NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-16-2021, 09:02 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

So, who got the sheet in Lelands?

And when you bust it up I am interested in Cerdan.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-16-2021 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:14 AM
Michael Fried

That photo from Leland's got me to start trying to reconstruct the other sheet. When I first saw it, I asked the same question. Apparently the sheet was the basis for a single Jackie Robinson Leland sold. I too would like to know what happened to the other cards. Those may have been the group of graded singles that excluded the Robinson sold individually on another website in 2019 with each lot having a starting bid of $20. Most sold for less than $50. One received no bid at all, though one brought over $200. Since that auction, a dealer on eBay has been listing most of those (same PSA numbers) continuously with an asking price of $200 or more each. One now is at $2,500. That dealer has not been offering the Marcel Cerdan.

Last edited by abctoo; 06-17-2021 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:20 PM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
So, who got the sheet in Lelands?

And when you bust it up I am interested in Cerdan.
I misspoke as I assumed the Elgee sheet you pictured was the one that started me on the Louis Greenberg & Son quest. I looked at it again and noticed the writing on the set description backs of the cards as shown in your pictures. The sheet I initially saw had no writing. When I checked my records, I found the sheet I had seen was from a picture in a 2015 Sterling Auction.

I compared the images of the two, and while they are identical sheets printed from the same plates, they are not the same sheet. Most obvious is that on your sheet, Marcel Cerdan's elbow is not cut off at the margin, while it partially is on the sheet I saw. The perforations did not cut the cards in the same places, with almost a millimeter difference in alignment.

Great news. Where the sheet or its individual cards are, who knows, but we all can see another Marcel Cerdan. Sure would like to see a picture of the second sheet or any part of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z Sheet 1 (Side B), half sheet of 12 1b.jpg (76.3 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg z Sheet 1 (Side B), half sheet of 12 1a.jpg (75.9 KB, 393 views)
File Type: jpg z Sheet 1 (Side A), 24 cards 1a.jpg (84.7 KB, 393 views)
Old 07-01-2021, 12:33 PM

Default Need to get Jackie graded!

I am having frustration in that Beckett, PSA, and SGC all have returned my Jackie Robinson square cornered card and will not grade it. No explanation was offered as to why they declined. My best guess is they do not know how to categorize it. They did not charge me, so I know it is not a fake. From the thread on Jackie my best guess is...

This is not a 1947 Bond Bread card
This might be from the Festberg collection
This is most likely part of the 1949 Sports Star Subjects packs.

Since they can always grade the centering and quality of the card I am guessing the issue is they do not want to call it a 1947 Bond Bread card. Though I have seen SGC and PSA grade similar cards and call them bond bread.

I would like one of these companies (or someone similar) to certify the quality level of the card. I would appreciate ideas on how to proceed to get this graded, and which of the potential cards groups to submit this under. Please help! Pictures of the front and back are below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jackie Back Crop.jpg (40.8 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg Jackie Robinson Crop.jpg (65.3 KB, 357 views)
Old 07-01-2021, 09:05 PM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corflu View Post
I am having frustration in that Beckett, PSA, and SGC all have returned my Jackie Robinson square cornered card and will not grade it. No explanation was offered as to why they declined. My best guess is they do not know how to categorize it. They did not charge me, so I know it is not a fake. From the thread on Jackie my best guess is...

This is not a 1947 Bond Bread card
This might be from the Festberg collection
This is most likely part of the 1949 Sports Star Subjects packs.

Since they can always grade the centering and quality of the card I am guessing the issue is they do not want to call it a 1947 Bond Bread card. Though I have seen SGC and PSA grade similar cards and call them bond bread.

I would like one of these companies (or someone similar) to certify the quality level of the card. I would appreciate ideas on how to proceed to get this graded, and which of the potential cards groups to submit this under. Please help! Pictures of the front and back are below.
Unless some grading service arbitrarily assigned a name to your card, none would grade it.

From your scan it cannot be said if it is from:

1. The Sport Star Subjects square card set issued in boxes with W.S.N.Y printed on the back of the box. [W.S.N.Y. is AJ Wildman & Son, whose first issues were the 1936 W.S.N.Y. American G-Men horizontal and vertical sets.]

2. The Sport Star Subjects square card set issued in boxes with W.S.N.Y. obliterated on the back of the box. [With W.S.N.Y. obliterated, the issuer remains unknown, although like the unobliterated set, the cards and boxes were printed by Meyercord.]

3. The London Dry Beverage set but missing the London Dry rubberstamp on the back.

4. The Festberg Remainders. But it has yet to be definitively determined whether those remainders are of Sport Star Subjects Sets, London Dry or some other set(s)?

The card is authentic. Why do you need it graded?

Mike

P.S. In Post 383 above (dated 4/29/2021), I indicated that member butchie_t had provided detailed scans of all of the cards of the Festberg Remainders and that I would post them. I am working my best as time permits to post them along with additional scans that should help clarify which cards are the remainders. Thanks for your patience.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the feedback, Mike. I am not sure why some of these square cards have been graded in the past where you say none would do this. Maybe they have just learned over time on Jackie. I am not sure where to go from here, maybe nowhere.

As for why to have it graded I am surprised you would ask. Which would you rather have?

1952 Topps Mickey Mantle card with no grade
1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA grade 2 card
1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA grade 7 card

Grading authenticates that a vintage card is not fake and also the relative quality of the card. Also the marketplace will let you know the value others place on them via these ratings and that all cards are not created or valued the same.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:24 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corflu View Post
Thanks for the feedback, Mike. I am not sure why some of these square cards have been graded in the past where you say none would do this. Maybe they have just learned over time on Jackie. I am not sure where to go from here, maybe nowhere.

As for why to have it graded I am surprised you would ask. Which would you rather have?

1952 Topps Mickey Mantle card with no grade
1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA grade 2 card
1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA grade 7 card

Grading authenticates that a vintage card is not fake and also the relative quality of the card. Also the marketplace will let you know the value others place on them via these ratings and that all cards are not created or valued the same.
Each card in your example are easily identified as being issued from Topps and in 1952. Having any of the three would be a fantastic item to own.

Not being able to definitively identify that the card you submitted to three different grading companies should tell you all you need to know about that card and the subsequent set. I would really like the cards that I have to be Homogenized Bond Bread cards. But there are way too many variables for me much less a TPG to definitively answer that question.

I now believe my card set is likely from The Festberg Remainders and they are cool, old and mine. As to a catalog number to associate them too, I doubt greatly that will ever happen.

As to why some TPGs did grade some of those cards, it was early in their grading experience and mistakes were made. As you can see now, they learned and will not grade them any longer.

Last edited by butchie_t; 07-05-2021 at 08:27 PM.