NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-28-2019, 06:33 PM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Not sure what being robbed has to do with anything I said. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, which Greg is not. There was no sarcasm whatsoever in my post. I don't know if the endorsement of someone who at the very least had the appearance of being in bed with PWCC is good for a new business. Sorry if you don't like it, but I'm far from the only one who feels that way.
Appearance?
Old 07-28-2019, 06:38 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Someone needs to start a service that removes all these silly stickers without damaging the slab or leaving sticky residue.
But then how will I know if my cards look nice?
Old 07-28-2019, 06:51 PM
Scott Russell

Tell you what David. If you're willing to go on the record saying that you never received ANY type of consideration for ANY of your contributions (not limited to PWCC) to Forbes I will apologize. But remember there's a lot of people on this site who know a lot of other people. I even know a few myself.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-28-2019, 07:07 PM
Rachel Stone
Rachel St.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Rachel’s is the first positive contribution. Hopefully, it will mitigate some of the stench in the hobby. And for all the lawyers on the board, that was mitigate, not litigate.
Haha yes!!! Anti-stench stickers!

Litigate, mitigate, schmitigate...above my pay grade. Trimmed schmimmed, not my department. See an expert if that's a concern. But if you want your slab to smell nice, I'm all about it!

Rachel's tiny gold stickers, never sniff foul slabs again!

Hehe

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2019, 07:16 PM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Ummm....just wondering if anyone has seen Kat Alexander and Rachel in the same room? Hmmmm, Kate’s last activity was July 26 and Rachel joined the same day. Hmmmm, Kate’s from DC and Rachel is from Miami though. Just wondering but could the next strange coincidence be that Kat went to a law school in Florida and is a member of the Florida bar? If I wasn’t certain Leon saw the similarities too and spoke with her I might actually start believing my conspiracy theory.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:23 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
Ummm....just wondering if anyone has seen Kat Alexander and Rachel in the same room? Hmmmm, Kate’s last activity was July 26 and Rachel joined the same day. Hmmmm, Kate’s from DC and Rachel is from Miami though. Just wondering but could the next strange coincidence be that Kat went to a law school in Florida and is a member of the Florida bar? If I wasn’t certain Leon saw the similarities too and spoke with her I might actually start believing my conspiracy theory.
The last female poster from Florida that turned out to be an impostor was a good male friend of the OP.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
The last female poster from Florida that turned out to be an impostor was a good male friend of the OP.
NotVader LOL. I never understood why Greg didn't shut that down knowing it was BS.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
No similarities in their posts though.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:38 PM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Another day on the boards.

Last edited by CuriousGeorge; 07-28-2019 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Fix
Old 07-28-2019, 07:46 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
NotVader LOL. I never understood why Greg didn't shut that down knowing it was BS.
Wait, NotVader wasn't a real poster? I'm so out of the loop here.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 07-28-2019, 09:17 PM
Rachel Stone
Rachel St.one

Quote:
Ummm, have I done something wrong?

I don't know this Kat. I'm not part of any grand conspiracy. I'm just a nobody housewife in Miami that has nothing to do with anything going on here. I just wanted to enjoy the forum, learn a few things, maybe make a friend or two.

Have I done something to earn this disrespect?

Am I not welcome here?

Old 07-28-2019, 09:30 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just.Rachel View Post

I don't know this Kat. I'm not part of any grand conspiracy. I'm just a nobody housewife in Miami that has nothing to do with anything going on here. I just wanted to enjoy the forum, learn a few things, maybe make a friend or two.

Am I not welcome here?

Some are so caught up fretting over whether their graded cards are real, so now they are wondering whether people are real. We have too many lawyers here and not enough psychiatrists IMHO.

Some percentage of the people here are strange, rude, or just your garden variety odd. Hang around these boards for awhile and you'll learn to navigate through. But don't leave because of some snarky posts.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:16 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

Yeah Rachel, you're cool. No worries. Hang in there.

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
Old 07-29-2019, 07:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Could be as funny as The Real Deal being your brother on BO....but then once that is verified he could have some serious legal and bar related issues. He might need to hire himself to defend himself.

As for Kat and Just Rachel. That is being dealt with and neither of them will be allowed to post anymore until I get to the bottom of it.

Quote:

Last edited by Leon; 07-29-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:38 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

As for Kat and Just Rachel. That is being dealt with and neither of them will be allowed to post anymore until I get to the bottom of it.
Have we been infiltrated by spies?

Oh my, first the Feds and now this.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Have we been infiltrated by spies?

Oh my, first the Feds and now this.
My goal is to have all members be who they say they are. Regardless of their tenure here if I am not convinced then they are gone. It isn't difficult to prove who you are if you really want to.

As for the Feds the FBI Special Agent who gave a speech at our Net54 banquet, 2 yrs ago, said he reads this forum every day.

Last edited by Leon; 07-29-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:47 AM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Do you have any attorneys you could recommend?

Quote:
Could be as funny as The Real Deal being your brother on BO....but then once that is verified he could have some serious legal and bar related issues. He might need to hire himself to defend himself.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Do you have any attorneys you could recommend?
No. I don't know any good criminal lawyers. I guess it could be a civil matter though, not sure. But I doubt the NY Bar would like one of their lawyers trolling on the internet and lying out their arses. I can't imagine that is ethical but then again, it doesn't seem to matter to some lawyers.

Last edited by Leon; 07-29-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:52 AM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Quote:
No. I don't know any good criminal lawyers.
Peter can you help here?
Old 07-29-2019, 07:53 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Peter can you help here?
I know some good criminal lawyers and some good lawyers who are criminals, which are you looking for?

Speaking of good criminal lawyers, did anyone see the New Yorker piece on Alan Dershowitz?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-29-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:55 AM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Quote:
I know some good criminal lawyers and some good lawyers who are criminals, which are you looking for?

Haha. I guess in keeping with the spirit of the board I’ll take the latter please.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Haha. I guess in keeping with the spirit of the board I’ll take the latter please.
Alan Dershowitz first line of criminal law class: Statistically, more of you will be criminal defendants than criminal lawyers.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:00 AM
David Kathman

Greg -- if the service is free, then what's your business model? Are you just donating your time and money for the good of the hobby? How many people do you have evaluating cards for purple stickers? If it's not just you, then who else do you have, and what are their qualifications?
Old 07-29-2019, 11:03 AM
Scott Russell

It's not uncommon for a new service to provide said service for free as a way of increasing visibility in the market-place. The National is pretty much the best live venue to do something like that, and if he can afford to do it, it makes perfect sense. Can't speak to your other questions.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 07-29-2019, 11:47 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

The way I interpreted it is that the review is free, not the sticker. In other words, if you have a card that qualifies and you wanted it stickered, there is a fee for that. If I'm wrong, Greg can correct me.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:56 AM
Peter Spaeth

Every square inch of the slab should be monetized. TPGs could connect with major corporations who could put their stickers on as well, featuring logos or stock symbols.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:14 PM
Rachel Stone
Rachel St.one

Oh crud, in a couple years time we'll be seeing slabs with Burger King advertisements on them. Quick, somebody shove the genie back in the bottle!

Old 07-29-2019, 12:37 PM
Greg C

If a card is awarded a sticker, there is no additional
charge. I am essentially donating my time and money
to the hobby. We are nearing 1000 stickered cards and
I look to increase that many times over. These cards
all reside (digitally) on a searchable database which
anyone can utilize on the Purple Label website. Try it
out for yourselves at SLABSTICKER.COM

I am making my best effort to meet people face to
face. Those that know me say my attention to detail
is unparalleled. I would like to show and share that
with everyone who I would not normally be awarded
the opportunity to meet.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in Chicago!
Old 07-29-2019, 03:07 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Every square inch of the slab should be monetized. TPGs could connect with major corporations who could put their stickers on as well, featuring logos or stock symbols.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16.jpg (78.1 KB, 397 views)
Old 07-29-2019, 03:15 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I posted this somewhere else a while ago...

ClementePSAracingdecals.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:23 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I posted this somewhere else a while ago...

Attachment 360765
Best thing I've seen in a while, lol!!
Old 07-29-2019, 03:26 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

The key to advertising is to focus your ads to your target audience. So I'm thinking something perhaps more subtle.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15.jpg (47.9 KB, 548 views)
Old 07-29-2019, 04:06 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
The key to advertising is to focus your ads to your target audience. So I'm thinking something perhaps more subtle.......
Too funny... Rumor has it that Bartolo Colon has replaced Terry Forster in the updated McDonald's Set.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:14 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

It looks so NASCAR except for the McD's logo. Funny though.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:16 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Too funny... Rumor has it that Bartolo Colon has replaced Terry Forster in the updated McDonald's Set.
Don't forget the David Wells insert...

Old 07-29-2019, 05:53 PM
Rachel Stone
Rachel St.one

There's definitely room for product placement tailored to specific players...

Old 07-29-2019, 05:54 PM
Doug Goodman

This thread is amazing.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:02 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:

Am I not welcome here?

Ummm what on earth happened here? Thanks Rachel for bringing this to my attention. I had no idea all of this crap was going on. I haven't been on here much lately as I've been on vacation and traveling. Thanks Leon (NOT!) for letting me know. Would have been nice for you to reach out to me personally since we've talked before. I've been nothing but honest so this is really quite heartbreaking.

For the record, I'm not Rachel (no offense Rachel). I have a life outside of this website and I don't check in on a daily (sometimes weekly) basis. Sorry Rachel for having to go through this - she apparently had to send Leon her drivers license to prove she wasn't me. Yet, not a damn person contacted me about this until Rachel. Leon was happy to wrongfully doubt me though.

I might speak out and offend people at times but I'd never create another account and do what y'all accused me of. Honestly I thought you were better than that. A few apologies should be in order. This is hurtful and beyond messed up.

If anything like this ever happens again please reach out to me Leon instead of slamming and doubting me. I expect more from this forum. How you handled this is majorly disrespectful and disappointing.

Last edited by kateighty; 08-06-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This is an internet chat board for baseball card collectors, how heartbreaking can it be if you have done nothing wrong? Have you met anyone on this forum face to face yet (not that it really matters)?

That all said there is no playbook for how to address situations on the forum. Making sure people are who they say they are is a big deal. There were some others who thought the coincidences between you and Rachel were uncanny. I did too. My apologies if you are offended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateighty View Post
Ummm what on earth happened here? Thanks Rachael for bringing this to my attention. I had no idea all of this crap was going on. I haven't been on here much lately as I've been on vacation and traveling. Thanks Leon (NOT!) for letting me know. Would have been nice for you to reach out to me personally since we've talked before. I've been nothing but honest so this is really quite heartbreaking.

For the record, I'm not Rachel (no offense Rachel). I have a life outside of this website and I don't check in on a daily (sometimes weekly) basis. Sorry Rachel for having to go through this - she apparently had to send Leon her drivers license to prove she wasn't me. Yet, not a damn person contacted me about this until Rachel. Leon was happy to wrongfully doubt me though.

I might speak out and offend people at times but I'd never create another account and do what y'all accused me of. Honestly I thought you were better than that. A few apologies should be in order. This is hurtful and beyond messed up.

If anything like this ever happens again please reach out to me Leon instead of slamming and doubting me. I expect more from this forum. How you handled this is majorly disrespectful and disappointing.

Last edited by Leon; 08-06-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:31 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
This is an internet chat board for baseball card collectors, how heartbreaking can it be if you have done nothing wrong? Have you met anyone on this forum face to face yet (not that it really matters)?

That all said there is no playbook for how to address situations on the forum. Making sure people are who they say they are is a big deal. There were some others who thought the coincidences between you and Rachel were uncanny. I did too. My apologies if you are offended.
It's heartbreaking because I care about this shit Leon. I'm sorry if you don't get it. Just because another woman signs up for this forum and has an opinion that resembles mine doesn't mean we're the same person. You clearly don't do the same for the men here.

Times are changing. I've gotten several emails and messages from dads on here thanking me for my voice and saying that I'm an inspiration for their daughters who are interested in vintage cards. They hope their daughters will one day join this internet chat board as they're more into collecting cards than their sons. Surely they wouldn't want to do so if Leon is only going to require women to jump through hoops (myself included) to verify their identity.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:37 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

With regard to checking on identities I am color blind, gender blind and anything else blind. Sorry if you want to make it into something it isn't. Please don't be so dramatic too. It makes it seem like I was correct when you posted my PM to you saying I thought you have thin skin. Once again, don't make this into a gender thing when it hasn't a thing to do with it. Thanks

Quote:
It's heartbreaking because I care about this shit Leon. I'm sorry if you don't get it. Just because another woman signs up for this forum and has an opinion that resembles mine doesn't mean we're the same person. You clearly don't do the same for the men here.

Times are changing. I've gotten several emails and messages from dads on here thanking me for my voice and saying that I'm an inspiration for their daughters who are interested in vintage cards. They hope their daughters will one day join this internet chat board as they're more into collecting cards than their sons. Surely they wouldn't want to do so if Leon is only going to require women to jump through hoops (myself included) to verify their identity.

