NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-08-2019, 10:44 PM
David Ribbens

Default Jackie Robinson older brother Mack ~ 1936 Olympic sprinter in German set

Recently purchased a nice lot of 1936 Olympic cards including one showing Jackie Robinson's older brother Mack Robinson. Mack finished 2nd place to Jessie Owens in the 200m race. He is pictured on the second step on the diving board along with 11 USA athletes in Berlin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0943.jpg (15.1 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0944.jpg (13.1 KB, 340 views)
Old 06-09-2019, 11:32 AM

Dankz David!

One of the Greatest "Slow Told Stories" in United States's History...

All eyes were on Jesse!
Than came His Big Brother...
In a Race that took Place in Germany...
In 1936...
In Front of Hitler!

Jus Awesome!!!
A 1 -2 Finish in a Race, Well... Jus Awesome
Old 06-10-2019, 11:04 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

This Reemstma card also exists in color. It is nice that it is one of the large cards from the set.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 06-10-2019, 06:42 PM
Mike Rothstein

Default Who knew?

Thanx for posting David.

Didn't know that Jackie's brother was in the '36 Olympics.

I have a color version of the album but Mack was dissed with respect to pics.

Here's a color card of Jesse finishing the 200m race - Mack is no where in sight even tho he came in 2nd - getting the Silver.

Based on what I just read, Mack qualified by beating out the '32 Olympic gold medalist to make the team.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:34 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone193 View Post
Thanx for posting David.

Didn't know that Jackie's brother was in the '36 Olympics.

I have a color version of the album but Mack was dissed with respect to pics.

Here's a color card of Jesse finishing the 200m race - Mack is no where in sight even tho he came in 2nd - getting the Silver.

Based on what I just read, Mack qualified by beating out the '32 Olympic gold medalist to make the team.

Mack Robinson is not dissed in this photo. This card shows round 1 heat 12 of the 100m dash. It is not the finals of the 200m dash. In heat 12 Owens finished first with a time of 10.3 seconds. Second was Kichizo Sasaki of Japan with a time of 11.0 seconds which qualified him for the second round. Third was José de Almeida of Brazil with a time of 11.1 seconds. He did not advance. The other runners in this heat were Dieudonné Devrindt of Belgium and Austin Cassar-Torreggiani of Malta. The card shows left to right Owens, Sasaki and de Almeida. The only other Brazilian to compete in the 100m was Oswaldo Domingues and he did not get past the first round (heat 9). In the quarter finals Owens did run against a Japanese athlete, Takayoshi Yoshioka, in heat two, but since no Brazilian advanced past the first round it could not be the quarter finals.

Owens did not run against any other Brazilians. José de Almeida did compete in the 200m, but he ran in heat 1 and did not advance. Owens ran in heat 3.

Additionally, Mack did not beat the 1932 gold medalist in the 200m to make the team. Eddie Tolan, won the gold medal in the 100m and 200m at the 1932 Olympics. By March, 1935 Tolan was competing as a professional when he won the 75yd, 100yd and 220yd events at the World Professional Sprint Championships in Melbourne, Australia. At the 1936 Olympic Track and field trials held at Randall's Island in New York the placings in the 200m were as follows:

1. Jesse Owens
2. Mack Robinson
3. Bob Packard
4. Ralph Metcalfe
5. Foy Draper
6. Harvey Wallender
7. Jack Weiershauser

The first 3 finishers competed in the 200m in Berlin. Packard made it to the quarter finals. Metcalfe won a silver and bronze (100m, 200m) at the 1932 Olympics. He won a silver and gold (100m, 4x100m relay) at the 1936 games. Foy Draper won a gold in the 4x100m relay in Berlin.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 06-11-2019 at 03:22 PM. Reason: To clarify third sentence.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:09 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Mack Robinson is not dissed in this photo. This card shows round 1 heat 12 of the 100m dash. It is not the finals. In heat 12 Owens finished first with a time of 10.3 seconds. Second was Kichizo Sasaki of Japan with a time of 11.0 seconds which qualified him for the second round. Third was José de Almeida of Brazil with a time of 11.1 seconds. He did not advance. The other runners in this heat were Dieudonné Devrindt of Belgium and Austin Cassar-Torreggiani of Malta. The card shows left to right Owens, Sasaki and de Almeida. The only other Brazilian to compete in the 100m was Oswaldo Domingues and he did not get past the first round (heat 9). In the quarter finals Owens did run against a Japanese athlete, Takayoshi Yoshioka, in heat two, but since no Brazilian advanced past the first round it could not be the quarter finals.

Owens did not run against any other Brazilians. José de Almeida did compete in the 200m, but he ran in heat 1 and did not advance. Owens ran in heat 3.

Additionally, Mack did not beat the 1932 gold medalist in the 200m to make the team. Eddie Tolan, won the gold medal in the 100m and 200m at the 1932 Olympics. By March, 1935 Tolan was competing as a professional when he won the 75yd, 100yd and 220yd events at the World Professional Sprint Championships in Melbourne, Australia. At the 1936 Olympic Track and field trials held at Randall's Island in New York the placings in the 200m were as follows:

1. Jesse Owens
2. Mack Robinson
3. Bob Packard
4. Ralph Metcalfe
5. Foy Draper
6. Harvey Wallender
7. Jack Weiershauser

The first 3 finishers competed in the 200m in Berlin. Packard made it to the quarter finals. Metcalfe won a silver and bronze (100m, 200m) at the 1932 Olympics. He won a silver and gold (100m, 4x100m relay) at the 1936 games. Foy Draper won a gold in the 4x100m relay in Berlin.
Thanks for stating the actual facts and setting the record straight.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:01 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
Glad to do it Brent. Reemtsma Cigarettenfabriken created these cards with the intent that they would be glued into the albums. As such the information on the back was not always accurate. They did Olympic albums for 1924, 1928, 1932 and 1936. The first three were single volumes. The 1936 had two volumes, Band 1 and Band 2. Jack Shea, the American double gold medalist in speedskating at the 1932 Olympics is misidentified on the back of a card that shows him. I have an original press photo that is the same image as the card which gives the correct identity.

Life member International Society of Olympic Historians.

Last edited by Michael B; 06-11-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:19 PM
Mike Rothstein

Default Thanx for the info

Quote:
Mack Robinson is not dissed in this photo. This card shows round 1 heat 12 of the 100m dash. It is not the finals
Thanx for the information.

Would never have known this from the album.

Here's the article where I got the info on his qualification:

Last edited by stone193; 06-11-2019 at 02:32 PM. Reason: add scans
Old 06-11-2019, 02:40 PM
Mike Rothstein

Default 100 or 200

Quote:
This card shows round 1 heat 12 of the 100m dash.
Did you mean 200m dash for this card?
Old 06-11-2019, 03:21 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Did you mean 200m dash for this card?
No, 100 meters. There were twelve heats in round 1 of the 100m dash. There were only 8 heats in round 1 of the 200m dash. When I wrote my reply the third sentence should have said "It is not the finals of the 200m" rather than "It is not the finals". I could see where that may cause confusion. I just corrected that sentence in my original reply.

Last edited by Michael B; 06-11-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:10 PM
Mike Rothstein

Default Thanx

Thanx for the reply Michael.

I have no knowledge of olympics.

When I saw the thread, it reminded me I had this album that I picked up in a lot of WS programs. Had no idea Robinson had a brother in the olympics.

The only card of the 200m race in my album is the one I posted.

The only info I knew was what was on my scan regarding the trials and Mack.

Appreciate the information.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:37 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Thanx for the reply Michael.

I have no knowledge of olympics.

When I saw the thread, it reminded me I had this album that I picked up in a lot of WS programs. Had no idea Robinson had a brother in the olympics.

The only card of the 200m race in my album is the one I posted.

The only info I knew was what was on my scan regarding the trials and Mack.

Appreciate the information.
The card you show is from the Mühlen Franck set. Mühlen Franck Kaffee issued these cards. These were a more standard card size and printed on regular cardstock unlike the Reemstma aka Sammelwerk set which was printed on thin paper. The Franck's were probably the first true Olympic only card set and they covered the Winter Olympics in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and the Summer Olympics in Berlin. The set was purportedly 200 cards though no official checklist was issued. The first Olympic basketball card was in this set. It shows an American player (William Wheatley?) making a layup. There are three Jesse Owens' cards in the set - 100m, long jump and the card you have for the 200m. There is also a card of the silver medal winning Canadian Ice Hockey team and at least two cards showing Adolph Hitler.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:50 PM
Mike Rothstein

Default Outdoor basketball

Wow Michael - I didn't see this card when running thru them!

Outdoor basketball!

I looked up the '36 roster but they don't include jersey numbers.

And, on one web, I found a list of who used what numbers in the olympics - unfortunately #12 doesn't go all the way to 1936.

Thanx for all the info.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:42 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Wow Michael - I didn't see this card when running thru them!

Outdoor basketball!

I looked up the '36 roster but they don't include jersey numbers.

And, on one web, I found a list of who used what numbers in the olympics - unfortunately #12 doesn't go all the way to 1936.

Thanx for all the info.

