NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-12-2019, 09:42 AM
Anson

Default Changing collecting habits or thinking about getting out altogether?

Yes, we've seen bad actors and scandals before. The recent issues appear to be much more widespread and difficult to assess the overall impact. I'm curious whether anyone has considered changing their collecting habits or have considered getting out altogether? I know most of us don't look at our collections as "assets" or "investments". However, we also are willing to pay high prices to have nice examples of the cards we collect and don't want to see their value erode due to this kind of nonsense.

I am definitely considering changes to what I buy, who I buy from, and which TPG (if any) I plan to use. While it doesn't appear any of my cards have been identified on any of the known lists, and I haven't been able to spot any alterations of my cars, there are no guarantees. The value or cost of replacement for everything we own is now in question. Population reports (including numbers and distribution of quality) are even further clouded, if not worthless.

Yes, I'm toyed around with the idea of not buying online anymore, only buying from certain auction houses, or even holding on to what I have and getting out altogether.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:43 AM
Peter Spaeth

I changed my habits years ago because I knew then what was going on. I definitely recommend making changes if you are just buying indiscriminately.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:02 AM
Rob

I buy very few cards. Every time I get the itch, I go on ebay and remind myself how many illegal reprints there are...and how realistic they have become...and lose interest.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:09 AM
Barry Sloate

Nothing wrong with continuing to collect, but use a little caution and common sense when buying. No reason to let the card doctors control the narrative.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:17 AM
GaryPassamonte

I changed my collecting focus in 1995. I never developed a grading addiction to kick.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:18 AM
pete ullman

Like peter...I changed my collecting habits years ago and very rarely do I spend significant money on cards.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:19 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

This all just makes me feel even better about buying raw T206s off our B/S/T from guys like Scott.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2019, 10:27 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Buy when the panic hits full force.....should be plenty of deals or during the next US recession

Mayor Of Chicago “Never Let a Good Crisis Go To Waste”
Rahm Emmanuel
Old 06-12-2019, 10:37 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

As I do work for museums, I quit collecting a while ago, except for little trinkets and items that will look good on my wall.

Believe it or not, I've owned perhaps 7 graded cards in my life, and have never submitted a card for grading. I used to buy expensive cards, but they were graded and before the "everything has to be graded" phase. Though I did have game used and autographs with LOAs.

Last edited by drcy; 06-12-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:58 AM

I don't have to change collecting habits.

I have never seen a single PSA 10 I wished to own.

But I see a beater and say - "Ahhh, there's the card I want!"

Why? Money. Nope.

Because the beaters were played with, admired and loved. They were actually used. They are part of the history of the country. They are real.

A PSA 10 can never accomplish that.

I'm very happy to leave the PSA 10s (and the associated profits) to the card trimmers, shillers and hucksters - as long as they agree not to venture into my beater space. I think we have gotten alone pretty well to date.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:08 AM

I'm more likely to get an SGC 10 than a PSA 10, so I am clearly not the target audience for PWCC, Moser, et al. That being said, this scandal has taken some of the wind out of the hobby for me.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:45 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

This is the first Cobb I ever got and the most recent Wagner I picked up. I think that pretty much answer the question on what I have collected in the past and what I will continue to collect going forward.

E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 06-12-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
That being said, this scandal has taken some of the wind out of the hobby for me.
Agreed Judson. This hobby give me just as much pause as it does enjoyment these days. I'm not going to completely stop but I think I'll slow down a bit.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:10 PM
C@rl P@rk

The scandal has got me putting my vintage collection on hold and I have begun hoarding Alec Bohm cards. I wish I was kidding.

Last edited by KingFisk; 06-12-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:55 PM
Joshua

As in the markets, I think the initial reaction would be overreaction, and perhaps some reflexive momentum down in general prices. But I do believe we will recover longer term and we would look back and regret not buying during the bargain period we are about to suffer.

Over the last year I narrowed my want list as I refocused my collection on certain players. So if I find the card I want, and get a good deal on it, I'm staying the course...
Old 06-12-2019, 12:56 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanip View Post
As in the markets, I think the initial reaction would be overreaction, and perhaps some reflexive momentum down in general prices. But I do believe we will recover longer term and we would look back and regret not buying during the bargain period we are about to suffer.

Over the last year I narrowed my want list as I refocused my collection on certain players. So if I find the card I want, and get a good deal on it, I'm staying the course...
Second Sentence I believe to be 100% true
Old 06-12-2019, 01:45 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
I buy very few cards. Every time I get the itch, I go on ebay and remind myself how many illegal reprints there are...and how realistic they have become...and lose interest.
I haven’t seen many convincing outright fakes of pre war cards. Modern is a different story though.

As for changing buying habits. I don’t see it effecting me at all really. I never bought high grade vintage for the most part. Maybe a little more leery of modern but don’t buy too much of that anyway compared to vintage.

May possibly buy more if prices were more drop, time will tell. However I think higher grade will see more effect which I don’t do anyway with pre war.

Last edited by yanksfan09; 06-14-2019 at 05:51 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:51 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

It will be interesting to see if really great looking authentic slabbed altered cards see a bump in value. People might say why spend 10x on a graded on of equal eye appeal that may be altered anyways.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:54 PM
Bob Davies

I hope I'm not out forever, but this has changed how I look at my collection and collection habits.

http://net54baseball.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=450

Frankly I'm disgusted by the whole thing. Not sure where I'm going next, TBH.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:12 PM

Default Young kids

My 12 yr. old son has this popular video basketball game where you collect "cards" of current and historical greats. You then assemble a team and play games to win and gain points to buy better cards. There is a trading component of cards in hopes to improve your team. I thought how cool, collect cards like we did when kids, but also get to truly play games with them - the added new era video game angle.

Anyways, my son is getting to know players past and present, learning about them, playing with them. Has got me into now collecting current NBA cards ungraded in that $1. - $20. range. Fun!
Old 06-12-2019, 02:25 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
My 12 yr. old son has this popular video basketball game where you collect "cards" of current and historical greats. You then assemble a team and play games to win and gain points to buy better cards. There is a trading component of cards in hopes to improve your team. I thought how cool, collect cards like we did when kids, but also get to truly play games with them - the added new era video game angle.

Anyways, my son is getting to know players past and present, learning about them, playing with them. Has got me into now collecting current NBA cards ungraded in that $1. - $20. range. Fun!
That’s what it’s all about!
Old 06-12-2019, 04:11 PM
Chuck Tapia

I'm not selling but I will not buy another card either until people are in JAIL.
I always try to stand for something and I'm not buying another THING PERIOD I have a very bad taste in my mouth for Brent Mastro's relationship with known card trimmers and PSA. The triangle of Jackmehoffs. It really isn't funny or fun anymore.

I'll continue to rail on them both of course as it's so rightfully earned by all of them. You guys don't have to worry

I'll also continue to collect Ben Franklin's instead and add to my castle wall. That's fun. I'll keep my eye out for all the fake bills that try to filter down.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 06-12-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Most wil stay in the hobby and some (probably a very few) will leave.

I like what has been said about just being smarter with purchases. Maybe eyeing those really high grade cards will get a bit more scrutiny by all of us. That is a good thing. My highest grade collected is around a 7 and I prefer eye appeal over technical TPG grade. To each their own, do what makes ya' happy.

Last edited by Leon; 06-13-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:23 PM
Taylor Hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisk View Post
The scandal has got me putting my vintage collection on hold and I have begun hoarding Alec Bohm cards. I wish I was kidding.
This is the boat I am in... All my vintage purchases are turning into Jarred Kelenic cards. and some Heritage Trouts.

Last edited by T_Hamilton; 06-13-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:28 PM
Chris Counts

I suspect it's the investors and not the collectors who will cut their losses and get out. Aside from all this monkey business about graders and auction houses, I find the hobby more interesting each day. I made the decision about 15 years ago to avoid high graded slabbed cards because I didn't trust the industry. I recall there was a lot of talk back then on Net54 about the many trimmed cards that made it into high grade holders. Now, I simply collect cards that are authentic and look presentable. I look for cards that have low technical grades, have bad backs or are trimmed. I prefer SGC to PSA because it's way easier to bust them out their slabs, and display them in albums.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:52 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

I have a PSA/DNA set that I will continue working on, but all my sets will be raw from now on.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:11 PM

I am very interested in assisting/lending a hand to anyone with rare Cobbs, wagners, or rare t206 backs who wants to get out of the hobby. Happy to buy you out so you can start the next chapter of your collecting life.

