NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-14-2014, 10:06 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

I think it's totally plausible these are faded due to sunlight exposure. Hung in a frame in a sunny hallway/room for years.

Cobb has some untouched red, likely hidden under a phot holder.

Auction

Old 03-14-2014, 10:13 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Default Color "error" variations in t206 cards

Huggins & Scott had a large framed lot where several showed signs of fading reds, including a split Cobb.

Auction

And here's the window.

Last edited by atx840; 03-14-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:16 PM
Alex

Such a waste of cards
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:20 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

If this Lord or Crandall hit the market they could be listed as missing red.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:33 PM

Chris- thanks for illustrating my point. UV rays are killer, and can easily fade colors...so can excess exposure to indoor bulbs.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 03-14-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:38 AM
Robert A

Chris,

That piece has faded everything and cards that are heavily glued down, stained, etc. Yes, I see there's a window in the photo, but I don't think it's the culprit.

It faded certain parts of each card more extremely? The Schmidt and Cobb (for example) had much heavier sun exposure on the bottom half of the card?

Rob

Last edited by caramelcard; 03-15-2014 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:03 AM
Kevin Qui.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Chris- thanks for illustrating my point. UV rays are killer, and can easily fade colors...so can excess exposure to indoor bulbs.
they do it on everything from the siding on your house, to the paint on your car the baseball cards you hang in a sunny place.

kevin
Old 03-15-2014, 06:54 AM
Alex

That's why nice things should be framed behind uv blocking glass.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 03-15-2014, 08:19 AM
Clayton

Interesting thread, I've been following this and will add some thoughts.

I've always felt the way Rob and Ted have, that sun exposure wouldn't remove all of the red in a card-and, I still pretty much feel that way. I may be wrong, but usually some cards missing red , where you can still see a touch of red (like that Cobb, for instance) can have another explanation.

As you can see in the corner of the Cobb, Chris is right- that corner shows it was tucked in a photo holder, commonly seen in old photo albums where you have one on the upper right, and one on the lower left.

So, I wonder about this- most pages in old photo albums are black. Could whatever they use to dye the pages black react to the red ink over time? That could explain why it did not affect the corner that was tucked, but the bottom of the top page laying flat on the card, over time, reacted with the red ink? Not sure, but something to think about?

The other cards on the montage- can't help but wonder about glue reaction (chemical reaction) on those cards....they all look heavily glued on....

Some people in the past have likened the sun exposure thing to a can that has sit in the sun, and over time the image faded......but, that's an image on aluminum or tin- the sun heats it up a lot hotter than the sun heating up paper? It seems like the sun would heat up a metal more than it would paper? So, I don't think that is conclusive (apples to oranges?).

I think it's possible that the red could dull a little over time due to prolonged sun exposure, but it's hard to imagine it would make the red completely disappear-I would think you would be able to clearly see some of the red still.

Keep in mind, these cards can be soaked and not lose any of the red. It's hard to imaging sun could remove it but water can't.

Again, I may be wrong. These are just my thoughts on this, and I am not a scientist. The Willis portrait is mostly found in red, but you also have many found in this burgundy type of color. Was this deliberate? The Abstein, mostly found in red, but many are found in orange-was this deliberate? Or, did that many Absteins get exposed to sunlight for too long? Sort of seems deliberate to me, because of how many examples have this color of orange. And, this Donie Bush card....look how red it is. Does anyone have an orange Donie Bush card? If so, are there any signs of glue residue on the back?

Sincerely, Clayton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T206-2 188.jpg (75.6 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg T206-2 094.jpg (58.5 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg T206-2 152.jpg (74.9 KB, 169 views)
Old 03-15-2014, 08:30 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Hey guys......are you dismissing the long-term affects of GLUE ?

Chris and Mike

What makes you so sure the discoloration of some of the cards mounted on this poster was caused by "sun exposure" fading ?

