NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-11-2019, 09:09 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

What's really going to upset the apple cart is when we find out the Black Swamp Find was just Gary Moser's master's thesis project.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:32 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulmag View Post
Now isn't that a thought! Alteration becomes essentially impossible to detect causing the supply of high grade vintage cards to soar, and their prices to fall. Or....technology comes to the rescue and such alteration becomes detectable. Under that scenario two things happen, provided that in order to hold value such cards need to be re slabbed under the newer method: 1. The supply of unaltered high grade vintage cards plummet and the true unaltered ones hold or rise in value. 2. The prices of altered ones (the majority) plummet in value.
So I am back to my original premise: why isn't any of this information built into the price of Mint cards? If I'm a buyer and I know anything about what is going on with high grade cards, I'm moving forward with caution. But the current market plows ahead like a freight train.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:36 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
So I am back to my original premise: why isn't any of this information built into the price of Mint cards? If I'm a buyer and I know anything about what is going on with high grade cards, I'm moving forward with caution. But the current market plows ahead like a freight train.
How much of this is understood outside this Board? And even within this Board, there is disagreement how widespread the problem is. I've expressed my opinion. I've never said it reflects the majority view.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:05 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Just concerning the margins of error and subjectivity and flip of the coin of grades, I never understood it.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:13 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
How much of this is understood outside this Board? And even within this Board, there is disagreement how widespread the problem is. I've expressed my opinion. I've never said it reflects the majority view.
I think it's known beyond just this board. And collectors generally interact and talk about the hobby. Probably not everyone knows, but in no way is this some Net54 secret.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Barry, I am not sure the market is plowing ahead. Last night, a very pretty PSA 8, t206 Wajo pitching closed for under $19k - by recent comps, that should have been a $30k+ card. The e98 cobb psa 9 went “cheap” in my opinion, as did the t206 O’Hara polar bear PSA 5, the e105 Wagner PSA 5, the higher grades Lajoies (portrait and throwing), among other cards I was watching with interest. It seems the two cards that did not go cheap that I was watching, were the only two I bid on - the t206 brown Lenox and the t215-1. I think some prices from last night’s auction reflected the fear. Is that short lived? Probably. But I think many cards, especially mid-high grades that I was watching, went a bit cheap
Old 06-11-2019, 11:32 AM
Barry Sloate

That's interesting Ryan, but of course you need a larger sample to see if this is having any impact. I would have to think some collectors are being cautious, but agree that it might be short lived.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:06 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I’m not a graded card guy, so I’m not talking my book, but I see this having no long term negative impact on PSA. I think they will make some improvements and come out of the current situation stronger than they were. I also don’t think there will be a new grading company entering the field. Unless a new company could compete registry wise, it would be foolish to start. The registry drives everything.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
What's really going to upset the apple cart is when we find out the Black Swamp Find was just Gary Moser's master's thesis project.
I have to say ... the first second I heard about this find ... my immediate response was ... why on Earth would anyone believe this claim? I lived in Ohio. I've been in farm houses there. The change in humidity from summer to winter alone should have made folks skeptical.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:36 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Barry, I am not sure the market is plowing ahead. Last night, a very pretty PSA 8, t206 Wajo pitching closed for under $19k - by recent comps, that should have been a $30k+ card. The e98 cobb psa 9 went “cheap” in my opinion, as did the t206 O’Hara polar bear PSA 5, the e105 Wagner PSA 5, the higher grades Lajoies (portrait and throwing), among other cards I was watching with interest. It seems the two cards that did not go cheap that I was watching, were the only two I bid on - the t206 brown Lenox and the t215-1. I think some prices from last night’s auction reflected the fear. Is that short lived? Probably. But I think many cards, especially mid-high grades that I was watching, went a bit cheap
Everything I was watching, either because I'm thinking about buying, selling, or just curious, has been plowing ahead. Jackson, Ruth, Cobb, Gehrig, and Mantle all seem strong. 93 Jeter and Trout rookies seem to have gone up by 3-4x in the last couple of years. 48 Robinsons have also been strong.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
A truly outstanding post.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:51 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I assume nearly all of the folks pouring big money into baseball cards are people (men, age 40-70) who are set for life financially (or think they are) and the $100,000 or $500,000 they are spending on a card isn't that huge of a deal all things considered. And they decide for some reason it would be really really cool to own a rare Babe Ruth card. They are going to get a rare Babe Ruth baseball card. It's not like there is some alternative place they can go to get a Babe Ruth card. So this is the sandbox they play in. They hold their nose, do a little research, and take a plunge.

If I decided tomorrow that my life would be complete if I owned a '67 red Camaro and I had the money to do it I would buy one. I doubt I'd be deterred by people pissing and and moaning on an Internet chat board. (I might even think it's a wonderful time to buy one because of all the pissing and moaning.)

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-11-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:58 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

If I decided tomorrow that my life would be complete if I owned a '67 red Camaro and I had the money to do it I would buy one. I doubt I'd be deterred by people pissing and and moaning on an Internet chat board. (I might even think it's a wonderful time to buy one because of all the pissing and moaning.)
You wouldn't be a little concerned if all that pissing and moaning was discussing the latest FBI counterfeit car sting operation that had just busted a ring manufacturing fake '67 red Camaro's, and that the last 11 sold were fakes?
Old 06-11-2019, 01:23 PM
Barry Sloate

I do agree with Steve that those who don't participate on this chat board probably do look at us as a bunch of whiners and complainers. However, among all that whining you can find a lot of useful information. And I would hate to think that all this talk about altered cards over the last couple of weeks is looked upon by the hobby at large as just a whole lot of nonsense.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:24 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

The vast vast majority of cards in PSA (or SGC) holders are fine. Some doctored cards slipped by and that’s a problem. Hopefully, PSA will figure out a method to solve, or at least minimize the problem. I think one way to reduce this problem going forward is to prosecute the card doctorers. If a few of these scum bags goes to jail then the incentive for their shenanigans will be significantly lessened.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:33 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
You wouldn't be a little concerned if all that pissing and moaning was discussing the latest FBI counterfeit car sting operation that had just busted a ring manufacturing fake '67 red Camaro's, and that the last 11 sold were fakes?
I might or I might not.

[More like some of the '67 Camaros have non original parts and are not identified as such.]

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-11-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:34 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
I do agree with Steve that those who don't participate on this chat board probably do look at us as a bunch of whiners and complainers. However, among all that whining you can find a lot of useful information. And I would hate to think that all this talk about altered cards over the last couple of weeks is looked upon by the hobby at large as just a whole lot of nonsense.
I hope changes come, but watching some high end cards on PWCC last night there didn't seem to be any shortage of interested buyers.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:52 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Folks, I believe that we are missing the elephant in the room here. The problem is not the trimmed/altered cards - after all, what remains is still an authentic card.

The problem is what are we, as a society, going to do about all those Moser trimmings piling up in some landfill? The industrial waste generated by trimming the edges of cards is going to be a huge problem. It's going to end up in the ocean, choking sea lions and filling the stomachs of whales.

We are on the verge of a natural disaster.

1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 06-11-2019, 01:57 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I agree. Don't alert PSA, alert Greenpeace.

Last edited by drcy; 06-11-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:02 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Up until this recent scandal the time to sell has never been better !!
Old 06-11-2019, 02:17 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Folks, I believe that we are missing the elephant in the room here. The problem is not the trimmed/altered cards - after all, what remains is still an authentic card.

The problem is what are we, as a society, going to do about all those Moser trimmings piling up in some landfill? The industrial waste generated by trimming the edges of cards is going to be a huge problem. It's going to end up in the ocean, choking sea lions and filling the stomachs of whales.

But think about all the jobs his waste is creating. You don't want to eliminate jobs do you?
Old 06-11-2019, 07:27 PM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default Relic cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post

This is not what has happened to the trimmings. Topps has struck a deal with PWCC and Moser and they will be issuing Heritage versions of the actual trimmed cards with a piece of the real card trimming. PSA is authenticating the scraps and trimmings as part of the deal, and JSA is verifying that the trimmings match the legendary card doctor's famous scissors.

Please stop spreading silly rumors like the one in the picture above.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:30 PM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
That the vast majority of people - even the "smart" ones with degrees etc. are quite often stupid.
Being well educated in one or more areas doesn't mean someone isn't uneducated or under educated in others - the problem is self realizing this!
Old 06-12-2019, 09:34 PM

Bottom line is - baseball card collectors "hear what they want to hear and disregard the rest"....

Rob M