NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-19-2024, 06:59 PM
Phil Reich

How do you see the Veterans Committee treating him? I can think of folks that were a lot worse that are in the hall ...Landis, Anson are just a few that come to mind.

Last edited by Svabinsky78; 01-19-2024 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-19-2024, 07:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svabinsky78 View Post
How do you see the Veterans Committee treating him? I can think of folks that were a lot worse that are in the hall ...Landis, Anson are just a few that come to mind.
I think eventually he makes it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-19-2024, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svabinsky78 View Post
He's going to need vets that didn't play with him or his peers. He wasn't well liked by many players, managers, or front-office guys before his...let's just call it post-retirement hobbies.

The "Wakefield incident" is yet another self-own unforced error for no reason whatsoever.

His skills say 2nd or 3rd ballot HOF'r at worst.

You have to be quite a remarkable person to manage to miss 10 ballots and only get 7 out of 16 votes in your first Vet's Committee vote.
Old 01-19-2024, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioCRN View Post
He's going to need vets that didn't play with him or his peers. He wasn't well liked by many players, managers, or front-office guys before his...let's just call it post-retirement hobbies.

The "Wakefield incident" is yet another self-own unforced error for no reason whatsoever.

His skills say 2nd or 3rd ballot HOF'r at worst.

You have to be quite a remarkable person to manage to miss 10 ballots and only get 7 out of 16 votes in your first Vet's Committee vote.
Seems like he thought the Vets Committee would vote him, I remember him saying he wanted to removed from the ballot on his last go around so that his peers could vote him in.
Old 01-19-2024, 07:56 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Schilling is a grade A example of the problems with the hall now. Steroids are waived for media favorites (Ortiz), clearly below level players are out in via committees filled with their former managers, owners and friends (Baines), Schilling is kept out for being vocally against media narratives (some of the things said about him being an asshole or right-wing true and some completely fictional and easily disproved), and others kept out over allegations without any public facing evidence and weighing of it (Vizquel, who was trending in and then immediately reversed and won’t ever get in now). We’re in another era where people’s agendas is overweighing any honest evaluation of performance. Historically the Hall has done pretty good, but this seems even worse than the Frisch era where the open corruption was more easily eliminated than the new ideology that merit is not the key component.
Old 01-20-2024, 05:58 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Schilling is a grade A example of the problems with the hall now. Steroids are waived for media favorites (Ortiz)
Do you suffer from confirmation bias? It was PROVEN time and time again Oritiz DID NOT test positive for steroids from the age of 29 to 40. Is some corruption where MLB would fail Manny and pass Ortiz being a Media favorite? Honestly, being a red sox fan I am bias, but there was no proof of him ever having a positive test. His name was tied to a list in 2003 of a random screening which was supposed to be anonymous. His best years were after that. I guess he just had access to the better stuff or was able to mask it, when others were still getting caught. Because we was good at an older age, and Dominican, he fits the stereotype.

Sorry but no positive, no PEDS and he was one of the most tested

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-20-2024, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Do you suffer from confirmation bias? It was PROVEN time and time again Oritiz DID NOT test positive for steroids from the age of 29 to 40. Is some corruption where MLB would fail Manny and pass Ortiz being a Media favorite? Honestly, being a red sox fan I am bias, but there was no proof of him ever having a positive test. His name was tied to a list in 2003 of a random screening which was supposed to be anonymous. His best years were after that. I guess he just had access to the better stuff or was able to mask it, when others were still getting caught. Because we was good at an older age, and Dominican, he fits the stereotype.

Giambi never tested positive either. He admitted he used and he used after 2003.

Ortiz was released after the 2002 season. He then signed with Boston at a time when he is said to have failed a test and began a HOF career. It is fair to talk about him in this context the same way it's reasonable to talk about Bonds, who played until 2007 and also never failed a test.

Last edited by packs; 01-20-2024 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-20-2024, 08:06 AM
Ben North

Quote:

LOL, Didn't Alex Rodreguiz pass ALL tests under the MLB drug testing program?
Old 01-20-2024, 08:15 AM

I think it's reasonable to talk about Beltre too. It never gets talked about but if you look at his career, he tended to play really well in contract years.

His final year with the Dodgers sees him hit 48 home runs, a total he will never really come close to again. He then signs a free agent deal with the Mariners.

His career with the Mariners was pretty average with him never hitting above 300 and topping out at an OPS+ of 112 over his 5 seasons there.

He then signs a one year deal with Boston and hits 321 with an OPS+ of 141 (up from 83 the year before though he was injured) finishes 9th in MVP voting and signs another huge deal with Texas.

Last edited by packs; 01-20-2024 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-20-2024, 11:44 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I think it's reasonable to talk about Beltre too. It never gets talked about but if you look at his career, he tended to play really well in contract years.

His final year with the Dodgers sees him hit 48 home runs, a total he will never really come close to again. He then signs a free agent deal with the Mariners.

His career with the Mariners was pretty average with him never hitting above 300 and topping out at an OPS+ of 112 over his 5 seasons there.

He then signs a one year deal with Boston and hits 321 with an OPS+ of 141 (up from 83 the year before though he was injured) finishes 9th in MVP voting and signs another huge deal with Texas.
All good points...

We watched LOTS of games when Beltre was a Mariner. Great glove, awesome arm... but "warning track power" is a generous assessment of his hitting as a Mariner. Granted, Safeco/T-Mobile is a Pitcher's Ballpark, however he still lacked the "clout". But he's still a sure first-ballot nominee, it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 01-20-2024, 12:38 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:

Can you read? When did I say he tested positive between the ages of 29-40? That is not a rebuttal to anything I said lol. When has that been the standard? You can cheat and do anything you want if it was before 29? It doesn't count if the public knows because the positive test leaked? Seems like a brand new standard created to exempt just one person!
Old 01-20-2024, 02:49 PM

Picked up a Beltre 1997 Bowman Chrome PSA 9 this month in anticipation of his selection. Got a bit of a discount because the holder was pretty scratched up, but don’t need resale value. Feel pretty good about it!

Brad
Old 01-23-2024, 09:39 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
there was no proof of him ever having a positive test.
Ortiz himself has admitted he failed a test. He's denied taking steroids but admits failing a test:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/d...sted-positive/
Old 01-21-2024, 01:08 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Schilling is a grade A example of the problems with the hall now. Steroids are waived for media favorites (Ortiz), clearly below level players are out in via committees filled with their former managers, owners and friends (Baines), Schilling is kept out for being vocally against media narratives (some of the things said about him being an asshole or right-wing true and some completely fictional and easily disproved), and others kept out over allegations without any public facing evidence and weighing of it (Vizquel, who was trending in and then immediately reversed and won’t ever get in now). We’re in another era where people’s agendas is overweighing any honest evaluation of performance. Historically the Hall has done pretty good, but this seems even worse than the Frisch era where the open corruption was more easily eliminated than the new ideology that merit is not the key component.
This. Plus 1000
Old 01-21-2024, 07:13 PM
James M.

Quote:

This is the part that stood out to me the most. Tale as old as time, when it comes to our Nations pastime. The writers have always had an agenda, like when they screwed Ted Williams out of multiple MVP's because they didn't like him. The same writers have always had an agenda when it comes to voting for certain candidates. Hell the Veterans committee wasn't much better.

What Schilling said was detestable, however he put together a Hall of Fame level career. He belongs.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.