NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Default ratio of psa 8 graded t206 cards to ungraded cards that would grade 8 or better?

Posted By: JimB

Gil,
There are two contentious sub-texts going on here: grades and graded vs. raw.
But I completely agree with you. There is no need for animosity in this discussion.
JimB

Old 10-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Default ratio of psa 8 graded t206 cards to ungraded cards that would grade 8 or better?

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I'd bet that there are twice as many "undiscovered" T206 cards out there as "discovered" ones, and I'd say they're likely to be in the same conditions, in the same percentages, as all of the "discovered" ones were in before they were first discovered.

There are three hundred million people alive in the United States today, and who knows how many more have passed through since 1909. There are a few thousand collectors of graded cards. I think it's unrealistic to think we know where all the ungraded ones are, or who all the collectors are.

-Al

Old 10-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Al,

I think you've lost it

Old 10-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I always say that I don't think we know about a whole lot of Pre-War cards that are still "out there" and not really accounted for. I will throw a SWAG # at 25%-35% that are not known about....In other words whomever has them knows they have them but they aren't generally known to the collecting world. That's just a guess but I think an educated one....though it's definitely debatable....

Old 10-05-2007, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

WHERE DOES IT END, guys ? ? ? ? ? ?

I agree with Frank....when I broke up my 2nd T206 set, that took several years to get 520 cards, I had quite a number of really nice Stars
and Commons (that were not Piedmont's). Many of these cards were graded 5's....6's....a dozen were 7's. I sold them quite quickly.

I put the money I got from them into two large Piedmont finds....400+ cards and 220 cards (all NAKED cards). With the money that was
leftover, I bought a 262-card Sovereign find.

That's my way of collecting....downgrade and rollover the $$$$. I enjoy completing sets....I love the challenge or the "hunt". But, many
Net54ers prefer to strictly collect Graded cards with various "themes" in mind, and that's fine.

Everyone to what ever turns them on....I sae...."Live, and let Live".

T-Rex TED

Old 10-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

I'm sure there out there I agree with Ted, while I would also agree that what a lot of folks consider NM or NM-MT is not close.

There are collectors with some very nice raw card collections. I know of about 2 other very private guys (wonder if it’s the same guy Ted?) who have very nice collections; both are older and put collections together long ago. I have seen some of the cards of one of the gentleman he was not to far from my home town. We used to get together and trade cards when I was younger. There is no doubt these cards were very nice. Were they 7’s high 6’s or 8’s a lot of them could be either, I think that also really plays into who submits them…don’t get me started on that.

Even My meager collection which it is compared to some collectors I’ve known, has a handful of raw cards that could fall in the 7-8 range. Some of these cards came from a large find I had as a kid, while the bulk of the find were VG-EX to EX there were about 20-30 cards that were really nice NM if you will, a few of the raw cards...

I believe this card below I sent off back in the day to sell because it has a double ad back ended up keeping it. It came back as follows.

There even out there on eBay I bought this card raw from a board member for $100 nobody wanted it because it wasn’t graded. It came back as such…perhaps an 8 with the right submission who knows LOL?

While I would agree it’s highly unlikely anyone is sitting on a pile of 9’s at this point, to say you know of every collection and the status of that collection is a very bold statement, there are still some gems out there. If I have some then the other bigger fish have too….

**I posted some pics, I await the flurry of grade critics that say not even close etc.LOL***

Old 10-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

"Live and Let Live," that would never work as a Net54 motto, how about this, "attack and attack some more."

Just kidding, you are on the right track, Ted.

Peter C.

Edited to add: John, those are gorgeous cards.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi John,
Thanks for posting... I was in the middle of starting dinner, and wanted to respond, but you did it for me. I have over 2000 T206's and most of the hi end ones are graded, for protection more than anything else. I really like this thread because I agree with almost everyone who has posted from Jim C to Ted Z, we are all guessing and we are probably all a lot closer than we think. I'll rejoin you when the kids are fed. Be well Brian

Old 10-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I think there are a lot of raw collections out there with cards that have the appearance of being very high grade, but I bet if they were all submitted there wouldn't be nearly as many as 7's and 8's as one might hope.

Everyone knows the routine- along with a few 8's and a group of 7's will be the obligatory 3-6's, with no apparent explanation why they graded so low.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Barry,

You are probably right...but I keep on going to estate sales...hoping to see some interesting T-206s.

Peter C.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

This discussion has passed its utility. We have expressed a variety of opinions. I doubt anybody is going to convince anyone of anything. How about we move on?
JimB