NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Default personal collecting questions

Posted By: Josh

1. What is your focus today, in collecting? Completing the T3 and T207 sets.

2. What are the 3 cards you need most? N300 Anson , N300 Anson & N300 Anson

3. Do you like to trade, buy, or a combination when you do acquire your needs? Buy

4. Has the economy forced you to sell things you wouldn't have otherwise? No

5. What is your absolute favorite series, why? T206

6. How do you enjoy acquiring your cards most- Ebay, auction, BST, shows etc...? Auction and Ebay

7. What do you do for a living, how old are you and where do you live?
I am Contractor for the State of California. I work with Adults with Autism and Youth at Risk. I am 35 years old, I live in Santa Barbara, California....

Old 03-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JDRUM

1. What is your focus today, in collecting? '23-'24 Exhibits, E98, 1935 Goudey R309-2, HOF

2. What are the 3 cards you need most? '23-'24 Bottomley Exhibit, Greenburg R309-2, E98 Coombs (red)

3. Do you like to trade, buy, or a combination when you do acquire your needs? Buy

4. Has the economy forced you to sell things you wouldn't have otherwise? No

5. What is your absolute favorite series, why? Exhibits, real photography, unique poses and challenging

6. How do you enjoy acquiring your cards most- Ebay, auction, BST, shows etc...? BST, The National and Ebay

I am a Real Estate Director for a large corporation, 50, Suwanee, GA

Old 03-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

1. What is your focus today, in collecting?
--Anything PCL (especially Zeenuts), anything Willie Keeler, oddball Ruth cards (W519 etc).

2. What are the 3 cards you need most?
--Tin Top Keeler, W600 Keeler, any Zeenut HOFer I don't have.

3. Do you like to trade, buy, or a combination when you do acquire your
needs?
--Any combination will do, but trading is by far the most fun.

4. Has the economy forced you to sell things you wouldn't have otherwise?
--No.

5. What is your absolute favorite series, why?
--Zeenuts. I live near Seattle and enjoy West Coast baseball history. Many players with Zeenut cards also played in the Majors. The mystery of the long-running series is addicting. Great cards spanning a long period of time: 1911 to 1938. Color, black and white, and sepia cards make for a good variety to collect.

6. How do you enjoy acquiring your cards most- Ebay, auction, BST, shows etc...?
--Shows are the best. Talking with other collectors and seeing cards in person is far more rewarding than browsing scans online.

--Attorney/accountant, 32 years old, 10 minutes north of Seattle, WA

Old 03-18-2009, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leslie westbrook

1. What is your focus today, in collecting? T206, '71 Topps, strange diversions and shiny football cards

2. What are the 3 cards you need most? N172 Charles Kelly (anybody?)....everything else is lagniappe.

3. Do you like to trade, buy, or a combination when you do acquire your needs?I prefer to trade, but I usually buy.

4. Has the economy forced you to sell things you wouldn't have otherwise?no. (not yet)

5. What is your absolute favorite series, why? T206 at the moment...

6. How do you enjoy acquiring your cards most- Ebay, auction, BST, shows etc...? discovering them stashed away by someone. It's actually happened, and it's so cool. But usually just BST and Ebay.

I'm a professional photojournalist (news, sports...a little of everything) I love shooting LSU and Saints football. The only baseball I shoot is high school and college...also fun!

and I'm 29...living in Lafayette, LA

Old 03-19-2009, 02:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David McDonald

Trying to finish an E93 set (need 6 cards) I started last year and a '33-'34 WWG Ice Kings hockey set (need 7 cards). Otherwise my focus is unfocused, just like to jump on the occasional killer card.

Any of the E93s I lack, an IK Howie Morenz and if there is a Zeenut Oana with coupon in excellent eye-appeal condition out there somewhere I want it.

3. Do you like to trade, buy, or a combination when you do acquire your needs?
Mostly buy but have conducted several win-win trades with board members of late.

**** the economy.

That's like asking OctoMom which is her favorite baby. Guess I lean toward the "painted" sets: '53 Topps, '33 Goudeys, Turkey Reds etc. Why? They are miniature works of art that idealize our beloved National Pastime. House on fire? Probably grab the T3s first.

