NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-07-2019, 12:44 PM
J0hn Collin$

Seems very odd to me that eBay would deem it “ok” for a buyer to crack a card out of any TPG slab and then claim it’s in the “same condition” for a return. The buyer materially changed what that card was as based on it’s description in your listing. I would find a way to keep fighting that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2019, 01:19 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Again what about the fact that the card was not as advertised. It was in a case with a grade and later determined to be altered. I hate to think that I am in the minority that thinks if someone sells me an altered card I am not entitled to my money back. I can say 100% if I sold a card that was altered I would offer money back.
I completely understand and agree that the card should have stayed in its case when sent to PSA for crossover. Because it opens up the opportunity for fraud by sending back a different card. But that is not what happened. OP sold a card advertised as as graded (??? I dont know grade OP has not posted grade despite being asked to) and was later determined to be altered.
I also understand that since it is out of the case asking GAI to live up to it's grade is no longer possible. But fact is card was altered and buyer is entitled to refund. Just right thing to do.
Jonathan Sterling
Old 11-07-2019, 01:27 PM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

He sold a GAI graded card! Not a PSA/BGS/SGC graded card. Seems he did the right thing, as far as he knew. Now the original item is Damaged.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:50 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Again what about the fact that the card was not as advertised. It was in a case with a grade and later determined to be altered. I hate to think that I am in the minority that thinks if someone sells me an altered card I am not entitled to my money back. I can say 100% if I sold a card that was altered I would offer money back.
I completely understand and agree that the card should have stayed in its case when sent to PSA for crossover. Because it opens up the opportunity for fraud by sending back a different card. But that is not what happened. OP sold a card advertised as as graded (??? I dont know grade OP has not posted grade despite being asked to) and was later determined to be altered.
I also understand that since it is out of the case asking GAI to live up to it's grade is no longer possible. But fact is card was altered and buyer is entitled to refund. Just right thing to do.
Jonathan Sterling
The buyer was gambling. He wanted to turn a GAI card into a PSA goldmine. Now the seller doesn't even get the GAI graded card back. This is a horrible situation and makes me NEVER WANT TO SELL A GAI CARD ON EBAY!!!! The buyer has everything to gain and nothing to lose.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Very early GAI grade -- the ones that are supposed to be legit.

Question for the seller -- did you have either SGC or PSA review before you listed, at any point, and if not why not?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-07-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:06 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

This is getting interesting. It looks like the guy who won this card has a very big feedback. He might be well known in the hobby.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:16 PM
+0m J()rd@N

What if this was an autographed T206 that had been authenticated by one of the TPGs, but was then broken out and resubmitted only to come back as 'likely not authentic'?

Would that change anything? Seems like the same scenario to me.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 11-08-2019, 05:33 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
What if this was an autographed T206 that had been authenticated by one of the TPGs, but was then broken out and resubmitted only to come back as 'likely not authentic'?

Would that change anything? Seems like the same scenario to me.
Not of it's been cracked out. No longer the same item

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 11-07-2019, 02:08 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I'd trust the early GAI grade over the "PSA Goldmine" opinion any day of the week.

Seller got completely screwed, IMO. Once the buyer cracked it out, it should've been deemed non-returnable. Such a shame, and typical eBay to automatically side with the buyer. Their dumb "blanket policies" should not always apply in the collectibles arena.

Last edited by perezfan; 11-07-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:18 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I'd trust the early GAI grade over the "PSA Goldmine" opinion any day of the week.

Seller got completely screwed, IMO. Once the buyer cracked it out, it should've been deemed non-returnable. Such a shame, and typical eBay to automatically side with the buyer. Their dumb "blanket policies" should not always apply in the collectibles arena.
Ebay has a policy for art and collectibles that states a "items must not be removed from a sealed packaging" I find it interesting no one has stated they have returned a cracked open slab as a buyer or selling or even had or know anyone that had this happen too.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:41 PM

The Moment He Cracked the Card form it's GAI Slab, He Owned the Card!
He Told PSA So when he Sent it to them Out of the Slab and w/o Your Permission as the 3rd party.
He then Lied to You and Ebay by Not Telling He Removed the Card From it's Sealed Package and He did this in order to get Ebay's Aid!

From PSA's Submission Form:

12. If any cards are being submitted for a third
party, Customer represents and warrants that
such third party has agreed and accepted this
Agreement and has signed a duplicate copy
hereof where indicated. Customer agrees to provide that third party-signed copy to PSA at anytime upon its request.

He Could of just left it in the Slab when he Sent it to PSA as a "Review",
i do imagine that the Buyer wanted to See What PSA thoughts were with the Card Out of the GAI Holder... Only because The Buyer Assumed that Every TPG had Seen the Card in it's GAI Slab Already!

Please tell us who "The Cracker" is?
I wouldn't want him to do this to another!

This is Just Wrong in So Many Ways...
Old 11-07-2019, 02:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

Whether the seller got screwed, to me, somewhat depends whether the card had previously been reviewed by PSA or SGC, which I've asked the OP but he hasn't answered yet.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:54 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Whether the seller got screwed, to me, somewhat depends whether the card had previously been reviewed by PSA or SGC, which I've asked the OP but he hasn't answered yet.
The buyer gave the card to PSA and they returned it unslabbed.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:38 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
The buyer was gambling. He wanted to turn a GAI card into a PSA goldmine. Now the seller doesn't even get the GAI graded card back. This is a horrible situation and makes me NEVER WANT TO SELL A GAI CARD ON EBAY!!!! The buyer has everything to gain and nothing to lose.
This is exactly why this is the buyers fault. Assuming the OP didn’t know the card was altered (which I believe is true) the buyer took a gamble on a GAI slabbed card to turn it into a big win. We’ve all seen cards graded by low end companies thinking what the PSA or SGC grade might be and for me it’s usually a pass for this reason.

Send in the card for crossover in the slab. The buyer didn’t do this because he didn’t want the negative influence of a GAI slab/grade.

Good luck to the OP
Old 11-08-2019, 04:52 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Person that won the card has over 11K feedback with 99% Positive.... This whole thing seems just a bit odd.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:14 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Jonathan Sterling
John, You make a good point. The reason for the return was the card wasn't authentic which is no true it is authentic. The buyer paid lower then market value due to GAI holder and wanted to cross over to PSA. He could have gotten authentic if he wanted but didn't and he could have crossover in slab but again didn't. I bought the original GAI card on Ebay many years ago and even had a screenshot of the sale for Ebay and buyer to see since at one point he thought I alerted the card which isn't true. We all know buying an GAI card has its risks but I didn't think a card can be sold on ebay then slab open an a "card" returned. The question is can a buyer open a slab and then return an unslabbed card for any reason. Maybe another buyers gets SGC graded card on EBay not happy sends to PSA to get a higher grade but they don't grade higher and decides to return unslabed card.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:02 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Seems very odd to me that eBay would deem it “ok” for a buyer to crack a card out of any TPG slab and then claim it’s in the “same condition” for a return. The buyer materially changed what that card was as based on it’s description in your listing. I would find a way to keep fighting that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm thinking about sending a letter to Ebay CEO and let him know what is happening.

Ebay has closed the case from their end.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:21 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolifedave View Post
I'm thinking about sending a letter to Ebay CEO and let him know what is happening.
Unfortunately, that and 5 bucks will probably get you something nice to drink at Starbucks...