NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: What is your response to the recent PWCC revelations?
1. I wasn't buying from or consigning to PWCC in the first place. 166 34.87%
I will no longer buy from/consign to PWCC. 163 34.24%
I will continue to buy from/consign to PWCC. 78 16.39%
I haven't decided 69 14.50%
Voters: 476. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2019, 09:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
I love dining out and buying Baseball cards.

LA County Health Dept. allows a tolerable amount of rat urine to be on plates in restaurants before closing them down. I still eat out.
PWCC is auctioning over 17,000 cards in their current action. If 17 of those cards have been altered and gotten by the TPGs that is only 1/10th of 1 percent. I'll take my chances and bid.

Like I said I love BB cards and dining out.
Mike, have you happened to notice Gary's affinity for 48 Leafs? Just saying. Probably his favorite set.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-12-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:41 PM
D@le Irv*n

I think anyone who reads my posts knows I was done with PWCC a long time ago.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:47 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
I love dining out and buying Baseball cards.

LA County Health Dept. allows a tolerable amount of rat urine to be on plates in restaurants before closing them down. I still eat out.
PWCC is auctioning over 17,000 cards in their current action. If 17 of those cards have been altered and gotten by the TPGs that is only 1/10th of 1 percent. I'll take my chances and bid.

Like I said I love BB cards and dining out.
Your analogy would be better if that were even remotely true.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-12-2019, 09:53 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
They don't. But if you read the posts, I think you might come to the same conclusion.
Despite the mob mentality that has taken over this site against PWCC long before this scandal hit, I trust that when most members read your posts and mine it will be clear who lacks intelligence, even if they disagree with my opinion on this issue.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Despite the mob mentality that has taken over this site against PWCC long before this scandal hit, I trust that when most members read your posts and mine it will be clear who lacks intelligence, even if they disagree with my opinion on this issue.
There is no mob mentality. There are people who are fed up with fraud. Big difference. To try to demean those people by mischaracterizing them as a mob is only to demean yourself. As for Kenny, to suggest he lacks intelligence is beneath you, Jesse.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-12-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:58 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
ROTFL. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree and hopefully never interact again. At this point that would probably be best.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:59 PM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Your analogy would be better if that were even remotely true.
Here is a morbid and sad story but perhaps better analogy. 25 years ago today Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman were brutally killed. I’m now a group of 12 people we’re not able to find OJ guilty.

Some people just refuse to believe in anything they didn’t see happen no matter what the evidence.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram99 View Post
Here is a morbid and sad story but perhaps better analogy. 25 years ago today Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman were brutally killed. I’m now a group of 12 people we’re not able to find OJ guilty.

Some people just refuse to believe in anything they didn’t see happen no matter what the evidence.
I understand where you're going, but the prosecution really screwed up that case.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:01 PM
Mike Ryan

Scott,

Years ago I remember reading in the LA Times that Lasorda's Italian Restaurant, in Pasadena, on Fairoaks was shut down for 2 weeks because the rat urine exceeded the allowable levels. I was shocked that there isn't "zero tolerance".
Old 06-12-2019, 10:22 PM
Dave K.leppel

I basically stopped activities with PWCC when the 2016 "buyers group" / shilling issues came to my attention and I received corroboration of what was being done by PWCC.

I can't be 100% sure that I have not purchased anything from them since that time without checking my records, but I am sure I haven't bought anything significant from them.

As for consigning, my last consignment was probably in 2014.

Last edited by 70ToppsFanatic; 06-12-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:23 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I understand where you're going, but the prosecution really screwed up that case.
As an aside, the OJ thing really hurt me. I grew up in SoCal and was a huge OJ fan when he was at USC. My folks took me to the 1969 Rose Bowl where OJ was great and no one else at USC was. I was 8. When we played backyard football, whoever was the RB was OJ; the defender was either Deacon Jones or Butkus, depending on where you played. The QB was generally Roman Gabriel, maybe Unitas. Watching that white Bronco chase was pretty bad. Did you know that Willie Mays mentored him? I didn't until not too long ago, but that is what I've read. Evidently it didn't take all that well.

In any event, much as I would like to deny it, the evidence was pretty damning. He had really good lawyers and, as Peter said, the prosecution screwed a fair amount of stuff up. Judge Ito was also not up to the task. I watched a lot of that trial as a young lawyer. Doesn't matter, he was found not guilty of murder, which IMO is exactly why he was later hammered in Nevada. What goes around comes around I guess. Karma or something.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
As an aside, the OJ thing really hurt me. I grew up in SoCal and was a huge OJ fan when he was at USC. My folks took me to the 1969 Rose Bowl where OJ was great and no one else at USC was. I was 8. When we played backyard football, whoever was the RB was OJ; the defender was either Deacon Jones or Butkus, depending on where you played. The QB was generally Roman Gabriel, maybe Unitas. Watching that white Bronco chase was pretty bad. Did you know that Willie Mays mentored him? I didn't until not too long ago, but that is what I've read. Evidently it didn't take all that well.

In any event, much as I would like to deny it, the evidence was pretty damning. He had really good lawyers and, as Peter said, the prosecution screwed a fair amount of stuff up. Judge Ito was also not up to the task. I watched a lot of that trial as a young lawyer. Doesn't matter, he was found not guilty of murder, which IMO is exactly why he was later hammered in Nevada. What goes around comes around I guess. Karma or something.
I watched a lot of the trial as well and I was astonished at the glove episode which gave Johnny Cochran his famous line in closing. What a colossal mistake that the veteran prosecutor Marcia Clark never in a million years should have allowed to happen. And the decision not to put in evidence of the attempted flight was also, to me, inexplicable.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-12-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:51 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
I watched a lot of the trial as well and I was astonished at the glove episode which gave Johnny Cochran his famous line in closing. What a colossal mistake that the veteran prosecutor Marcia Clark never in a million years should have allowed to happen. And the decision not to put in evidence of the attempted flight was also, to me, inexplicable.
Yeah. You don't do stuff in trial unless you know its going to work. I saw that firsthand when I second chaired (or maybe third -- there were two of us who were young lawyers from the same class) a trial that involved a kid who got blown up and sustained 3rd degree burns over 78% of his body and lived. It was amazing. Walton v. Black & Decker. Greg Walton is now a plastic surgeon, which is also amazing. In any event, the defense in that case had basically three defenses and did an in-court demonstration to prove how what we said couldn't possibly have happened. Instead, it destroyed them and proved our case. Ed Abel, my senior partner at the time, was the most brutal cross-examiner I still have ever seen. He just killed the defense expert to the point that the jury was laughing at him whenever he answered a question. It was ugly.

Ten million dollar verdict in 1989, all of which was collected. Wish I'd had a bigger part of that case. But I didn't. Life goes on.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:51 PM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Quote:
OK well all of that said, couldn’t PWCC and PSA/CLCT have good lawyers, and whoever is going after them could swing and miss, and the whole thing could blow over like past scandals?

Somehow in the face of the scandal the stock is up.

Also the survey shows we at Net54 are not representative of the common collector because PWCC continues to have successful auctions (surely there’s no shilling in their auctions.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:54 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copa7 View Post
I believe each to his/her own.

But for the record, I prefer to know those that are OK with buying from PWCC. At least this way, I know not to purchase from those when they try to liquidate their tainted collection.
Good point. Why would you buy from someone who says they got their cards from PWCC.

That the provenance doesn't bother a buyer "ain't worth a hill of beans" when he turns to try to sell to collectors who do care about that provenance. And many collectors will consider the provenance a reflection on the seller's general ethics and care about authenticity. Irrelevant to the authenticity, "I got my autographs from Coach's Corner" isn't a good selling point or a good look for a seller.

Last edited by drcy; 06-12-2019 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:22 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
There is no mob mentality. There are people who are fed up with fraud. Big difference. To try to demean those people by mischaracterizing them as a mob is only to demean yourself. As for Kenny, to suggest he lacks intelligence is beneath you, Jesse.
Based on what I've seen over the years well before this scandal I disagree. Anything involving pwcc gets blown out of proportion in my opinion. People seem to enjoy piling on with whatever the current issue is. I do understand why guys are worked up over this scandal. But directing all or most of the anger at pwcc strikes me as a mob mentality.

As for Kenny I have rarely encountered intelligent people who need to resort to calling another person a noron over a difference of opinion. He may be a genius for all I know I don't remember reading any post from him before today. But from this limited sample size I stand by my assessment.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:44 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Based on what I've seen over the years well before this scandal I disagree. Anything involving pwcc gets blown out of proportion in my opinion. People seem to enjoy piling on with whatever the current issue is. I do understand why guys are worked up over this scandal. But directing all or most of the anger at pwcc strikes me as a mob mentality.

As for Kenny I have rarely encountered intelligent people who need to resort to calling another person a noron over a difference of opinion. He may be a genius for all I know I don't remember reading any post from him before today. But from this limited sample size I stand by my assessment.
You obviously are reading threads/posts selectively. There is major anger directed at PSA and Gary and card doctors. And as for PWCC, people are appalled, there is no enjoyment in it whatever and there never has been. Labeling someone you disagree with as a "mob" is a classic tactic of a demagogue but I won't get any more political other than to say read the newspapers. Maybe the reason they have had so many issues over the years is that they were in the wrong.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-13-2019 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:02 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

The problem for me is no matter what corner of the hobby I turn to to buy stuff there's fraud. I've been burned buying at shows, in online auctions, at the National, and from multiple ebay sellers. Fraud in this hobby is EVERYWHERE. It's too easy, and the odds of actually getting caught and going to jail are slim.

What I wonder is how you can be a long time member of this forum, having seen all the fraud over the years with autographs, shill bidding, etc. and STILL participate in it if you're as upset with this latest episode as you claim to be? What's it going to take to finally turn you away? I don't mean this to sound snarky, but, seriously, if this stuff upset me like it seems to upset many of you, I'd go collect barbed wire - people do, you know.

Here's a fun exercise for anyone going to the National this year. Ask for a receipt when you buy something. You'd think something that costs $1000 would at least warrant a receipt, wouldn't you? The answer tells you all you need to know about this hobby.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:10 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
I am not nearly smart enough to design a poll encompassing all three areas at once, but by all means you should.
Would this have been too hard?

I wasn't buying from or consigning to PWCC or submitting to PSA in the first place.
I will no longer buy from/consign to PWCC or submit to PSA.
I will continue to buy from/consign to PWCC and submit to PSA.
I haven't decided.

Let's not be disingenuous.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:15 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Would this have been too hard?

I wasn't buying from or consigning to PWCC or submitting to PSA in the first place.
I will no longer buy from/consign to PWCC or submit to PSA.
I will continue to buy from/consign to PWCC and submit to PSA.
I haven't decided.

Let's not be disingenuous.
Suppose I won't buy from PWCC but will submit to PSA. Or vice versa? Which answer do I choose? David you're being ridiculous. Stop. Start your own poll.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-13-2019 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:22 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Suppose I won't buy from PWCC but will submit to PSA. Or vice versa? Which answer do I choose? David you're being ridiculous. Stop. Start your own poll.
You're being ridiculous. You say this...

Quote:
To me there are three issues here of equal importance. The card doctors. The sellers enabling the card doctors. And the TPGs (hopefully due to incompetence not fraud) slabbing doctored cards. I think all three need to be addressed and I'll take intervention at any and all levels.
... but then only include PWCC in your poll. If they're all share in the blame equally, why not include them equally? If they're all equal, why would you do business with one and not the other? I don't get that.

But I do get this. Your poll proves Jesse right. It really is a mob mentality.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Taking out the top line of the poll, since they weren't customers to start with, it is close to 50/50 who will buy/undecided vs won't do business again. BTW., I think a LOT of people share Jesse's views but won't voice them due to what has transpired in this thread. Members piling on. (and in their mind rightfully so)....but it is still piling on. Trust me on that.

Peter- you know how I feel from our conversations on the phone.

Here is the one thing I have thought, and like Jesse, could absolutely be wrong.

Lets say Brent KNEW he was selling altered cards from Moser. I think that is a given. What isn't a given, is that he actually thought what he was doing was wrong., By almost all of his statements it seems he was drinking Moser's Kool Aid about what is allowable or not. Still guilty but not quite the same.
If I were his lawyer my first defense exhibit would be everything Brent has said. To me, and I think the law pertaining to sentences (at least), there is a difference between knowingly doing something wrong and doing something wrong but not knowing it was wrong when you did it. I am NOT defending any actions, only stating a point of view. And I am not saying Brent/PWCC is innocent, I am just saying, in my view, there is a reasonable chance, based on what I have seen and my very recent conversations with Brent, that he thought he wasn't doing anything wrong. On the other hand Moser knew what he was doing was wrong ie... Specific Intent. And I think PSA needs to step up their game a whole lot.

Last edited by Leon; 06-13-2019 at 06:29 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:29 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
The problem for me is no matter what corner of the hobby I turn to to buy stuff there's fraud. I've been burned buying at shows, in online auctions, at the National, and from multiple ebay sellers. Fraud in this hobby is EVERYWHERE. It's too easy, and the odds of actually getting caught and going to jail are slim.

What I wonder is how you can be a long time member of this forum, having seen all the fraud over the years with autographs, shill bidding, etc. and STILL participate in it if you're as upset with this latest episode as you claim to be? What's it going to take to finally turn you away? I don't mean this to sound snarky, but, seriously, if this stuff upset me like it seems to upset many of you, I'd go collect barbed wire - people do, you know.

Here's a fun exercise for anyone going to the National this year. Ask for a receipt when you buy something. You'd think something that costs $1000 would at least warrant a receipt, wouldn't you? The answer tells you all you need to know about this hobby.
Yes, that does say it all, also if you pay in cash I can give you a discount(wink/wink).

The problem is saying nothing has led us to this point in the hobby. People need to be loud and hopefully get rid of some of the scum in the hobby.

I honestly can't figure out how anyone that loves the hobby can't be happy about having less fraud, unless they are part of it.

As for the poll, I have been avoiding anything PWCC for many many years and see no reason to change now.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Taking out the top line of the poll, since they weren't customers to start with, it is close to 50/50 who will buy/undecided vs won't do business again. BTW., I think a LOT of people share Jesse's views but won't voice them due to what has transpired in this thread. Members piling on. (and in their mind rightfully so)....but it is still piling on. Trust me on that.

Peter- you know how I feel from our conversations on the phone.

Here is the one thing I have thought, and like Jesse, could absolutely be wrong.

Lets say Brent KNEW he was selling altered cards from Moser. I think that is a given. What isn't a given, is that he actually thought what he was doing was wrong., By almost all of his statements it seems he was drinking Moser's Kool Aid about what is allowable or not. Still guilty but not quite the same.
If I were his lawyer my first defense exhibit would be everything Brent has said. To me, and I think the law, there is a difference between knowingly doing something wrong and doing something wrong but not knowing it was wrong when you did it. I am NOT defending any actions, only stating a point of view. And I am not saying Brent/PWCC is innocent, I am just saying, in my view, there is a reasonable chance, based on what I have seen and my very recent conversations with Brent, that he thought he wasn't doing anything wrong. On the other hand Moser knew what he was doing was wrong. And I think PSA needs to step up there game a whole lot.
You're tying yourself in knots Leon. Gary did not convince him trimming and recoloring and sharpening corners were OK. I promise you.

Agreed on Gary and PSA.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-13-2019 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I didn't say that. Brent has always told me he thought trimming was wrong and adding anything to a card was wrong.

Quote:
You're tying yourself in knots Leon. Gary did not convince him trimming and recoloring and sharpening corners were OK. I promise you.

Agreed on Gary and PSA.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:36 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
i didn't say that. Brent has always told me he thought trimming was wrong and adding anything to a card was wrong.
QED. He knew what Gary did, trust me. Was he alone? No, not at all, many people did and do the same thing, to some extent for Gary and for many other card doctors. But that doesn't excuse Brent. He knowingly sold altered cards for money. He knew it was wrong. It isn't any more complicated than that.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-13-2019 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:42 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
You're being ridiculous. You say this...

... but then only include PWCC in your poll. If they're all share in the blame equally, why not include them equally? If they're all equal, why would you do business with one and not the other? I don't get that.

But I do get this. Your poll proves Jesse right. It really is a mob mentality.
Why you are sniping at someone doing his best to criticize fraud in the hobby we all presumably love is beyond me at this point, David.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-13-2019 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

I should add Leon that you really would be best advised not to continue to make pronouncements about what you think the law is. Do you think for example that Robin Hood would have been excused from the crime of stealing because he thought it was the right thing to do?

Not knowing right from wrong is an insanity defense but otherwise it's not the issue for intent.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-13-2019 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:53 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Why you are sniping at someone doing his best to criticize fraud in the hobby we all presumably love is beyond me at this point, David.
Because the fraud is being perpetrated by multiple parties and you only choose to focus on one of those parties. And don't tell me to read your other posts about how you blame PSA too. I've read them. Words are one thing, actions are another. You could have included PSA in this poll too if you really thought they share equally in the blame.

Hypothetical question. Let's say YOU had the power to successfully prosecute ONLY ONE of these parties and get a conviction - the other two skate. Who would you choose? Brent? Gary? PSA?
Old 06-13-2019, 06:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Because the fraud is being perpetrated by multiple parties and you only choose to focus on one of those parties. And don't tell me to read your other posts about how you blame PSA too. I've read them. Words are one thing, actions are another. You could have included PSA in this poll too if you really thought they share equally in the blame.

Hypothetical question. Let's say YOU had the power to successfully prosecute ONLY ONE of these parties and get a conviction - the other two skate. Who would you choose? Brent? Gary? PSA?
Gary.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:58 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:

What’s PSA’s crime?
Old 06-13-2019, 07:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

ok, then he was insane.

Quote:
I should add Leon that you really would be best advised not to continue to make pronouncements about what you think the law is. Do you think for example that Robin Hood would have been excused from the crime of stealing because he thought it was the right thing to do?

Not knowing right from wrong is an insanity defense but otherwise it's not the issue for intent.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:07 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
ok, then he was insane.
Well, there may be something to that, he does sometimes get insane prices.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:09 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I'm very confused by all this talk. Remember, PWCC has been selling cards from approximately 10 card doctors, passed through PSA, Beckett, and SGC. All of them are at fault.
If PSA doesn't pay out to the victims on their grade guarantees, there will be just as many threads on them. PSA can still claim ignorance in passing the doctored cards as long as they pay out on their policies or have PWCC do it.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:14 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
What’s PSA’s crime?
I don't know about NY, but in TX it's against the law to take money for a service you didn't provide.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 06-13-2019 at 07:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-13-2019, 07:27 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
I don't know about NY, but in TX it's against the law to take money for a service you didn't provide.
Really? Which Texas criminal statute are you referring to?
Old 06-13-2019, 07:28 AM
Jason S!m@nds

I said yes, I'll still consign. If someone creates a consignment service as efficient and effective as PWCC, maybe I'll switch. I haven't bought much from them, but if they still had something that I liked, I'd still probably bid. I tend to shy away from high-dollar cards at PWCC though.

On a related note, why have we only heard from LOTG on this scandal? Surely many of these cards originated from other auction houses. Surely these cards will start to make their way into other auction houses if PWCC actually starts to reject Moser consignments. Should we assume other auction houses will reject six figure consignments from Moser if given the opportunity?
Old 06-13-2019, 07:33 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Really? Which Texas criminal statute are you referring to?
It's right under the statute that affirms that doctoring a card is fraud. Surely you're familiar with it?
Old 06-13-2019, 07:36 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
I said yes, I'll still consign. If someone creates a consignment service as efficient and effective as PWCC, maybe I'll switch. I haven't bought much from them, but if they still had something that I liked, I'd still probably bid. I tend to shy away from high-dollar cards at PWCC though.

On a related note, why have we only heard from LOTG on this scandal? Surely many of these cards originated from other auction houses. Surely these cards will start to make their way into other auction houses if PWCC actually starts to reject Moser consignments. Should we assume other auction houses will reject six figure consignments from Moser if given the opportunity?
It's not just Gary. There are lots of guys doing this work and have been for decades. Sigh. And yes many AHs take their cards. I had an extraordinary conversation with one of them a few years back, it was quite the wake up call to what really goes on.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:38 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
It's right under the statute that affirms that doctoring a card is fraud. Surely you're familiar with it?
PSA’s incompetence is not criminal, just as stupidity isn’t criminalized either.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:56 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
PSA’s incompetence is not criminal, just as stupidity isn’t criminalized either.
Isn't PSA in essence a contractor? Aren't people paying them to perform a service? If they can't do that service (even if it is incompetence) can't they still be held liable in a civil court?

Maybe not criminal, but they're still obligated to perform the service for which they were paid. If I hire a contractor to remodel my kitchen and he screws it up, do I not have any recourse? Sure I do.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:01 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Of course! They’re 100% liable civilly for their lousy work. And lousy is being kind.

And I wish a criminal case could be made against PSA as it would better explain some of their head-scratching incompetence. But that would require evidence that they purposely allowed altered cards to be graded, ie someone getting paid off to do so. There hasn’t even been smoke yet suggesting such evidence exists. But who knows for certain.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:02 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
This reminds me of the news headline we have all seen over and over again....

“Lots of citizens announce they are preparing to move out of the country if _______ elected President”.

Yeah sure. And you know how many of them follow through and move out of the country? None of them.

Huge chasm between the chest thumping of what people say they are going to do and what people eventually end up doing.

Certainly true that social desirability effects can significantly sway poll results, but I can attest that in the case of the example you raised, much of it comes down to ability (not that I ever threatened to leave the country if a certain election didn't turn out as I'd hoped, but right after one particular election, and with no vacation plans, my wife and I did go to the trouble of getting passports for all of our kids, including a toddler, and looking for jobs and houses in New Zealand; it just turned out we didn't get any of the jobs that would have allowed us to buy any of the houses, or we'd be there now). Anyway, anyone should be capable of not consigning to or buying from a particular AH.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:05 AM
David Peck

Leon you raise a great point. A large percentage of respondents weren't using PWCC prior and so while their opinion matters for this poll it has no bearing on the future impact of PWCC.

I have been wearing Nike Air Max since I was 17. For the last 23 years I have only worn this type of athletic shoe. They have raised the price over time and the last pair I purchased was over $200. Nike in my view has the best styling and performance you can find and for that I am a loyal customer. Last year they did the unthinkable and ran adds with Colin Kaepernick. I despise that guy. How on earth could Nike alienate such a large percentage of their customer base in favor of making a political statement? In mass there was outrage on social media. Their stock dropped on the news. Videos of long time customers burning their products and swearing never to buy from them again. Here we sit a year later and I have never seen the add once, their stock is back to right where it was, you never hear anyone saying they are done with Nike, and my next pair of shoes will still be Air Max.

I shave six to seven days a week. I use the Gillette five blade and Edge shave gel. There have been loads of new products come onto the market. Cheaper blades, fancy shave creams and I still use the same formula that works for me. Gillette releases an add focusing on Toxic Masculinity. WTF??? Their vision is for all men to be beta male soy boys after for years showcasing studs that get chicks. Outrage ensues. Social media is exploding. Their idiotic video is shared countless times and the response was so bad they deleted thousands of comments from it on Youtube. My wife even said Dave I don't want Gillette products in our home. Here I sit as I type this and once more all of this has gone away. I still use the Gillette five blade and will continue to because in my view it is the best razor blade on the market.

This saga will pass in time. Collecting is an individual choice where people put their hard earned money into collectibles and to completely boycott the seller won't last. I am confident plenty of people saying this today will eventually turn and purchase from them once more. The same people consigning to PWCC could simply send the cards to Probstein. Are you going to boycott all consignment sellers? Of course not. Many of us search daily for specific cards or ones that could enhance our collections and I am not going to give up on that just because there is the appearance of wrong doing. It is laughable to think that all PWCC auctioned cards are bad. Reading comments on various boards that all high grade cards are suspect. Give me a break. I have self subbed a ton. Many others have too.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:06 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:

Lets say Brent KNEW he was selling altered cards from Moser. I think that is a given. What isn't a given, is that he actually thought what he was doing was wrong
I don't think that's a defense...

Counselor

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-13-2019, 08:12 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I don't think that's a defense...

Counselor
As I posted it's actually an insanity defense, but other than Leon I don't think anyone else is going there.

The notion being that if you are insane and don't have the ability to differentiate right from wrong, you can't form the requisite criminal intent. Distillation of a complex topic.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-13-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:13 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

No More PWCC. Life is too short.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-13-2019, 08:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
As I posted it's actually an insanity defense, but other than Leon I don't think anyone else is going there.

The notion being that if you are insane and don't have the ability to differentiate right from wrong, you can't form the requisite criminal intent. Distillation of a complex topic.
I should have said it is a mitigating circumstance.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I should have said it is a mitigating circumstance.
That is a sentencing issue. You really should quit.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:19 AM
James

Default negligence?

Quote:
jeff/peter, do you think psa's actions (or lack thereof) were negligent? do you think a judge/jury would find them negligent (either criminal or civil)?

Last edited by griffon512; 06-13-2019 at 08:46 AM.