6. How do you enjoy acquiring your cards most- Ebay, auction, BST, shows etc...?
Something to be enjoyed no matter how cards are acquired. Most awesome cards generally come from auction. BST is great because of the personal communication with other collectors. Shows I have been to have been Big Fun, like Toys'R'Us for cardboard junkies.

Retired Professional Land Surveyor, pushin' sixty, and live in Honolulu.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt Goebel

1. Like many, focus is relative but I am primarily interested in Cuban/Puerto Rican cards of Negro Leaguers. I am also working on a Kahns Clemente run (missing only 1) and trying to get all the OJ pose variations for Tony Mullane (I have 4).

2. 1958 Kahns Clemente, William Patterson Hornsby, an N173 HOFer.

3. I mostly buy, but I've already had a great trade this year.

4. I'm lucky in that it hasn't forced me to sell anything yet, actually quite the opposite. I had planned to sell a few items this year, but I am going to hold off for a while until the marketplace is more favorable.

5. 1923-24 Billikens! This Cuban issue is extremely rare, has amazingly beautiful photos and great player selection including 5 Negro League HOFers and many other stars.

6. Many of my favorite transactions have been private deals with other collectors.

7. I am a partner in a small oil & gas production company, 44 years old and live in the Denver metro area.

BTW, thanks Leslie - lagniappe is my new favorite word.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Poses

1. Highlanders/Yankees- all players, from specific sets- T201, 202, 205,206,207,213,215. E90,92,94,97,98,102,CJ,M116, a few E series' from the '20s, etc. Diamond Stars, 1933 Goudey, 1948-53 Bowman.

2. E94 Patsy Dougherty, M116 Stallings, E97 Hemphill

3. Like trading, but mostly buy.

4. No.

5. Good question. Since I only collect Yankees cards, I seldom consider every card in any given series. If I were to focus on a complete set, I'd go with E90s or 1952 Bowmans. Neither of those sets has a single card I wouldn't want to look at.

6. How do you enjoy acquiring your cards most- My preference is the BST. I'd rather deal directly with like-minded, card obsessed people than support eBay. But the truth is that (in spite of my preference to operate otherwise) I buy more from eBay and auction houses than the BST. I like the idea of card shows, but haven't been to a good one in years.

7. I'm 33. I work for the family business- supermarkets/food wholesale/retail in NYC. I live in Cold Spring, NY.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

1. What is your focus today, in collecting? FOCUS? what is that?

2. What are the 3 cards you need most? CJ Jackson, 206 Matty, 33 Goudey Ruth

3. Do you like to trade, buy, or a combination when you do acquire your needs? Buy vintage, trade and sell modern.

4. Has the economy forced you to sell things you wouldn't have otherwise? not yet, knock on wood.

5. What is your absolute favorite series, why? T206.. just the iconic art.. symbolic of early 20th century.

6. How do you enjoy acquiring your cards most- Ebay, auction, BST, shows etc...? BST and eBay.

7. What do you do for a living, how old are you and where do you live? Network Engineer, 44, Atlant, GA.

marty
Old 03-21-2009, 02:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bilko G

1. What is your focus today, in collecting? NY Yankees greats, Hockey greats

2. What are the 3 cards you need most? who knows, too many to list lol

3. Do you like to trade, buy, or a combination when you do acquire your needs? Mostly buy, but enjoy trading especially in person

4. Has the economy forced you to sell things you wouldn't have otherwise? not yet, knock on wood.

5. What is your absolute favorite series, why? T206 just the history of the set and the great art

6. How do you enjoy acquiring your cards most- Ebay, auction, BST, shows etc...? Shows are the absolute best, buy a lot on ebay though

7. What do you do for a living, how old are you and where do you live? Sell modern cards and collectibles, Part time Warehouse worker, 32 years old, Calgary, Canada

Bilko

Old 03-21-2009, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenny Cole

1. What is your focus today, in collecting? HOF and star cards.

2. What are the 3 cards you need most? Tip Top Dreyfuss, Allegheny Selee, Cabanas or Punch Pete Hill. The only one I have any reasonable chance of obtaining is Dreyfuss.

3. Do you like to trade, buy, or a combination when you do acquire your needs? I generally buy, although trading is fun when you can do it.

4. Has the economy forced you to sell things you wouldn't have otherwise? No.

5. What is your absolute favorite series, why? N162 Goodwin Champions, with T227 a close second. Both have beautiful artwork.

