NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Do I ever use a sniping service?
Yes 149 53.21%
No 131 46.79%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Ronald Goldberg

Enjoying this thread. Makes me feel like this is 1999 all over again.

Most every sniping service will let you adjust the buffer time(seconds before end of auction). Studies have shown that 8-10 seconds is the optimum buffer time to have your bids placed. There is a disadvantage to setting your buffer time to 3 seconds or less.

First, having the sniping service place your bids so late may result in your bids not connecting with eBay in time. This would not be the fault of the sniping service, but a problem with the eBay servers.

Second, having the sniping service place your bids so late may result in you losing an auction with a bid higher than the winning bid.

Example: Auction with $2.50 intervals
Bidder A snipe bids $101.50 with 5 seconds left
Bidder B snipe bids $102.00 with 2 seconds left

Bidder A wins auction because Bidder B's bid did not meet required minimum interval bid of $104.00.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Since this seems to be a hot topic I wonder how many of us use a sniping service?
Need a both selection. When on mobile, access to my snipe service is cumbersome, so I don't use it. When online, I do typically use. Probably 50/50 actually.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:23 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeU View Post
Need a both selection. When on mobile, access to my snipe service is cumbersome, so I don't use it. When online, I do typically use. Probably 50/50 actually.
Not really Mike.... I chose the wording of the actual poll question very carefully.

" Do I ever use a sniping service? "

Old 09-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I have no experience with this and am not even sure I understand the concept. That being said, if I do understand what is involved, it seems borderline unethical to me. Sure, you can justify it by saying that others use it...but isn't that the argument for PEDs?

Maybe I'm a simpleton, but I do like to keep it simple.

signed, 'blissfully ignorant'

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-04-2014, 08:54 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I have no experience with this and am not even sure I understand the concept. That being said, if I do understand what is involved, it seems borderline unethical to me. Sure, you can justify it by saying that others use it...but isn't that the argument for PEDs?

Maybe I'm a simpleton, but I do like to keep it simple.

signed, 'blissfully ignorant'
Not being disrespectful, or maybe clarifying the concept here. But how is a sniping service (setting an automation to bid on one's behalf in the last few seconds of an auction) different from sitting in front of the compute and hitting the bid button in the last few seconds of an auction? Or having a human do it on your behalf (either at a live auction or online)? Or trolling ebay and stumbling on something with a few seconds to bid and putting in a bid? Or simply, not knowing if you want to bid on something and making that decision at the last second?
Old 09-04-2014, 09:41 AM

I used to use one. I haven't in the last five years or so. I can't remember the name of it, but the software was loaded on my PC, so once that PC went Kaput I no longer used it. Although it died with my PC, the primary reason I stopped using a sniping service is that I am not very active on EBay any longer.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Not being disrespectful, or maybe clarifying the concept here. But how is a sniping service (setting an automation to bid on one's behalf in the last few seconds of an auction) different from sitting in front of the compute and hitting the bid button in the last few seconds of an auction? Or having a human do it on your behalf (either at a live auction or online)? Or trolling ebay and stumbling on something with a few seconds to bid and putting in a bid? Or simply, not knowing if you want to bid on something and making that decision at the last second?
It is no different, but a sniping service allows you to be not tied to a computer. You can forget about the auction and no matter what you are doing or where you are, the bid will go in. Your house can lose total power, and your bid will (should) still go through!
Old 09-04-2014, 11:06 AM
Pau.l C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
It is no different, but a sniping service allows you to be not tied to a computer. You can forget about the auction and no matter what you are doing or where you are, the bid will go in. Your house can lose total power, and your bid will (should) still go through!
Last night while reading to my daughter I won my 1st snipped auction well below my max price. What a great sense of freedom being able to set a bid and forget about it!
Old 09-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Steve Liskey

Default Gavelsnipe problem

I've been using Gavelsnipe for about three years now. Love it! However, this past weekend I had two snipes set that did not fire off. I wrote to them to ask what the deal was and got back this response...

"There were connection problems over the weekend that prevented Gavelsnipe from completing the snipe records. These have been restored and you can now view the results for your missing snipes in your snipe history."

Did anyone else experience a problem over the weekend?
Old 09-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Mike C@.v3

I've used Gixen for the past few years...I'm surprised no one has mentioned them yet. I've been very happy with them and I have no complaints.

