NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 02-13-2023, 08:29 AM

Why do you assume the criticism is about whether or not you're intelligent enough to get an ID? That's not why people don't like voter ID requirements. Something like a driver's license costs money to acquire. A passport costs money to acquire. As you raise the bar for the kind of ID needed, you're raising the cost as well. There are people who can't pay for an ID. In the state of NY renewing your license costs $64.50.

It is true that most states offer some form of free identification, but not all forms of ID are accepted for all things, even when you think they would be. I can't take a domestic flight with my current NY state issued license. I have to show my passport to get on domestic flights because my current state issued ID is not considered secure enough to fly with.

My voter registration card, which I received upon registration when I turned 18, does not have a photo of myself on it or any other personally identifying information. It's my name and my address. This should be the only documentation needed to vote. It did not come at a cost and registering for it was the only thing I was required to do in order to vote. Having a driver's license doesn't entitle you to vote.

Last edited by packs; 02-13-2023 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Why do you assume the criticism is about whether or not you're intelligent enough to get an ID? That's not why people don't like voter ID requirements. Something like a driver's license costs money to acquire. A passport costs money to acquire. As you raise the bar for the kind of ID needed, you're raising the cost as well. There are people who can't pay for an ID. In the state of NY renewing your license costs $64.50.
Republicans have tried several times to pass legislation for voters to have a FREE, I’ll repeat, FREE, voter card that will be issued by the government to all potential LEGAL voters. Democrats of course block it every time.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:15 AM

My voter registration card was free. Why do I need anything else to vote?
Old 02-13-2023, 09:34 AM
Al Richter

So we can see YOUR identity ? 😊
Old 02-13-2023, 11:11 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
So we can see YOUR identity ? 😊
This rule only applies to some of us
Old 02-13-2023, 10:21 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
Republicans have tried several times to pass legislation for voters to have a FREE, I’ll repeat, FREE, voter card that will be issued by the government to all potential LEGAL voters. Democrats of course block it every time.
But yet the Dems and their brainwashed legion of followers were screaming at the tops of their lungs when it came to requiring people having vaccine passports and were perfectly fine with the mandates as well.

It amazes me that a group can be brainwashed and lied to so bad that they don't even recognize when they are being lied to and brainwashed even more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vote2.jpg (73.0 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by irv; 02-13-2023 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-13-2023, 10:42 AM

What are the similarities between the two issues? Voting is a right. Eating dinner at a business is not.

Last edited by packs; 02-13-2023 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-13-2023, 11:11 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
What are the similarities between the two issues? Voting is a right. Eating dinner at a business is not.
I have to give multiple forms of ID to exercise other constitutional rights. Shouldn’t one need to show they are indeed a citizen to have said rights as a citizen?
Old 02-13-2023, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I have to give multiple forms of ID to exercise other constitutional rights. Shouldn’t one need to show they are indeed a citizen to have said rights as a citizen?
I don't think there is a law that says US citizens are required to carry proof of citizenship. There are 15 states where no form of ID is required to vote and another 15 states that accept paper forms of identification that include utility bills, bank statements or your voter registration card.
Old 02-13-2023, 01:56 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I don't think there is a law that says US citizens are required to carry proof of citizenship. There are 15 states where no form of ID is required to vote and another 15 states that accept paper forms of identification that include utility bills, bank statements or your voter registration card.
Nobody said or intimated that one needs to carry papers everywhere they go? And nobody has made any claim contrary to your second statement?
Old 02-13-2023, 10:46 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
I’ve never understood this. If one believes that Russia is stealing US elections - wouldn’t one want FREE voter ID requirements to ensure only citizens are voting? It’s strange that the answer is invariably “no”.
Old 02-13-2023, 10:52 AM

I don't think anyone believes Russia is voting in US elections. When they refer to election tampering it's in reference to messaging across various social media platforms leading up to an election.