As Rob A. pointed out.......the red backgrounds of Cobb (red portrait) and Boss Schmidt (portrait) are not uniformly discolored.
Yet, cards below & above them, and cards to the left & right of them are discolored.

I suspect that the discoloration on some of these cards is due to the long-term affects of GLUE seeping thru into the fronts of
the cards and chemically altering their colors. Especially, the Cobb and the Boss Schmidt cards......as, the pattern of their RED
discoloration is indicative of this effect. If you recall, we have previously discussed this "glue effect" on Net54 in prior threads.

TED Z
Old 03-15-2014, 08:38 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Clayton

I was typing my post while you posted and did not see your post. Pardon me for repeating what you stated. Anyhow, it appears that we (along with Rob A.)
are considering an alternative explanation for the discoloration of many of these cards mounted on this poster.

TED Z
Old 03-15-2014, 08:43 AM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
I was typing my post while you posted and did not see your post. Pardon me for repeating what you stated. Anyhow, it appears that we (along with Rob A.)
are considering an alternative explanation for the discoloration of many of these cards mounted on this poster.

TED Z
No problem Ted thanks.

Yes, there's a window in the picture of the homemade poster on the wall-but, there's also blinds on it. I think that one can easily be explained by the glue as you pointed out Ted. Long term exposure to chemicals.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 03-15-2014, 09:16 AM
Alex

The color differences could be UV or something in the ink. Either way, it seems like a much ado about nothing to me.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 03-15-2014, 09:31 AM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
The color differences could be UV or something in the ink. Either way, it seems like a much ado about nothing to me.
Oh, ok thanks.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:56 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
Oh, ok thanks.

You're welcome.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 03-15-2014, 02:48 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
If this Lord or Crandall hit the market they could be listed as missing red.

The Mitchell has the same sort of fading that the small lot I bought had.
NO bright red left, and about 40 years of light exposure.
Lobert and Downey would pass for missing colors, and someone posted that a couple cards from the same batch have been slabbed that way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-190...vip=true&rt=nc

Yes, It could also be the glue or the cardboard/paper they were glued to. But most likely it was the light exposure.

Steve B
Old 03-15-2014, 03:34 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Interesting thread, I've been following this and will add some thoughts.

I've always felt the way Rob and Ted have, that sun exposure wouldn't remove all of the red in a card-and, I still pretty much feel that way. I may be wrong, but usually some cards missing red , where you can still see a touch of red (like that Cobb, for instance) can have another explanation.

As you can see in the corner of the Cobb, Chris is right- that corner shows it was tucked in a photo holder, commonly seen in old photo albums where you have one on the upper right, and one on the lower left.

So, I wonder about this- most pages in old photo albums are black. Could whatever they use to dye the pages black react to the red ink over time? That could explain why it did not affect the corner that was tucked, but the bottom of the top page laying flat on the card, over time, reacted with the red ink? Not sure, but something to think about?

The other cards on the montage- can't help but wonder about glue reaction (chemical reaction) on those cards....they all look heavily glued on....

Some people in the past have likened the sun exposure thing to a can that has sit in the sun, and over time the image faded......but, that's an image on aluminum or tin- the sun heats it up a lot hotter than the sun heating up paper? It seems like the sun would heat up a metal more than it would paper? So, I don't think that is conclusive (apples to oranges?).

I think it's possible that the red could dull a little over time due to prolonged sun exposure, but it's hard to imagine it would make the red completely disappear-I would think you would be able to clearly see some of the red still.

Keep in mind, these cards can be soaked and not lose any of the red. It's hard to imaging sun could remove it but water can't.

Again, I may be wrong. These are just my thoughts on this, and I am not a scientist. The Willis portrait is mostly found in red, but you also have many found in this burgundy type of color. Was this deliberate? The Abstein, mostly found in red, but many are found in orange-was this deliberate? Or, did that many Absteins get exposed to sunlight for too long? Sort of seems deliberate to me, because of how many examples have this color of orange. And, this Donie Bush card....look how red it is. Does anyone have an orange Donie Bush card? If so, are there any signs of glue residue on the back?