6. How do you enjoy acquiring your cards most- Ebay, auction, BST, shows etc...? However I can get them. Shows are great, but the vast majority of my cards come from eBay and auction houses.

7. What do you do for a living, how old are you and where do you live? Attorney, 47 years old, Norman, Oklahoma.

Kenny Cole

Old 03-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Mohler

What is your focus today, in collecting? Mostly postcards and postcard sized cards like exhibits and the Pens sets.

2. What are the 3 cards you need most? My biggest wants are a couple of Pinkerton postcards (Mack, Lajoie, Wagner).

3. Do you like to trade, buy, or a combination when you do acquire your needs? I purchase almost everything. I very rarely do any trading mostly because I don't seem to have what other people want!

4. Has the economy forced you to sell things you wouldn't have otherwise? No.

5. What is your absolute favorite series, why? Pinkerton postcards. I bought three of them at a local estate auction. It is the only "find" that I ever made.

6. How do you enjoy acquiring your cards most- Ebay, auction, BST, shows etc...? Most of them come from Ebay. Once in a while I win an auction.

7. What do you do for a living, how old are you and where do you live? Real estate Attorney, 41 years old, Lancaster, PA.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lance

A: M116, T207, & T205 sets along with cherry picking anything vintage.

A: M116 Honus Wagner, M116 Ty Cobb, & T205 Christy Mathewson/Addie Joss-Toss-up

A: BUY - I have an addiction!!

A: No, I fortunately in a profession that is unaffected by the economy.

A: Today it seems to be T205's, subject to change with every visit to B/S/T & eBay.

A: By any and all means.

A: Currently working in the oil refining industry as a pipe fitter, 38, Mobile, AL - home location - currently working in New Orleans, LA.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeB

1. What is your focus today, in collecting? BF2, R312, T206, T202, N172, Old player endorsed split finger gloves in box and old player endorsed store model bats.

2. What are the 3 cards you need most? R312 DiMaggio, N172 Louisville player, Most BF2 HOFers

3. Do you like to trade, buy, or a combination when you do acquire your needs? Mostly Buy

4. Has the economy forced you to sell things you wouldn't have otherwise? Not yet.

5. What is your absolute favorite series, why? N172. Altough I don't have many, I am amazed at the number of players and poses.

6. How do you enjoy acquiring your cards most- Ebay, auction, BST, shows etc...? Private sales and The National.

7. What do you do for a living, how old are you and where do you live? Veterinarian, 43, Louisville, Ky.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sandy Schwartz

A: Mid-grade type/set collecting of N,E,and D cards

A: Take your pick: E97 B&W, E94 overprint, N167, N175 (large), K-Bats Team

A: Only cards flowing in for the foreseeable future

A: My wife won't let me sell her jewelry, and that would go long before any of my cards

A: Always had an affinity for N43's. Most beautiful cards ever made IMHO. E107 a close second though for their plain austerity.

A: Enjoy? Used to love buying raw at card shows but those days are almost gone.

A: Own a consulting firm, 48, New Jersey

Sandy Schwartz

Old 03-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan McHugh IV

My main focus right now would be obtaining HOF Rookies Auto'd, especially of deceased players. My 1st goal was collecting HOF Rookies but I had to sell those to pay for these Auto RC's

Ty Cobb Auto on a card from his playing days preferbly a 1907 AC Dietsche or Wolverine News(if it exists) or not auto'd
1925 Exhibit Lou Gehrig
Any pre-1948 HOF Rookie signed

I would prefer to trade but almost always end up buying

Yes, unfortunately. My HOF rookie collection has dwindle down to only a few cards now.

I love the e98's and once I'm in a good spot financially I would love to start up collecting the set.

eBay has the widest range for my collection, but I also really like making purchases via BST and rarely I find things at shows but when I do they're cheap and relatively hard to find

right now I fortunately have a stable job at Yale University Library working as a library assistant.Its a really easy/boring job but for $18/hr its ok money and I have the best benefits in the state. I am 27 and live in Hamden, Ct.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dennis O'Brien

1. My collecting focus today is late night impulse buying. But mostly centered around Chicago players.

2. The three cards I feel that I need the most are M116 Bruno Block, 1909 Obak Harkins w/Vernon Tigers and T-3 Bill Burns.

