NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Don

Mordecai Peter Centennial Three Finger Brown.

The name alone sets him apart.

At his peak from 1906-1909, he was one of the best, if not the best, pitcher in baseball.

He owned the head to head match ups with Christy Mathewson. There's a newspaper article quote in Crazy '08 that sums it up. "The only way the Giants could beat the Cubs is if they find a pitcher with two fingers" (paraphrase)

He seems like a humble down to earth regular guy. Definitely one of the most underrated HOFers in my opinion.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Rob Miller

Default Rube

My favorite all time pre-war ballplayer is Rube Waddell.

Besides being one of, if not the most eccentric figure of his day, he was also one of the best pitchers of all time.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robextend View Post
My favorite all time pre-war ballplayer is Rube Waddell.

Besides being one of, if not the most eccentric figure of his day, he was also one of the best pitchers of all time.
+1

"He began that year (1903) sleeping in a firehouse in Cadmen, New Jersey and ended it tending bar in a saloon in Wheeling, West Virginia. In between those events he won 22 games for the Philadelphia Athletics, played left end for the Business Men's Rugby Football Club of Grand Rapids, Michigan, toured the nation in a melodrama called The Stain of Guilt, courted, married and became separated from May Wynne Skinner of Lynn, Massachusetts, saved a woman from drowning, accidentally shot a friend through the hand, and was bitten by a lion." -baseball historian Lee Allen
Old 06-10-2010, 01:02 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Good choices all. I am a Laughing Larry Doyle guy myself, secondbaseman for the Giants. Just an interesting guy and one who history for some fickle reason diminished. Very good leader, recognized as a superstar during his day. Late in life contracted TB and entered a sanitorium. He was the last person to move out once an effective treatment had been developed. Lived 20 years after that.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:05 PM

Default Ty Cobb

Lichtman -

Wow nice Cobby. I have never seen that card before.

Troey - Cobb would have to be my favorite. I wonder what made the guy tick....some of the stories I've read about him make him a one-of-a-kind odd ball. I've walked the same streets Cobb walked in downtown Detroit past some of his favorite hang outs and often wondered what motivated the guy.

Zach Wheat
Old 06-10-2010, 02:07 PM

Napoleon Lajoie. Aside from being underrated because of Cobb's presence he was a dignified, classy player and they named the team after him for Christ's sake!
Old 06-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Napoleon Lajoie. Aside from being underrated because of Cobb's presence he was a dignified, classy player and they named the team after him for Christ's sake!
I would have guessed Jackson for you lol.
Mine is probably Wagner -- no less an authority than Sam Crawford said he was even better than Cobb.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Ken McMillan

Elmer Miller because he was a distant relative and Team mate at Ruth's in the 1921 World Series
Old 06-10-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I would have guessed Jackson for you lol.
Mine is probably Wagner -- no less an authority than Sam Crawford said he was even better than Cobb.
. In regards to Crawford's statement about Wagner, Crawford notoriously HATED Cobb so I would take his statement with a grain of salt. Cobb is probably the second greatest player ever after Babe. I'd put Wagner in the top 10 with the likes of Hornsby, Gehrig and others.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Brett,

Just today I was reading Sports Illustrated, and with Ken Griffey Jr.'s retirement, the magazine assembled its all-time team of Hall of Famers who retired without a World Series ring. Right away I looked at the second base spot, expecting to see Lajoie. Of course SI went with Ryne Sandberg. I laughed.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Brett,

Just today I was reading Sports Illustrated, and with Ken Griffey Jr.'s retirement, the magazine assembled its all-time team of Hall of Famers who retired without a World Series ring. Right away I looked at the second base spot, expecting to see Lajoie. Of course SI went with Ryne Sandberg. I laughed.
What a joke. Sandberg is SO overrated it's ridiculous... Good player, but saying he's better than Lajoie is literally like saying Patrick Ewing was better than Chamberlain. Not even in the same class.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:53 AM
Frank Kealoha Ward

I like these 2

Old 06-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Jimmy

Default Who is your favorite pre-1930 player and why?

I would have to go with Buck Weaver, mostly because of the unknown and would have like to see numbers from him after 1919. He was a great all around player from what I read and he has some great history of just the average guy getting by in the majors.

Jimmy
Old 06-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Barry Arnold

Default fav

i,too, have been drawn to the notorious Buck Weaver lately.
i'm even having the Thompson Type 1 of weaver, sliding by Art Fletcher
in game 3 of the 1917 World Series, framed for a central place in my office.
i guess he's wooing me like the Joe Jackson has always done.

best,
barry
Old 06-12-2010, 05:44 AM

Dode Paskert
One of the fastest players of the era and arguably the best outfielder (Fred Lieb said he made the best catch he ever saw). A nice guy and a hero (saved 5 kids in a 1921 fire). Also played on the Phils only WS team until 1950. Suffered with the nickname Dode (meaning not too bright). Had to name my dog after him.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:04 AM

Default For Me, It's Cobb

Detroit's Genius in Spikes. Aside from his obvious talent on the diamond, his unique personality and scorching ambition has always intrigued me. Besides, I grew up in Detroit and spent many an hour gazing over the same emerald green field on which he starred.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
Mordecai Peter Centennial Three Finger Brown.

The name alone sets him apart.

At his peak from 1906-1909, he was one of the best, if not the best, pitcher in baseball.

He owned the head to head match ups with Christy Mathewson. There's a newspaper article quote in Crazy '08 that sums it up. "The only way the Giants could beat the Cubs is if they find a pitcher with two fingers" (paraphrase)

He seems like a humble down to earth regular guy. Definitely one of the most underrated HOFers in my opinion.
Don, good choice.

1909 Ramly T204

My choices, both sociopaths:

1914 Mino Cigarettes T216

1917 Boston Store H801-8
Old 06-10-2010, 12:21 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Hughie Jennings, very sad end to his life. Crazy on the field with his poses captured in history

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 06-10-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Jim

Default the one the only

I know this might be a little clicheish but even considering just as a pitcher alone got to give the nod to George Herman Ruth.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Jason

Default Jeff, tremendous degree of inferred self-awareness suggested here...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Don, good choice.
My choices, both sociopaths: