NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-08-2019, 11:58 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
The only value that GAI holder had was the misinformation on it, which could've been used to foist a doctored card onto the next unsuspecting buyer.
Actually, that holder had one other value. It positively identifies that as the same card originally sold. That's one possibility no one seems to mention. If it was my card, that would be my concern. If the buyer returns a trimmed 1933 Lou Gehrig, how can I be sure it's actually the card that was in the GAI slab? The buyer supposedly bought the card and got it regraded by PSA in one week. Many wondered how he was able to get such fast service. What if he didn't return the card he was sold, but a card he had submitted that was rejected by PSA? He didn't even return the GAI slab it was in. Why not?
Old 11-09-2019, 12:59 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Actually, that holder had one other value. It positively identifies that as the same card originally sold. That's one possibility no one seems to mention. If it was my card, that would be my concern. If the buyer returns a trimmed 1933 Lou Gehrig, how can I be sure it's actually the card that was in the GAI slab? The buyer supposedly bought the card and got it regraded by PSA in one week. Many wondered how he was able to get such fast service. What if he didn't return the card he was sold, but a card he had submitted that was rejected by PSA? He didn't even return the GAI slab it was in. Why not?
In the world of hypotheticals, maybe the buyer cracked it out, got a 7, took an altered one and returned it. Double dipped, in effect.

Seller is still screwed.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:29 AM
Richard L.

Originally Posted by nsaddict View Post
If the card would have crossed as a PSA 7, would the buyer have sent the seller 5K in appreciation? Certainly not, I’m in the camp you crack it out it’s yours! Nothing to lose only gain. Total 100% BS!

Same result if you open a wax pack? < Peter’s response ( not sure how to quote in blue box fashion)

So Peter, if I buy a 1961 Topps unopened pack and open it, I can send it back if I don’t pull a Mantle?

Last edited by nsaddict; 11-09-2019 at 02:41 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:56 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Plus, how do we prove it was a fake? Take your word for it that the cards were mixed series? Then you merrily return a bunch of NM commons that you had laying around while grading the Mantle you ACTUALLY pulled.
In my hypothetical, I stated that the buyer of the pack opens it while on camera, for a YouTube video. Let's say a few honest, reputable witnesses are also there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Again there's a difference between legal and ethical here, but I feel the buyer acted unethically as well since again (and again, and again) there is no need to crack a card to get a new grade.
When we were discussing someone starting a new, technically modern and objective grading service, many, many posters here commented that it was essential to look at the edge of a card to determine whether it had been trimmed. Also the thickness of the card is important, and variances in thickness, like whether the corners are thinner, indicating they may have been spread wider so as to trim them sharp.

Now you seem to be saying, in the passage I bolded above, that cards can be graded, and doctored cards including trim and corner rework can be identified, while the card is still slabbed. You're also implying the texture of a card is not important to a grader, or when identifying doctored or counterfeit cards.

So, which is it? Can a $5,000 card be properly evaluated while in a plastic holder (rendering such attributes as card thickness and edge inspection impossible to examine,) or is the evaluation process involved enough to require the examination of the card while out of the holder?

The only way to know what is in an unopened pack is to open it. If that act reveals a deception, then the pack was sold under false pretenses, whether the actual seller was aware of it or not. In this case, the fraudulent pack cannot be resold to someone else and that is a good thing.

The only way to know if the Gehrig was genuine or doctored was to give it a thorough inspection, meaning, cracked out of that virtually valueless holder. This act revealed a deception. The card, when sold, was mis-represented, whether the actual seller was aware of it or not.

In this case, the card can still be resold for what it truly is - the reason the seller is upset is that the card can not be resold for what it was pretending to be.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:58 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:

So Peter, if I buy a 1961 Topps unopened pack and open it, I can send it back if I don’t pull a Mantle?
No, because I'm assuming in your hypo you got what you paid for. But if you pay for an unaltered card and receive an altered card then, yes, you should be able to send it back.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:00 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
There are plenty of pictures of the card that was sold on ebay, right on the listing itself. Comparing the card sold to the card returned would be simple.

Last edited by Mark17; 11-09-2019 at 06:04 AM. Reason: .
Old 11-09-2019, 06:23 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
In this case, the card can still be resold for what it truly is - the reason the seller is upset is that the card can not be resold for what it was pretending to be.
As much as you don't want to believe it, the GAI holder did have SOME value - if only for the sheer gamblers aspect of it as to why this buyer bought it in the first place. GAI IS (well.....was....at one time) a respected name. Mike Baker IS a good grader. The buyer who cracked it out was hoping to make a monetary score by getting it into a PSA holder. He knew he was not getting a fake card. The same can't be said for a PRO holder. So, yes, the GAI card DID have some value. But now the seller doesn't even have that. He is forced to refund, and is getting a card that doesn't even have the GAI stamp of approval anymore. His option is now, as much as I hate to say it, is to play the "grading" game!!! What if it eventually gets into a PSA 7 holder?? All of the sudden it is now deemed "acceptable". I, for one, am dismayed that this is what the baseball card collection has become.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 11-09-2019 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:28 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

Quote:
No, because I'm assuming in your hypo you got what you paid for. But if you pay for an unaltered card and receive an altered card then, yes, you should be able to send it back.
Some cards receive a minimum size designation that haven’t been trimmed. They get resubmitted and get a grade. So if a card has a PSA grade, gets cracked and gets submitted to SGC and gets an A after a crack out is this on the seller as well?

I think the bottom line here is that a crossover can be done without a crack out. The seemingly greedy buyer didn’t want that influence (which is insane). The card should be graded whatever it deserves. After the crack out I think the return is void. Unless there is proof of intent by the seller.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:34 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
As much as you don't want to believe it, the GAI holder did have SOME value - if only for the sheer gamblers aspect of it as to why this buyer bought it in the first place. GAI IS (well.....was....at one time) a respected name. Mike Baker IS a good grader. The buyer who cracked it out was hoping to make a monetary score by getting it into a PSA holder. He knew he was not getting a fake card. The same can't be said for a PRO holder. So, yes, the GAI card DID have some value. But now the seller doesn't even have that. He is forced to refund, and is getting a card that doesn't even have the GAI stamp of approval anymore. His option is now, as much as I hate to say it, is to play the "grading" game!!! What if it eventually gets into a PSA 7 holder?? All of the sudden it is now deemed "acceptable". I, for one, am dismayed that this is what the baseball card collection has become.
The root problem is this: The card is doctored. The seller wants to sell it at a price commensurate with that of an undoctored card. That GAI holder gave him cover, now that cover is removed, and the card stands naked of its previous misrepresentation. It is what it is.

How many people on this site keep repeating: Buy the card, not the holder.

My opinion is that if had graded a PSA 1, I would be 100% on the side of the seller. We see all sorts of examples of grading companies having a difference of opinion on relative grade. But when a card is doctored, that is a whole different thing. That's deception on the part of somebody (probably not the seller, but somebody.)
Old 11-09-2019, 06:53 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
The root problem is this: The card is doctored.
Says who?? PSA???? PSA missed a ton of doctored cards. GAI says it wasn't. What if it gets resubmitted and actually gets a SGC and/or PSA grade?? Is it no longer doctored?? This whole grading thing has gotten kinda insane.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:59 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Says who?? PSA???? PSA missed a ton of doctored cards. GAI says it wasn't. What if it gets resubmitted and actually gets a SGC and/or PSA grade?? Is it no longer doctored?? This whole grading thing has gotten kinda insane.
Agreed, more details regarding the (alleged) doctoring would be helpful.

As I said before, I think it's way easier to miss a doctored card than to see alterations that do not exist.

You and others make good points. It's a good discussion where I think we all see each others' point of view, and just put more weight on one side of the argument or the other.

Assuming the card is, in fact, doctored, I am glad it has been outed, and not still floating around in that 7 holder.

Last edited by Mark17; 11-09-2019 at 07:00 AM. Reason: .
Old 11-09-2019, 07:01 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Now let's examine it from the seller's POV. If the seller thought he had an unaltered NM card, why didn't he try to get it into an SGC or PSA holder? I would ask Dave directly, but I've already done so multiple times.
Is this really a serious question? 3,427 of your last 4,687 posts are linking to cards graded wrong by SGC and PSA.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:30 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Is this really a serious question? 3,427 of your last 4,687 posts are linking to cards graded wrong by SGC and PSA.
Let me check your math, Ben.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:53 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
All the more reason to try, maybe they would have missed the alteration.

But seriously, I don't understand why, unless he knew the card was bad, the OP didn't try given the huge upside.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-09-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:04 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
It looks like, given the new precedent, yes. You could buy a GAI slabbed pack, crack it out, search it, pull anything you want and replace it with whatever you want, reseal it, send it to PSA knowing its going to fail, then send it back to the seller, saying it failed, and get a refund. Pretty sure that's the pack equivalent of what happened here, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:19 AM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
It looks like, given the new precedent, yes. You could buy a GAI slabbed pack, crack it out, search it, pull anything you want and replace it with whatever you want, reseal it, send it to PSA knowing its going to fail, then send it back to the seller, saying it failed, and get a refund. Pretty sure that's the pack equivalent of what happened here, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Agree 100% (assuming the seller didn't know it was altered or try to cross it over with the same result). Anyone who agrees with the buyer, do you have and GAI cards on eBay and if so, what is your eBay ID? You have a new customer with me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2019, 01:41 PM
pete ullman

Based on all the information out there at this moment and the proven ineptitude of basically all of the major third-party graders... It is downright scary to me the opinions of many of you that side with the buyer here.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:01 PM
Jeff Willi@ms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Based on all the information out there at this moment and the proven ineptitude of basically all of the major third-party graders... It is downright scary to me the opinions of many of you that side with the buyer here.
only potentially compelling argument not siding wholly w the seller I've seen is:

do the sellers of cards in crapslabs (non PSA/SGC) have any responsibility for checking to see if the card inside is altered? Peter asked a number of times if the seller had attempted to have the Gehrig crossed over, without response.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:04 PM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

It is funny how many of us on the forum all the sudden put merit to PSA's ability to grade and with greater professionalism than GAI, when for months I have been reading otherwise. The seller got the shaft, like it or disagree, but this sets a potentially game changing precedent. What if it were a SGC holder cracked and sent to PSA? Does that change anything? Not sure of the value of the card , but I am in the camp , if you send the GAI holder to PSA, It will NOT be crossed over, so you are throwing good money out the window. And the GAI holder does offer value, albeit not much.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:08 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by icurnmedic View Post
It is funny how many of us on the forum all the sudden put merit to PSA's ability to grade and with greater professionalism than GAI, when for months I have been reading otherwise. The seller got the shaft, like it or disagree, but this sets a potentially game changing precedent. What if it were a SGC holder cracked and sent to PSA? Does that change anything? Not sure of the value of the card , but I am in the camp , if you send the GAI holder to PSA, It will NOT be crossed over, so you are throwing good money out the window. And the GAI holder does offer value, albeit not much.
Agreed
Old 11-09-2019, 02:18 PM

See the thread called "1928 Harrington's Babe Ruth on Ebay"

To those supporting the buyer on this, I ask two questions:

1. So, the high bidder of that card can crack it out and send it raw into PSA (or SGC), and if PSA says its altered because of the odd right edge, the high bidder should be able to return the card? If not, why not?

2. Where do you get the crack (no pun intended) you are smoking?
Old 11-09-2019, 04:34 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
I agree, its buyer beware when they buy a card in that inferior holder If they want to take the risk, thats their risk.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:57 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
You buy it? OK. You break and expect a refund when its not OK? Tempus Fuggit.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:16 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
I agree, its buyer beware when they buy a card in that inferior holder If they want to take the risk, thats their risk.
Question is...at what point will a PSA holder be considered inferior???
Old 11-09-2019, 05:18 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Quote:
Nothing surprises me anymore. This hobby has some real shocking perspectives from all walks of life. I think it’s mostly mid life crisis personality disorders.
There is truly a mental disorder aspect to the madness. I don’t know how legitimate businesses take any of the alleged claims seriously.

I’m almost embarrassed to call myself a collector these days.
I don’t take a negative stance very much but this instance kind of did it.
Ok rant over.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:25 PM
Mel Quatt.lebaum

Not sure the buyer took a risk here, with over 10k eBay transactions he is probably very familiar with their return/refund policy and took full advantage of it when the item was determined to be altered. Would be a nice case for Judge Judy to hear but apparently its okay under eBays rules.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:27 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mq711 View Post
Not sure the buyer took a risk here, with over 10k eBay transactions he is probably very familiar with their return/refund policy and took full advantage of it when the item was determined to be altered. Would be a nice case for Judge Judy to hear but apparently its okay under eBays rules.
I agree and I wouldn't have any issue with the return as long as the card was not cracked out of its original holder.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:41 PM

[QUOTE=ullmandds;1929915]I agree and I wouldn't have any issue with the return as long as the card was not cracked out of its original holder.[/QUOTE

If you crack, no give back.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:16 PM
Steve Birmingham

I'm surprised nobody has really explained the timeline.

Seller to buyer to PSA to buyer ….three trips through the post office, plus time at PSA even giving the benefit of the doubt that the buyer could turn the card around and remail the same day.

And all that happened in one week?
Even with express mail, three days are used up in transit.
Yes, PSA has faster times for higher value items, but does anyone have recent experience with the time it takes to even get logged in?

I just don't see that as probable.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:19 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

Seller to buyer to PSA to buyer ….three trips through the post office, plus time at PSA even giving the benefit of the doubt that the buyer could turn the card around and remail the same day.

Yes, PSA has faster times for higher value items, but does anyone have recent experience with the time it takes to even get logged in?

good point
Old 11-09-2019, 08:21 PM
Steve Birmingham

GAI and SGC slabs do usually leave enough visible to examine a cards edges.
PSA will often block some of the edge of a full size card, undersize should be visible.

I'm not sure about Beckett. It's been a while since I looked at the one or two Beckett cards I have.

Even the Acu-Grade slab shows more than enough edge to tell if a card is trimmed. (Unfortunately for me, or not one of my Delongs is Acu-Grade 7, and it is trimmed. Of course, if it wasn't I wouldn't own it... )
Old 11-09-2019, 08:25 PM
Steve Birmingham

How many threads are there about resubs where a card is a nice 5-6, gets cracked and resubmitted, comes back a 3 gets cracked and resubbed, comes back trimmed, cracked and resubbed and comes back a 7...

Without seeing it close up, I suspect it's worth another try or two at PSA.
Now whether the other two opinions are right, that's a toss up.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:40 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:

I wondered about that very thing early on in this thread. It doesn't add up to me.

The OP has held back some info. For example, unless I missed it, the person who purchased the card on eBay hasn't been identified. Additionally, the unnamed buyer hasn't come on here (so far as I know) to fill in any details.

So, we're left to wonder, discuss, and piece things together using incomplete information. Along the way, this thread has generated approximately 200 responses. Two opinions have been shared repeatedly:

1. Case was cracked open - the sale should be final
2. Card was altered but sold as near mint - buyer should get a refund

To me, neither position is entirely right or entirely wrong. That is what makes this such a fascinating discussion. It's also what may lead to a most remarkable scenario.

Both buyer and seller can argue that they deserve to keep their money. Ultimately, both of them may get to do just that.

The buyer already got their refund through eBay. The seller can (and likely will) fight that through PayPal or their bank. One possible outcome is this:

Buyer gets to keep their refund
Seller eventually gets paid
At least one company foots the bill as the cost of doing business

And, of course, seller still has the card...we think.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 11-10-2019, 05:00 AM
Ben North

Quote:

Maybe I am confused. Ebay says it sold Oct 14th and OP's first post was Nov 7th. That is 3 weeks of time and I am sure all of that could easily happen in 3 weeks.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:24 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I wondered about that very thing early on in this thread. It doesn't add up to me.

The OP has held back some info. For example, unless I missed it, the person who purchased the card on eBay hasn't been identified. Additionally, the unnamed buyer hasn't come on here (so far as I know) to fill in any details.

So, we're left to wonder, discuss, and piece things together using incomplete information. Along the way, this thread has generated approximately 200 responses. Two opinions have been shared repeatedly:

1. Case was cracked open - the sale should be final
2. Card was altered but sold as near mint - buyer should get a refund

To me, neither position is entirely right or entirely wrong. That is what makes this such a fascinating discussion.
It's also what may lead to a most remarkable scenario.

Both buyer and seller can argue that they deserve to keep their money. Ultimately, both of them may get to do just that.

The buyer already got their refund through eBay. The seller can (and likely will) fight that through PayPal or their bank. One possible outcome is this:

Buyer gets to keep their refund
Seller eventually gets paid
At least one company foots the bill as the cost of doing business

And, of course, seller still has the card...we think.
Thank you, Eric!!

While some on these threads have been frightened by this conversation:

Quote:
And others have said that an opposing view is evidence of a personality disorder:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
Nothing surprises me anymore. This hobby has some real shocking perspectives from all walks of life. I think it’s mostly mid life crisis personality disorders.
There is truly a mental disorder aspect to the madness. I don’t know how legitimate businesses take any of the alleged claims seriously.

I’m almost embarrassed to call myself a collector these days.
I don’t take a negative stance very much but this instance kind of did it.
Ok rant over.
You, Eric, have nicely, and in a respectful, non-insulting way, summarized this discussion by pointing out that there are two perspectives that each have some validity.

The point of a discussion like this isn't to "win" it, but to share perspectives. When someone says that such a discussion makes them "almost embarrassed to call myself a collector these days", or that the discussion itself is "downright scary" that's disappointing.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:43 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Thank you, Eric!!

While some on these threads have been frightened by this conversation:

And others have said that an opposing view is evidence of a personality disorder:

You, Eric, have nicely, and in a respectful, non-insulting way, summarized this discussion by pointing out that there are two perspectives that each have some validity.

The point of a discussion like this isn't to "win" it, but to share perspectives. When someone says that such a discussion makes them "almost embarrassed to call myself a collector these days", or that the discussion itself is "downright scary" that's disappointing.
I agree that this is a weird thread with 2 types.

1) plain and simple the item returned was not the item sold and buyer should not get a refund for returning an altered product.

2) people making all sorts of excuses on why someone can buy an item alter it and return it for a full refund. This one really bafles me but I doubt there is any subject we all agree on.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:59 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
I agree that this is a weird thread with 2 types.

1) plain and simple the item returned was not the item sold and buyer should not get a refund for returning an altered product.

2) people making all sorts of excuses on why someone can buy an item alter it and return it for a full refund. This one really bafles me but I doubt there is any subject we all agree on.
Ben, if you buy a Rolex watch that has elaborate packaging, open it, and discover fraud, are you saying you cannot return it because it is opened?

Last edited by Mark17; 11-10-2019 at 06:17 AM. Reason: .
Old 11-10-2019, 06:18 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Bill, if you buy a Rolex watch that has elaborate packaging, open it, and discover fraud, are you saying you cannot return it because it is opened?
Mike that doesn't even make sense, plus it is totally irrelevant to what really happened.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:20 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Mike that doesn't even make sense, plus it is totally irrelevant to what really happened.
Biff,
It is quite similar. Maybe the buyer could've returned the card and added $20 for the cost of the cracked holder. Would that be fair?
Old 11-10-2019, 06:24 AM
bi11h00d

So maybe the question is of what value does the packaging of an item have relative to the actual item value. Clearly you can return many items (watches, electronics, etc) after you've damage the package. In contrast, when it comes to collectibles, the package has actual value and destroying the package reduces the value of said collectible. But somewhere in between is a large gray area.

Perhaps for future GAI sales, one should sell the holder, not the card inside. For example, I have this near mint intact GAI 7 holder for sale, $3000...and I'll throw in the card for free. If the buyer should brake the GAI holder in hopes of getting the card in a PSA holder, he can't ask for his money back because he paid for the intact GAI holder.

Last edited by Prof_Plum; 11-10-2019 at 06:25 AM.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:27 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Biff,
It is quite similar. Maybe the buyer could've returned the card and added $20 for the cost of the cracked holder. Would that be fair?
George, you can add all the if's and but's you want, plain and simple the buyer altered the item and should not get a refund. Go to Walmart or where ever you shop and buy a coat. Then cut off the sleeves and try and return it. How is that different?
Old 11-10-2019, 06:29 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Exactly. And here is my opinion before my rant below. "Buyer Beware" became "Buyers Remorse"; he took a gamble and lost, and now he wants his money back after altering of the purchase. The seller is not Costco or Home Depot, where you can return almost anything.

Not sure how you can determine intent of the seller was to sell an altered card, or sell a GAI graded card.

