slow sports Saturday.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Well, I'm just a well respected man around town...

And Scott, I'm trying to low key the Seinfeld stuff...gets me into a lot of trouble!

Old 06-20-2007, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

I think it is great that you opened the site and auction up early so we could have plenty of time to view the cards and bid. But now it seems like FOREVER for the thing to end. Hurry up and get here June 28th!!!

Old 06-20-2007, 05:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Pcelli60

I'm having a problem with the site. I cant afford anything! Your stuff is too nice Barry.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:31 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the compliments.

Mastro closes June 20-21 and I thought it would be a prudent decision to leave a little space between my closing and theirs. That way I have center stage for the home stretch.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Interesting to see Mastro closing on Weds. and Thursday.

I don't remember them closing a sports auction on a Weds. night in the past.

I wonder if the large number of Weds. night auctions that close on Ebay every week had anything to do with it?

Just curious.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Administrator

They could also be trying different days just to see if activity is better on a particular one.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Usually the Americana section closes first, then the sports. They reversed it this time.