NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-10-2019, 12:36 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Mile High Card Co, Auction Closing Today T206 Wagner, Plank, Cobb Back, 1916 Ruth ..

This is a paid ad.

A friendly reminder that the Mile High Card Company current auction is closing this evening. It will be especially interesting to see several uniquely known cards sell....Good luck to everyone. I know there are a lot of eyes on this auction.

http://milehighcardco.com/catalog.aspx

Attached Images
File Type: jpg honus.jpg (78.9 KB, 807 views)
File Type: jpg baber.jpg (71.5 KB, 812 views)

Last edited by Leon; 10-10-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:41 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Wagners mine. Hands off. No further bidding please. Now I just need to tell the wife the house is officially on the market and the kids' college aspirations have been permanently shelved.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:59 PM
Allan

So if I try and register now, am I out of luck on this auction? How long does it typically take to get registered?
Old 10-10-2019, 01:00 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplyon86 View Post
So if I try and register now, am I out of luck on this auction? How long does it typically take to get registered?
Why not just call them and find out?
Old 10-10-2019, 01:01 PM
Allan

I guess that would work
Old 10-10-2019, 01:03 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I bet they can work you in... Best of luck!
Old 10-10-2019, 01:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I bet they can work you in... Best of luck!
I would verify and confirm and be more than happy to have more bidders if I were an auction house. I remember, when I helped run an auction, approving folks to bid up to the last part of open bidding. Why not?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobby9a.jpg (78.1 KB, 788 views)

Last edited by Leon; 10-10-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:33 PM

The T206 set auction is interesting. They are auctioning both as a set as well as individually and whatever sells for more (set vs. combined total of all individual lots) wins. Current gap is 21k in favor of the complete set. Doubt I will have a chance on any of the T206's I bid on.

Maybe this is more common than I am aware but this is the first time I am seeing it run this way.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:38 PM
Troy Rambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott L. View Post
The T206 set auction is interesting. They are auctioning both as a set as well as individually and whatever sells for more (set vs. combined total of all individual lots) wins. Current gap is 21k in favor of the complete set. Doubt I will have a chance on any of the T206's I bid on.

Maybe this is more common than I am aware but this is the first time I am seeing it run this way.
I saw this on another auction about a year ago and thought it was a smart way to do it for the owner of the cards as it would maximize the return to them. I think this one will be interesting to see how it goes. The guess is the individual cards take the day but will a collector or dealer pay a premium for the entire 520 set? The $21k gap was $32k this morning so should be fun to see how it ends.

Good luck everyone!!
Old 10-10-2019, 02:06 PM

I’ve been to land auctions that were run like this but hadn’t seen it done for card sets Lot of people laying in the weeds on the individual cards right now it appears. Will be fun to watch
Old 10-10-2019, 02:15 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Mile high (or maybe memorylane) has been doing this for a while now with the graded and premium sets. I've also seen it from other ah as well in the past few months.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 10-10-2019, 02:30 PM

The Wagner is already at 1.3 million, but the Cobb/Cobb is only at 650k. The seller of the Wagner is close to break even, but the seller of the Cobb is way behind right now. There was a lot of speculation on these two before the auction. It looks like the t206 Wagner is still king of the hobby.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:49 PM
Trae Regan

The grade on that Wagner is generous.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
The Wagner is already at 1.3 million, but the Cobb/Cobb is only at 650k. The seller of the Wagner is close to break even, but the seller of the Cobb is way behind right now. There was a lot of speculation on these two before the auction. It looks like the t206 Wagner is still king of the hobby.
Now it’s at $892k before BP, so $1.07mm all in. I think we established an over-under a while back, and I am pretty sure the card has gone over.

This really is a great auction. Congrats to Mile High.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 10-10-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:28 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Now it’s at $892k before BP, so $1.07mm all in. I think we established an over-under a while back, and I am pretty sure the card has gone over.

Looks like the hobby is still in general and even better for the big cards
Old 10-10-2019, 10:13 PM

Don’t think the $28k gap between the T206 set and the cards individually will be closed.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:

Was that an actual bid on the Cobb or a reserve? It looks like the Cobb didn't sell. The Wagner owner made a little. That card sold for 777k less than 3 years ago to 1.354 million now.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:37 AM
Ed Woelfle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Was that an actual bid on the Cobb or a reserve? It looks like the Cobb didn't sell. The Wagner owner made a little. That card sold for 777k less than 3 years ago to 1.354 million now.
Yeah, it shows “Pass” on final price. Last I looked before auction closed it had been over $500K
Old 10-11-2019, 07:15 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwolf1963 View Post
Yeah, it shows “Pass” on final price. Last I looked before auction closed it had been over $500K
Final bid on the Cobb/Cobb was about $1.1 million. Pretty good price but I guess the seller paid more and wanted more.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:18 AM

Agree - there were actual bids that took the Cobb/Cobb to at least over $1.07mm before I tapped out and went to bed. I guess the all-in reserve was greater than that. So, we know that FMV for the highest graded Cobb/Cobb is $1.1mm+/-, which apparently is not enough for the current owner
Old 10-11-2019, 09:01 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Agree - there were actual bids that took the Cobb/Cobb to at least over $1.07mm before I tapped out and went to bed. I guess the all-in reserve was greater than that. So, we know that FMV for the highest graded Cobb/Cobb is $1.1mm+/-, which apparently is not enough for the current owner
I'm not saying you are incorrect but how do we know this? Here is the rule regarding the right of the AH to bid up to the undisclosed reserve.

