NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-10-2019, 09:15 AM
Barry Sloate

Default What I Don't Understand about Baseball Card Economics

I admit I am no more than a novice when it comes to understanding the general economy and the stock market, but here is one thing I have learned: The stock market rises and falls by processing information. When an interest rate cut is anticipated, the market goes up. If a tariff is instituted on China, for example, the market tanks. These are just two examples, but I recognize how information determines how markets move.

But in the baseball card hobby, the market appears to be absolutely tone deaf. We know grading is subjective and inconsistent; we know altered cards consistently get upgraded and slabbed; we know the card we buy as an 8 might have been resubmitted half a dozen times as a 7 until we find a grader willing to bump. Yet despite all this information that should be a giant warning sign to anyone thinking of investing in baseball cards, the money comes pouring in like an avalanche, and world records keep getting set.

We see 7's turn into 8's and increase fivefold in value. We see 8's become 9's and increase tenfold. And we all know it's all smoke and mirrors.

Yet buyers don't seem to be processing this information. They can't throw big money at this garbage fast enough. So what am I missing?
Old 06-10-2019, 09:22 AM
Steve Birmingham

That the vast majority of people - even the "smart" ones with degrees etc. are quite often stupid.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:24 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I admit I am no more than a novice when it comes to understanding the general economy and the stock market, but here is one thing I have learned: The stock market rises and falls by processing information. When an interest rate cut is anticipated, the market goes up. If a tariff is instituted on China, for example, the market tanks. These are just two examples, but I recognize how information determines how markets move.

But in the baseball card hobby, the market appears to be absolutely tone deaf. We know grading is subjective and inconsistent; we know altered cards consistently get upgraded and slabbed; we know the card we buy as an 8 might have been resubmitted half a dozen times as a 7 until we find a grader willing to bump. Yet despite all this information that should be a giant warning sign to anyone thinking of investing in baseball cards, the money comes pouring in like an avalanche, and world records keep getting set.

We see 7's turn into 8's and increase fivefold in value. We see 8's become 9's and increase tenfold. And we all know it's all smoke and mirrors.

Yet buyers don't seem to be processing this information. They can't throw big money at this garbage fast enough. So what am I missing?
Barry you already know the answer.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:32 AM
Barry Sloate

Not completely Peter. I do understand that the collector who pieces together a VG T205 set one card at a time is passionate about what he is doing, and doesn't care about all this background noise about card doctors.

But we know that recently a whole wave of investors has entered the hobby and is putting big money in high grade cards. Those people are looking for one thing only: making a profit. And given the rickety state of the high end hobby, why aren't they fleeing it? If you bought 100 shares of Apple and then discovered that instead of using computer chips in their smartphones they were filling it with jello, you would bail out in a heartbeat. You would have no emotional attachment with the stock. But these high end players seem to sense that nothing is wrong. No, I don't entirely understand it.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:35 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Not completely Peter. I do understand that the collector who pieces together a VG T205 set one card at a time is passionate about what he is doing, and doesn't care about all this background noise about card doctors.

But we know that recently a whole wave of investors has entered the hobby and is putting big money in high grade cards. Those people are looking for one thing only: making a profit. And given the rickety state of the high end hobby, why aren't they fleeing it? If you bought 100 shares of Apple and then discovered that instead of using computer chips in their smartphones they were filling it with jello, you would bail out in a heartbeat. You would have no emotional attachment with the stock. But these high end players seem to sense that nothing is wrong. No, I don't entirely understand it.
Who says it's rickety? Who says the vast majority of these guys even know about the stuff on message boards yet? BTW I disagree with your premise, lots of high rollers also love the cards and being high on the Registry is also an ego thing for them. It's about much more than just money.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-10-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:41 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Why aren’t pricing tanking? Some possible reasons:

1. I doubt most “high-end” collectors are aware of this issue.
2. If tainted cards are being removed from the hobby, PSA populations will theoretically drop. Prices might increase because of this fiasco.
3. It’s too soon. PWCC hasn’t had an auction since this issue hit.

