NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Joe

Collecting picture of dead men is sure a great pick up line for chicks. Try it some time.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dueces View Post
Collecting picture of dead men is sure a great pick up line for chicks. Try it some time.
I assume so, girls love that kind of stuff!

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 10-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Ed McCollum

Default Tied my two passions together

baseball and marketing. Have only collected t206s, but would love to have been in the room when the marketing guy said "we could get the kids hooked on tobacco by putting pictures of their favorite players in the packs. We'll make a fortune!"
Old 10-14-2011, 11:56 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Good question. For the most part, I'd say the 'feeling like a kid again' aspect is the strongest (for me). I love sorting through cards, trading, scanning, displaying, attending shows and talking about them (Net54). The fact that they have financial value is nice, but doesn't drive me. I bought some cards 20 years ago 'as an investment'. I did flip them years later for a gain, but didn't enjoy it. Those cards were never 'mine'.
When my kids see me with my cards, they see the enjoyment. I love it when they say I should grow up...
Old 10-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Neal

For me why I love collecting so much it takes me away from the hectic rat race of work,etc. It is my private time to enjoy and relax collecting the immortals of our past. I actually envision me going back in time to the roaring 20s or 30s and seeing these ballplayers and all close up and see a time in life when things were I guess better off perhaps??? Overall enjoyable hobby and quite relaxing to me!!
Old 10-14-2011, 12:18 PM
J@RR0D

My wife would say it's because "I like old things". Same reason I write with a fountain pen.

I open 80's packs to feel like a kid again.
I collect vintage for the nostalgia/history of the game.
I open modern to make money to buy more vintage.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Mike C@.v3

Default collecting

Steven, great thread by the way.

I've collected cards ever since I was eight years old and I'm 32 now, so its been something I've done for most of my life. I've always loved sports and in the past five years or so, my passion for the hobby has exploded. I don't really buy cards for their monetary value, but do love to find the great deal. I do occasionally flip cards to make a little money to help in other areas of my collection.

All I can really say is that I've loved collecting since I was young, going to trade night at Jim's Dugout being able to see other's collections and money never being a factor at all, just liking certain players. One huge thing for me was being able to buy certain cards like Walter Payton and Wayne Gretzky's rookie because when I was young, that was only a pipedream and not reality, owning them that is. Every once in a while I go through my cards and admire them and pick up the Payton or other like cards and still marvel at them like they are a million bucks...gotta love it.

Overall, it's a hobby that I love and enjoy and there is so much to learn about it and has a great following as well. I can't say how happy I am to have found Net54 as are many others are as well...such a great site to learn and purchase cards otherwise I could not have.

Mike
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 10-14-2011, 12:59 PM
M!ke S@il£r

Collecting post-war cards is a hobby. Collecting pre-war cards is a disease that doesn't appear to have a cure. My wife has nearly the same reaction when I open one of my packages. Except she channels all her positive energy into raising one eyebrow, grinding her teeth and asking "now how much did that one cost?" I guess collecting cardboard pictures of dead sports figures doesn't capture everyone's imagination.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
One huge thing for me was being able to buy certain cards like Walter Payton and Wayne Gretzky's rookie because when I was young, that was only a pipedream and not reality, owning them that is. Every once in a while I go through my cards and admire them and pick up the Payton or other like cards and still marvel at them like they are a million bucks...gotta love it.
You GOTTA love it!

97man:
I dont think any of us are on track...its amazing that old cardboard can help w/ a loss as well.

Last edited by rainier2004; 10-14-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:54 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Default Ahhhh....?

......Because I'm not gay? Really because it's as close to a time machine that I have found. Aloha, Dave.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1216 View Post
When my kids see me with my cards, they see the enjoyment. I love it when they say I should grow up...
Thats awesome!
Old 10-14-2011, 12:53 PM
D Marvin

I started collecting cards as way to spend more time with father. He was a die had dodger fan so as way to needle him I started collecting any and everything new york yankee. We were able to share a lot of laughs and alot of great memories. After 15 years I had to liquidate my entire collection to cover his funeral expenses.

I just started thinking about collecting cards again after 11 years away from it. Reading this board has actually helped me find that kid inside again. I think thats the main reason I do it. Its just some pictures on cardboard but they all carry a story.

(sorry if I got off track there)