Last edited by Leon; 08-06-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:39 PM
Paul Lehr

Quote:

After 30 years of collecting I’m still dumbfounded that people get so butt hurt over baseball cards or other people’s opinions of them in this hobby. And why would any parent give a crap if their young daughters one day joined a baseball card message board or not? That’s comical at best.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:22 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

On a different baseball collector forum (specializing in game used) I was once called by the site owner who suspected me of having multiple accounts. I was a bit annoyed (because it was a chat room... what would be the point of doing that?) but after asserting my innocence and providing some info, everything was straightened up, he explained why he had wondered, and then he apologized. I consider that guy to be one of the good guys in the hobby.

I had healed emotionally even before my phone call with him ended.

I think everyone should lighten up a bit; we'll all be dead in 100 years anyway.

Last edited by Mark17; 08-06-2019 at 10:23 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-06-2019, 10:33 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
I went to law school in DC. Not even close. Thanks for the insults though. Not sure why you wasted brain cells on this but wow.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:36 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
With regard to checking on identities I am color blind, gender blind and anything else blind. Sorry if you want to make it into something it isn't. Please don't be so dramatic too. It makes it seem like I was correct when you posted my PM to you saying I thought you have thin skin. Once again, don't make this into a gender thing when it hasn't a thing to do with it. Thanks
Sure doesn't seem that way. Would love to know how many dudes you've called up in the last three months. You might not thing it's a gender thing but you know what, when you're on the other side it sure as hell comes across that way.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:47 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHR View Post
After 30 years of collecting I’m still dumbfounded that people get so butt hurt over baseball cards or other people’s opinions of them in this hobby. And why would any parent give a crap if their young daughters one day joined a baseball card message board or not? That’s comical at best.
Good for you. You started collecting before I was in kindergarten. I've grown up in a time where people could care less about collecting cards, especially ones over 100 years old. It's something that means a lot to me and I take things personally. Sorry if you guys give me crap for that but that's how I am. Say what you will but I'm allowed to have my own feelings, especially when a bunch of old men start talking smack about me and wrongly hypothesizing about my background. Now that's more comical in my opinion.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:49 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
Oh crud, in a couple years time we'll be seeing slabs with Burger King advertisements on them. Quick, somebody shove the genie back in the bottle!

For someone who doesn't know much about cards, you sure seem to know a lot about slabs and the National, enough to call it the Natty. Interesting. Yet my name was wrongly and falsely inserted in all of this mess.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:56 PM
Paul Lehr

Quote:
Good for you. You started collecting before I was in kindergarten. I've grown up in a time where people could care less about collecting cards, especially ones over 100 years old. It's something that means a lot to me and I take things personally. Sorry if you guys give me crap for that but that's how I am. Say what you will but I'm allowed to have my own feelings, especially when a bunch of old men start talking smack about me and wrongly hypothesizing about my background. Now that's more comical in my opinion.
I enjoy collecting as much as everyone else here, but again; it’s just pictures of dead guys on cardboard. Nothing earth shattering, nothing serious. Lighten up. I mean, would your life be any less meaningful if Leon shut this board down tomorrow?
Old 08-07-2019, 12:14 AM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHR View Post
I enjoy collecting as much as everyone else here, but again; it’s just pictures of dead guys on cardboard. Nothing earth shattering, nothing serious. Lighten up. I mean, would your life be any less meaningful if Leon shut this board down tomorrow?
Of course not. But false statements about my education and bar membership should not be allowed. And these statements are being quoted over and over again. That's beyond a personal attack. I stick by anything I personally say but for other people on here to use my full name and attack my personal credentials that's another story. It's not ok.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:22 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
For someone who doesn't know much about cards, you sure seem to know a lot about slabs and the National, enough to call it the Natty. Interesting. Yet my name was wrongly and falsely inserted in all of this mess.
Kat, why are you questioning the integrity of a female? Isn't this PRECISELY why you have chosen (and yes, it is a choice) to be offended? I wonder how many dudes YOU have questioned lately, over the use of the word "Natty."

Your comment above sure looks sexist to me...........

Rachel didn't accuse you of anything - she was being accused. And from what you stated earlier, she was the one nice enough to let you know what was happening. Why turn on HER, of all people?

You are choosing to be offended over nothing, and you are treating an innocent person exactly as you were treated. Does that make you feel better?