NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-20-2019, 06:29 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It seems Mattingly and Garvey are the two players with the biggest gap between perception and the metrics. They really cream Joe Carter too.
Surely you're not comparing Mattingly with Garvey are you? And don't call me surely!
Old 06-20-2019, 06:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Surely you're not comparing Mattingly with Garvey are you? And don't call me surely!
Garvey had 200 hits what, 6 times? 10 time all star. .294 BA. MVP and a 2nd place. 4 Gold Gloves. The metrics HATE him. BR ranks him 51st at 1B.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-20-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:38 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Garvey had 200 hits what, 6 times? 10 time all star. .294 BA. MVP and a 2nd place. 4 Gold Gloves. The metrics HATE him. BR ranks him 51st at 1B.
Pete, not disgracing Garvey, only trying to heighten how good Mattingly was....Having said that, who would you rather have at identical ages?
Old 06-20-2019, 06:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Pete, not disgracing Garvey, only trying to heighten how good Mattingly was....Having said that, who would you rather have at identical ages?
I'd give a slight edge to Mattingly, but let's not forget if you watched baseball in the 70s, it was accepted wisdom that Garvey was one of the elite players in the game.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:50 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

This is why people trotting out 'advanced' (um...theoretical) metrics like WAR drives me frickin' bananas. Anyone watching him play back in the day KNEW Garvey was the man. And I hated the Dodgers!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:59 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
I'd give a slight edge to Mattingly, but let's not forget if you watched baseball in the 70s, it was accepted wisdom that Garvey was one of the elite players in the game.
Yes, he was.....Loved his forearms!!
Old 06-20-2019, 07:08 PM
Kenny Cole

The only thing I will say about the "advanced metrics" is that they seem to change fairly regularly. I tend to go with my eye test at at least as much: if I watched a large portion of their career and thought they were elite then, that is important to me -- maybe more so than the "advanced stats" that people tout.

I grew up with Garvey. Never really cared for him as a person but always thought he was a pretty exceptional baseball player. Same with Mattingly: I viewed him then, and still do as pretty much the same as Kirby Puckett. One is in, one is out. They played at the same time, in the same league. One was beloved by the writers (at the time) and had an injury that ended his career. One had an injury that derailed his career. Puckett had a higher career WAR because he quit when he was injured, had more SBs. He had fewer HRs, slightly fewer RBIs, etc., than Mattingly. In my view, they were pretty comparable, both then and now. I frankly think that both of them are probably questionable. But I certainly don't think one was substantially better than the other. I am sure that the current "advanced metrics" will disagree, but I don't really care, because the metrics will say something different in a few more years as they "advance" some more.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:47 PM
Scott Russell

Willie Randolph is worth MUCH more as a second baseman as opposed to his contemporaries than Mattingly was as a first baseman compared to his. If Mattingly is easier to replace, than Randolph is obviously the better value. If Mattingly's whole career was like those 6 years it would be a different story, but unless your name is Koufax 6 years ain't enough to get you into the hall. Mattingly was barely a replacement level player the remainder of his career.

I'm not some kid (I'm sneaking up on 50) who thinks metrics are the only thing that counts. However there are baseball people a lot smarter than me who have certainly demonstrated that you ignore them at your peril if you want to win baseball games.

That being said you don't have to go deep into esoteric stats to understand that the value of Randolph's career is greater than that of Mattingly's. Randolph helped his team for almost the entirety of an 18 year career. Mattingly was a dead average producer at 1b except for that 6 year peak

We belong to two groups who will just never agree on these things, so I guess I'll give up too. After I snarkily point out that I have lots of company in the front offices of major league baseball teams that win.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 06-20-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:01 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Willie Randolph is worth MUCH more as a second baseman as opposed to his contemporaries than Mattingly was as a first baseman compared to his. If Mattingly is easier to replace, than Randolph is obviously the better value. If Mattingly's whole career was like those 6 years it would be a different story, but unless your name is Koufax 6 years ain't enough to get you into the hall. Mattingly was barely a replacement level player the remainder of his career.

I'm not some kid (I'm sneaking up on 50) who thinks metrics are the only thing that counts. However there are baseball people a lot smarter than me who have certainly demonstrated that you ignore them at your peril if you want to win baseball games.

That being said you don't have to go deep into esoteric stats to understand that the value of Randolph's career is greater than that of Mattingly's. Randolph helped his team for almost the entirety of an 18 year career. Mattingly was a dead average producer at 1b except for that 6 year peak

We belong to two groups who will just never agree on these things, so I guess I'll give up too. After I snarkily point out that I have lots of company in the front offices of major league baseball teams that win.
So you would take Randolph over Mattingly?