Sincerely, Clayton
Sun exposure will fade many red pigments, especially ones derived from natural sources.

Cochineal produces the brightest reds, and sets better than most protein based fibers. In other words It won't easily wash out of wool. It was widely used before cheaper stuff came along, and has made a comeback in food and cosmetics since many of the synthetics are suspected or proven carcinogens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochineal

The main points
"In artists' paints, it has been replaced by synthetic reds and is largely unavailable for purchase due to poor lightfastness."

"Cochineal is one of the few water-soluble colourants that resist degradation with time. It is one of the most light- and heat-stable and oxidation-resistant of all the natural organic colourants and is even more stable than many synthetic food colours."

One of the replacements for it, Alizarin or Rose Madder, is also not particularly lightfast. But it could be made from coal tar rather than the labor intensive insect harvesting for Cochineal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_madder

"As all madder-based pigments are notoriously fugitive, artists have long sought a more permanent and lightfast replacement for Rose Madder and Alizarin"

Those were the two main sources of red in the 1910 era. Both are fine in water, but not great in sunlight. (Sunlight stable reds didn't come along until after 1958)

One of the big surprises in the lot with sun exposure was that the pink which I'd believed to be simply a red mixed with white appears entirely unaffected.

It's possible some chemical put off by the glue or by the cardboard could affect the bright red and other colors. I simply don't know enough chemistry to be sure.
I do know the common red pigments that made up probably around 90% of the red dye/pigment market at the time were probe to fading from light.
So going with the simple explanation seems to work.

I'd be happy to have a real chemist give an explanation either way.

Steve B
Old 03-15-2014, 07:25 PM

Hi Ted- there is no question in my mind that many years of sun/light exposure faded the cards in that montage. no question. everything is pretty much evenly faded (yes, some more than others, but overall, almost every card looks to have been effected by UV exposure). for example, not sure if you were ever out in Los Angeles, but many many buildings, billboards, posters, murals, etc, etc, are very "sunbleached" due to years of sun exposure. almost everything out there has a washed-out look. furthermore, i've owned several framed posters (this was when i was younger before i spent the money to use UV glass on everything i frame) that were certainly faded over time from being on a wall that was washed with sunlight. in fact, some of the items didn't have direct sunlight, but simply light from the room, be it ambient sunlight or fluorescents.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:05 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
I've been collecting Sportscards of all varieties since 1977.....and, T206's for the past 34 years. I have yet to see a "faded" T206 due to sun exposure.
Really Ted? I have and seen plenty of them. Glad someone posted the above from Huggins & Scott because it was one of the more recent examples of UV damage from sunlight or artificial light IMO.

Here’s another example no doubt this was exposed to quite a bit of UV overtime from the original framing and old glass it was behind. Hence why my copy on the left is more pink than red.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:29 PM
Robert A

Ok. Sun can cause some fading. So can other variables after the printing process. In my opinion, a very small percentage of the color errors that are out there are caused by sunlight.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:36 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Hey guys....you're ganging up on me

This is what I stated in Post #50 here......

Quote:
I totally agree with Rob's three points here. As a grown-up, I've been collecting Sportscards of all varieties since 1977.....and, T206's for the past 34 years.
I have yet to see a "faded" T206 due to sun exposure.

Furthermore, the few T206's that I have seen that appear to have been tampered with (chemically, or otherwise) are quite easy to detect.
TED Z
Note that I was referring to individual T206 cards. Not posters of cards.

However, speaking about "posters"....the discoloration of the Red Cobb and the Boss Schmidt cards on the poster that Chris has displayed is the result of something
more than just "sun exposure" fading. There is no way that those two cards got to look the way they do, due to fading.

