NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-09-2020, 05:10 AM

Is that proof thinner than a regular card?

I have a couple and they are not as thick as a regular “Super ”.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
Is that proof thinner than a regular card?

I have a couple and they are not as thick as a regular “Super ”.
Yes mine is on a thinner card stock then the regular issue.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:30 AM
Alan Strout

Default Maine-ahs

I grew up in Maine and have been an Orioles fan since 1964. Major League players from the state of Maine aren't that plentiful. Cold weather and even snow in the spring make it difficult for most youth to compete with the players from the south. Maine has produced a few players over the years, most notable are Billy Swift, Danny Coombs, John Cumberland, Bob Stanley, Carlton Willey, Bert Roberge, Pete Ladd and Matt Kinney. If most of these names are unfamiliar to you, they are well known by baseball fans in Maine. All of these guys are pitchers. It's very tough for a position player to develop enough to reach the majors.

In recent years, the Orioles have had a good Maine connection in their organization. Surprisingly, all position players.

Mike Bordick was the first Oriole from Maine when he joined the O's, as Cal Ripken Jr transitioned to 3B. Mike grew up a short distance from me. I coached high school baseball for many years and Mike's dad would umpire many of our games. Mike is a great guy. He stills works the Orioles as a spring training coach and broadcaster.

Ryan Flaherty was an Orioles Rule 5 pick from the Cubs. Buck Showalter loved Ryan's versatility and he was the O's super utility during Buck's tenure. In 2004, Ryan's American legion team from Portland, ME won the national championship. Unheard of for a team from Maine.

Ryan McKenna is a current Orioles prospect that is moving quickly through the O's system and could make his Orioles debut soon.

Gary Thorne is the Orioles broadcaster. Gary was a lawyer by trade, but made a name for himself doing University of Maine hockey broadcasts. That led to doing NHL games and finally MLB games.

Mike Bordick and Ryan Flaherty

Bordick, Mike 1 - Copy.jpg Flaherty, Ryan 1 - Copy.jpg

Ryan McKenna and Gary Thorne

McKenna, Ryan 1 - Copy.jpg 2008 Postcards 12 - Copy.jpg

Footnote: Two other players from Maine include Louis Sockalexis and Clyde Sukeforth. Anyone know their significance to baseball history??
Old 12-09-2020, 03:42 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
Yes mine is on a thinner card stock then the regular issue.
Scott,

Is yours a blank back or regular back?
Old 12-09-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Scott,

Is yours a blank back or regular back?
Blank back
Old 12-10-2020, 07:41 AM
Alan Strout

Default Rule 5 Orioles

In recent years, the Orioles have been very active in the annual MLB rule 5 draft and and are expected to pick at least one player again today.

Held each December, the Rule 5 Draft allows clubs without a full 40-man roster to select certain non-40-man roster players from other clubs. ... Players signed at age 18 or younger need to be added to their club's 40-Man roster within five seasons or they become eligible for the Rule 5 Draft.

Last year the Orioles selected Michael Rucker and Brandon Bailey, but sent both back to their original clubs during spring training. I wonder if the Orioles had known the season would have been shortened, with expanded rosters, if they would have tried to keep one or both. I thought both pitchers looked good in spring training.

Brandon Bailey (2019) and Michael Rucker (2019)

Bailey, Brandon 1 - Copy.jpg Rucker, Michael 1 - Copy.JPG

Here are the most recent Orioles Rule 5 picks that stuck with the Orioles.
Some longer than others......

Richie Martin (2018) and Drew Jackson (2018)

Martin, Richie 1 - Copy.JPG Jackson, Drew 1 - Copy.JPG

Pedro Araujo (2017) and Nestor Cortes Jr (2017)

Araujo, Pedro 1 - Copy.JPG Cortes, Nestor 1 - Copy.JPG

Anthony Santander (2016) and Joey Rickard (2015)

Santander, Anthony 1 - Copy.JPG Rickard, Joey 1 - Copy.jpg

Jason Garcia (2014) and Logan Verritt (2014)

Garcia, Jason 1 - Copy.jpg Verrett, Logan 1 - Copy.JPG

T.J. McFarland (2012) and Ryan Flaherty (2011)

McFarland, TJ 1 - Copy.jpg Flaherty, Ryan 1 - Copy.jpg
Old 12-10-2020, 05:38 PM
M@rk Comer

Day 345 (December 10, 2020 – 345)

I believe this National Beer advertising piece is from 1967 following the sweep of the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 1966 World Series. A similar sign was posted earlier in the thread (#377) which is from the 1960’s with the same saying, “A team a man can call his own!”. These signs have plastic fronts, which are prone to cracking, with an easel back for display purposes.

1967 National Beer Advertising Sign

Day 345 National Beer Ad.jpg

I really like this photo of Brooks on the steps in the dugout from May 16, 1967 taken by a Boston Globe photographer Danny Goshtigian.

Day 345 Photo 1967 Danny Goshtigian Boston Globe May 16.jpg
Old 12-11-2020, 08:21 AM
Alan Strout

Default Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays

The Orioles used to send me a Christmas card each year as a spring training season ticket holder. I haven't received one for a while, but here are a few from years past.

Happy Holidays to you and your families..

2011 Orioles Christmas Card.JPG

2012 Orioles Christmas Card.jpg

Orioles Christmas Card.jpg