I am long on cardboard, through good times and bad. Forward! Just be smart
Old 06-13-2019, 09:59 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I am very interested in assisting/lending a hand to anyone with rare Cobbs, wagners, or rare t206 backs who wants to get out of the hobby. Happy to buy you out so you can start the next chapter of your collecting life.

I've take a bit of a leave of absence from collecting for the purpose of acquiring a winter home in Florida--accomplished!--and a suitable pleasure vehicle to leave down there. As it is just intended to be a temporary lull in the action, I think I'll keep my own tough Cobbs and Wagners!

I will hate to miss Fred's Post Canadian Cereal meeting/dinner at the National, though. Would have liked to have been there! Great, challenging set.

With high regard,

Larry
Old 06-13-2019, 10:21 PM
Kenny Cole

I won't quit because I've been doing it too long, but I am certainly revising some of my collecting habits. To the extent that I am aware who they are, I will not buy from fraudsters, even when they have a card I really want.

You really have to draw the line somewhere. That will likely slow me down a lot, but that's OK too. I would rather by from someone like Al (LOTG), Brian (REA), or Lee (Sterling), each of whom I absolutely trust, than ever throw money at a place like PWCC. I can live with slow. I can't do what I perceive as fraud.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

As Baloo the Bear sings,

When you find out you can live without it
And go along not thinkin' about it

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:36 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Just accelerating a trend i was already on: replacing the graded cards with raw instead.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-13-2019, 11:07 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post

I was thinking the same thing. I will add Jackson, Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, and since people seem especially worried about them 48 Robinsons to the list.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:20 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I will add Jackson, Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, and since people seem especially worried about them 48 Robinsons to the list.
I'm sure you be able to find them from PWCC
Old 06-14-2019, 04:24 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
I'm more likely to get an SGC 10 than a PSA 10, so I am clearly not the target audience for PWCC, Moser, et al. That being said, this scandal has taken some of the wind out of the hobby for me.
This.
Successful transactions with: polakoff, Paul S, xplainer, marvymelvin, lordstan, Thromdog, pow323, Golfcollector, OldJudge, frankbmd, kamikidEFFL, jcc6252, sam majors, t206fix, brian29575, bbsports, jfkheat
Old 06-14-2019, 05:50 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I have stopped buying for my personal collection, and will sell most of it through COMC. This includes: 200 cards in the Mantle master set, half the 1952 Topps set, 100 1952 Topps autos, a bunch of Bobby Jones, and 95% of the 1959 Fleer Ted William's set. Haven't decided if I will sell or keep the #1 T51 colleges master set.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:04 AM
Robert Kasenter

Default boycott

I am going to draw the line and refuse to buy the altered t206 Gretzky Wagner card. : )
Old 06-14-2019, 06:12 AM
John D.

I have never gone for high grade cards. For me it is more about collecting that investing, though I still tell my wife that she will have something when I am gone. I have kept my pre-war cards to mostly 3's and 4's, my 50's to 5's and the 60's to 6's. I am not looking for super high grade. I want cards that someone loved and "used" not ones that were just squirreled away for 75+ years. I like my CJ's with some caramel stains on them. I am not going to ever stop collecting at this point. I have made all big purchases at either the Philly or White Plains shows or from LOTG or Sterling and from trusted people on this board. I am actually hoping that this gets back to being a hobby and not like a business. I get enough of that in my daily life.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:12 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
On the BO list of outed and potentially bad cards there are more 48 Leaf Jackies than anything else. Be careful.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:52 AM
Arnie

I am continuing to buy, but if I see basically a similar card in PSA and SGC and its priced similar, I am more into buying the SGC card now.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:51 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Not sure that much of the evolution of my collecting has to do with PWCC or other scandals at the higher end of things as I rarely buy cards of the sort that seem to draw the attention of the cheaters. I think I bought exactly one PSA 9 or 10 in the last two years and it was an impulse buy at the National last year. It may have more to do with a desire to have my cards in albums I can comfortably flip through at leisure. I built up a considerable slabbed collection, mostly with my own submissions, before realizing that slabs are too much work to store and look through. So I'd been replacing slabs with raw cards for most postwar mainstream issues over the last two years anyway.

