NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-06-2024, 10:26 AM
Robert Williams

Dang Jeffrey. That sounds like a nightmare.
Old 03-06-2024, 10:32 AM
Don

Just looked, I paid $196 for a CPA at H&R Block to review my taxes.

My situation is not all that uncommon but I wanted the extra set of eyes.

It helps me sleep better.

1. W2 employee
2. 1099-K from PayPal
3. 1099-K from eBay
4. Brokerage account sales, dividends, interest, etc.

They found a few extra hundred bucks to deduct once I sent it to them for their review.

It was beautiful!

Pay the CPA!
Old 03-06-2024, 11:09 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshowandme View Post
Just looked, I paid $196 for a CPA at H&R Block to review my taxes.

My situation is not all that uncommon but I wanted the extra set of eyes.

It helps me sleep better.

1. W2 employee
2. 1099-K from PayPal
3. 1099-K from eBay
4. Brokerage account sales, dividends, interest, etc.

They found a few extra hundred bucks to deduct once I sent it to them for their review.

It was beautiful!

Pay the CPA!
Thank you! I used to pay the CPA. I forget what made me stop going to him. I felt like he didn't understand the nuances behind it. You can deduct a portion of your house, your electric bill, etc.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:22 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Hopefully you didn’t try to report a “loss” and tried to take a ton of deductions to offset your regular income. I am not a CPA but that is always a bad idea.

I do use a CPA but they have been very upfront with me about what I am supposed to be doing and what is and isn’t allowed.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 03-06-2024, 11:27 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Hopefully you didn’t try to report a “loss” and tried to take a ton of deductions to offset your regular income. I am not a CPA but that is always a bad idea.

I do use a CPA but they have been very upfront with me about what I am supposed to be doing and what is and isn’t allowed.
I did lose money on some cards. I took no deductions that weren't allowed. Bubble Mailers, PO Box, VCP subscription, Ebay fees, Paypal fees, etc.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:43 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

In my experience, most of the work is actually in being able to track down and produce all the records you need, regardless of whether you hire a CPA or not. I was audited several years back for poker winnings, and I handled everything myself. I would do the same again if I am ever audited for selling sports cards. But I also keep meticulous records and I don't try to write off shady shit.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:46 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
In my experience, most of the work is actually in being able to track down and produce all the records you need, regardless of whether you hire a CPA or not. I was audited several years back for poker winnings, and I handled everything myself. I would do the same again if I am ever audited for selling sports cards. But I also keep meticulous records and I don't try to write off shady shit.
I don't write off shady shit, but my record keeping skills suck big time. About the only things I'm good at is saving old invoices. And even that is hit or miss.
Old 03-06-2024, 12:13 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I don't write off shady shit, but my record keeping skills suck big time. About the only things I'm good at is saving old invoices. And even that is hit or miss.
You should be OK then. You just need to download all your eBay activity and get your bank records for any accounts you use and all your receipts. You can request data from ebay. It takes a few days for them to create a downloadable report for you. But it will have everything you need, buying and selling, with all the fees itemized.
Old 03-06-2024, 12:17 PM

Default I used to do my taxes with pencil and paper, Turbo Tax was

too expensive. Then a couple of years ago. I got a 1099-K from eBay reflecting 50K in sales. I immediately went to a CPA firm. There are many ways to deal with this, but we decided to go with Schedule C. As Calvindog points out, there is a ton of legwork, but there are also so many legitimate "expenses" including cost of inventory. And it gets easier and more routine every year.
Old 03-06-2024, 10:56 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Dang Jeffrey. That sounds like a nightmare.
It was a nightmare doing the work of finding every purchase and sale. But the agent was utterly ignorant of baseball cards and how they are bought and sold. That ignorance helped me plenty.
Old 03-06-2024, 12:09 PM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

The statement that you can get audited by entities other than the IRS is so true. I got audited by the CA EDD for my small business (3 family employee operation). The process took 18 months, at least 150 hours of my time, $5000 for my accountant and an additional assessment of $14.28, inclusive of interest and penalties. If they would have offered to settle for $5000 at the outset (even though I owed zero), I would have taken it.