The U.S team at the Olympics was different then it is now. There was an Olympic qualifying tournament. Universal Pictures won, McPherson Oilers finished second and the University of Washington finished third. As the winners, Universal was able to place 7 players on the 14 man roster - Duane Swanson, Carl Knowles, Carl Shy, Sam Balter, Frank Lubin, Art Mollner and Don Piper. McPherson got 6 players - Joe Fortenberry, Jack Ragland, Bill Wheatly, Francis Johnson, Tex Gibbons and Willard Schmidt. The University of Washington got 1 - Ralph Bishop. They decided that the Universal members would get the first 7 numbers and the other players the rest. Additionally, they would alternate games. The first round was a walkover. The second round the Universal players beat Estonia on August 9. They got a bye in the third round. In the quarterfinals McPherson/UWashington players beat the Philippines on August 12. In the semifinals the Universal players beat Mexico August 13. The gold medal game was the McPherson/UWashington players beating Canada August 14. Since the McPherson/UWashington players won the gold medal game they attended the medal ceremony. It appears that only five players were allowed to attend the medal ceremony. Bill Wheatly received the gold medal and laurel wreath on the medal stand. The other players at the ceremony were Jack Ragland, Willard Schmidt, Joe Fortenberry and Ralph Bishop.

All of this information was provided to me in 1998 by Frank Lubin. He wrote a letter to me providing this information and identified all of the players on a photo of the medal ceremony. Lubin is generally considered one of the greatest basketball players before the advent of professional basketball. His parents were born in Lithuania. After the Olympics he would coach the Lithuanian national team (Americans of Lithuanian descent) to the Eurobasket championship in 1937. In 1939 as player/coach of the team they won the championship again. He is considered the grandfather/godfather of Lithuanian basketball. He used the Lithuanian version of his name, Prakas Lubinas, while playing over there.

As noted on the back of the card, this is the game versus the Philippines. As noted above, the McPherson/UWashington players competed in this game as it was the second game played by the U.S.

Last edited by Michael B; 06-13-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:19 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Here's a signed page from the 1937 Pasadena Junior College yearbook.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Robinson, Mack 1937 Pasadena Autograph.jpg (74.8 KB, 178 views)
Old 07-26-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
The card you show is from the Mühlen Franck set. Mühlen Franck Kaffee issued these cards. These were a more standard card size and printed on regular cardstock unlike the Reemstma aka Sammelwerk set which was printed on thin paper. The Franck's were probably the first true Olympic only card set and they covered the Winter Olympics in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and the Summer Olympics in Berlin. The set was purportedly 200 cards though no official checklist was issued. The first Olympic basketball card was in this set. It shows an American player (William Wheatley?) making a layup. There are three Jesse Owens' cards in the set - 100m, long jump and the card you have for the 200m. There is also a card of the silver medal winning Canadian Ice Hockey team and at least two cards showing Adolph Hitler.
I was checking through the threads looking for some help with this set. I purchased a Lot of the Reemtsma (Band II) cards and was surprised to find that they were printed on such thin paper. The other question I had, and I was hoping you could help me with, is are there different sizes for these cards?

I find online that the cards measure about 5" x 7" but the ones I purchased measure about 4 3/4" x 3 1/8"

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
+1
Old 07-29-2020, 08:46 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR JR View Post
I was checking through the threads looking for some help with this set. I purchased a Lot of the Reemtsma (Band II) cards and was surprised to find that they were printed on such thin paper. The other question I had, and I was hoping you could help me with, is are there different sizes for these cards?

I find online that the cards measure about 5" x 7" but the ones I purchased measure about 4 3/4" x 3 1/8"

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Hi,

There were two sizes of inserts for the Olympia books. I do not want to call them cards or photos. They are not cards and I would not equate them with true photographs any more than one I would cut out of a magazine. They were 8 cm x 12 cm and 12 cm x 17 cm and were issued solely to be glued into the books. Remember that these are sized in metric. There were both color and black and white inserts. I do not know how they decided which would be color and which would be black and white and which would be smaller versus larger. I have the 1932 book handy. Babe Didrikson was on 3 small inserts and one large all black and white. Ellen Braumüller, German gold medalist in javelin is large and in color as is Lillian Copeland, American gold medalist in discus. All of the medalists is decathlon have small individual color inserts and are on a large color one in the medal ceremony. At one time I also had probably a complete set of unmounted cards from 1936 Band 1 & 2 (Volume 1 in 1936 was the winter games, Volume 2 was the summer games). I did notice that any insert that featured 'der Neger', German for 'the Negro', appears to be in black and white, though Edward Gordon winner of the long jump in 1932 got a large card.

The thinking behind these was that you would acquire the book then purchase a bilder-gruppe (photo group) for that book. The envelope that contained inserts listed the numbers on the outside so you knew which ones were included as they were not consecutive. You needed to acquire all of the envelopes to complete the set. Since Reemstma also did other subject books the envelopes were numbered. For instance 1936 Olympia Band 1 had bilder-gruppe(s) 53 through 56. Envelope 55 had the large inserts, the remainder were small. There were 50 in each small envelope and 25 in the large for 175 inserts for that book. The envelopes were also identified on the outside with 'Die bilder der Sammlung "Olympia 1936 Band 1 (or 2) - The images of the collection Olympia 1936 Band 1. I know there were 175 inserts in the 1936 Band 1 (winter). I believe there were 200 inserts for Band 2. You can actually find people from Germany selling complete unmounted sets for Band 1 and Band 2 in their original envelopes. I even recall seeing someone selling the complete group for both Bands for 1936 in the original mailing box. They should not be that expensive. In my opinion the people trying to get $5 and up for the individual inserts or over $30 dollars for a complete volume is blowing smoke out of there rectum. They are not rare and are not that valuable. I will say they are nice to reproduce. I made 8x10 photos of the one showing Jack Shea and had him sign them back in the late 1990s. I also made photographs of others to go with autographs I was selling.

I hope this answers your questions.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:25 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I was re-reading the thread to see if I made any silly mistakes in my answers. Fortunately no. The group image in the original post lists Johnson, Peacock and Robinson on the back. I am not sure how accurate the information is. Eulace Peacock did not make the Olympic team and did not travel to Berlin. The other Blacks on the team other than Owens and Mack Robinson were Dave Albritton, Cornelius Johnson, Ralph Metcalfe, Archie Williams, James LuValle, John Woodruff and Fritz Pollard, son of the football HOFer. Without comparing the faces, I would not positively state it is Mack. As a side note this is a good time to dispel one of the biggest myths about the 1936 Olympics. Hitler DID NOT snub Jesse Owens. On the first full day of the games there were two athletics (track and field) finals - women's javelin and the high jump. The javelin was won by Tilly Fleischer of Germany. The high jump was won by Cornelius Johnson, the pride of Compton Junior College. Hitler greeted Fleischer in his box after her medal ceremony. Johnson finished later in the day and Hitler left before the medal ceremony. The next day he was told, probably by Avery Brundage, president of the American Olympic Committee, that if he did not congratulate every winner he would not congratulate any. And so it went. The myth, which I believe was also perpetuated in the movie is a pile of ... and don't get me started on Marty Glickman.

I just acquired a program from the 1936 U.S. Olympic track trials signed by almost every American medalist from the 1936 games. When I get a chance to scan it I will post in the monthly autograph pickups.

Tilly Fleischer signature from the 1932 Olympics
Fleischer, Tilly (1932).jpg

Cornelius Johnson signature from the 1934 AAU Championships in Milwaukee.
Johnson, Cornelius (1934).jpg

Last edited by Michael B; 07-29-2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:47 AM

[QUOTE=Michael B;2004173]I was re-reading the thread to see if I made any silly mistakes in my answers. Fortunately no. The group image in the original post lists Johnson, Peacock and Robinson on the back. I am not sure how accurate the information is. Eulace Peacock did not make the Olympic team and did not travel to Berlin. The other Blacks on the team other than Owens and Mack Robinson were Dave Albritton, Cornelius Johnson, Ralph Metcalfe, Archie Williams, James LuValle, John Woodruff and Fritz Pollard, son of the football HOFer. Without comparing the faces, I would not positively state it is Mack. As a side note this is a good time to dispel one of the biggest myths about the 1936 Olympics. Hitler DID NOT snub Jesse Owens. On the first full day of the games there were two athletics (track and field) finals - women's javelin and the high jump. The javelin was won by Tilly Fleischer of Germany. The high jump was won by Cornelius Johnson, the pride of Compton Junior College. Hitler greeted Fleischer in his box after her medal ceremony. Johnson finished later in the day and Hitler left before the medal ceremony. The next day he was told, probably by Avery Brundage, president of the American Olympic Committee, that if he did not congratulate every winner he would not congratulate any. And so it went. The myth, which I believe was also perpetuated in the movie is a pile of ... and don't get me started on Marty Glickman.

I just acquired a program from the 1936 U.S. Olympic track trials signed by almost every American medalist from the 1936 games. When I get a chance to scan it I will post in the monthly autograph pickups.

Thank you for the information!!! Really helps as I acquired a few of these cards recently and I was surprised by the paper they were printed on and how well they've been preserved considering. Regarding the Hitler myth, I was reading an article where Helen Stephens stated that Hitler congratulated her after winning the 100m and essentially groped her and invited her to a private residence (which she declined). Could it be that he was still managing to congratulate certain athletes behind the scenes? I imagine that Hitler could do whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted, despite restrictions put in place by any IOC director.

Nice autos btw!!!! Some truly historic stuff.