As I get more time in the hobby under my belt I find that I'm also drawn more to rare issues than to the so-called condition rarities. Something that has a handful of known examples in any grade, yes please! Something that has 8,000 slabbed examples, not so much. And 8-9-10, who gives a damn? I would rather have a really nice looking card with a technical flaw like a wrinkle. The TPG thing is really just a useful tool for resale items as far as I am concerned because in eBay sales it seems to be needed to realize top dollar.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-14-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
I've take a bit of a leave of absence from collecting for the purpose of acquiring a winter home in Florida--accomplished!--and a suitable pleasure vehicle to leave down there. As it is just intended to be a temporary lull in the action, I think I'll keep my own tough Cobbs and Wagners!

I will hate to miss Fred's Post Canadian Cereal meeting/dinner at the National, though. Would have liked to have been there! Great, challenging set.

With high regard,

Larry
Agree. I fund most of my collecting by selling off cards that I no longer want to buy "better cards," downsizing the collection while maintaining its value. I will be holding onto my Wagners, Cobbs and key RCs like the 49 Leaf Jackie Robinson and slowing way down to see how this all shakes out. I have no interest in trading up my "real" cards for altered ones with large numbers on the slabs.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:10 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
On the BO list of outed and potentially bad cards there are more 48 Leaf Jackies than anything else. Be careful.
I don't really expect my inbox to be flooded with net54 members looking to dump pwcc or 48 Robinson purchases. And yes I would verify what I could and take precautions as necessary as I try to do with any purchase. But the offer is genuine if anyone wants out of those cards.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:13 PM
Arnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
It may have more to do with a desire to have my cards in albums I can comfortably flip through at leisure. I built up a considerable slabbed collection, mostly with my own submissions, before realizing that slabs are too much work to store and look through. So I'd been replacing slabs with raw cards for most postwar mainstream issues over the last two years anyway.
I feel the same way about loving cards in albums and not in slabs. I used to break open the slabs, but now do something different. I make a lifesize copy of the card in its slab on my printer/copier/scanner on top quality photo paper, and then i carefully cut out the card. I put this cutout card into the sheet in my album where the card should be. It looks great, and its an actual copy of my card, flaws and all, as opposed to a reprint which I would have nothing to do with, I hate reprints. This works great on all size cards, I have done everything from tobacco cards thru a big Butterfinger, and looks super whether its a black and white card or a color one. Its totally realistic, you can hardly tell a good copy from a real card in a plastic sheet.

Last edited by dabigyankeeman; 06-14-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:53 PM
Ben North

I changed from collecting insane amounts of Billy Ripken(The original F*ck Face) to this small hoard of new F*ck Face cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Net54card.jpg (80.8 KB, 360 views)
Old 06-14-2019, 04:18 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Somebody should submit one of those to PSA, to be graded and slabbed.

Even though they won’t slab it, it would be cool just to submit it. Perhaps discreetly buried within a stack of legit cards.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:32 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

Even though they won’t slab it, it would be cool just to submit it. Perhaps discreetly buried within a stack of legit cards.
I will mail you one if you want to do it. Do they still slab custom cards, I know they did for a while.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:22 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigyankeeman View Post
I feel the same way about loving cards in albums and not in slabs. I used to break open the slabs, but now do something different. I make a lifesize copy of the card in its slab on my printer/copier/scanner on top quality photo paper, and then i carefully cut out the card. I put this cutout card into the sheet in my album where the card should be. It looks great, and its an actual copy of my card, flaws and all, as opposed to a reprint which I would have nothing to do with, I hate reprints. This works great on all size cards, I have done everything from tobacco cards thru a big Butterfinger, and looks super whether its a black and white card or a color one. Its totally realistic, you can hardly tell a good copy from a real card in a plastic sheet.
I do that too, except I print it with the slab flip included.

Or not...
Old 06-15-2019, 12:47 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

Looks like someone might have done a super fast submission. It even has a PWCC HE sticker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg net54cardF.jpg (69.9 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg net54cardFlip.jpg (70.8 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg net54cardB.jpg (73.9 KB, 285 views)
Old 06-15-2019, 02:15 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Nobody or anything will rob me of my joy to collect.

I am a mid-grade collector, and in prewar I am a solid 1 or 2 grade. Graded or ungraded, if I like the card I'll buy it.

My budget is around 1k per year, if that. I am hardly the market or high end collector that has been targeted by the dishonest parties.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:00 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

I really would like to buy a few of those cards. What's the deal?