Last edited by jhs5120; 06-10-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:49 AM
Rob

The saying isn't..."There's a genius born every minute".
Old 06-10-2019, 09:49 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:

You’re a very smart man ! I feel 100% the same way...I refuse to invest for the longterm anymore money into this hobby and I can say I’m way happier now ! Blessed and thankful that most is gone prior to this recent scandal.
Zero emotional attachment when investing, all emotional when collection on low end trashed out cards :-)

Last edited by Johnny630; 06-10-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:52 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I'd bet there are a whole lot less "investors" that previously thought or shown through auctions, Ebay and the like. Most likely people who jumped on the bandwagon due to fear of missing out, are now holding the bag of high graded cards. Albeit not necessarily altered, but comp sales were skewed. I'd assume collectors wont mind, and it would be silly to sell now.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-10-2019, 09:55 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I'd bet there are a whole lot less "investors" that previously thought or shown through auctions, Ebay and the like. Most likely people who jumped on the bandwagon due to fear of missing out, are now holding the bag of high graded cards. Albeit not necessarily altered, but comp sales were skewed. I'd assume collectors wont mind, and it would be silly to sell now.
Also agree when blood is in the waters it’s the time to buy not sell
Old 06-10-2019, 09:58 AM
David Peck

PWCC has 8,282 listings running right now.

From what I can tell it appears it is 100% business as usual.

There is no doubt there is something to this recent scandal and even those wearing the most rose collared glasses will see that but it is going to take much more I believe to derail the hobby.

I read someone say that many collectors live by the ignorance is bliss moto and that may very well be true.

There are quite a few people out there that have dealt with infidelity in a relationship. Probably said to their friends if that bit++ ever cheats on me she is gone. It happens and just a few months later they are explaining to their friends she made a mistake and we all make mistakes and she is sorry. Humans are very complex that is for sure.

I watched the entire Brent interview. He made it out to be like conservation was common knowledge and everyone knows it. Many of the examples we see popping up fit his description and have simply been improved. I think there is a very real chance that many of these cards will be reviewed by PSA and they will deem them to be good because they are grading the card in front of them not the card that used to exist. Brent also indicated he was going to bring in an expert and offer this as a service and if they alter cards where there is no discernible evidence upon inspection this crisis of confidence could easily subside. I don't think all parties will be happy but the market will move forward.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:00 AM
Barry Sloate

So if these high rollers who don't know about this message board found out about it, would they bail out? And I think this issue will spread much further than just Net54. I think this is pretty big news for the hobby.

and to Peter- sure some of these people love what they buy. But they don't want to feel that they are being ripped off. You can be passionate about far less expensive cards too.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:02 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
So if these high rollers who don't know about this message board found out about it, would they bail out? And I think this issue will spread much further than just Net54. I think this is pretty big news for the hobby.

and to Peter- sure some of these people love what they buy. But they don't want to feel that they are being ripped off. You can be passionate about far less expensive cards too.
I expect more significant press coverage soon. A couple of days maybe. We'll see.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:02 AM
Barry Sloate

David- I think PSA will deem most of these cards good after review for a very obvious reason.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:03 AM
Scott Russell

The market is so easily manipulated that there's very little disincentive to a deep pocket investor with, shall we say, moral flexibility.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-10-2019, 10:05 AM
Mike Ryan

In light of all the recent happenings in the hobby I still want to further my collection. Maybe at the National this year I will be able to find something.

The large AH's with their BPs, taxes and high shipping costs are drawn out affairs. Too slow for me. Some times 2 to 3 weeks before shipping. I don't understand. Why so long?
The straight Ebay auctions are usually shilled. Why don't sellers start the listings with the minimum they are willing to take? I don't understand. Why shill?
The Ebay BINS are usually 50 to 300 percent overpriced. I rarely find a card I can use at a reasonable price. I don't understand. Why the "Museum" concept?

So Chicago here I come.

Last edited by leaflover; 06-10-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:12 AM
David Peck

Quote:
David- I think PSA will deem most of these cards good after review for a very obvious reason.
I understand what you are getting at.

That said I don't think it will change going forward because they are grading the card in front of them. I do know they are scanning all images of cards sent at the quicker turn around times so perhaps this deters folks but I am not so sure if now this will be an option that Brent offers to clients.

I am more inclined to think the market "matures" and just has to deal with the facts.

I am not really a cynic by nature but does anyone really think that a card that sat inside with cracker jacks or tobacco was ever 100% clean? I don't. I assume they all have had some stain removal of some kind. I might be wrong but this has always been my belief.

Last edited by Dpeck100; 06-10-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:20 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
I understand what you are getting at.

That said I don't think it will change going forward because they are grading the card in front of them. I do know they are scanning all images of cards sent at the quicker turn around times so perhaps this deters folks but I am not so sure if now this will be an option that Brent offers to clients.

I am more inclined to think the market "matures" and just has to deal with the facts.

I am not really a cynic by nature but does anyone really think that a card that sat inside with cracker jacks or tobacco was ever 100% clean? I don't. I assume they all have had some stain removal of some kind. I might be wrong but this has always been my belief.
Or had razor sharp corners.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:26 AM
Barry Sloate

Yes David, any one hundred year old baseball card with pure white borders gives me pause. They are generally made with cheap paper, and paper tones over time.

But I want to get back to the idea of processing information. If I am thinking of buying a card in PSA 10, I really have to consider that the card may have been bumped from a 9 holder, or it may have had a slight alteration. I just don't know. As such, while I might deem it to still be worth a premium over a 9, and cannot see any way it could reasonably worth ten times that. Ask the fellow who just purchased the 52B Musial in a PSA 10 how he is feeling right now. Again, I don't think the information that is out there is being calculated into purchases.

I understand the idea that people who pay a lot of money to get a 10 are willing to do so because they want to own the best. But in so many instances they are not getting a 10. And nobody likes to feel he was ripped off. Again, I know some disagree but I find all of this unfathomable. I guess to each his own.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:30 AM
Justin Burleson

What if you already bought a PSA 10 of a card at $25k that you suspect. The guarantee you bought is based on current market value. If another PSA 10 example of said card is sitting at $15k, do you feel pressure to push the price up, assuming you feel good about the company behind the guarantee?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by jburl; 06-10-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:32 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Yes David, any one hundred year old baseball card with pure white borders gives me pause. They are generally made with cheap paper, and paper tones over time.

But I want to get back to the idea of processing information. If I am thinking of buying a card in PSA 10, I really have to consider that the card may have been bumped from a 9 holder, or it may have had a slight alteration. I just don't know. As such, while I might deem it to still be worth a premium over a 9, and cannot see any way it could reasonably worth ten times that. Ask the fellow who just purchased the 52B Musial in a PSA 10 how he is feeling right now. Again, I don't think the information that is out there is being calculated into purchases.

I understand the idea that people who pay a lot of money to get a 10 are willing to do so because they want to own the best. But in so many instances they are not getting a 10. And nobody likes to feel he was ripped off. Again, I know some disagree but I find all of this unfathomable. I guess to each his own.

I have done it twice. Ego and personal satisfaction are the two primary reasons. Money was a distant third.

One was $2,500 the other was just over $3,000 so not life changing money but it is all relative. Both were 9's bumped to 10's.

I have never looked back with any level of dissatisfaction.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:08 AM
Per.ry Sc-hultz

Quote:

There is no doubt there is something to this recent scandal and even those wearing the most rose collared glasses will see that but it is going to take much more I believe to derail the hobby.

I read someone say that many collectors live by the ignorance is bliss moto and that may very well be true.

There are quite a few people out there that have dealt with infidelity in a relationship. Probably said to their friends if that bit++ ever cheats on me she is gone. It happens and just a few months later they are explaining to their friends she made a mistake and we all make mistakes and she is sorry. Humans are very complex that is for sure.

I watched the entire Brent interview. He made it out to be like conservation was common knowledge and everyone knows it. Many of the examples we see popping up fit his description and have simply been improved. I think there is a very real chance that many of these cards will be reviewed by PSA and they will deem them to be good because they are grading the card in front of them not the card that used to exist. Brent also indicated he was going to bring in an expert and offer this as a service and if they alter cards where there is no discernible evidence upon inspection this crisis of confidence could easily subside. I don't think all parties will be happy but the market will move forward.
Where's this interview, please.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:12 AM
David Peck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f3k5VSqVt4
Old 06-10-2019, 11:14 AM
Per.ry Sc-hultz

Quote:
Woohoo!! Thanks!
Old 06-10-2019, 11:15 AM
Peter Spaeth

It would take a huge sum of money to get me to watch more than 1 minute of that lol.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:18 AM
Per.ry Sc-hultz

Not everyone pays attention to facebook or even card forums. I didn't think much of this till someone said there was an article in wall street journal.
Unless it shows up on national news tv.. I don't know if it causes grading to plummet or not. I've never graded. I'm a junk wax dealer.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:20 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieFingers View Post
Not everyone pays attention to facebook or even card forums. I didn't think much of this till someone said there was an article in wall street journal.
Unless it shows up on national news tv.. I don't know if it causes grading to plummet or not. I've never graded. I'm a junk wax dealer.
If it hits a major newspaper it will spread, I believe.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:21 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It would take a huge sum of money to get me to watch more than 1 minute of that lol.
Peter you might like the comment section. Haha

Not a very well received video that is for sure. 56 up votes and 95 down votes and some blistering opinions expressed.

Either way I think he really feels this way and while I totally understand why many disagree I think much of what he is saying has been happening and will continue to happen.

I have a client that has close to 20 refurbished 50's collector cars. If they can get the cars to look exactly like they did when they were brand new I don't doubt for a minute there are folks out there who can work magic on cards and go undetected.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:24 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Peter you might like the comment section. Haha

Not a very well received video that is for sure. 56 up votes and 95 down votes and some blistering opinions expressed.

Either way I think he really feels this way and while I totally understand why many disagree I think much of what he is saying has been happening and will continue to happen.

I have a client that has close to 20 refurbished 50's collector cars. If they can get the cars to look exactly like they did when they were brand new I don't doubt for a minute there are folks out there who can work magic on cards and go undetected.
I would need a heavy dose of blood pressure meds to watch him for any length of time. Were it someone objective, sure. But not someone who has worked hand in glove with a major card doctor or maybe more than one for over a decade. Pass.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:25 AM
Barry Sloate

Restoration has a different level of acceptance in different hobbies. It is understood that cars will be restored. If you want to drive it and the engine is dead, you replace it. If the chrome is rusted you polish it. Collectors know that.

Coins, stamps, and baseball cards are viewed differently. It is best to leave them in their original condition. You can't compare automobiles and baseball cards with regard to restoration.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:26 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
The Ebay BINS are usually 50 to 300 percent overpriced. I rarely find a card I can use at a reasonable price. I don't understand. Why the "Museum" concept?

So Chicago here I come.
You've clearly never been to a National.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:27 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Restoration has a different level of acceptance in different hobbies. It is understood that cars will be restored. If you want to drive it and the engine is dead, you replace it. If the chrome is rusted you polish it. Collectors know that.

Coins, stamps, and baseball cards are viewed differently. It is best to leave them in their original condition. You can't compare automobiles and baseball cards with regard to restoration.
Dave wasn't equating them I don't think, just pointing out that it can't be that hard to convincingly alter a card.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:28 AM
David Peck

Quote:
I would need a heavy dose of blood pressure meds to watch him for any length of time. Were it someone objective, sure. But not someone who has worked hand in glove with a major card doctor or maybe more than one for over a decade. Pass.
You might break your computer screen or smartphone. I would pass. LOL

I watched it because I wanted to see what he had to say.

Brent is a disrupter and he clearly has one vision and how that plays out remains to be seen. It is very easy to argue he has taken on too much too soon with card indexes, stickers, the vault, investment advice etc. but it is clear he isn't taking advice from anyone and is going for it.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
You might break your computer screen or smartphone. I would pass. LOL

I watched it because I wanted to see what he had to say.

Brent is a disrupter and he clearly has one vision and how that plays out remains to be seen. It is very easy to argue he has taken on too much too soon with card indexes, stickers, the vault, investment advice etc. but it is clear he isn't taking advice from anyone and is going for it.
We'll see where he ends up in light of all that is hitting the fan about the seemingly countless doctored cards he has sold. Knowingly, I might add. An interesting vision, that.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-10-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:31 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Darren Rovell has started tweeting about it so it will slowly start spreading mainstream
Old 06-10-2019, 11:31 AM
David Peck

Quote:

Not condoning just stating I think it is unrealistic to think it isn't possible.

A few years back I got some rust stains off my front porch that were on non polished travertine. I tried everything I had at home but it wouldn't work. I went to a stone store and sure enough they had a cleaner that could do it. You would never know the stains were there. I believe a similar solution has probably been created that can remove stains from cards without any after effects. Not saying it is right just saying I believe it is possible.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:33 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Not condoning just stating I think it is unrealistic to think it isn't possible.

A few years back I got some rust stains off my front porch that were on non polished travertine. I tried everything I had at home but it wouldn't work. I went to a stone store and sure enough they had a cleaner that could do it. You would never know the stains were there. I believe a similar solution has probably been created that can remove stains from cards without any after effects. Not saying it is right just saying I believe it is possible.
Not sure. I think it may be extremely difficult to detect with normal methods but last time we had this discussion, knowledgeable people thought with the right equipment it could be detected and does change the card.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-10-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:36 AM
David Peck

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...or-155-million

Steve Wynn Picasso. I am sure many are aware or have read about this.

Quote from the article

"The restoration seems to be factored into the price," Beverly Schreiber Jacoby, valuation specialist and president of New York-based BSJ Fine Art, told Bloomberg. "If you didn't know that it has been damaged, you would not see it. It's superbly restored."

If a painting can be fixed without leaving a trail I believe cards can too.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:37 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...or-155-million

Steve Wynn Picasso. I am sure many are aware or have read about this.

Quote from the article

"The restoration seems to be factored into the price," Beverly Schreiber Jacoby, valuation specialist and president of New York-based BSJ Fine Art, told Bloomberg. "If you didn't know that it has been damaged, you would not see it. It's superbly restored."

