NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-24-2010, 12:38 PM

Have already returned ball for full refund, nothing lost, no worries.....Thanks though, got caught up in a moment. Sure it has never happened to anyone on this board....
Old 12-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdavis34 View Post
Have already returned ball for full refund, nothing lost, no worries.....Thanks though, got caught up in a moment. Sure it has never happened to anyone on this board....
Thanks for posting your thoughts and your auto's here. Thanks for taking the time to search out the information and get the answers you need. I'm just a collector and have I have fell pray to fakes too. I think it's important to look at the Mantle auto's again and look for some of the "tells".

First you will notice that despite being shaky, the M's (1/2 moons) are very narrow to start with. The baseline of the "Mickey" is almost always perfect. Notice how in the forged ball the "k" drops below the baseline. It also might appear as "Milkey" as the c points up too much. The curved top of the K also generally lines up with tail of the y. The Ma in Mantle is always the biggest tells for me. There is no slow moving curve where the M attaches to the a. It is usually more of a flick or runs up the a. It also would appear to read in the forged item," Mautle".

These are some I use to spot obvious forgeries. These guys here are pros and sometimes they probably are a little harsh like I am too because we are all just sick that this can keep happening at such a frightening level. If anyone knows the score it's Richard, Jodi, TT2 and especially Shelly, who lived the tale. Thanks Shelly for adding to the discussion. Once you know what to look for, these obvious forgeries actually just jump right out at you.

Compare this authentic signature to the ss ball you have and I think you would agree there is no comparison.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences and nice job getting your money back. I hope you stay active on the board. Merry Christmas to all. FUDD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mickey Mantle #3 .jpg (70.1 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 12-24-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:24 PM

I do appreciate all of you guy's help. It did get me to thinking where my stuff came from because I have been collecting for 30+ years. I bet my DiMaggio stuff is probably fake as well! The Williams/DiMaggio stuff was probably purchased in the late 80's/early 90's from an advertisement in SCD. I will have to go look at my fake certificates to see from who. The Mantle I thought was from my soon to be Aunt. The rest of my auto's have been from shows where I have seen them sign. I have probably bought 1-2 from Ebay in my life, obviously 1 of them the big disaster that caused all of this. I will never sell any of it and pass it to my son who I guess one day will figure out that his Mantle, DiMaggio, and Williams stuff is no good, but that is a VERY small part of what I have collected so that is ok.

P.S.Does anyone have an opinion on Coach's Corner Auctions???? I have bought some older "cuts" from them through the years....
Old 12-24-2010, 02:27 PM
Christopher Williams

Default Coach's Corner Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdavis34 View Post
I do appreciate all of you guy's help. It did get me to thinking where my stuff came from because I have been collecting for 30+ years. I bet my DiMaggio stuff is probably fake as well! The Williams/DiMaggio stuff was probably purchased in the late 80's/early 90's from an advertisement in SCD. I will have to go look at my fake certificates to see from who. The Mantle I thought was from my soon to be Aunt. The rest of my auto's have been from shows where I have seen them sign. I have probably bought 1-2 from Ebay in my life, obviously 1 of them the big disaster that caused all of this. I will never sell any of it and pass it to my son who I guess one day will figure out that his Mantle, DiMaggio, and Williams stuff is no good, but that is a VERY small part of what I have collected so that is ok.

P.S.Does anyone have an opinion on Coach's Corner Auctions???? I have bought some older "cuts" from them through the years....
OMG!!! All you have to do is "Google" Coach's Corner Auctions and you'll find out everything you need to know.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:35 PM

Haha, I am officially out of the autograph collecting business...............
Old 12-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Richard Simon

The Coach's Corner cuts make fine kindling.
Got a fireplace?
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 12-24-2010, 02:57 PM

I guess the good news is I will not EVER be ripped off again and the bad news is well, that is obvious. I will choose to laugh as to not cry, right.....On a teacher/coach salary this is a complete beat down on Christmas nonetheless....Curses for buying a stupid 500 HR ball and someone tipping me off to this site!!!!! Ignorance is BLISS!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha