NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-29-2019, 01:44 PM

Default Ruth autograph opinion

Looking for as many opinions as I can find

https://live.autographmagazine.com/f...al-babe-ruth-1
Old 10-29-2019, 02:32 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Always a little nervous to say on a Ruth but I think it looks great!
Old 10-29-2019, 02:43 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

As Steve Cyrkin said when you posted it on the other site, there are many really really good Ruth forgeries out there. Scans / photss of both sides would help, but there are things about this I don’t like. I would be hesitant to buy this without a lot of other things falling in place. There’s obviously a stamp on the other side with a date which may help others opine. Bottom line, I would pass.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:53 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I should also add that it would help if you gave some additional background on the signature or any info you have. Many people may not give an opinion because it feels like some kind of “gotcha” thread.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:54 PM
Scott Russell

If it's a fake it's one of the most confident fakes I have ever come across of any autograph.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 10-29-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
As Steve Cyrkin said when you posted it on the other site, there are many really really good Ruth forgeries out there. Scans / photss of both sides would help, but there are things about this I don’t like. I would be hesitant to buy this without a lot of other things falling in place. There’s obviously a stamp on the other side with a date which may help others opine. Bottom line, I would pass.
I already purchased it as Beckett said was likely to pass full authentication. Since it was unauthenticated eBay said I could get a refund if it doesn’t pass JSA.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I should also add that it would help if you gave some additional background on the signature or any info you have. Many people may not give an opinion because it feels like some kind of “gotcha” thread.
I have no other information then what was provided. I get it Thursday and will be removing it from the frame. The stamp or other side might be a tell, but I still need to get an official letter to be refunded.

No gotchas, no feet to the fire.

I have also seen very uncharacteristic Brady with a Tristar sticker. The B might be weird this one time, but you know it’s legit because all that other strong factors
Old 10-29-2019, 03:20 PM

Not an expert but I agree with the others that if it's not real, it's really good.

I say "real" because I like the fact the the "e"'s in "sincerely" are consistent with the "e" in "Babe."
Old 10-29-2019, 03:29 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Sounds good. I hope for you it is good. It’s about as clean as you can expect to find. I feel like I saw it recently so I assume it was in one of the auctions. Hopefully more will chime in and I’m happy to be wrong, but there are things I don’t like.

Ps: I will add that I don’t like the E’s in sincerely. Doesn’t mean anything, but that’s one of the things I don’t like.

Last edited by Duluth Eskimo; 10-29-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Sounds good. I hope for you it is good. It’s about as clean as you can expect to find. I feel like I saw it recently so I assume it was in one of the auctions. Hopefully more will chime in and I’m happy to be wrong, but there are things I don’t like.

Ps: I will add that I don’t like the E’s in sincerely. Doesn’t mean anything, but that’s one of the things I don’t like.
Actually the E’s are not what I am worried about. It’s the Y and R being a bit wider set. The signature looks spot on. My concerns are the inscription
Old 10-29-2019, 04:10 PM

Just goes to show you that the only way to tell if a signature is real, is to see it signed, in person. Everything else is just an opinion (granted, some better than others, but still an opinion.)
Old 10-30-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:

I got it off Ebay.. Seller had it listed for $1700.. Was able to find more info today...

So today, I was able to track down some information regarding this Ruth..
My seller obtained it from a Russo and Steele auction in Monterey CA in August of 2017. He claims he paid $950 for the item. Russo and Steele primarily sell exotic and classic (expensive) cars at auction. Often times through my research I have found that they will auction off around 30 items of prominent memorabilia before they start auctioning off the vehicles. Which included in these auctions are the likes of the Beatles, this Babe Ruth, Lou Gherig, and even Marilyn Monroe's worn bra.. LOL.... This is kind of a warm up act before the cars... So you have car collectors buying and bidding on the items. Kind of the wrong audience.
I was able to find through additional research that these items are bought in advance of the auction at cost or close to retail cost of the memorabilia. And then offered at no reserve at the auto auction in Monterey yearly in August. (I am guessing that because they are making so much on the price of the auto auction, they care less about losing a few hundred on prominent memorabilia) Which is collaborated with what my seller told me that he bought it on auction in Monterey with a 15% buyers fee which is listed on Russo and Steele's website.
I was able to track it down to the store who sold it the Ruth to the auction house. They advised based on photos that the seller has never removed it from their packaging when they sold the item. They said they were able to date the post card based on the reverse side to the 1930's and they dated the ink to the time period. They purchased it from a family member of a decedents collection. This gentleman collected and sent off for sports autographs, they said he also had a signed post card from Lefty Grove in the collection. I have no clue who that is to be honest.
I was surprised to be able to track down that much information on it today.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:46 PM

That's amazing research. Wonder if there are any other auto guys out there with memorabilia they don't care about.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:44 PM

Incredible research.

I don't know enough about Ruth signatures primarily because I haven't been in the right income bracket to seriously consider how to go about procuring the right one.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:18 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Did it arrive today??
Old 11-08-2019, 01:13 PM

Yes, I removed it from the fame and took additional photos.

Name on the back is Evan T Strawn, and has a stamp correct to the time period and only sold in 1937. With the correct canceled postage from the period. Did look up Thayer Kansas and it is 90 minutes south of Baldwin City. And the name on the back is interred at the local cemetery.

Attached our additional photos. Sent it these photos to Richard Simon and Steve Koschall who returned an opinion of being genuine. Beckett has went from likely to pass, to unlikely to pass, to unable to render an opinion. Comical they are, lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2336FBD9-A6D5-46F0-8AC7-B8F1FCA2F36B.jpg (13.2 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg 524FFAC4-D34F-43D8-BC0A-0CC64E875C78.jpg (12.2 KB, 301 views)
Old 11-08-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Did it arrive today??
yes, see my new post
Old 11-08-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:

see my additional scans below.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:23 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Did Ruth typically mis-spell the word "Sincerely"?
Old 11-08-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Did Ruth typically mis-spell the word "Sincerely"?
It’s not mispelled?
Old 11-08-2019, 07:46 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdotson1984 View Post
It’s not mispelled?
My mistake - those "E"s..... looked to me like there were 2 "R"s there.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:19 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I’ll stick with my opinion
Old 11-09-2019, 06:02 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Thayer KS is 20 minutes from my hometown. Neat to see a Babe Ruth connection so close to home in the middle of nowhere KS lol
Old 11-11-2019, 09:44 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdotson1984 View Post
I got it off Ebay.. Seller had it listed for $1700.. Was able to find more info today...

So today, I was able to track down some information regarding this Ruth..
My seller obtained it from a Russo and Steele auction in Monterey CA in August of 2017. He claims he paid $950 for the item. Russo and Steele primarily sell exotic and classic (expensive) cars at auction. Often times through my research I have found that they will auction off around 30 items of prominent memorabilia before they start auctioning off the vehicles. Which included in these auctions are the likes of the Beatles, this Babe Ruth, Lou Gherig, and even Marilyn Monroe's worn bra.. LOL.... This is kind of a warm up act before the cars... So you have car collectors buying and bidding on the items. Kind of the wrong audience.
I was able to find through additional research that these items are bought in advance of the auction at cost or close to retail cost of the memorabilia. And then offered at no reserve at the auto auction in Monterey yearly in August. (I am guessing that because they are making so much on the price of the auto auction, they care less about losing a few hundred on prominent memorabilia) Which is collaborated with what my seller told me that he bought it on auction in Monterey with a 15% buyers fee which is listed on Russo and Steele's website.
I was able to track it down to the store who sold it the Ruth to the auction house. They advised based on photos that the seller has never removed it from their packaging when they sold the item. They said they were able to date the post card based on the reverse side to the 1930's and they dated the ink to the time period. They purchased it from a family member of a decedents collection. This gentleman collected and sent off for sports autographs, they said he also had a signed post card from Lefty Grove in the collection. I have no clue who that is to be honest.
I was surprised to be able to track down that much information on it today.
Wow, nice research. I wouldn't be looking for anything but a car from those guys. The results of my dealings with Russo & Steele were mixed...

I did add this to the collection a few years back from a Russo & Steele Auction...A nice day for a VROOOOOOMMMMMMM too!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My Trans Am.jpg (85.6 KB, 154 views)