NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Wayne......you remembered correctly. You are the Trivia King.

If I remember correctly....Boudreau is the only player/manager ever to be awarded the MVP.

Furthermore, the MVP awards were announced in the first (or 2nd) week of December 1948.
Which tells us that these LEAF BB cards were NEVER, ever issued in 1948. PSA is misleading
the hobby by labeling them a "1948" issue.

Thanks for your response.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Mickey Cochrane was the Tigers Player Manager in 1934 when he won MVP.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:27 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

It was the of late summer 1952 and our neighborhood gang, heavy into cards of course, knew the last series of those incredible new Topps cards were being distributed in our area and might even even now be sitting in our main outlet, the local drug store. Gathering our meagre resources, with some even pleading for an advance on their allowances, we rushed the store and, lo and behold, there were the shiny packs all lined up, as if waiting for kids like us. I had brought 25 cents, exactly half my weekly allowance, and quickly bought 5 packs. We all then gathered under a giant oak tree, opened our packs and started trading. Three of my packs had nothing notable, but the 4th had a Pee Wee and the last a beautiful, thank you Lord, Jackie. Since I was a Dodger's fan, I was thrilled and ran all the way home to show my Dad.
Funny, sometimes I can't remember my telephone number, but I recall that day with total clarity
Old 03-12-2021, 05:59 AM
Wayne V

Default Player/Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Mickey Cochrane was the Tigers Player Manager in 1934 when he won MVP.
I didn't notice in Ted's post, the back of the Lou Boudreau card had the answer to Ted's trivia question. It said Lou Boudreau was the only Player manager to be MVP. So Leaf had it wrong, too.
So there were two MVP player/managers. Very interesting.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:15 AM
Wayne V

Default Last packs bought

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I had no memories of who was in the first pack I bought. I convinced myself to stop collecting in 1970. I was too old to keep doing it, or so I thought.
Then in 1973 I was in a drugstore and I saw they were selling rack packs. I had never seen a rack pack before, so I bought a few packs. I got two 1973 Topps Pete Roses and one Roberto Clemente.
Those were the last packs I bought until I returned to the hobby in 1988.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:21 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

I opened an unopened Piedmont pack and pulled a t206 around 20 yrs ago... i know i know... no one would believe me and I didn't expect to pull t206 from it neither. There were no cellphone or easy access of video recorder back then so I didn't tape it. Anyways... i have been quietly buying that specific piedmont packs and hope to open them all one night when I got really drunk.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:55 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I don't have much left of my childhood pack pulls but I do have a few: 1976 Hank Aaron, 1980 Rickey Henderson come to mind. I have quite a few cards from my childhood and early adulthood but those were not pack-pulled. As an adult I've had terrible luck busting packs. The only really good card I've ever pulled is this one:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-12-2021, 07:27 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Fun time....Show-n-Tell us of experiences pulling cards from wax-packs in your youth

I sometimes wonder, if I just had started collecting cards when I began going to Kindergarten, I would also have these gems in my original collection.
There was a nearby Candy Store on our way walking to school back in the early 1940's.

BLONY Bubble Gum.....1941 Play Ball and R164 (1942-1943) cards

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 03-12-2021, 08:51 PM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
I opened an unopened Piedmont pack and pulled a t206 around 20 yrs ago... i know i know... no one would believe me and I didn't expect to pull t206 from it neither. There were no cellphone or easy access of video recorder back then so I didn't tape it. Anyways... i have been quietly buying that specific piedmont packs and hope to open them all one night when I got really drunk.
C'mon Chris. How do you leave us hanging like that?!! Who was the player you pulled from the Piedmont pack?
Old 03-16-2021, 06:31 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Fun time....Show-n-Tell us of experiences pulling cards from wax-packs in your youth

Reflecting back on hobbies in my youth, I regret not continuing Sportscard collecting after 1952. I moved on to stamps, coins, cars.....and Girls

I favored the BOWMAN cards, and I wish I had continued into 1953. Especially, the BOWMAN Kodakchrome color BB cards.

1953 BOWMAN wrapper.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 03-16-2021 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:08 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Some of the fondest memories from my youth are from the year 1949. There were some great movies that year..... The Sands of Iwo Jima, Samson and Delilah,
Twelve O'Clock High, The Monte Stratton Story (Jimmy Stewart does an excellent portrayal of a BB pitcher in the 1930's....check-it-out).

It all began with the 1949 LEAF cards, then followed by the 1949 BOWMAN cards. My memories of collecting these BB sets are still clear in my mind. I've written
articles on the LEAF set and BOWMAN set (read about them in the OLD CARDBOARD, Issue #9....and BASEBALL CARDS MAGAZINE, Spring 1983....respectively).

............ extremely rare 1949 PCL wrapper .................................................. ................... regular 5-cent 1949 wrapper

. . . .

........................ Rookie card ........................

V---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Rookie cards ------------------------------------------------------------------V

4th Series....complete 36-card sheet

Hey Guys,

Thanks for sharing your fond memories with us of when you started collecting Sportscards in your youth. And, let's continue hearing some more stories.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 03-20-2021 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Corrected typo.