TED Z
Old 03-16-2014, 12:02 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Ted, you may want to re-read this thread. Those are not posters of cards they are cards made into a folk art display that were in Huggins & Scott. So those are T206 cards with faded colors FWIW.

My image was just showing that Red is the first color to go on many printed or even painted surfaces. This is common knowledge and nothing to out there in terms of and idea.

Cheers,

John
Old 03-16-2014, 07:51 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default John

Quote:
Chris and Mike

What makes you so sure the discoloration of some of the cards mounted on this poster was caused by "sun exposure" fading ?

As Rob A. pointed out.......the red backgrounds of Cobb (red portrait) and Boss Schmidt (portrait) are not uniformly discolored.
Yet, cards below & above them, and cards to the left & right of them are discolored.

I suspect that the discoloration on some of these cards is due to the long-term affects of GLUE seeping thru into the fronts of
the cards and chemically altering their colors. Especially, the Cobb and the Boss Schmidt cards......as, the pattern of their RED
discoloration is indicative of this effect. If you recall, we have previously discussed this "glue effect" on Net54 in prior threads.

TED Z
I'm not referring to the kind of posters you displayed....I dig the fading of those type of things.

My contention is.....that Rob A. first made the point of the red Cobb and the Boss Schmidt cards having non-uniform discoloration. I observed this also; and,
added that fading due to "sun exposure" does not result in this kind of effect. We attributed this type of discoloration in these two T206's as possibly having
been caused by the chemical reaction of the glue used to mount these cards on that poster.

So, I am not sure of what your point is ?

Anyhow, since no one here has yet to address the Cobb and Schmidt cards' discoloration, perhaps we can get your take on these two cards on that poster
exhibiting a different effect than the others ?

TED Z
Old 03-16-2014, 08:06 AM
Alex

I am tempted to sun bleach a card just to prove that this happens.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 03-16-2014, 08:13 AM
Clayton

Quote:

Sincerely, Clayton
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it. I quoted myself ^^ because I understand that the UV rays can dull the red-I just have a hard time thinking that it would completely remove the whole color. And, I know that the major TPG's use a UV protective plastic in their slabs for this reason.

But, will it remove all traces of red? In John's poster (thanks for posting that by the way), you can see the UV rays degraded the color red, but you can still tell it was red. It didn't remove the whole color.

Back to the cards.....if those cards weren't glued on to that poster, it would be a little easier to conclude that all of the fading was because of prolonged sunlight-but the fact that they are glued on, makes me wonder if it was the glue-or-a combination of both.

Now, here's why this topic is important (IMO)- if, as some of you are saying- the red can disappear completely due to prolonged exposure to sun/UV rays- how can one tell a legitimate card that is missing a red pass to one that has been exposed to the sun? I mean, in theory couldn't someone take their cards to a tanning salon, put them under one of those tanning beds for a few sessions, and *POOF* create a "missing red pass" card?

Great discussion, very interesting....

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 03-16-2014, 08:21 AM
Clayton

Quote:
I'm not referring to the kind of posters you displayed....I dig the fading of those type of things.

My contention is.....that Rob A. first made the point of the red Cobb and the Boss Schmidt cards having non-uniform discoloration. I observed this also; and,
added that fading due to "sun exposure" does not result in this kind of effect. We attributed this type of discoloration in these two T206's as possibly having
been caused by the chemical reaction of the glue used to mount these cards on that poster.

So, I am not sure of what your point is ?

Anyhow, since no one here has yet to address the Cobb and Schmidt cards' discoloration, perhaps we can get your take on these two cards on that poster
exhibiting a different effect than the others ?

TED Z
Hi Ted,

I think the discoloration of the Cobb and Schmidt cards (in my opinion) have a lot to do with glue/chemical reaction. I think all of those cards discoloration/fading have something to do with the glue/chemical reaction. I've been wrong before, and may be wrong now, but so far this is what I think-regarding this card montage.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 03-16-2014, 11:00 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it. I quoted myself ^^ because I understand that the UV rays can dull the red-I just have a hard time thinking that it would completely remove the whole color. And, I know that the major TPG's use a UV protective plastic in their slabs for this reason.

But, will it remove all traces of red? In John's poster (thanks for posting that by the way), you can see the UV rays degraded the color red, but you can still tell it was red. It didn't remove the whole color.

Back to the cards.....if those cards weren't glued on to that poster, it would be a little easier to conclude that all of the fading was because of prolonged sunlight-but the fact that they are glued on, makes me wonder if it was the glue-or-a combination of both.

Now, here's why this topic is important (IMO)- if, as some of you are saying- the red can disappear completely due to prolonged exposure to sun/UV rays- how can one tell a legitimate card that is missing a red pass to one that has been exposed to the sun? I mean, in theory couldn't someone take their cards to a tanning salon, put them under one of those tanning beds for a few sessions, and *POOF* create a "missing red pass" card?

Great discussion, very interesting....

Sincerely, Clayton
What I did with the ones from the lot I bought was to look for signs that the ink was still there. My theory was that the ink has a different glossiness than the cardboard, so a card showing the white of the cardboard where bright red should be would be glossy for a faded card and not glossy for a missing color. (Glossy being relative here)

What I saw was one card that was glossy where the red should have been and one that wasn't. So either I was wrong - the most likely answer. Or I'd gotten one faded card and one legit missing color.

One thing I've noticed is that many of the actual missing colors are missing more than one color.
And that color variations can be caused by the level of inking. The colors that usually show up with heavier inking making the card look different are Gray, pink, and blue.
Most of the 350s come with two different bright red layers. Something I think is a legitimate variety I haven't really studied them in detail, but I think it may be a difference between 350 only runs and the later ones carried over to 350/460. And they probably all got redone again for the 460 series.

The farther I get into this stuff the more questions I find. And the answers are increasingly difficult.

Steve B
Old 03-16-2014, 03:10 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Ted, my point was very simple. You made a comment above that you now are avoiding or twisting. You said that in all your years of collecting you have yet to see a T206 that showed signs of missing color due to exposure to sun or artificial light.

This is nothing new to any collector especially one with years of collecting. Exposure damage is real, known and and seen quite often.....not only in our world but many other collecting worlds.

Sometimes I think you almost take the polar opposite side just to debate. If someone said tobacco cards were issued with tobacco you would announce that you had a theory that they were put out with pudding.

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 03-16-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:21 PM
Robert A

John,

I'm not Ted, but I had the same stance in this case.

It's funny that you mention taking the polar opposite side just to debate because that's what I feel you guys are doing in this case.

Most of the T206 color errors are not due to sunlight. There's not a ton of T206 collections bathing in the sun. Would you agree?

Rob
Old 03-16-2014, 03:28 PM

The majority of color error cards are legit, and are missing color passes and/or were printer's scraps with a variety of (cool) issues...I think what John & I were responding to, was whether or not sun can fade colors on cards, posters, etc...which I think several people have now confirmed it can do lots of damage...I'm at a resort right now, and they have a lounge with a library of books next to the fireplace (sunlight hits the bookshelf)...on most of the older books, the exposed edge is totally faded. See attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.3 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by MVSNYC; 03-16-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:32 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Robert, where did I say most or mention any percentage of cards with color variations are due to just UV damage?

I'm simply pointing out That UV can be a cause and is not something that is never seen or some odd occurrence that is hardly seen as announced so boldly by Ted and his statement.

