NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Paul

Uh... If I was naive enough to use my real name on here, well then OF COURSE I would want everyone else to do the same.

Duh.

If you start listening to the folks that like to use their real names, you won't get anything near a useful debate on the subject.

Putting privacy aside, which is a major consideration, the best reason to not use a real name is that it doesn't freaking matter what name anyone uses on an Internet forum. As long as people stay consistent with their usage then there shouldn't be any confusion. At the same time, if someone is being an arsehole, then ban them quickly.

Finally, while many of the regular posters like to use their names for some reason, to the extent your bag is social networking, then please keep in mind that many of us, myself included, are not interested in meeting folks on here in real life. Barry Sloate could call himself Jonny Bloat, for all i care -- he's still the same Internet person to me.

If you want to get to know each other in real life, sign up for Match.com. Otherwise, keep sharing images of your awesome cards, ask questions about your cards, answer questions about my cards, buy/sell/trade your cards. Everything else is none of my business and i don't care to know who you are, or for you to know who i am...

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-03-2011, 02:13 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Uh... If I was naive enough to use my real name on here, well then OF COURSE I would want everyone else to do the same.

Duh.

If you start listening to the folks that like to use their real names, you won't get anything near a useful debate on the subject.

Putting privacy aside, which is a major consideration, the best reason to not use a real name is that it doesn't freaking matter what name anyone uses on an Internet forum. As long as people stay consistent with their usage then there shouldn't be any confusion. At the same time, if someone is being an arsehole, then ban them quickly.

Finally, while many of the regular posters like to use their names for some reason, to the extent your bag is social networking, then please keep in mind that many of us, myself included, are not interested in meeting folks on here in real life. Barry Sloate could call himself Jonny Bloat, for all i care -- he's still the same Internet person to me.

If you want to get to know each other in real life, sign up for Match.com. Otherwise, keep sharing images of your awesome cards, ask questions about your cards, answer questions about my cards, buy/sell/trade your cards. Everything else is none of my business and i don't care to know who you are, or for you to know who i am...
It isn't just an "internet forum" to some of us, more like a clubhouse where we can meet up with real flesh-and-blood friends, people we have spoken with, shaken hands with, welcomed to our homes. If you want to isolate yourself from all that it's your choice, but don't characterize us as needy nerds hanging at the Net54 Lonely Hearts Club. You're way off the mark.

Just for you, Tee.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Clayton

LOL Thanks David, I needed a laugh

Clayton
Old 04-03-2011, 03:11 PM

[QUOTE=Kawika;883768]It isn't just an "internet forum" to some of us, more like a clubhouse where we can meet up with real flesh-and-blood friends, people we have spoken with, shaken hands with, welcomed to our homes. If you want to isolate yourself from all that it's your choice, but don't characterize us as needy nerds hanging at the Net54 Lonely Hearts Club. You're way off the mark.

Well said David.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
At the same time, if someone is being an arsehole, then ban them quickly.
Who determines who is being an @sshole? You? Me? Leon? Dan? Is Leon or Dan an @sshole for banning someone he thought was an @sshole? Should we ban Leon or Dan for being an @sshole to an @sshole?

See the problem with that?
Old 04-03-2011, 02:52 PM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Best,
The collector formerly known as JimB
Old 04-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Todd C

in my opinion...

All heated debates should have first and last name.

Just general card questions or "show me" threads are pretty basic...no name needed.

Last edited by deadballera; 04-03-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Best,
The collector formerly known as JimB
Hi Jim
Please see the "ps." in my original post. It is broken as I am having to get into the middle of too many debates and make decisions I don't want to have to make (so frequently). I realize it's not that bad for everyone else, but can you imagine getting PM's, emails and board posts asking you to intervene, multiple times every day. That is the way it is for me now.

I have many board friends who want to give their opinions on debates that are "gray area" things, with only having their USER ID's in their posts. Then someone else, maybe new to the board, fires a "Hey, you need to have your name in that post"...then the board friend gets offended if I say something to them, or blows me off, and whatever I do is going to upset one of them. This is happening multiple times daily. I have to rectify that somehow. regards
Old 04-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It is broken as I am having to get into the middle of too many debates and make decisions I don't want to have to make (so frequently). I realize it's not that bad for everyone else, but can you imagine getting PM's, emails and board posts asking you to intervene, multiple times every day. That is the way it is for me now.

Sounds like you need to hire a couple more moderators to help you out Leon
Old 04-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ease View Post
Who determines who is being an @sshole? You? Me? Leon? Dan? Is Leon or Dan an @sshole for banning someone he thought was an @sshole? Should we ban Leon or Dan for being an @sshole to an @sshole?

See the problem with that?
Seriously? If Leon decided to ban 10 people a day just for fun, that would be totally okay with me. It's his ball. If he wants to take it away from people, that's his choice, and I have the utmost confidence in him.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206