NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Fred

For those of you that like Larry Walker you guys gotta love Todd Helton:

Split

Home Away
Games 1039 1015
AB 3688 3637
Runs 826 503
2B 296 258
3B 26 9
HR 212 135
RBI 788 520
B.A. .354 .291
SlgAve .620 .478
OPS 1.071 .869

I suppose, even with the Denver bias he's still a pretty good hitting machine.

Last edited by Fred; 01-10-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:06 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
For those of you that like Larry Walker you guys gotta love Todd Helton:

I suppose, even with the Denver bias he's still a pretty good hitting machine.
I was joking before when I blew off the Colorado factor. But yes, Walker, Gallaraga, Burks, Castilla, Helton, Holliday, Tulo. I can't help it. I've always been a fan of those Colorado sluggers. Helton power splits shouldn't be that different. Helton only played 5 seasons pre-humidor.. However, they did build that stadium with a deep outfield to account for the pre-humidor power surge. So nowadays, it's a great park for doubles and average.. Walker and Helton are still hall worthy in my book though, and Tulo's gotten off to a great start.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:59 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
I was joking before when I blew off the Colorado factor. But yes, Walker, Gallaraga, Burks, Castilla, Helton, Holliday, Tulo. I can't help it. I've always been a fan of those Colorado sluggers. Helton power splits shouldn't be that different. Helton only played 5 seasons pre-humidor.. However, they did build that stadium with a deep outfield to account for the pre-humidor power surge. So nowadays, it's a great park for doubles and average.. Walker and Helton are still hall worthy in my book though, and Tulo's gotten off to a great start.

Gallaraga was one of my favorite players... i wish he had better stats.. To come back from what he went through and dominate is astounding.

I think Helton is well on his way to the HoF.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 01-11-2012, 07:40 AM
George E.

"My point is that no one considers Finley or Reuschel to be HOFers and rightfully so. Why all the love for Morris?"

Because it isn't the Hall of Statistics.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:56 AM

Back a few posts to the strike/lockout comment.

Harold Baines would be a hall of famer except for the 1981 and 1994/95 missed games, as he would certainly have made 3000 hits and 400 HR's.

McGriff gets to 500 homers without 94/95.

Neither is likely to get in......
Old 01-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Ke.n K0hen

In the Rizzuto v Conception debate, I find the contention that the latter played against superior competition to be highly questionable.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Chris Counts

"In the Rizzuto v Conception debate, I find the contention that the latter played against superior competition to be highly questionable."

It's easy for me to believe. Even though the Indians integrated in '48 and the White Sox two years later, the American League wasn't completely integrated until 1959. Most teams dragged their feet on it. The Yankees didn't lift their ban until 1955, when Rizzuto was essentially done. So there were many African-American and Latino players who never had a chance to play against Rizzuto. Because the National League integrated much faster — and raised its level of talent, its teams dominated the 1960s (Dodgers, Cardinals), while the Yankees steadily declined. They didn't win again until the late 1970s, when players like Reggie Jackson, Willie Randolph, Chris Chambliss, Mickey Rivers and others raised their talent level ...
Old 01-11-2012, 09:40 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post

Harold Baines would be a hall of famer except for the 1981 and 1994/95 missed games, as he would certainly have made 3000 hits and 400 HR's.

Completely agreed. McGriff played 50 post-season games, around the same as he missed because of the 94/95 strike. In those 50 games he hit 10 HR's...That would've put him at 503. Gehrig coincindentally, also had 10 post-season HR's. That would also put him at 503. Counting post-season. Sam Rice goes over 3000 hits.

Those I believe are the only 3 players that go over major milestones(300 W, 500 HR, 3000 K or H) if you were to count post-season stats..

Last edited by novakjr; 01-11-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W

I'm not so sure McGriff won't get in. Some of the writers are already saying that they are looking at him again and what he did without PED's. I think that with the fact that they won't be voting for any of the steroid guys (at least for the first few years) it will give McGriff a chance to get in within the next 5 years. I'm really curious as to how Morris will do in the next couple of years. If he doesn't get in, he will be only the 2nd person ever to get over 50% and not get in...the first and only so far is Gil Hodges, and don't get me started about that
Old 01-11-2012, 08:57 PM
Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by abothebear View Post
"My point is that no one considers Finley or Reuschel to be HOFers and rightfully so. Why all the love for Morris?"

Because it isn't the Hall of Statistics.
That may be true, but I'm not aware of any other way to evaluate a player's performance and, just as importantly, compare a player's performance to that of his peers.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Kenny Cole

I would suggest that watching the person play is another, better, way. Doesn't work for the old timers, obviously, but having watched a person play and having access to the player's stats is better than simply crunching the numbers IMO.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Kenny, you said a mouth full. You can't just crunch numbers and get the full story of a player. I think some of the new analytics have been great for the game and have helped further discussion, but they've also been bad in that they over analyze things. Example, the adjusted stats based on home ball park. Does that really tell you that a home run that a player hit in ball park A, would not have been out of ball park B? I mean, if you it the ball 380ft it's gonna go out of most parks (this does not include Coors field for obvious reasons). I think Hodges was hurt the most by this type of stat (although it sure doesn't seem to have hurt Snider).
Now, to another point. There are no right or wrong answers to any of this...that's what makes baseball great. The ability to have two people argue over their favorite players, or even two random players, and try to convince each other who was a better player. These types of questions and arguements have been going on for as long as baseball has been around. From Ruth vs Gehrig, to Mantle vs Mays vs Snider, to Rizzuto vs Reese, and now Larkin vs Trammel. It makes you want to learn more about your player so that you have more of an arguement...and in the process, you learn more about baseball in general. Great sport.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Brock

Going by stats Jackie Robinson shouldn't be in the hall of fame. He just had basic stats. I know he didnt start his career till 28 and is the first black player in mlb.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Frank Wakefield

And to add to what Mike just said about Mr. Hodges, from the first person accounts I've heard, Mr. Hodges was a kind gentleman.