NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
SGC doesn't offer that option. They've never used qualifiers.
Personally, I think qualifiers are stupid. I don't there is anything dumber than grading a card PSA 8 (oc) in my opinion. If the card is OC, how can you say it's an 8! Just another gimmick!
Old 02-06-2012, 03:46 PM

It seems to me that one finds the widest range of condition variation at the lower range. Grades of 2.5, 3.5, and 4.5 seem the most useful to me.
JimB
Old 02-06-2012, 05:42 PM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default I hate to disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeCollector View Post
Personally, I think qualifiers are stupid. I don't there is anything dumber than grading a card PSA 8 (oc) in my opinion. If the card is OC, how can you say it's an 8! Just another gimmick!
I strongly disagree with this opinion. I prefer to have greater transparency in understanding why a certain grade was assigned. Especially in the imperfect eBay marketplace. I rely to a certain extent on a third party opinion when considering a purchase. If i find a listing for a card with a grade of psa 4mk I can make a buying decision based on the knowledge that the card has a mark on it. I do not have that assurity with an sgc 50. I have bought several cards in sgc 50 holders with marks on them that have no chance to cross to an psa 6 mk. The assertion that sgc takes this into account and drops the grade accordingly is simply not true in many cases. In extreme cases, yes but not always. I prefer the extra information the psa qualifier provides. In a perfect world where I had the card in hand pre-purchase it might not matter but I buy less than 1% of my cards face to face.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

In my opinion, a severely OC card shouldn't be an 8! A card with a mark on it shouldn't be a 4! Slight paper loss can make cards that appear 4s and 5s be 1s and 2s! Can someone please tell me how a card that's been miscut or have a mark on it or it severely OC be a PSA 7 or PSA 8?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:38 PM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default Psa agrees with you

A psa 8 oc is not the same as a psa 8. Nobody considers them the same. The card is an 8 but it is oc. Hence the psa 8 oc. This is clear to everybody and is clearly stated on the flip. You can request psa grade w/o qualifiers if it bothers you that much. What bothers me is when a card with a mark gets an sgc 50. It is not but that is what they assign it.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
A psa 8 oc is not the same as a psa 8. Nobody considers them the same. The card is an 8 but it is oc. Hence the psa 8 oc. This is clear to everybody and is clearly stated on the flip. You can request psa grade w/o qualifiers if it bothers you that much. What bothers me is when a card with a mark gets an sgc 50. It is not but that is what they assign it.
My problem is that how can a card that is OC be an 8 even though they state 8(oc)? what purpose do they serve by calling it an 8oc? How stupid is that. the card is obviously flawed. Why assign it such a lofty grade even though it's OC! I'm pretty sure that PSA includes centering in its analysis of it technical grade.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:23 PM
BRIAN C0ATS

Technical grade is separate from qualification. Corners, edges & surface make the card an 8. 60/40 or better centering make it an unqualified 8. Worse than 60/40 gets the oc designation. 100/0 gets the mc for miscut designation. Their system grades the physical characteristics of the card then the characteristics of the image. I hear plenty of complaints of oj cards with practically invisible images getting high technical grades from sgc and not properly taking image into account.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Quote:
Technical grade is separate from qualification. Corners, edges & surface make the card an 8. 60/40 or better centering make it an unqualified 8. Worse than 60/40 gets the oc designation. 100/0 gets the mc for miscut designation. Their system grades the physical characteristics of the card then the characteristics of the image. I hear plenty of complaints of oj cards with practically invisible images getting high technical grades from sgc and not properly taking image into account.
I understand but I don't think a card with 80/20 centering or 100/0 centering should ever have an 8 in their slab even though it's 8oc.

Many buyers would tend to agree bc an 8oc usually sells at a 5or 6 price. therefore, I didn't understand the need to put an 8 in the slab. what is the point if you are going to get a price that is 2-3 full grades below.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:44 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default RC qualifier

Quote:
I've got a bunch of crease-free SGC 40s with soft corners... Are those PSA 8 SC? Or what about a card with nice registration an strong corners, but a tiny corner crease... PSA 9 CC?

All kidding aside, I think the point of view of many SGC collectors is that any flaw brings down the technical grade...
Old 02-06-2012, 07:51 PM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default I agree

I just sgc would tell me what the flaw is rather than me having me try to guess what the grader was seeing. Sgc also does not downgrade for miscut t206s. How many miscut American beauty backed cards do you see that do not downgrade for the miscut?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:22 PM
qu@n nguy3n

being OC is not the same as a wrinkle or a soft corner. most likely it was a defect from the factory and the cutting was wonky. i can absolutely see how a near mint/mint can be cut OC...and thus graded an 8oc.

if you want to pick on qualifiers, go with marking or staining or even print defect...OC is legit and confirmed OG.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hound View Post
I've got a bunch of crease-free SGC 40s with soft corners... Are those PSA 8 SC? Or what about a card with nice registration an strong corners, but a tiny corner crease... PSA 9 CC?

All kidding aside, I think the point of view of many SGC collectors is that any flaw brings down the technical grade...
Well said! I was thinking of how to put this into words... Then read your post...

Very Well Said!
Old 03-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Mike C@.v3

Default half points

How long before sellers on Ebay start including this in their description: "SGC 30, should be a 35, regrade!!??"
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48