Minimum Bids- Each and every lot within the auction does have a minimum bid designated in both the catalog as well as online. A very few of the lots in the auction have a reserve price (please note the vast majority of the lots within the auction do not have a reserve price) A reserve price is the confidential minimum price that a consignor will accept before they will sell the material, this means that a bid of equal or greater than the confidential reserve must be placed for a successful bid to be accepted on that lot. MHCC may implement this reserve by bidding on behalf of the consignor and may place a bid up to the amount of the reserve, by placing successive bids if necessary. In the limited instances where MHCC has a financial interest in a lot beyond our commission, we may place a bid to protect our financial interest. Reserves when in place will be pre-determined and set within the auction software prior to the start of the auction. Again, please note the vast majority of the lots in every auction will be offered without a confidential reserve in place. For all items in the auction (unless an item is withdrawn during the auction)without a reserve, they will be sold to the highest bidder at or above the minimum bid.

The AH explicitly reserves the right to place secret bids on behalf of the consignor (or on its behalf if it has a financial interest in the item). So what information was disclosed as the bidding progressed to indicate how high the "real" bids went? And even if a "real" bid was put in at say, $750k, the bid it could have been topping might have been a house bid.

Again, I am not saying this is what happened, but it seems to me we have no idea how high the "real" bidding went, nor whether the bids that were topped to get to that last "real" bid were house bids. In the typical instance that I am familiar with, an AH will put an estimated price range for the item, and the rules will say the secret reserve cannot be higher than the low-end estimate. So that way at least a bidder can know that once bidding reaches a certain level, the bids that are being placed are not house bids.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:06 AM
octavio ranzola

terrific stuff
Old 10-11-2019, 10:35 AM

Cory, thanks for pointing this out. I agree with you 100%. The last bid I saw may have, in fact, been inflated by one or numerous AH bids intended to get the card above the reserve. In fact, I bet there is a solid chance that is what happened.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:01 AM

Default T206 set final price?

Any thoughts about the final hammer price on the t206 set? I haven’t had the time to go through the set that was offered and figure out what appropriate price would be however my sense is it went a little low

Barry Krumwiede

Last edited by Bkrum; 10-11-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:21 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Cory, thanks for pointing this out. I agree with you 100%. The last bid I saw may have, in fact, been inflated by one or numerous AH bids intended to get the card above the reserve. In fact, I bet there is a solid chance that is what happened.
I will add that there are aspects of this rule that trouble me. As some of the posts suggest, likely many/most people did not thoroughly read the auction rules and were unaware of the right of the AH to bid up to a secret reserve. I know I was unaware of the rule until after the auction closed and I saw the lot passed. It certainly was not something I was familiar with.

The AH does say it sets this secret reserve before bidding starts, and it is imbedded into the software. But what is to prevent the following?

The AH has a financial interest in an item. Before the bidding starts it sets a crazy reserve, something that almost certainly the market cannot support. Then the AH places bids up to this reserve, and at the close of the auction announces the item did not sell. Unless people knew that the rules allow this, the market will be left with the impression that the market price was the last bid placed.

In the case at hand, people apparently (and not unreasonably unless they studied the rules in advance) felt the card had legitimate bidding up to $1M. Maybe it did. But maybe the last highest real bid was $500K, and maybe even that bid might have been to top a house bid. We simply do not know.

For me bidding on such an item, even being aware of the rules, I will never know that my bid reflects a real market bid, and that if I were to want to resell the item that I could come close to getting my money back.

I wonder whether this business model really obtains the highest price for a item in the instance that people are fully aware of what the rule allows. One incentive for people to bid is the belief other people have interest at that level. If that assumption is put into question by widespread knowledge that any bid, no matter how high, might be nothing more than a house bid placed to support a hidden reserve, people might be reluctant to bid. In contrast, if bidders are not generally aware of this practice, the rule can generate very high prices, prices that otherwise might be unobtainable. So I suppose it all depends on how knowledgeable bidders are about the rules.

In saying all this, I am in no way saying or implying there was any ulterior motive on the part of MHCC in how they ran this auction or set their rules, or that they wanted no more than to get the best price they could for their consignor in accord with fair market practices. I only know I was surprised to read the item passed at the last recorded price, and when I then read the auction rules, they were not what I expected or was familiar with. Had I decided to bid high enough to win the lot, and then learn that for all I know the next highest real bid was at half the level I bid, I don't think I would be too happy. Yes, I could have read the rules. But still...….
Old 10-11-2019, 11:55 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Talk to Heritage, they have the same rules. REA does not.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:03 PM
pete ullman

But these "rules" many of the big AH's have are nothing new?

