NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-16-2022, 07:49 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Is it possible Roberts is just following orders from the booth that is running real time analytics?
As teams have edged out most managers that like to actually manage by the conventional sense of the term in Baseball, I think most teams are essentially doing this, the manager is now more a manager of people than an actual manager of strategy, with the analytics departments picking how things will be done. They may not be micro-managing every individual change, but seem to be the ones setting the circumstances under which a manager is to do so.
Old 10-16-2022, 08:12 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Just out of curiosity, what does the math say about the difference between a 5-game and a 7-game series in terms of the probability of a major underdog knocking off a favorite? Just for fun, let’s say a hypothetical team with 89 wins was facing another hypothetical team with 111.
There are a few ways to estimate the probability that team A will beat team B for any given game. Bill James uses a logistic rating model that he dubbed the 'Log5 method'. It's basically the same thing as the Bradley-Terry model or the Elo rating system in chess. That formula looks like this:

Let P(A) = team A's true win%
Let P(B) = team B's true win%
Let P(A,B) = the probability of team A beating team B for any given game (yes, this ignores the variance incurred through specific pitching matchups and would need to be adjusted for home field advantage, but it is still a useful estimate over the course of a series)

Then,
P(A,B) = [P(A) - P(A)*P(B)] / [(P(A) + P(B) - 2*P(A)*P(B)]

In this example, the Dodgers win% = 0.685, and the Padres win% = 0.549. So, plugging those values in for the Dodgers vs Padres, we get:

P(A,B) = 0.641

In order to estimate the probability for a 5-game or 7-game series, we can use binomial expansion. The formula looks like this, where p is the win% of team A and q is the win% for team B (or 1-p) for any given game:

win%_7game = p^4 + (p^3)*(q)*choose(4,3)*p + (p^3)*(q^2)*choose(5,3)*p + (p^3)*(q^3)*choose(6,3)*p

win%_5game = p^3 + (p^2)*(q)*choose(3,2)*p + (p^2)*(q^2)*choose(4,2)*p

So, in our example here with the Dodgers having an expected win% of 0.641 vs the Padres, the likelihood of the Dodgers winning a series against the Padres could be estimated as:

Dodgers 5-game win% = 75.0%
Dodgers 7-game win% = 78.5%

I didn't look this up for the series, but it's probably a good estimate for what the Vegas line might have been for the Dodgers to win the series against the Padres before any games were played.

Also worth noting is that this is a pretty wide win% gap for baseball. The Dodgers were an historically elite team this year. Most series odds are going to be a lot closer than that. Baseball playoffs nearly is a game of flipping coins for the most part. Luck plays a much larger role in the MLB than it does in the NBA and NFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
How about NFL playoff where you lose once and you are gone? And flipping coins is a ritualized part of every football game.

Brian
That actually doesn't matter nearly as much as you'd think because in the NFL, the better team beats the weaker team far more often than in baseball for any given game. If you look at the win% for the best team in the NFL, it's usually pretty close to 90% for any given season, whereas in the MLB, it's typically only around 60%. In the NBA, it's closer to 80%.

The best teams win the championship far more often in the NBA and the NFL than they do in the MLB. It's just the way it is. There's a LOT of luck in baseball, and it takes a very long time for that to even out.
Old 10-16-2022, 08:16 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
So, in our example here with the Dodgers having an expected win% of 0.641 vs the Padres, the likelihood of the Dodgers winning a series against the Padres could be estimated as:

So a 3.5% difference in win probability between a 5-game series and a 7-game series?

Doesn't seem like it's enough to get too fussy about the Dodgers losing a short series. But I suppose if you were banking on that 3.5% to be the difference between victory and defeat, then your fussiness level might rise.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 10-16-2022, 08:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
As teams have edged out most managers that like to actually manage by the conventional sense of the term in Baseball, I think most teams are essentially doing this, the manager is now more a manager of people than an actual manager of strategy, with the analytics departments picking how things will be done. They may not be micro-managing every individual change, but seem to be the ones setting the circumstances under which a manager is to do so.
Maybe over 162 games that pays off. In a shot series no thank you. If Max Scherzer is in total command after 4 innings, every computer on earth could tell me to pull him in in favor of the no name middle reliever, and I would absolutely ignore that. A computer can't see command.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-16-2022 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-16-2022, 08:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
There are a few ways to estimate the probability that team A will beat team B for any given game. Bill James uses a logistic rating model that he dubbed the 'Log5 method'. It's basically the same thing as the Bradley-Terry model or the Elo rating system in chess. That formula looks like this:

Let P(A) = team A's true win%
Let P(B) = team B's true win%
Let P(A,B) = the probability of team A beating team B for any given game (yes, this ignores the variance incurred through specific pitching matchups and would need to be adjusted for home field advantage, but it is still a useful estimate over the course of a series)

Then,
P(A,B) = [P(A) - P(A)*P(B)] / [(P(A) + P(B) - 2*P(A)*P(B)]

In this example, the Dodgers win% = 0.685, and the Padres win% = 0.549. So, plugging those values in for the Dodgers vs Padres, we get:

P(A,B) = 0.641

In order to estimate the probability for a 5-game or 7-game series, we can use binomial expansion. The formula looks like this, where p is the win% of team A and q is the win% for team B (or 1-p) for any given game:

win%_7game = p^4 + (p^3)*(q)*choose(4,3)*p + (p^3)*(q^2)*choose(5,3)*p + (p^3)*(q^3)*choose(6,3)*p

win%_5game = p^3 + (p^2)*(q)*choose(3,2)*p + (p^2)*(q^2)*choose(4,2)*p

I didn't look this up for the series, but it's probably a good estimate for what the Vegas line might have been for the Dodgers to win the series against the Padres before any games were played.

Also worth noting is that this is a pretty wide win% gap for baseball. The Dodgers were an historically elite team this year. Most series odds are going to be a lot closer than that. Baseball playoffs nearly is a game of flipping coins for the most part. Luck plays a much larger role in the MLB than it does in the NBA and NFL.

That actually doesn't matter nearly as much as you'd think because in the NFL, the better team beats the weaker team far more often than in baseball for any given game. If you look at the win% for the best team in the NFL, it's usually pretty close to 90% for any given season, whereas in the MLB, it's typically only around 60%. In the NBA, it's closer to 80%.

The best teams win the championship far more often in the NBA and the NFL than they do in the MLB. It's just the way it is. There's a LOT of luck in baseball, and it takes a very long time for that to even out.
If the NFL season was 162 games, would the best team still win 90 percent, or is there something going on here with sample size?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-16-2022, 08:24 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Maybe over 162 games that pays off. In a shot series no thank you. If Max Scherzer is in total command after 4 innings, every computer on earth could tell me to pull him in in favor of the no name middle reliever, and I would absolutely ignore that. A computer can't see command.
To what extent is there also a psychological element in play when it comes to the opposing hitters?

If you pull a starter that has shut down the other team and left the other team completely bereft of all hope, does that give them a boost psychologically, thinking that now maybe they have a real chance to do some damage now that the starter who so thoroughly dominated them is out of the game?

I'm no psychologist, but I've often hypothesized at this possibility.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 10-16-2022, 08:27 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I have no doubt that, on average, after 6 innings putting in a fresh pitcher is more likely to help your team win over the course of a season with a large sample size.

I have serious doubts that, after 6 innings, pulling a star pitcher who is still doing well and putting in a rando will help your team win over the course of a season with a large sample size.

On a game by game basis, it is a stupid thing to do without factoring in the specifics of that day and how the pitchers 'feel' as teams keep finding in the playoffs.
Old 10-16-2022, 10:37 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
So a 3.5% difference in win probability between a 5-game series and a 7-game series?

Doesn't seem like it's enough to get too fussy about the Dodgers losing a short series. But I suppose if you were banking on that 3.5% to be the difference between victory and defeat, then your fussiness level might rise.
Ya, it's not a huge gap. The delta between 5 & 7 game series is not uniformly distributed though, meaning it's not always going to be 3.5%. It depends on the delta between team strengths.

For the Yankees vs Guardians series, the calculation works out to the Yankees winning a 7-game series 59.6% of the time and a 5-game series 58.3%, so it's even more narrow when the teams are closer in strength.

Honestly, the whole idea of having playoffs is kinda silly to begin with if looking at it from the perspective of wanting the best team to win. The way they did it back in Mantle's day was obviously best for that. You just played 162 games to see who the best teams are. Now you know. Just have one 7-game series between the Dodgers and the Astros, and call it good. But where's the fun in that (and the money)? Hence... playoffs.
Old 10-16-2022, 11:00 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:

Quote:
I have no doubt that, on average, after 6 innings putting in a fresh pitcher is more likely to help your team win over the course of a season with a large sample size.

I have serious doubts that, after 6 innings, pulling a star pitcher who is still doing well and putting in a rando will help your team win over the course of a season with a large sample size.

On a game by game basis, it is a stupid thing to do without factoring in the specifics of that day and how the pitchers 'feel' as teams keep finding in the playoffs.
It's not really a question anymore though. We have the data to be able to answer that now. Every arm eventually tires out. And a tired arm from even an elite pitcher is still outperformed by a fresh arm from a good reliever. And you can't really know when that elite SP's arm is going to tire out. It typically happens very quickly. They're throwing fire until all of a sudden they're getting shelled. And the SP can't tell you either. They always think they're fine. Egos get involved too. So you go to the data. You look at things like xFIP rates and WHIP rates and K/BB rate curves by pitch count and some of the more advanced sabermetrics for each guy over the course of a season, and you pull him when that curve shows he's most likely about to drop.

Quote:
If the NFL season was 162 games, would the best team still win 90 percent, or is there something going on here with sample size?
Yes, they'd still win 90%. Or rather there's an underlying "true" team win% that each team converges to over the course of a season. It happens very quickly in football and basketball, and it takes a very long time in baseball. Fivethirtyeight.com did study on this a few years back where they calculated the amount of information gain about team strength across various sports. They used a methodology developed by Tom Tango that examines variance of outcomes. The Cliff Notes are that a 17-game NFL season provides as much information about team strength as would 104 MLB games, and as much information as 19 NBA games.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...e-nfl-and-nba/

Last edited by Snowman; 10-16-2022 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 08:00 PM
Fred

Well Yankee haters, gotta wait another day to either celebrate or say "damn Yankees". Gotta feel sorry for those that drove from Jersey to see the game. Could have had a nice T206 HOFer for the tolls, parking and other money spent. Now they gotta do it again on Tuesday.
Old 10-17-2022, 08:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
It's not really a question anymore though. We have the data to be able to answer that now. Every arm eventually tires out. And a tired arm from even an elite pitcher is still outperformed by a fresh arm from a good reliever. And you can't really know when that elite SP's arm is going to tire out. It typically happens very quickly. They're throwing fire until all of a sudden they're getting shelled. And the SP can't tell you either. They always think they're fine. Egos get involved too. So you go to the data. You look at things like xFIP rates and WHIP rates and K/BB rate curves by pitch count and some of the more advanced sabermetrics for each guy over the course of a season, and you pull him when that curve shows he's most likely about to drop.

But for decades and decades, elite pitchers went the distance, and until very recently went 7, if they were pitching well, and countless low ERA seasons throughout MLB history support that they didn't lose that much effectiveness? How do you reconcile that with the notion that even elite pitchers should be yanked after 4 routinely?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-17-2022 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 09:18 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Roberts is an idiot. I have no doubt with a full season last year he would have found a way to make the Dodgers lose.

I love Kershaw and Chris Taylor and JT and a few other players and that is why I pull for them.

Hated to see Jansen, Seagar and Joc go last year but my second favorite player in the league was Freeman and the Dodgers got him so I was all in again...... Not sure about going forward. Staying up late and buying mlb package to watch Roberts screw it up again has really burnt me.
Old 10-18-2022, 07:06 AM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:
Originally Posted by campyfan39 View Post
Roberts is an idiot. I have no doubt with a full season last year he would have found a way to make the Dodgers lose.
Don’t you mean 2020? The Braves won it all last year.
Old 10-18-2022, 07:25 AM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsmithnocure View Post
Don’t you mean 2020? The Braves won it all last year.
Old 10-18-2022, 08:04 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
I doubt that anyone outside of Texas is rooting for the Astros. Go Padres!
I am.
Old 10-18-2022, 08:10 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what does the math say about the difference between a 5-game and a 7-game series in terms of the probability of a major underdog knocking off a favorite? Just for fun, let’s say a hypothetical team with 89 wins was facing another hypothetical team with 111.
Based on the regular season win totals, the 111-win team should beat the 89-win team 55.6% of the time. That gives the better team a 60.4% chance of winning a best-of-5 series and a 68.5% chance of winning a best-of-7 series.
Old 10-18-2022, 10:07 AM
Al Richter

[QUOTE=G1911;2274060]Olbermann was back on Sports Center just a couple years ago after giving up on his resistance programming. He’s “still” alive…

No political commentary intended

Old 10-18-2022, 10:11 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

[QUOTE=ALR-bishop;2274595]
Quote:
Olbermann was back on Sports Center just a couple years ago after giving up on his resistance programming. He’s “still” alive…

No political commentary intended

Not even one of his 2002 Topps 206 cards?
Old 10-18-2022, 04:16 PM
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
I agree with Olbermann's assessment. Yet another reason for me to watch old game TV broadcasts and listen to OTR games. I also think Dave Roberts is soon to be done in LA and Boone will be also after the Yankees are eliminated by Cleveland.
Hmm. Guardians ain't eliminating anybody, Boone is not going anywhere, and.... Guardians is such a crummy name, announcers wont even say it.
Old 10-18-2022, 04:22 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Based on the regular season win totals, the 111-win team should beat the 89-win team 55.6% of the time. That gives the better team a 60.4% chance of winning a best-of-5 series and a 68.5% chance of winning a best-of-7 series.
I think the Dodgers beat the Padres 14 out of 19 games in 2022. That puts them at 73.7% on the season. However, they only took 1 out of 4 games in the post season, that's 25%. Has a nice ring to it, 25%... let's type that again, 25%... it just rolls off the fingertips...

.684 win% (111 wins) vs .549 win% (89 wins) -

doesn't make sense... 25%...

Last edited by Fred; 10-18-2022 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-18-2022, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornhusker View Post
Hmm. Guardians ain't eliminating anybody, Boone is not going anywhere, and.... Guardians is such a crummy name, announcers wont even say it.
They should have renamed the team Guarindians, thus retaining the complete Indians name in the new team name, instead of just the 'dians' part.

They also could have settled on the Custodians, which of course is better than Guardians, as this would imply that the team is capable of a clean sweep of opponents. The Guardians name only implies being able to hold a late inning lead.

Brian
Old 10-18-2022, 05:42 PM
J@mes In.gram

Well, the Yanks proved me wrong. They did not fold up like a cheap suit after all. Next up, Houston.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 10-18-2022, 09:01 PM
Robert J. Miller

No tears here

GO PHILLIES!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2022, 03:28 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
This math is not correct