NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-18-2022, 12:05 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Geez it sounds like a complete nightmare to be a card seller on Ebay.
It's got flaws but it is a good, fast marketplace, pretty secure, and ends up being where I sell most of my stuff simply because I do not have really expensive stuff for sale and I hate the way AH's lump that sort of material into grab bags. You just have to carefully explain things so that people do not get unrealistic expectations.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-18-2022 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2022, 12:13 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
One more thing I would like to see from sellers and buyers both: honor the auction format. Sellers, finish the auction. Let it run. Buyers: don't complain on boards like this one that there are no auctions on eBay only to pitch a fit when a seller running an auction refuses to end it early because you offer him three bucks above the listing price.
This is the way.

I've offered a seller to end an auction once. I won it for 10% of my offer.

A number of sellers have claimed to have "lost or misplaced" a card I got a good price on at auction, then magically found it again to relist an hour later. Others have honored auction results that I would have a hard time blaming them for reneging on.
Old 04-18-2022, 01:06 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
This is the way.

I've offered a seller to end an auction once. I won it for 10% of my offer.

A number of sellers have claimed to have "lost or misplaced" a card I got a good price on at auction, then magically found it again to relist an hour later. Others have honored auction results that I would have a hard time blaming them for reneging on.
I'll never forget my worst....a 1954 Bowman Ted Williams SGC 6....sold for $500. Ebay was crashing left and right back then......I still honored the sale....the guy got it and flipped it for $1,200 a week later.....lol
Old 04-18-2022, 01:25 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
On an added note, I DO base my prices on what I think it will grade at, and what I think it will bring. If that bothers people, then move along.
Do you also buy raw cards by paying what a PSA graded card will bring? I can't imagine anyone not wanting PSA prices without any risk or grading fees.

Quote:
I have been on eBay since pretty much the beginning. In my personal experience 1 or 2 transactions per 100 are a pain in the ass. That ration has been consistent for me for the last 25 or so years.
Old 04-18-2022, 01:28 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Do you also buy raw cards by paying what a PSA graded card will bring? I can't imagine anyone not wanting PSA prices without any risk or grading fees.

I have been on eBay since pretty much the beginning. In my personal experience 1 or 2 transactions per 100 are a pain in the ass. That ration has been consistent for me for the last 25 or so years.
Depends on the card and what shape it is.....for example, if I think it is a surefire '7' with a possibility for an '8', then I have no problem paying the PSA graded equivalent for the raw card. It is 100% condition sensitive however.
Old 04-19-2022, 08:20 AM
Al

Great posts guys! Keep them coming!
Old 04-19-2022, 08:29 AM
J@son Per1

Quote:
Thank goodness for eBay. Haven’t ever had a serious problem there with around 1000 buy/sell transactions give or take. Always able to get better prices than anywhere else.
Old 04-19-2022, 08:36 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutcher55 View Post
Thank goodness for eBay. Haven’t ever had a serious problem there with around 1000 buy/sell transactions give or take. Always able to get better prices than anywhere else.
Same.....you would think the facebook groups and MySlabs would be viable alternatives. Everyone wants you to fire sale stuff there though. Bottom line....it's all about the eyeballs.
Old 04-19-2022, 08:36 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Low opening bid and material that I've rarely (or never) seen before
Old 04-20-2022, 08:25 PM
Al

I just received some vintage cards today that i purchased on Facebook. The seller sent the cards raw (no penny sleeves, no protection, just raw cards sandwiched between two loose fitting pieces of cardboard with rubber bands around the cardboard. I’m still shaking my head in disbelief that someone can be that clueless about shipping vintage cards.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:15 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I got one yesterday in a ziploc bag in an envelope. No stiffeners. For $4 shipping cost.

Or not...
Old 04-22-2022, 10:00 PM
Al

Does anyone know why Greg Morris cards use a blue background for the front of their card pictures and a black background for the back of their card pictures? Is their a benefit to using different colors? Just curious. Thanks
Old 01-04-2023, 05:01 PM

I like combined shipping costs!
Old 01-04-2023, 06:03 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunhitter View Post
I like combined shipping costs!
Greg Morris Cards on eBay has a fairly efficient system worked out with combined shipping. I believe they can combine shipping for cards purchased within 7 days.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 01-04-2023, 07:46 PM

What do you guys think about a vintage card worth less then $20 being shipped in one of those eBay standard envelopes? (not in a bubble mailer) Yay or Nay?

Last edited by homerunhitter; 01-04-2023 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-04-2023, 07:53 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Fine as long as the charge is $1 or less. Flat envelopes are rarely damaged by the USPS as long as cards are in Card Saver type holders.

Last edited by rand1com; 01-04-2023 at 07:54 PM. Reason: content
Old 01-05-2023, 03:36 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I want to see high-quality scans, not some photo taken at some random angle, and I want to see creases and wrinkles called out. I also wish sellers would put "CENTERED" in the listing title for well-centered cards (and NOT put it in there for off-centered cards).

There is no such thing as free shipping.
Old 01-05-2023, 03:46 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I want to see high-quality scans, not some photo taken at some random angle, and I want to see creases and wrinkles called out. I also wish sellers would put "CENTERED" in the listing title for well-centered cards (and NOT put it in there for off-centered cards).
I avoid all sellers who post cards with less than stellar images - If you are going to be a card seller - it is essential that you invest in a high quality scanner and take the time to learn how to use it. Phone images and crappy scanner images just dont cut it (for me anyway).
Old 01-05-2023, 08:01 AM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
What do you guys think about a vintage card worth less then $20 being shipped in one of those eBay standard envelopes? (not in a bubble mailer) Yay or Nay?
I'm fine with it. Heck I'd be fine with a PWE, although not if charged $5 for shipping
Old 01-05-2023, 08:52 AM
Val Kehl

Quote:
As a small-time eBay seller who is reducing his collection due to old age and a health issue, I'm lovin' this new eBay shipping method. It enables me to sell low-value cards for reasonable prices with reasonable shipping charges, and still receive a USPS delivery confirmation. I have made many such shipments, and I have not yet received any complaints from purchasers.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:32 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

For me, it is the transparency of the listing with the integrity of the seller, as evidenced by his feedback.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Shipping fees are not subject to sales tax, which is over a 10% rate for me.
They shouldn't be, but eBay certainly charges me tax on all S&H fees. I'm amazed they've been getting away with it for so long. It's criminal, no?
Old 01-05-2023, 03:51 PM
Paul Lehr

I guess I'm simple. All I want is:
  1. Clear front and back photos.
  2. Well packed BOXED shipping.
  3. Realistic pricing for the current market.
Old 01-05-2023, 03:56 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
They shouldn't be, but eBay certainly charges me tax on all S&H fees. I'm amazed they've been getting away with it for so long. It's criminal, no?
eBay only charges me sales tax on the BIN/bid value, not including the shipping. I just went and double checked orders, there's no sales tax on the shipping on my buys. It may work differently in different shipping address jurisdictions as there are so many local and county laws and rates.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:37 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Just so you know, sales (and use) taxes vary from state to state. Five states do not charge any sales taxes at all, and for the rest, some charge sales tax on some things, and some on others.

Some states may also include and charge sales tax on the S&H fees while others don't. I live in Ohio, which does charge the sales tax on the cost of cards I may buy on Ebay, plus also on the S&H costs to have them shipped to me. Some other states may not charge sales tax on the S&H feels. You have to look at the laws in effect for the state in which you have items you purchase off Ebay shipped to, to see if they're also going to charge you sales tax on those Ebay shipping fees. Hope this helps explain.
Old 01-06-2023, 08:52 AM
Ed Hans

Quote:
Shipping has been taxable in New York for a couple decades now.
Old 01-06-2023, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Just so you know, sales (and use) taxes vary from state to state. Five states do not charge any sales taxes at all, and for the rest, some charge sales tax on some things, and some on others.

Some states may also include and charge sales tax on the S&H fees while others don't. I live in Ohio, which does charge the sales tax on the cost of cards I may buy on Ebay, plus also on the S&H costs to have them shipped to me. Some other states may not charge sales tax on the S&H feels. You have to look at the laws in effect for the state in which you have items you purchase off Ebay shipped to, to see if they're also going to charge you sales tax on those Ebay shipping fees. Hope this helps explain.
I was aware of most, but not all of that. Thanks. Being Canadian, I'm forced to ship many things to U.S. addresses because American sellers can't, won't or don't know how to ship up here. Either that or they refuse to stray away from the colossal eBay scam that they've cutely named the Global Shipping Program. $20 S&H for a 99 cent item. I have things shipped to a few different states, all of which charge tax on the shipping.
Old 01-06-2023, 11:29 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Describe the card - not the slab. Don't just say something like "PSA 4" and be done with it. Wrinkles/creases often do not show up in scans, and returns are a pain in the ass for both parties.