At first I was hesitant because it just feels wrong giving some random website your eBay user and password, but it's great not having to worry about keeping track of an item for several days and eventually placing your bid. Plus, placing a late bid is usually your best bet for not getting run up.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 09-04-2014, 03:27 PM
Mike

Default Gavel Snipe

I have been using Gavel Snipe for a few years now. I have never had a problem with it. I like to think that it makes it a little harder for people to shill bid against me.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Dan Bretta

I use Gavelsnipe...it had never failed me in many years of using it, but last week it didn't even register my bid, and nobody even bid on the item at all. It completely disappeared from my snipe list even as I was watching it end. I had to ask the seller to relist the item with a BIN and she did. I'm still baffled by that one.

Worked for me today though without a problem.

edited to add: Now I see above I was not alone in this problem.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 09-04-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Did anyone else experience a problem over the weekend?
LOL....uh....yea..........remind me never again to end auctions over Labor Day weekend!
Old 09-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Taylor-

I'm not offended at all...remember, I'm blissfully ignorant ( and I excel at playing dumb )...but I see your point. I guess I prefer the 'hands-on' approach, but I can remember missing out on wanted items because I did not have the opportunity to watch it through to the end & of course, that is the value. Maybe it's the negative label of 'sniping' that caught my ire.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Jeff P0tter

As I mentioned before, it gives a lot of trepidation to running no reserve auctions, which it seems like people are always asking for more of.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:22 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
I've used Gixen for the past few years...I'm surprised no one has mentioned them yet. I've been very happy with them and I have no complaints.

At first I was hesitant because it just feels wrong giving some random website your eBay user and password, but it's great not having to worry about keeping track of an item for several days and eventually placing your bid. Plus, placing a late bid is usually your best bet for not getting run up.
I mentioned Gixen in Post #30.

But yes- very surprised that nobody else has. For those not happy with their current service, give them a try. They are nothing short of perfect
Old 09-05-2014, 11:28 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Regarding sniping services... Another assumption is that one actually enters a snipe amount and time. Anyone else here ever load an auction into your snipe service of choice and then forget to enter the amount?
Old 09-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
Long, long ago, you could actually look at the items on ebay someone was bidding on. I got a chaser who would check what i was bidding on, which was fairly unique, and snipe me which necessitated me finding a service.
Exactly what got me to auctionstealer. I had a number of 'followers' who would not only piggy back on my work ferreting out stuff but would also run up my bids. That doesn't happen any more since eBay made it impossible to track bidders, but the service remains valuable to me:
--I no longer worry that my max bid will be run up or chipped at all week long. My max isn't revealed until the last seven seconds.
--I am terrible for forgetting to bid on something. More than one time I have checked my inbox to find that I'd won a card that I really wanted but that I neglected.

Taylor, it is very liberating not to have to pay attention to when an auction ends and not to have to be online to bid into the final seconds of it. When something important to my collection pops up, I enter a placeholder bid and set a max bid with auctionstealer and then forget about the card. Just not having to actively track ebay auctions is worth the cost of the service to me.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-05-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:05 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Taylor, it is very liberating not to have to pay attention to when an auction ends and not to have to be online to bid into the final seconds of it. When something important to my collection pops up, I enter a placeholder bid and set a max bid with auctionstealer and then forget about the card. Just not having to actively track ebay auctions is worth the cost of the service to me.
Adam,

I generally do that as well. Placeholder and snipe for something I really want. Placeholder or snipe alone for stuff I might like (at the right price), depending. But also, in the midst of multi-tasking, I have added an auction to snipe and forgot to set the bid. Thus while close, I demonstrate how it is not totally foolproof for this old fool. LOL
Old 09-05-2014, 12:06 PM
Dan Bretta

I'm surprised at the number of members who believe it is somehow underhanded and shady to use a sniping service. Ebay is not a true auction, you don't go to a live auction and watch them place a time limit on an item, they don't stop the bidding at straight up noon, and say sorry, no more bids will be accepted.

Sniping allows one to bid without being shilled, and to bid while not being anywhere near your computer or unable to use your phone app.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:08 PM
J@m3s @ndr3ws

I do now after reading this thread.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Jeff Lowe

I was using a sniper for collectibles before I started to buy Pre War baseball .
Old 09-05-2014, 04:43 PM
David Riley

Nope. Would remove some of the fun for me
Old 09-06-2014, 10:36 PM

I used to use justsnipe and it was great.