And we all are assuming that GAI is incorrect and PSA is correct. Maybe the opposite is true. Not saying it is, I am simply taking a contrarian approach. Forgive me, but I may have read somewhere on this site about the odd mistake PSA makes.

Finally, I have to say a lot of what is going on here frustrates me about some people on this site.

A new guy with 21 previous posts comes on here, tells his story about how the product he sold that was returned altered, and in certainly less valuable state. He is reaching out to see if he is nuts, or what should be the protocol. Regardless of the holder, he sold a product.

What he gets back is (ballpark) 50% understanding him, and 50% accusing him of trying to pull a fast one. The truth is we truly don't know what his motives are, and we truly don't know what the buyers motives are (myself included). It's all conjecture. Then, after being grilled, as a new poster he is trying to play by the rules and is unsure whether he should post the buyers eBay ID. He gets crucified for that too, like he's hiding something.

Frankly some of the replies from the conspiracy theorists to the newbie are shameful. Likely nobody knows this guy at all, yet yet many of us are incredibly judgmental. If I were in his position, I'd probably go radio silent too, and not read or post here again.

I'll probably get crucified too for this post, but I am OK with my position. I'm old and comfortable with that.
Bob, Thank you
Old 11-10-2019, 06:33 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof_Plum View Post
So maybe the question is of what value does the packaging of an item have relative to the actual item value. Clearly you can return many items (watches, electronics, etc) after you've damage the package. In contrast, when it comes to collectibles, the package has actual value and destroying the package reduces the value of said collectible. But somewhere in between is a large gray area.

Perhaps for future GAI sales, one should sell the holder, not the card inside. For example, I have this near mint intact GAI 7 holder for sale, $3000...and I'll throw in the card for free. If the buyer should brake the GAI holder in hopes of getting the card in a PSA holder, he can't ask for his money back because he paid for the intact GAI holder.
I'm not sure if you are being tongue-in-cheek or not, but actually, I think this is a really good idea and solve the problem. If this was the case, I would totally support the seller's right to not have to accept the return. And in this scenario, the card could be outright counterfeit, not just altered, and it would make no difference.

I find your idea to be an elegant solution. Then it's a clear "buyer beware" deal and both buyer and seller understand this up front. Sort of like buying a grab bag where the contents are unknown at time of purchase.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:34 AM
Jim B.

Let's lighten it up a bit
I love threads that talk about GAI Gehrigs and Rolex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gehrigrolex.jpg (70.7 KB, 239 views)

Last edited by BabyRuth; 11-10-2019 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:39 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
George, you can add all the if's and but's you want, plain and simple the buyer altered the item and should not get a refund. Go to Walmart or where ever you shop and buy a coat. Then cut off the sleeves and try and return it. How is that different?
Milton, the product was the Gehrig card and I am assuming it was returned undamaged.

Suppose the buyer had removed the card for inspection in such a way that the holder was undamaged. He discovers the card is doctored. Would it be OK for him to put the now known doctored card back into the original GAI 7 holder and return to the seller in the identical condition it was received?
Old 11-10-2019, 06:46 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyRuth View Post
Let's lighten it up a bit
I love threads that talk about GAI Gehrigs and Rolex
Me too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gai.jpg (67.8 KB, 234 views)
Old 11-10-2019, 06:49 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Truth. It's easy to play devil's advocate when YOU aren't the seller!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 11-10-2019, 06:50 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Milton, the product was the Gehrig card and I am assuming it was returned undamaged.

Suppose the buyer had removed the card for inspection in such a way that the holder was undamaged. He discovers the card is doctored. Would it be OK for him to put the now known doctored card back into the original GAI 7 holder and return to the seller in the identical condition it was received?
Simon(not sure why you started this but it is fun), the product was a Gehrig card in a GAI slab.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:52 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Simon(not sure why you started this but it is fun), the product was a Gehrig card in a GAI slab.

Have a great day everyone.
So.....Suppose the buyer had removed the card for inspection in such a way that the holder was undamaged. He discovers the card is doctored. Would it be OK for him to put the now known doctored card back into the original GAI 7 holder and return to the seller in the identical condition it was received?
Old 11-10-2019, 07:03 AM
Tony

Quote:
Excellent Point....