Reinforce the card with cardboard when packaging/shipping

Combine shipping cost on multiple purchases

Use blue painters tape on the toploader
Old 01-06-2023, 11:34 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
As a small-time eBay seller ... I'm lovin' this new eBay shipping method. It enables me to sell low-value cards for reasonable prices with reasonable shipping charges, and still receive a USPS delivery confirmation. I have made many such shipments, and I have not yet received any complaints from purchasers.
Ditto. Frankly, if I am buying a cheap card, I don't want to pay an extra 20% for expensive card shipping. I find it stimulates sales of $5-$20 cards to be able to offer inexpensive shipping. Win for me moving product and win for the buyer who is spared the higher costs of shipping.

Or not...
Old 01-06-2023, 11:51 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
I was aware of most, but not all of that. Thanks. Being Canadian, I'm forced to ship many things to U.S. addresses because American sellers can't, won't or don't know how to ship up here. Either that or they refuse to stray away from the colossal eBay scam that they've cutely named the Global Shipping Program. $20 S&H for a 99 cent item. I have things shipped to a few different states, all of which charge tax on the shipping.
I hear you, and completely understand the thinking, and the unfair position it can put sellers like yourself in the middle of. It sucks, but there isn't a lot any of us can really do about it unfortunately. And I've yet to hear anyone say something totally positive about the GSP.

And then getting stuck having to pay sales tax in some cases on those GSP charges is just adding insult to injury. It throws an unfair disadvantage at sellers, like yourself, when competing against other sellers that don't have to saddle their potential customers with such GSP charges, and then tack on the added sales tax charged on those GSP fees as well.

Last edited by BobC; 01-06-2023 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-06-2023, 12:04 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

As far as the GSP goes, it is all defensive. I don't like it as a seller, but it is a lot better to lose the sale than having to eat chargebacks from unscrupulous international purchasers. Unfortunately, we in the states don't have a cheap, trackable international shipping mechanism, so you either use the GSP or you risk being defrauded. The honest folks get lumped in with the dishonest sacks of dung.

It does make for some weird outcomes. I had a buyer from Japan take down 25+ lots of cards I had then have a cow over the shipping costs. I even offered to refund him 90% of the costs since it was all going to go into one box anyway, but he refused to close and I had to file over two dozen non-paying bidder claims against him to get my eBay fees back.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-06-2023 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-06-2023, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
As far as the GSP goes, it is all defensive. I don't like it as a seller, but it is a lot better to lose the sale than having to eat chargebacks from unscrupulous international purchasers. Unfortunately, we in the states don't have a cheap, trackable international shipping mechanism, so you either use the GSP or you risk being defrauded. The honest folks get lumped in with the dishonest sacks of dung.

It does make for some weird outcomes. I had a buyer from Japan take down 25+ lots of cards I had then have a cow over the shipping costs. I even offered to refund him 90% of the costs since it was all going to go into one box anyway, but he refused to close and I had to file over two dozen non-paying bidder claims against him to get my eBay fees back.
I completely understand the need for security on larger-priced items, but I'm not sure how an $18-20 S&H fee can be justified for a nothing item valued at less than the GSP cost to ship. Both eBay and the seller are basically thumbing their noses at a section of the customer base, however small it may be. Might as well not accept international bidders rather than offending them. For low value items, just run the risk and send without tracking or don't ship internationally at all if you're worried about being scammed. Include verbiage in your listings indicating how much time sending regular mail between the countries can sometimes take. Believe me, all Canadians are already aware of this to begin with, but put the verbiage in there just to cover that base. That's my perspective. Then, there's the incredibly inflated "Import Fees" imposed by eBay on pricier GSP shipments. Combined with the shipping cost, the total has sometimes exceeded 40% of the cost of the item(s)! One guess where all that extra money is going. GSP items are sent through the USPS, so there are no potentially staggering brokerage fees as you sometimes deal with when using UPS and the like.

Also, I certainly hope that most international buyers do understand that a nice amount of that inflated GSP S&H charge goes directly into eBay's pocket. It's yet another money grab. We know that it doesn't cost that much to ship something small like a card to Canada via USPS, even with tracking. Let's not even begin to speculate what sort of discount shipping price eBay has negotiated with the USPS for GSP items, either.

Forgive the derailment from the subject at hand. As is easily seen, this is a sore spot.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 01-06-2023 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-10-2023, 11:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I can't count the number of times, in my business career, I have seen shipping charges be major profit centers. When I was in straight commission IT sales, many moons ago, we sometimes got paid on that profit we made. I think most/many businesses look at shipping as a profit center, but not all.

And as for what I want to see in a vintage seller? Again, big, clear scans of front and back. A description of any imperfections not seen on the screen or anything relevant to the aesthetics of the item I need to know. What I don't need is to know that Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs or Ty Cobb is the all time batting average champion.

Quote:
I completely understand the need for security on larger-priced items, but I'm not sure how an $18-20 S&H fee can be justified for a nothing item valued at less than the GSP cost to ship. Both eBay and the seller are basically thumbing their noses at a section of the customer base, however small it may be. Might as well not accept international bidders rather than offending them. For low value items, just run the risk and send without tracking or don't ship internationally at all if you're worried about being scammed. Include verbiage in your listings indicating how much time sending regular mail between the countries can sometimes take. Believe me, all Canadians are already aware of this to begin with, but put the verbiage in there just to cover that base. That's my perspective. Then, there's the incredibly inflated "Import Fees" imposed by eBay on pricier GSP shipments. Combined with the shipping cost, the total has sometimes exceeded 40% of the cost of the item(s)! One guess where all that extra money is going. GSP items are sent through the USPS, so there are no potentially staggering brokerage fees as you sometimes deal with when using UPS and the like.

Also, I certainly hope that most international buyers do understand that a nice amount of that inflated GSP S&H charge goes directly into eBay's pocket. It's yet another money grab. We know that it doesn't cost that much to ship something small like a card to Canada via USPS, even with tracking. Let's not even begin to speculate what sort of discount shipping price eBay has negotiated with the USPS for GSP items, either.

Forgive the derailment from the subject at hand. As is easily seen, this is a sore spot.

Last edited by Leon; 01-10-2023 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-10-2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I can't count the number of times, in my business career, I have seen shipping charges be major profit centers. When I was in straight commission IT sales, many moons ago, we sometimes got paid on that profit we made. I think most/many businesses look at shipping as a profit center, but not all.
Very true. And I understand that position. In the case of eBay/GSP, though, it's the level of greediness in those huge fees that infuriates me. With the amount of business they do in this regard, they could pad the charges to a more palatable level and still make bank.
Old 01-10-2023, 12:40 PM
Geno W@gn&r

Default #1 Pet Peeve

My #1 pet peeve is the seller that says "I have $XX into the card can't let it go below that." That's irrelevant, I don't pay for your mistakes.

Cheers,
Geno
Old 01-10-2023, 12:42 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by HercDriver View Post
My #1 pet peeve is the seller that says "I have $XX into the card can't let it go below that." That's irrelevant, I don't pay for your mistakes.

Cheers,
Geno
Me too it's like they want to use it as a guilt/leverage in their negotiation.

We are talking about the price now not what you paid for it. No bearing.

Next lol
Old 01-10-2023, 01:00 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by HercDriver View Post

Cheers,
Geno
Another side of that one is I really paid that much and won't sell it for less. If you really want it pay the price or move on. After all I was nice enough to say why I wanted the price I did.
Old 01-10-2023, 01:04 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I do not like when I make a reasonable offer and it is countered by something like 0.5% off. Just don't list it as "or best offer" then!
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 01-10-2023, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
I do not like when I make a reasonable offer and it is countered by something like 0.5% off. Just don't list it as "or best offer" then!
One of many reasons I don't list with OBO. But then, buyers still message trying to get a lower price. It's a little annoying. If I wanted to entertain offers...
Old 01-10-2023, 01:16 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Another side of that one is I really paid that much and won't sell it for less. If you really want it pay the price or move on. After all I was nice enough to say why I wanted the price I did.
True, there's a clear message there.