I would also disagree with you that T206s aren't sitting in the sun, folk art and displaying cards either glued, pinned or stuck up was common use for these premiums upon issue. Cards don't have sit in the sun for 100 years to be affected.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 03-16-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:40 PM
Robert A

Fair enough. But I believe it is an odd occurrence and it's rarely seen. I've handled a ton of them and I know you have too. How many have you had that struck you as altered by the sun?
Old 03-16-2014, 04:00 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramelcard View Post
Fair enough. But I believe it is an odd occurrence and it's rarely seen. I've handled a ton of them and I know you have too. How many have you had that struck you as altered by the sun?
Robert quite a few have struck me as sun/UV, glue, chemicals or something else since you ask.

Finding true missing reds that are bold minus the red isn't an easy thing. I think that's why I own so few them. But that's just my experience with T206s and the set.....
Old 03-17-2014, 10:09 PM
Ron Rice

Default Donie Bush

Clayton, I used to own a Donie Bush with a bright orange background. I didn't think it was faded and no evidence of soaking or glue. It seems to me it was missing a red color pass. The card was a PSA 4, I believe.

I currently have an Abstein PSA 5 with the similar bright orange background.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:30 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridwell View Post
Clayton, I used to own a Donie Bush with a bright orange background. I didn't think it was faded and no evidence of soaking or glue. It seems to me it was missing a red color pass. The card was a PSA 4, I believe.

Thanks Ron!

I appreciate the input. I've seen quite a few of the Abstien cards with this orange background. It's hard to imagine that many Abstein cards losing all of the red?

And I posted the Willis portrait because I think some of these slight color changes may have been a deliberate thing. Just my opinion of course, not to be taken as fact.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 03-18-2014, 02:33 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridwell View Post

Ron- I also have a Bush with a vivid orange background, it's a 6.5 Old Mill...
Old 03-18-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Ron- I also have a Bush with a vivid orange background...

Kevin- you sure you don't want to edit that sentence?

Just bustin' your chops, sorry couldn't help it.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 03-18-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:28 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Kevin- you sure you don't want to edit that sentence?

Just bustin' your chops, sorry couldn't help it.
Priceless!!
Old 03-18-2014, 04:31 PM
pete ullman

kevin must have been tanning in the buff again!
Old 03-18-2014, 04:37 PM

Having frequented quite a few card shops in the 1990's/early 2000's you would be amazed at the color transformation of many of the cards that they had in counter displays and cases, they had changed colors quite a bit due to both Sun uv rays and fluorescent lighting. Now most of these were 1950's and 60's cards as that was what was mostly sought after but I am sure that in some areas quite a few early cards were put out as well. I also have a friend who has many of his cards out in the open on display in his home for quite some time and several have lightened up. Further the amount of glued (not paste) in early cards that were removed via solvents has created many of the psychedelic multi color cards as mentioned by others. Food for thought.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:56 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Having frequented quite a few card shops in the 1990's/early 2000's you would be amazed at the color transformation of many of the cards that they had in counter displays and cases, they had changed colors quite a bit due to both Sun uv rays and fluorescent lighting. Now most of these were 1950's and 60's cards as that was what was mostly sought after but I am sure that in some areas quite a few early cards were put out as well. I also have a friend who has many of his cards out in the open on display in his home for quite some time and several have lightened up. Further the amount of glued (not paste) in early cards that were removed via solvents has created many of the psychedelic multi color cards as mentioned by others. Food for thought.
Agree 100%
Old 03-18-2014, 08:30 PM
Alex

I don't know how anyone can arise against uv damage as a source of variations.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 03-18-2014, 09:39 PM
Clayton

NM

Last edited by teetwoohsix; 03-19-2014 at 02:52 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:58 PM
Clayton

Alright, I've been putting a lot of thought into this subject. I understand that UV rays can potentially fade colors on a card. I still have a hard time believing that it will completely remove a color though, to the point that you can't even tell the color was ever there. I understand many disagree with this.

