NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-18-2010, 09:42 AM
Matt Miller

Default New to Boards and T206's

Let me say that I really enjoy these boards. The professionalism of how Leon runs the boards and the collective knowledge of the members is really something to be proud of. I have spent alot of time over at the CU Boards over the last couple years, but find myself gravitating from those boards to Net 54 for all the reason's above.

With that being said...I would love some help from these boards. I am a Post War card collector that focuses on Musial and Clemente cards and the key Post War HOF RC's (Aaron, Mantle, Mays, Koufax, etc) but would really like to add a T-206 card from the following players: Cy Young, Ty Cobb and Christy Matthewson to my collection of cards, to one day pass down to my children. I have no idea which cards I should be looking to purchase, nor know nothing about the different backs these cards come in. I guess what I am asking is, What pose should I look to purchase these cards in? What backs? I dont know which backs are really rare, and which are somewhat easier to find these cards in. I would prefer to stay towards the less rare back, as I dont want to pay inflated prices on these already pricey cards due to more rare backs.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Old 05-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Scott Levy

Default If I had to choose only one card....

First,

Welcome to Net 54!

If I had to choose only one classic prewar card it would be the T206 Red Background Cobb.

This is such a classic card from the most widely collected prewar set. Depending on your budget I'd look to purchase somewhere in the G - VG/EX ($500 - $1200) range and I wouldn't be concerned about the back at all - just pick a card that 'looks nice'.

FYI...the most common backs are Piedmont and Sweet Caporal - Although Polar Bear and Sovereign are also quite common.

Other great choices are:
T206 Cobb Bat Off Pose
T206 Mathewson Portrait
T206 Cy Young Portait
T206 Johnson Portrait
T205 Mathewson

Last edited by scottglevy; 05-18-2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Edited to say Welcome.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Gr.eg Per.ry

I would do an "auctions only" ebay search for either Cobb, Young, and Mathewson cards. (Although I would definitely add at the minimum Walter Johnson, McGraw, Speaker and Lajoie).

Pick one of these players and follow some of their graded cards in your "watched items". Get a feel for their prices. Follow only graded examples by PSA or SGC with a common back such as Piedmont or Sweet Caporal. If you buy graded you will avoid fake cards and difficult to see condition faults. After several weeks of this, you'll have a good idea of the prices. Having watched several auctions to completion, you'll have the price info you need and you can bid away. Keep in mind these are the most popular T206 cards so you might have to bid very late to get a good deal.

The red background Cobb is much cheaper than the other Cobb variations. The other pose variations don't have as much of a price difference.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Peter Spaeth

Personally I like the dark cap Mathewson because I don't think the other two T206s look like him all that much. Hard to argue with the Cobb Red or the Young portrait, both are classics of the genre.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Paul

Default Mathewson

While I agree that the Dark Cap Matty is the one that resembles him most, I find good quality versions of the portrait to be really stunning:

From SGC Graded Cards

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Peter Spaeth

The real Matty (obviously the photo on which the T205 is based). IMHO the portrait doesn't look much like him; similarly, the Johnson pitching bears little resemblance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Christy_Mathewson_photo.jpg (9.5 KB, 130 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Barry Arnold

Default new

welcome aboard!!!
thanks for the pic, peter.
great to see the real Matty.

my fav and recommendation is the dark cap matty--the first T206 i ever bought some 26 years ago--and still have!!

best,
barry
Old 05-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Jimmy

Default New

Just have a look around and others here deal with other years as well, not just prewar

Welcome!

Jimmy

Last edited by jbsports33; 05-18-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:50 PM

One thing you should know is that the red Cobb (one of 4 Cobbs in T206) and the dark cap Mathewson (one of 3 Mattys in T206) were "super-print" cards...meaning they are amongst the most commonly found cards from all of T206.

For my money, I'd go with one of the other cards for each player. (If you like portraits, green Cobb and Matty portrait...If you like action shots, bat off Cobb and white cap Matty). Yes, you will likely pay a bit more, but I think the premium is worth it in terms of the relative scarcity.

Also, if you can find someone to sell you a card with a Sovereign back for the same price as a Piedmont or Sweet Caporal, I'd go for that for sure. I doubt you will find a seller who will do that - the cards are tougher than the literature suggests, I think.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Blair
Old 05-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Clayton

Welcome Matt!!

Glad to see you like the T206's also.Everyone else gave you great advice,so I can't add much to that.Good luck in your hunting

Sincerely,Clayton