NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-17-2019, 04:47 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Cash is king always will be....wait for reality to set in with Lower prices...much lower...if it doesn’t happens sit back and enjoy all the cash you have 😎
Old 06-17-2019, 04:54 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Why would all cards move lower? I disagree - I think some high end and shiny cards will suffer but some low grade will be fine.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 06-17-2019, 05:47 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

If you collect as a hobby and for the enjoyment of collecting, buy whatever you want. Let's take a step back for just a moment. Acccording to Merriam-Webster, these are the definitions of "hobby" and "collecting"...

Definition of hobby -
: a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation

Definition of collecting -
: to gather an accumulation of (objects) especially as a hobby

If these are the reasons you are into cards, the money shouldn't matter. If you are investing, then it's a different story and the two terms don't really apply. Truth is, we are all going to be dead one day and none of it will matter.
If you fish or hunt as a hobby(just an example) you may spend thousands of dollars on gear, trips, etc. What do you have in the end??? Memories.
If you spending 10 hours a day reading posts about the current situation, losing sleep, stressing in general, then maybe this really isn't a hobby.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:52 PM
Scott Russell

I would say it's more a matter of; Whom is it safe to buy from?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-17-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I would say it's more a matter of; Whom is it safe to buy from?
Aquarian Sports Cards, duh.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:14 PM
je.sse @rnot

There's risk in every transaction. Look at the mess another member got into making a legitimate Ebay sale and dealing with PayPal. You can let it ruin the hobby for you, keep you on the sidelines for a while and see what happens, or just accept it and try to minimize the risk as best as you can. I will be going with the last option I mentioned.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
There's risk in every transaction. Look at the mess another member got into making a legitimate Ebay sale and dealing with PayPal. You can let it ruin the hobby for you, keep you on the sidelines for a while and see what happens, or just accept it and try to minimize the risk as best as you can. I will be going with the last option I mentioned.
For me this just confirms what I've known all along and I've had a methodology for trying to minimize the risk of altered cards for a long time. I'm waiting for a bit to see more certs exposed so I know whether I have to adjust my methodology at all, and I've completely punted one seller from consideration, but I think in the end it will continue to be proceed with caution rather than give up.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-17-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:17 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
Aquarian Sports Cards, duh.
Well I'd like to think so, but all my posts aren'y intended to be self-serving lol.

Without going into details I didn't just sit back and hope for the best for the hobby with regards to the current problems, and there would be no direct benefit to myself.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-18-2019, 10:53 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Cash is king always will be....wait for reality to set in with Lower prices...much lower...if it doesn’t happens sit back and enjoy all the cash you have 😎
I agree. Why give anyone ESPECIALLY PSA another nickel? They are supposed to have protected you from buying trimmed cards. They not only did not do what you paid them to do, their biggest dealer is sending in trimmed cards for high grades for over 15 years. That is just a rotten company...BOTH of them

Jim Stinson said it best.... If you piss in a glass of water, you have a glass of piss. PSA is Piss water
Old 06-23-2019, 07:11 AM
Larry P.

Are the older holders safer? What is the oldest holder so far that has a documented altered card? Or has this sh-t been going on for many years?

A recent major AH catalog has lots of PSA 10s and 9s in new holders.

Now I am hesitant to bid.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:19 AM
Johnny MaZilli

“A Fool And His Money are Soon Parted”

When I attend the National this year the lines at PSA and SGC will tell
me whether this is a lost cause or progress has been made....
I’m afraid the masses will still flock for their Newport Beach Slabs....if I see
Crazy lines there all week the beat will confine, nothing will change, no accountability, no real solution...same garbage. This will most likely be my Last national. Wish I didn’t already have the reservations, I don’t even feel like going to this crap show now.

Last edited by Johnny630; 06-23-2019 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:38 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
“A Fool And His Money are Soon Parted”

When I attend the National this year the lines at PSA and SGC will tell
me whether this is a lost cause or progress has been made....
I’m afraid the masses will still flock for their Newport Beach Slabs....if I see
Crazy lines there all week the beat will confine, nothing will change, no accountability, no real solution...same garbage. This will most likely be my Last national. Wish I didn’t already have the reservations, I don’t even feel like going to this crap show now.
Those slabs come from Santa Ana. Newport Beach would be a very expensive place to set up shop.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:11 AM
Tom Re.bert

During this years National will PSA be able to

check a few cards in existing PSA holders for

trimmed or bleached cards?

Also if determined the card isn't as described

will they want to slab the card as authentic v/s a grade.

Last edited by Directly; 06-23-2019 at 09:12 AM.