Which makes me question the hammer prices for many cards over the last 10 or so years in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulmag View Post
I will add that there are aspects of this rule that trouble me. As some of the posts suggest, likely many/most people did not thoroughly read the auction rules and were unaware of the right of the AH to bid up to a secret reserve. I know I was unaware of the rule until after the auction closed and I saw the lot passed. It certainly was not something I was familiar with.

The AH does say it sets this secret reserve before bidding starts, and it is imbedded into the software. But what is to prevent the following?

The AH has a financial interest in an item. Before the bidding starts it sets a crazy reserve, something that almost certainly the market cannot support. Then the AH places bids up to this reserve, and at the close of the auction announces the item did not sell. Unless people knew that the rules allow this, the market will be left with the impression that the market price was the last bid placed.

In the case at hand, people apparently (and not unreasonably unless they studied the rules in advance) felt the card had legitimate bidding up to $1M. Maybe it did. But maybe the last highest real bid was $500K, and maybe even that bid might have been to top a house bid. We simply do not know.

For me bidding on such an item, even being aware of the rules, I will never know that my bid reflects a real market bid, and that if I were to want to resell the item that I could come close to getting my money back.

I wonder whether this business model really obtains the highest price for a item in the instance that people are fully aware of what the rule allows. One incentive for people to bid is the belief other people have interest at that level. If that assumption is put into question by widespread knowledge that any bid, no matter how high, might be nothing more than a house bid placed to support a hidden reserve, people might be reluctant to bid. In contrast, if bidders are not generally aware of this practice, the rule can generate very high prices, prices that otherwise might be unobtainable. So I suppose it all depends on how knowledgeable bidders are about the rules.

In saying all this, I am in no way saying or implying there was any ulterior motive on the part of MHCC in how they ran this auction or set their rules, or that they wanted no more than to get the best price they could for their consignor in accord with fair market practices. I only know I was surprised to read the item passed at the last recorded price, and when I then read the auction rules, they were not what I expected or was familiar with. Had I decided to bid high enough to win the lot, and then learn that for all I know the next highest real bid was at half the level I bid, I don't think I would be too happy. Yes, I could have read the rules. But still...….
Old 10-11-2019, 12:08 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Talk to Heritage, they have the same rules. REA does not.
Heritage does not have the same rules. They indicate a few days before closing whether the item has met the reserve, and if it has not, they raise the bid to the reserve price. So at that point forward a bidder will know that any bids reflect real bids.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:11 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post

Which makes me question the hammer prices for many cards over the last 10 or so years in general.
As I said, I don't recall seeing a rule exactly like MHCC's -- a rule that prevents a bidder from ever knowing that regardless how high he/she bids it is to top a real bid.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:30 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkrum View Post
Any thoughts about the final hammer price on the t206 set? I haven’t had the time to go through the set that was offered and figure out what appropriate price would be however my sense is it went little low
Well, since they offered it in either 'by card' or 'full set' format and the full set triumphed by $30K, then the set was worth more intact (at this specific point in time) than the sum of the parts. Saves the auctionhouse a lot of time as well. Of course, many bidders may have stopped bidding if they thought bids on individual cards at the end was fruitless.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:49 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulmag View Post
Heritage does not have the same rules. They indicate a few days before closing whether the item has met the reserve, and if it has not, they raise the bid to the reserve price. So at that point forward a bidder will know that any bids reflect real bids.
Any Heritage employee can bid on any lot -- without the bids being divulged. So you can take from that what you will. That certainly provides a de facto reserve.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Well, since they offered it in either 'by card' or 'full set' format and the full set triumphed by $30K, then the set was worth more intact (at this specific point in time) than the sum of the parts. Saves the auctionhouse a lot of time as well.
PWCC would never offer something like this because they would lose $50k on inflated shipping costs

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 10-11-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:57 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Quote:
Any Heritage employee can bid on any lot -- without the bids being divulged. So you can take from that what you will. That certainly provides a de facto reserve.
As does Lelands
Old 10-11-2019, 04:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
The house itself can bid too..

The Auctioneer, its affiliates, or their employees consign items to be sold in the Auction, and may bid on those
lots or any other lots.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:46 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

This might already be public information but the concept of AH staff members bidding is dependent on the state laws from where the company resides. I believe Texas allows for it.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:23 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The house itself can bid too..

The Auctioneer, its affiliates, or their employees consign items to be sold in the Auction, and may bid on those
lots or any other lots.
Does this sound depressingly like Mastro and Allen?
Old 10-13-2019, 06:45 AM
Trae Regan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post

+1

It's essentially a type of market manipulation, that is apparently legal in some states.

Last edited by T206.org; 10-13-2019 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:53 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206.org View Post
+1

It's essentially a type of market manipulation, that is apparently legal in some states.
Yup
Old 10-13-2019, 08:01 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
This might already be public information but the concept of AH staff members bidding is dependent on the state laws from where the company resides. I believe Texas allows for it.
Not Orgeon? Just curious how are things out there at the vault?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors