NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-10-2019, 08:12 PM
Per.ry Sc-hultz

2nd qtr. 54-48 warriors....

Old 06-10-2019, 11:20 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Man that whole concept just smells funny. Please send us the evidence so that we can TRY and pay you back and even though we have been completely untrustworthy to date, trust us to give the card to the authorities.

Or maybe give us the card back and we'll try and resell it so we can give you your money back without costing us anything???
If not too much time has passed, I would definitely pursue your refunds via either eBay or PayPal (NOT PWCC). Both eBay and PayPal will refund you in full, and then they will collect the funds from PWCC. That way, you won't have to play the waiting game indefinitely, and won't have to worry about actually getting your refund. Ebay will take the headache out of it, and they'll collect the funds from PWCC after the fact.

As long as it's within the accepted time frame, why would anyone go the more difficult and problematic route? With all of its flaws, at least eBay has excellent Buyer Protection Policies.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:19 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
That was originally a $9,000 card that Moser cracked out and doctored. So much for the claim on here that Moser would not have taken a chance by "conserving" the $3,000 Musial card. The risk/reward trade off is rather high when a one grade bump is worth $32K.

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-11-2019 at 02:21 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:23 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

As long as it's within the accepted time frame, why would anyone go the more difficult and problematic route? With all of its flaws, at least eBay has excellent Buyer Protection Policies.
I don't really think many people are going down the more problematic route if the card was a recent purchase. It is the people with Moser cards from a couple years ago that are over a barrel.

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-11-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:24 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I don't really think many people are going down the the more problematic route if the card was a recent purchase. It is the people with Moser cards from a couple years ago that are over a barrel.
That's a shame for those unfortunate collectors... that's why I emphasized the "accepted" eBay time frame.

Hopefully PWCC and PSA will make good on their respective promises/guarantees, and make these victims whole again.

Best of luck to the hundreds pf people impacted!
Old 06-11-2019, 11:30 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I would not send my card to PWCC without cash in hand. 'Work' to get me a refund? Bullshit. I got that swinging.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-11-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:25 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

No way, they will pull the SGC card

"Its under federal investigation, so seek restitution from the FBI"

SGC added if I sent them the flip, they would reimburse me the grading fee. I thought that was cute.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-12-2019, 06:06 AM
Peter Spaeth

A slimmed down Leaf Dempsey.
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=2869

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:09 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
That was originally a $9,000 card that Moser cracked out and doctored. So much for the claim on here that Moser would not have taken a chance by "conserving" the $3,000 Musial card. The risk/reward trade off is rather high when a one grade bump is worth $32K.
As long as you can afford to lose, which he clearly can, it's just a risk reward calculation for him. Anyone who thought he wouldn't crack out the Musial without some assurance of a bump from the inside doesn't understand the scale on which he operates, or the mindset.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:27 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Quote:
As long as you can afford to lose, which he clearly can, it's just a risk reward calculation for him. Anyone who thought he wouldn't crack out the Musial without some assurance of a bump from the inside doesn't understand the scale on which he operates, or the mindset.
+1

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 06-12-2019, 06:38 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:

Damn you to hell PWCC and Moser!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-12-2019, 06:39 AM
Ben North

Quote:
I understand that everything that has been uncovered to this point isn't even a scratch on the tip of a very huge iceberg.

I don't understand the mind set of those that don't understand how shady the hobby is. My favorite part is how they think something could be going on but it doesn't affect them. I love the I collect this and the scammers stay away from it because there is no real $ in it.LOL dream on sucker. Scammers are selling $2 fake autographed cards up to the most expensive card in the hobby.

Lets not forget the morons who think their PSA card(s) are not affected because this is something new.LOL PSA has been a scam since the beginning. They 100% need to fail if this hobby is going to go forward and clean itself up.

I know my posts are not very popular on this forum but at least they are honest.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

Damn you to hell PWCC and Moser!
Boxing tu, Brute.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:42 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I understand that everything that has been uncovered to this point isn't even a scratch on the tip of a very huge iceberg.

I don't understand the mind set of those that don't understand how shady the hobby is. My favorite part is how they think something could be going on but it doesn't affect them. I love the I collect this and the scammers stay away from it because there is no real $ in it.LOL dream on sucker. Scammers are selling $2 fake autographed cards up to the most expensive card in the hobby.

Lets not forget the morons who think their PSA card(s) are not affected because this is something new.LOL PSA has been a scam since the beginning. They 100% need to fail if this hobby is going to go forward and clean itself up.

I know my posts are not very popular on this forum but at least they are honest.
Yeah, "it doesn't affect me" is certainly one of the more common defense mechanisms people employ. I am probably guilty of it myself.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:42 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Quote:

+1, especially on the PSA part.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 06-12-2019, 06:56 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Yeah, "it doesn't affect me" is certainly one of the more common defense mechanisms people employ. I am probably guilty of it myself.
This is how it works in my experience.

Me: Sorry to tell you but that card is altered.

Other: I can see how it could be altered but mine is NOT.

Me: Your card is altered and I explain how.

Other: Now this gets 3 different responses.
1) Least common, That sucks I now have a altered card in my collection.
2) Most common, I see the card listed as a rare error for sale within a few days by the person I was trying to help.
3) Have the card owner call me names and tell me how important they are in the hobby and how stupid I am. Then they list it as a rare error card for sale.

I won't out names but I have had #s 2 and 3 happen on this forum from some very respected members.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:44 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:

You are absolutely correct. Some people will go into Car analogies instead of just opening their eyes and see the nose in front of their face.

I hope PSA goes bankrupt much like I hoped GM would go bankrupt back in 1982 when My Trans Am was a lemon. I never purchased another GM piece of S***. My dream came true many years later but then the government inexplicably bailed them out. Maybe PSA will get bailed out by the Government?

There's your car analogy for the day car guys, enjoy....

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 06-12-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:48 AM
Peter Spaeth

Meanwhile CLCT stock has recovered and then some from the drop the other day. Not so easy to short stock as some folks seem to think.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:19 AM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Quote:
Meanwhile CLCT stock has recovered and then some from the drop the other day. Not so easy to short stock as some folks seem to think.
It's very easy to short and is up today on 10K shares.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:23 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
It might be easy to get shares to short but it is a terrible short.

No liquidity and the open interest in the options market is tiny with massive spreads.

It is one thing to not like CLCT and hope for its demise but a terrible trading stock.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Maybe with inside information, but otherwise not so sure about that.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:32 AM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Quote:
Maybe with inside information, but otherwise not so sure about that.
What does inside information have to do with whether it’s easy to short or not? And aside from that with what we have seen on this board and blowout over the past few weeks would you want to be a shareholder of this company?
Old 06-12-2019, 09:34 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
What does inside information have to do with whether it’s easy to short or not? And aside from that with what we have seen on this board and blowout over the past few weeks would you want to be a shareholder of this company?
If by easy you simply mean the process, then nothing, but I thought you were referring to the chances of success.

I wouldn't want anything to do with this stock in either direction at this point. I think the market impact of this stuff is very hard to predict.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-12-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:42 AM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Quote:
If by easy you simply mean the process, then nothing, but I thought you were referring to the chances of success.

I wouldn't want anything to do with this stock in either direction at this point. I think the market impact of this stuff is very hard to predict.
Now I understand what you meant. And as for where the stock goes I guess it depends on how much liability and litigation comes out of this. Probably tough to tell now but I know if I thought I had an affected card I would not let them get away without honoring their guarantee.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Now I understand what you meant. And as for where the stock goes I guess it depends on how much liability and litigation comes out of this. Probably tough to tell now but I know if I thought I had an affected card I would not let them get away without honoring their guarantee.
We'll see. Companies are very adept at settling lawsuits cheaply enough not to impact the stock price, particularly with plaintiffs' lawyers who want a payday more than anything and settle for pennies on the dollar. Most litigation I do on the defense side, if we don't win at the motion stage, ends up this way.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:18 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:

I don't understand the mind set of those that don't understand how shady the hobby is.
I'm starting to think you're like Mike O'Keeffe and just hate cards.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:21 AM
David Peck

Quote:
We'll see. Companies are very adept at settling lawsuits cheaply enough not to impact the stock price, particularly with plaintiffs' lawyers who want a payday more than anything and settle for pennies on the dollar. Most litigation I do on the defense side, if we don't win at the motion stage, ends up this way.
It is not my area of expertise but it would seem that CLCT might carry some form of errors and omissions insurance. Just doing a quick Google search it can cover professional advice and it would seem that a graded altered card could fall under inaccurate advice.

At the end of the quarter in March CLCT had 15.7 million in cash and is on pace to earn roughly 9.6 million in their current fiscal year. I keep reading posts about the 832k reserve fund and people are forgetting this is just a bad debt reserve and should they have to payout more they have plenty of other resources to stay a float.

I get the feeling that it isn't going to be a slam dunk for card buyers to be made whole and especially since you sign a submission form that states you won't submit trimmed cards. I could see them going hard after this Moser guy and he clearly has some resources one would think after the trail of successful flips he has made.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:23 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
It is not my area of expertise but it would seem that CLCT might carry some form of errors and omissions insurance. Just doing a quick Google search it can cover professional advice and it would seem that a graded altered card could fall under inaccurate advice.

At the end of the quarter in March CLCT had 15.7 million in cash and is on pace to earn roughly 9.6 million in their current fiscal year. I keep reading posts about the 832k reserve fund and people are forgetting this is just a bad debt reserve and should they have to payout more they have plenty of other resources to stay a float.

I get the feeling that it isn't going to be a slam dunk for card buyers to be made whole and especially since you sign a submission form that states you won't submit trimmed cards. I could see them going hard after this Moser guy and he clearly has some resources one would think after the trail of successful flips he has made.
They may be able to pay and not go insolvent but a big hit to their cash will mean a hit to their valuation, no?

Old 06-12-2019, 11:33 AM
David Peck

Quote:
They may be able to pay and not go insolvent but a big hit to their cash will mean a hit to their valuation, no?
The market cap is 175 million at the current share price. Obviously it wouldn't be a good thing for the company if they had to pay out millions of dollars but how much of an impact I think is unknown. Their cash since March of 18 was up 6.2 million and the stock was just over $16 then. I could easily be wrong but I don't see them writing checks for six million dollars on this. If so the stock probably retreats some but what will be more telling is what happens to submission revenue. I don't have a breakdown of how much revenue they get from higher priced submissions but if that were to slow significantly because they are getting less submissions that would probably be something that would have a bigger impact on the stock. I can't under any circumstances see this slowing down gaming submissions or lower priced cards like most collectors submit. The other issue is if they deem cards trimmed they keep the fee. I will go through their 10Q and see if I can find the average card submission price. I think if I recall it is under $10. I also think people forget that the coin business is over 60% of revenue and that has struggled in recent years and has had a big impact on the stock. I totally get that many hate grading but this isn't a dooms day scenario under any circumstances in my view.

Last edited by Dpeck100; 06-12-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:39 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I'm starting to think you're like Mike O'Keeffe and just hate cards.
I have no idea who Mike O'Keefe is but I love cards. I am always buying, selling, and trading cards with some excellent people.

I just really hate the shady side of the hobby.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:43 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
The market cap is 175 million at the current share price. Obviously it wouldn't be a good thing for the company if they had to pay out millions of dollars but how much of an impact I think is unknown. Their cash since March of 18 was up 6.2 million and the stock was just over $16 then. I could easily be wrong but I don't see them writing checks for six million dollars on this. If so the stock probably retreats some but what will be more telling is what happens to submission revenue. I don't have a breakdown of how much revenue they get from higher priced submissions but if that were to slow significantly because they are getting less submissions that would probably be something that would have a bigger impact on the stock. I can't under any circumstances see this slowing down gaming submissions or lower priced cards like most collectors submit. The other issue is if they deem cards trimmed they keep the fee. I will go through their 10Q and see if I can find the average card submission price. I think if I recall it is under $10. I also think people forget that the coin business is over 60% of revenue and that has struggled in recent years and has had a big impact on the stock. I totally get that many hate grading but this isn't a dooms day scenario under any circumstances in my view.
That's a reasonable analysis but then why is Orlando/Sloan's first statement on the matter an obvious effort to protect against the possibility of a big payout by trying to minimize the scope of the problem, and telling people to go to their sellers with a problem and not PSA? Unless of course the seller is "unknown." Right, I buy lots of cards from unknown people on street corners. Why not just own up to the issue, do their best to help defrauded collectors, institute some positive changes, and move forward? If they truly can afford to deal with this, their instincts are very poor in my opinion.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-12-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:44 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:

I know these threads are long but the info is largely all there at this point. In their recent stockholders statement they say that they have no insurance that would cover their guarantee.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-12-2019, 11:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I know these threads are long but the info is largely all there at this point. In their recent stockholders statement they say that they have no insurance that would cover their guarantee.
Yes it's in the risk factors section of the K.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-12-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:53 AM
David Peck

Quote:
That's a reasonable analysis but then why is Orlando/Sloan's first statement on the matter an obvious effort to protect against the possibility of a big payout by trying to minimize the scope of the problem, and telling people to go to their sellers with a problem and not PSA? Unless of course the seller is "unknown." Right, I buy lots of cards from unknown people on street corners. Why not just own up to the issue, do their best to help defrauded collectors, institute some positive changes, and move forward? If they truly can afford to deal with this, their instincts are very poor in my opinion.

This is from their 10k

In the case of trading cards, in fiscal 2018, the authentication and grading fees ranged from approximately $1 to $3,575 but averaged $8.74, per trading card. As a
general rule, collectibles dealers and, to a lesser extent, individual collectors, request faster turnaround times and, therefore, generally pay higher fees for more valuable, older
or “vintage” collectibles than they do for modern collectibles.

It is a publicly traded company with stockholders. I would expect them to try and protect the fort. We will know more in the coming months as stories from affected individuals will make it online. I posted a copy of the info my friend Rob (Wrestlingcardking) got from PWCC and it looks to me like it isn't going to be a slam dunk that he sees a refund quickly or at all. Time will tell. In his case the card is in his registry set so many collectors might be faced with the choice to send back the card and break up their set. I could see a scenario where some keep the cards.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:56 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Yes it's in the risk factors section of the K.
Reading through it now and will find it and post it.

This is interesting.

We do not provide a warranty with respect to our opinions regarding the authenticity or quality of autographs or memorabilia.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:56 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
This is from their 10k

In the case of trading cards, in fiscal 2018, the authentication and grading fees ranged from approximately $1 to $3,575 but averaged $8.74, per trading card. As a
general rule, collectibles dealers and, to a lesser extent, individual collectors, request faster turnaround times and, therefore, generally pay higher fees for more valuable, older
or “vintage” collectibles than they do for modern collectibles.

It is a publicly traded company with stockholders. I would expect them to try and protect the fort. We will know more in the coming months as stories from affected individuals will make it online. I posted a copy of the info my friend Rob (Wrestlingcardking) got from PWCC and it looks to me like it isn't going to be a slam dunk that he sees a refund quickly or at all. Time will tell. In his case the card is in his registry set so many collectors might be faced with the choice to send back the card and break up their set. I could see a scenario where some keep the cards.
it is a company that ultimately depends on the faith of the collecting community. I would expect them to do what it takes to restore and preserve that faith even at the expense of a short term hit to the bottom line. The corporate culture seems to be one of secrecy and an ostrich-like stance vis a vis the community. Poof -- kinda says it all.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-12-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:59 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Here it is

We could suffer losses on authentication and grading warranties.
In general, we issue an authenticity or grading warranty for coins and trading cards that we authenticate or grade. Those warranties provide that:
■ if a coin or trading card that we authenticated and sealed in one of our tamper-evident plastic holders are later determined by us not to have been genuine, we
would have to purchase the collectible at its current market value had it been genuine; or
■ if a coin or trading card that we graded and sealed in one of our tamper-evident plastic holders later receives a lower grade upon resubmission to us for grading,
we would be obligated either to purchase the collectible at the market value at its original assigned grade or to pay the difference between that value as
compared to the value at the lower grade.
We have no insurance coverage for claims made under these warranties, and therefore we maintain reserves for such warranty claims based on historical experience.
However, there is no assurance that these warranty reserves will prove to be adequate, and as we expand our services in overseas markets, we may incur higher warranty
claims than we have experienced in the past. If our warranty reserves prove to be inadequate, our gross margin and operating results could be harmed. As a result, we monitor
the adequacy of our warranty reserves on an ongoing basis.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:04 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
I have no idea who Mike O'Keefe is.......
Hey Ben hope you are doing well. I am sure if you go back a few years you would remember O'Keefe.

Member since 2009
Old 06-12-2019, 12:07 PM
David Peck

Quote:
it is a company that ultimately depends on the faith of the collecting community. I would expect them to do what it takes to restore and preserve that faith even at the expense of a short term hit to the bottom line. The corporate culture seems to be one of secrecy and an ostrich-like stance vis a vis the community. Poof -- kinda says it all.
I am very curious to see what happens with the Musial PSA 10. It appeared that some ink was added to the card and if they can't tell when it is in hand I could see the grade standing.

If it gets refunded I could also see them going after this Moser guy and trying to recoup their money that way.

Time will tell.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:45 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

I hope the hell PSA goes down the drain. They created a product so people would be sure their cards are real and turned it into a money making ripoff. I wouldn't send a card to PSA again if the price for grading was $1.00. They have turned into an absolute joke. And yes I have a number of cards graded by them, but never again. Frank.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:52 PM
John

Maybe the author of this book is the referenced O'Keefe?

It's a good book and came out in 2007 - I wish I had paid more attention to it. There is a whole chapter where the author visits a card doctor who shows him examples of cards he gets past TPGs.

https://www.amazon.com/Card-Collecto.../dp/0061123927
Old 06-12-2019, 12:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanksAndSpartans View Post
Maybe the author of this book is the referenced O'Keefe?

It's a good book and came out in 2007 - I wish I had paid more attention to it. There is a whole chapter where the author visits a card doctor who shows him examples of cards he gets past TPGs.

https://www.amazon.com/Card-Collecto.../dp/0061123927
That be he.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:02 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

I can only speak from cards I have seen ink added to or altered in some way. What I have noticed is the ink actually forms a layer over the adjoining ink and is identifiable under magnification. When holding it back and looking at the card from arms distance these spots sometimes show up as surface marks, wax stains, halos, or scuffs and passed off as such. If the person reviewing does their due diligence they will review the spots individually. Stop to think about the time it will take a person to review that much data. How many cards will go by before one is legit altered? There are a lot of ink altered cards out in holders old and new simply due to the variable ratio schedule. BUT, Such high end cards should be given to a couple of specialized graders that are given ample time to review regardless of turn times.

I am amazed at how much focus is being made on the inks dots when the biggest tell its altered is blatant. Never in the history of ever did these cards come from the factory clean shaved. The paper cutting guillotine machines didn't allow for it to occur. The real collectors know this and so do all the graders familiar with this time frame of cards. Yes some are prettier than others but all have fiber pull and none will ever come off razor sharp without the factory rolled edge. The card has been altered for a while and its a shame it made it back this far.

Member since 2009
Old 06-12-2019, 05:06 PM

Interesting theory posted on blowout......

“Aren't the cards surfaced after printing? This is how Moser has been able to get recoloring past PSA graders -- after recoloring, he's been resurfacing the gloss on the cards, so that whatever work he's done appears to have occurred before the card's original surfacing was applied.”

Could that be possible?
Old 06-12-2019, 05:31 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

From PSA's most recent 10-Q (qtr ended 3/31/19), pg 11 https://q10k.com/CLCT

Warranty Costs

We provide a limited warranty covering the coins and trading cards that we authenticate and grade. Under the warranty, if any collectible coin or trading card that was previously authenticated and graded by us is later submitted to us for re-grading and either (i) receives a lower grade upon that re-submittal or (ii) is determined not to have been authentic, we will offer to purchase the collectible or, in the alternative, at the customer’s option, pay the difference in value of the item at its original grade, as compared to its value at its lower grade. However, this warranty is voided if the collectible, upon re-submittal to us, is not in the same tamper-evident holder in which it was placed at the time we last graded it. We accrue for estimated warranty costs based on historical trends and related experience. We monitor the adequacy of our warranty reserves on an ongoing basis for significant claims resulting from resubmissions receiving lower grades or deemed not to have been authentic. Warranty expense recognized in the three and nine months ended March 31, 2019 was $73,000 and $402,000, respectively, as compared to $128,000 and $343,000, respectively, in the three and nine months ended March 31, 2018.

Also from that same 10-Q page 12

Their accrued warranty reserve at the end of 3/31/19 looks to be $728,000.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 06-12-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:24 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
I just really hate the shady side of the hobby.
Wherever there is money to be made, there will be a shady side.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 06-12-2019, 06:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

4 to 7 Beliveau RC

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=2873

Old 06-12-2019, 07:09 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott L. View Post
Interesting theory posted on blowout......

“Aren't the cards surfaced after printing? This is how Moser has been able to get recoloring past PSA graders -- after recoloring, he's been resurfacing the gloss on the cards, so that whatever work he's done appears to have occurred before the card's original surfacing was applied.”

Could that be possible?
It's very possible. What usually trips up the people who regum stamps (a similar process) is that the new gum runs just over the edge and soaks into the side, where it's often really obvious.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:13 PM
Robert Williams

Is nothing sacred with this guy?? I'm blown away at how many tainted cards are apparently out there!

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=2878
Old 06-12-2019, 07:14 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
I can only speak from cards I have seen ink added to or altered in some way. What I have noticed is the ink actually forms a layer over the adjoining ink and is identifiable under magnification. When holding it back and looking at the card from arms distance these spots sometimes show up as surface marks, wax stains, halos, or scuffs and passed off as such. If the person reviewing does their due diligence they will review the spots individually. Stop to think about the time it will take a person to review that much data. How many cards will go by before one is legit altered? There are a lot of ink altered cards out in holders old and new simply due to the variable ratio schedule. BUT, Such high end cards should be given to a couple of specialized graders that are given ample time to review regardless of turn times.

I am amazed at how much focus is being made on the inks dots when the biggest tell its altered is blatant. Never in the history of ever did these cards come from the factory clean shaved. The paper cutting guillotine machines didn't allow for it to occur. The real collectors know this and so do all the graders familiar with this time frame of cards. Yes some are prettier than others but all have fiber pull and none will ever come off razor sharp without the factory rolled edge. The card has been altered for a while and its a shame it made it back this far.
That viewable difference is what I'd expect. I believe it's possible to do it better, so it's less obvious.

All TPGs need to reverse the in house time tiered pricing, and review the card as long as it takes to get it right nearly every time.

That rolled edge is the key for sure. A newly sharpened blade won't have much roll, and one side of the cut rolls a bit more than the other. And that roll survives a ton of abuse, I have cards that are P-F and it's still easy to spot.