With that being said- if a card sat in the sun for so long that it completely removed *let's say the color red* from the card- wouldn't the sun also degrade the composition of the paper as well? Would the sun's UV rays make the paper brittle? Not trying to sway the conversation into another direction, but I thought this was worth bringing up. The point I'm trying to make is-in my mind, a card would have to sit under direct sunlight for a pretty long time to completely remove a whole color-so, wouldn't we also be able to tell by the cardboard that this was a sun soaked card we were looking at?

Thanks for all well thought out and informative input-

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 03-19-2014, 06:28 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Alright, I've been putting a lot of thought into this subject. I understand that UV rays can potentially fade colors on a card. I still have a hard time believing that it will completely remove a color though, to the point that you can't even tell the color was ever there. I understand many disagree with this.

With that being said- if a card sat in the sun for so long that it completely removed *let's say the color red* from the card- wouldn't the sun also degrade the composition of the paper as well? Would the sun's UV rays make the paper brittle? Not trying to sway the conversation into another direction, but I thought this was worth bringing up. The point I'm trying to make is-in my mind, a card would have to sit under direct sunlight for a pretty long time to completely remove a whole color-so, wouldn't we also be able to tell by the cardboard that this was a sun soaked card we were looking at?

Thanks for all well thought out and informative input-

Sincerely, Clayton
It depends on the cardboard.

Late 70's-early 80's Topps, many of the strip cards, and others yes the cardboard will start having problems. Those are all printed on paper with a lot of wood fiber which makes it acidic and that's what makes it brittle. The sun can speed that up a bit.

But T206 are printed on a paper that's got a lot less or maybe even no wood fiber. (I don't think any have ever actually been tested for the paper content) It's a reasonably close match for the acid free cardstock used for some comic backing boards and for some artists cardstock.
As far as I know sunlight either won't affect it or it will take so long none of us will see it happen.

Steve B
Old 03-19-2014, 07:45 AM
Ben North

I think most of you would be very surprised at how easy sun removes colors from cards. Different years and brands are affected differently. I have never tried a T206 card, but would like to. The card on the left took 45 days to look like this and it had a darker yellow than the control card. It was faded under 3 layers of UV plastic and 25% shade cloth.

When taking a picture of a faded card the faded color leaves a dull area were the color was completely faded off. The card pictured does not have the slight contrast in hand that shows up in the photo.

The so called blue 58 Topps Hank Aaron are a great example of this. There is a thread in the post war section on them now. Notice the off white around the Indian. If it really left the factory missing the yellow to make the card blue it would be white there not off white.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3659.jpg (79.8 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg FFnoYellow 001 (2).jpg (77.9 KB, 158 views)
Old 03-19-2014, 10:36 PM
Mark Peavey

Default T206 color variations

I'm wondering why, if indeed sunlight is responsible for the majority of color variations, red sometimes fades to a very light red, and other times fades to a bright orange. Not an expert by any means, but this doesn't make sense to me.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:54 PM

Hi Mark, i don't think anyone here said the sun is responsible for the "majority" of color variations. in fact, i think i stated that the majority of color scraps/errors are legit...suggesting, the sun or chemicals are responsible for the color damage, in only a smaller percentage of cases. we got kinda sidetracked in this thread debating whether or not UV light can damage/fade cards/posters. we know it can...anyway, there's plenty of real, legit color variations out there from the factory.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 03-19-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:05 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default McGinnity

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumback View Post
I'm wondering why, if indeed sunlight is responsible for the majority of color variations, red sometimes fades to a very light red, and other times fades to a bright orange. Not an expert by any means, but this doesn't make sense to me.
Red on the cards isn't always just red... sometimes red is layered on top of orange (combination of pink/buff and yellow). See the McGinnity's in this auction (I was the consignor and honestly was hoping for a much higher price). It you notice on the one with the red, on the left side near the face you can see some of the orange. I think in the sunlight theory that the red layer is faded away to reveal the color(s) underneath.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Mark Peavey

Default Color variations

So, you are saying they used three different layers to end up at red? Why would they do that? Doesn't that just unnecessarily add cost to the process?