If a painting can be fixed without leaving a trail I believe cards can too.
I would bet the restoration could be detected with the right equipment there. It may not be visible to the eye.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:42 AM
David Peck

Quote:
I would bet the restoration could be detected with the right equipment there. It may not be visible to the eye.
Perhaps.

We then get in to a much larger discussion about whether TPG firms have the wan't or the resources to invest in greater technology. I don't know the answer.

The general point and I believe you will agree is they are pretty good at it and good enough where Brent plans to hire someone to do it for customers.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:44 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Perhaps.

We then get in to a much larger discussion about whether TPG firms have the wan't or the resources to invest in greater technology. I don't know the answer.

The general point and I believe you will agree is they are pretty good at it and good enough where Brent plans to hire someone to do it for customers.
90 percent of Brent's problem is the people he has chosen to take consignments from, IMO.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:48 AM
David Peck

Quote:
90 percent of Brent's problem is the people he has chosen to take consignments from, IMO.
I am only 40 and also have never gotten into art so I don't have any real perspective on that market. Was there a time when art restoration was frowned upon?
Old 06-10-2019, 11:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I am only 40 and also have never gotten into art so I don't have any real perspective on that market. Was there a time when art restoration was frowned upon?
Art is all unique. My understanding is that it's always been acceptable to conserve art, or restore if it's been damaged, as long as it's disclosed if there is a sale. Now if it's done to deceive rather than to genuinely conserve it for generations to come or restore it to enhance people's appreciation of it, then we're into baseball card land.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-10-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:54 AM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Quote:

Good write up David. 100% business as usual is right. I'll add that I believe the market gets stronger from this point. Investors with their assets are expecting profits on the flip. They won't have fire sales at a loss because they got scared. Cards are relatively cheap compared to most investments.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:56 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
Good write up David. 100% business as usual is right. I'll add that I believe the market gets stronger from this point. Investors with their assets are expecting profits on the flip. They won't have fire sales at a loss because they got scared. Cards are relatively cheap compared to most investments.
While I've heard a divergence of opinions, many people agree with this, Martin. I think it will be a little while before we know because I doubt the word has spread very far. But it may not change much if and when it does. I'm not panic selling certainly.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-10-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:03 PM
Rich Klein

Just as an FYI, I ran one of small Plano card shows this weekend. Out of the 125-150 people who were in the room at some point, maybe 3 even mentioned this subject and maybe one really cared. This "IS" an important issue but remember we're a very small percent of the hobby as an whole.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:06 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I think investors invest in how they're invested.

If it is known there are irrational variations in grading, but the prices still go along a line, they are investing in that line.

Investors have been keeping their heads in the sand about certain issues, because everyone else has been keeping their heads in the sand. Most everyone, including registry mebers with a brain must have already realized the irrational variations and margins in error in the number grades on labels, and many people have already been of the belief that many high-grade cards in holders are altered-- I've been of that belief for many years.

Also, what facts don't affect prices today, doesn't mean they won't affect prices tomorrow.

I think longterm investment in "high grade" vintage cards is a bad idea. Nice looking cards will still fetch good prices, but I don't believe in the future someone will pay $100,000 for a one grade increment knowing the card is likely altered to get to that grade. I, and of course many others, already thought it looney considering the normal variations (margins of error) in assigning a grade itself. Considerations the margins of error and variations is grading, paying $500,000 more for a 10 over a 9 is, in many people's opinion, silly enough, but paying $500,000 for a trimmed edge in someone's basement is beyond the pale of expectations.

My assumption, my opinion, is that the majority of high-grade vintage cards have been altered, or 'conserved' if you prefer. And, if and when that sets in with the hobby as a whole, I assume it will affect pricing.

Also, it doesn't take the entire hobby or current 'investors' to give up the ghost on high-grade cards to affect the market. It can just take a substantial minority, in particular, if they are big spenders.

Last edited by drcy; 06-10-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:15 PM
David Peck

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Donrus....c100033.m2042

Is this normal for a 1984 Donruss Don Mattingly? I remember when these were in the $600 to $700 range.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Donrus....c100033.m2042

Is this normal for a 1984 Donruss Don Mattingly? I remember when these were in the $600 to $700 range.
16 retraction bidder running it up.
https://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI....p2471758.m4792

Old 06-10-2019, 12:20 PM
Per.ry Sc-hultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Just as an FYI, I ran one of small Plano card shows this weekend. Out of the 125-150 people who were in the room at some point, maybe 3 even mentioned this subject and maybe one really cared. This "IS" an important issue but remember we're a very small percent of the hobby as an whole.
interesting