NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-18-2019, 07:48 PM
David Peck

People are over thinking this. There is enough money floating around to support art prices where three have sold publicly for more than 250 million and the highest being 450.3 million.

This is modern art to someone. There are people out there that can pull the trigger on items they want knowing they are going to go to battle with someone else that has just as many resources at their disposal and now it comes down to who wants it most. A badge of honor if you will and you get to hold it in your hand.

Just think if you could wait all week and then launch your snipe of 200k.

Sounds very awesome.

I can't place myself in these shoes. You have to have serious dough to be able to buy cards like this and be able to deal with the repercussions.

At the end of the day baseball cards are king and so the market for cards like this is a lot bigger than people think. There might only be a few that will pay 200k but there are plenty that will pay 100k so in reality no one can question this card being a monster. The question is just where does it go from here? That all depends on supply and that is always the unknown.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:54 PM
pete ullman

Who’s overthinking this???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
People are over thinking this. There is enough money floating around to support art prices where three have sold publicly for more than 250 million and the highest being 450.3 million.

This is modern art to someone. There are people out there that can pull the trigger on items they want knowing they are going to go to battle with someone else that has just as many resources at their disposal and now it comes down to who wants it most. A badge of honor if you will and you get to hold it in your hand.

Just think if you could wait all week and then launch your snipe of 200k.

Sounds very awesome.

I can't place myself in these shoes. You have to have serious dough to be able to buy cards like this and be able to deal with the repercussions.

At the end of the day baseball cards are king and so the market for cards like this is a lot bigger than people think. There might only be a few that will pay 200k but there are plenty that will pay 100k so in reality no one can question this card being a monster. The question is just where does it go from here? That all depends on supply and that is always the unknown.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:58 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Who’s overthinking this???

Just about every person posting. You can't logically think a modern card is worth 200k.

The only answer is the free market and it moves prices to levels that always seem unbelievable. Many times the sharpest movers higher just go higher.

None of us have a clue if this a good price or a bad price. If the buyer is happy at this moment that is all that matters.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:27 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Just about every person posting. You can't logically think a modern card is worth 200k.

The only answer is the free market and it moves prices to levels that always seem unbelievable. Many times the sharpest movers higher just go higher.

None of us have a clue if this a good price or a bad price. If the buyer is happy at this moment that is all that matters.
Whether it's Ruth or jeter, it's all just pieces of cardboard. There is no actual value in any of this in a traditional sense.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:39 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
Whether it's Ruth or jeter, it's all just pieces of cardboard. There is no actual value in any of this in a traditional sense.
Exactly.

I have read numerous times people predicting the demise of vintage in the coming years due to lack of collectors from the next generation having an interest. It is possible. I don't think it is probable but the risk exists.

The risk exists here that these modern cards that have exploded go higher. You can get on EBAY and find a 1951 Mantle Bowman anytime. Many would argue it is a much better card. But you can find one.

If you want this card you might have to wait years to land one. When things are hard to get people want them more. It is just human nature.

These type cards appeal to just that and why I am never shocked when the prices go for big numbers.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:55 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Exactly.

I have read numerous times people predicting the demise of vintage in the coming years due to lack of collectors from the next generation having an interest. It is possible. I don't think it is probable but the risk exists.

The risk exists here that these modern cards that have exploded go higher. You can get on EBAY and find a 1951 Mantle Bowman anytime. Many would argue it is a much better card. But you can find one.

If you want this card you might have to wait years to land one. When things are hard to get people want them more. It is just human nature.

These type cards appeal to just that and why I am never shocked when the prices go for big numbers.
I agree completely with the bold excerpt. Everyone collects differently. I am a tiny, tiny fish in the hobby, but I love cards that are rare and might pop up once a year or once every few years, as opposed 1951B Mantle cards or T206 Cobb cards or 1933 Goudey Ruth cards that can be found any time. That doesn't make it right or wrong, just a different collecting interest.

Last edited by Bored5000; 10-18-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:34 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I agree completely with the bold excerpt. Everyone collects differently. I am a tiny, tiny fish in the hobby, but I love cards that are rare and might pop up once a year or once every few years, as opposed 1951B Mantle cards or T206 Cobb cards or 1933 Goudey Ruth cards that can be found any time. That doesn't make it right or wrong, just a different collecting interest.
My buddy Rob (WCK) a year or so ago landed a Frank Gotch card he had been trying to land for fifteen years.

T229 Kopec Cigarettes Sports Champions Frank Gotch Card

He was a nervous wreck all week and then launched a no lose snipe that ended up being three times what he paid.

This is the kind of hunt that drives people to spend their hard earned money on cards.

While some, myself included find this kind of rarity more exciting, others would rather something from modern times and that is okay too. Derek Jeter is not some rookie that hasn't played a game yet or a star in their third year that may get injured. He is a legend and is cards are reflecting legend values.

I think the biggest appeal to most modern cards is that the subject is still alive and so you own stock in them. You own a piece of their legacy and people love that. When I showed Ric Flair a copy of his 1982 Wrestling All Stars in a Gem Mint 10 he thought it was awesome. He has no desire to collect cards but he likes high quality stuff and he respects the fact that there are fans out there that seek out his collectibles.

We haven't been in contact recently but Evan Mathis and I used to text back and forth frequently and he tracked down his best cards. I would too! How cool would that be to see yourself on a football card and then go find them in their best condition. Sounds amazing.

Trying to rationalize how others collect is a pointless exercise. Everyone is different and I have always said there is no right or wrong way. Do what makes you happy and don't worry about the rest.