3. When I acquire things I need I almost exclusively buy. Trading just seems too hard to have all of the necessary components converge for both parties. I successfully completed a trade over 20 years ago and that was the last time.

4. No, the economy has not forced me to sell things. I generally do not like to sell things because I know that seller's remorse will set in and I'll spend a couple of years tryng to reaquire the same item again because I realize it should still be in my collection.

5. My absolute favorite series are 1911 & 1912 Zeenuts because of the size, sepia tone and the poses.

6. In 2009 I acquire most of my cards on Ebay, but recently I have come to very much appreciate BST. No shows with vintage material take place within hundreds of miles of where I live.

7. I am a Law Enforcement Officer with the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources working on the Turtle-Flambeau Scenic Waters Area. I am fast approaching 62 and live in far Northern Wisconsin on the boundry of the Chequamegon National Forest outside of Phillips.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

1. What is your focus today, in collecting? A card here, a card there. Calling it "a focus" is a bit of a stretch.

2. What are the 3 cards you need most? Only one - Covaleski Zeenut.

4. Has the economy forced you to sell things you wouldn't have otherwise? Yes, I have sold becuase of the "scare" of the economy, but really did not "have to."

5. What is your absolute favorite series, why? 1913 Zeenut

6. How do you enjoy acquiring your cards most- Ebay, auction, BST, shows etc...? Auctions mostly.

7a. What do you do for a living - As little as possible.

7b. how old are you 46

7c and where do you live? California, USA

Old 03-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

1. What is your focus today, in collecting? I collect only vintage Cleveland Indians (Goudey, Playball, Topps, Bowman, Diamond Stats, Batter up, T206 etc..)

2. What are the 3 cards you need most? 1952 Topps Indians Rozek, Jones, Fridley

4. Has the economy forced you to sell things you wouldn't have otherwise? Not really

5. What is your absolute favorite series, why? 1952 Bowman. Not sure why . I just like the cards....

6. How do you enjoy acquiring your cards most- Ebay, auction, BST, shows etc...? Mostly Ebay and an occasional show at local mall.

7. What do you do for a living, how old are you and where do you live? Tampa, FL , Business Analyst

Old 03-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Completing the 1951-1954 Topps and Bowman sets my Dad collected as a kid. Trying to complete th '53 sets first.

1. 1953 Mays
2. 1953 Bowman Color Mantle
3. T202 Wood/Speaker - I've been fascinated by this set and these two players since I was a kid. Every time I see the card, I want to own it.

I like a combination, but I find buying online easier than trading.

Not yet, thankfully.

1953 Bowman Color. In my opinion, the best post-WWII set hands down. Beautiful, unadulterated portrait and action photos. They make the players

I enjoy in-person auctions the most, but probably buy more on eBay than anyplace. Local shows can be kind of depressing, but looking forward to getting back The National next year.

7. What do you do for a living, how old are you and where do you live
Internet Project Manager, New York City, 39 Years Old

Old 03-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

[linked image]

Here's an interesting Speaker/Wood I got from Smoky Joe's son, which I've shown before.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dean H

Mid-grade HOF's
T206 Cy Young Port, T206 Speaker & T206 Cobb Red
I'm open when I find a card that meets my criteria
No, but many times I do have to sell a card to purchase another.
T206 - The color and artwork is outstanding.
I love going to shows but unfortunately those are rare around here. Otherwise Ebay, auctions and BST are good too.
39, Pharmaceutical/Medical supply sales but would love a career change. I live just outside of Sacramento.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian p

Focus is for those who do not need eyeglasses

1930 Zeenut Camilli, 1932 Zeenut Bordagaray, 1909 Obak Shinn if not Fitzgerald

I like cards, so it doesn't really matter

No, but cheaper low condition cards have caused me plenty of financial grief as of late

The 1910 and especially 1911 Obaks--I'm a sucker for fantastically outrageous sunset backgrounds

I really liked the old days when you would get a seller's catalog or auction catalog a couple times a month or so...checking ebay and the BST really is a time consuming chore that has really made my hobby more of an obsession than it should be, but has definitely enhanced my collection

I live amongst the mid-fortyish nuts and bolts in the state of imaginary grace