NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-14-2019, 10:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Would it be better if I spoke to a top NY criminal defense attorney?
Meh, random professional.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:53 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
May I remind you that this vault is a multi million dollar investment by the company. Probably wise to do research before making assumptions and getting counsel from random professionals on the matter. Because the due diligence has absolutely been done by those with skin in the game.
You now have crossed the line, for me, to sounding like a company shill. I had given you the benefit of the doubt.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-14-2019, 11:16 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
You now have crossed the line, for me, to sounding like a company shill. I had given you the benefit of the doubt.
The posts from the guy criticizing the OP for how much he spent on a card crossed the line of what should be acceptable on this forum, in my opinion. The comment you quoted actually sounds accurate. I don't believe they would build the vault without looking into the legality and tax implications.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:22 PM
Scott Russell

There's a difference between "I don't believe" and "Because the due diligence has absolutely been done"
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 05-14-2019, 11:26 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
The posts from the guy criticizing the OP for how much he spent on a card crossed the line of what should be acceptable on this forum, in my opinion. The comment you quoted actually sounds accurate. I don't believe they would build the vault without looking into the legality and tax implications.
What about building a business without looking into the legality of conspiring to defraud people by knowingly selling altered cards?
Old 05-15-2019, 12:14 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
What about building a business without looking into the legality of conspiring to defraud people by knowingly selling altered cards?
Those are strong allegations that I haven't seen proof of. If you know something I'm unaware of I'd be interested to hear or see what it is.

And to Scott I don't think it's a stretch to assume due diligence was done.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 05-15-2019 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:31 AM
Scott Russell

I agree, I would assume so, but I don't KNOW.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:32 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Those are strong allegations that I haven't seen proof of. If you know something I'm unaware of I'd be interested to hear or see what it is.

And to Scott I don't think it's a stretch to assume due diligence was done.
Have you read all the threads on Blowout identifying specific altered cards, and PWCC's own statement here that they will now "cease" doing business with card doctors? What is the necessary implication of that statement?

Edited to add 93 more today
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1293843

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-15-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:37 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Have you read all the threads on Blowout identifying specific altered cards, and PWCC's own statement here that they will now "cease" doing business with card doctors? What is the necessary implication of that statement?

Edited to add 93 more today
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1293843
Not all, I don't go to blowout often. I didn't see any evidence that pwcc knowingly sold altered cards there though. I don't think refusing to accept consignments from known or suspected card doctors will change much.

Hey jack, send this card in to pwcc for me. They banned my name or address. Not a hard thing to get around.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:45 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Not all, I don't go to blowout often. I didn't see any evidence that pwcc knowingly sold altered cards there though. I don't think refusing to accept consignments from known or suspected card doctors will change much.

Hey jack, send this card in to pwcc for me. They banned my name or address. Not a hard thing to get around.
Just posted from Brent himself. https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1290614

These threads continue to be appreciated and we are grateful for the research.

While the original subject of this thread, the '52 Mantle, is an example of how a card can, in our opinion, be conserved, there have been a number of cards identified on this thread that do fit the definition of alteration.

Thanks to these important efforts, I will say that the submitters of the items that have been identified as altered are prohibited from participating in the PWCC Marketplace moving forward based on the terms of our Marketplace Tenets. We are also working with the grading companies to address the issue according to our Tenets.

Please don't hesitate to contact me at betsy@pwccmarketplace.com with any specific questions or comments.

Last edited by irv; 05-15-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Honestly, if you have blinders on, I am not wasting time talking to you Jesse. PWCC ADMITTED it. End of discussion. Have a nice day.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-15-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:54 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Honestly, if you have blinders on, I am not wasting time talking to you Jesse. PWCC ADMITTED it. End of discussion. Have a nice day.
That may be true, but I didn't see that post.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
That may be true, but I didn't see that post.
Then perhaps you should read what's out there before making pronouncements about the state of the evidence?

Old 05-15-2019, 12:58 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Then perhaps you should read what's out there before making pronouncements about the state of the evidence?
Why? If you don't read it that means it never happened.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:06 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Why? If you don't read it that means it never happened.
Are you always this cynical?
Old 05-15-2019, 01:06 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
I believe my only pronouncement was that I hadn't seen any evidence, not exactly a groundbreaking revelation.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I believe my only pronouncement was that I hadn't seen any evidence, not exactly a groundbreaking revelation.
It implied that it was your assessment of the evidence we've all been discussing.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:10 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Are you always this cynical?
Occupational hazard.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:31 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
It implied that it was your assessment of the evidence we've all been discussing.
What I've seen was a statement that the 52 Mantle appeared to have been altered based on before and after pictures posted on blowout. I saw no evidence they knew this card was altered before posting it. Or that whatever was done to that card even meets PSA's definition of alteration.

I don't remember the whole story with that 36 DiMaggio, but I do remember it didn't look good.

I am completely unaware if there is evidence that they knew of any other altered cards submitted in their auctions. I stated to Jeff that if he knew something I didn't, I'd like to see it. I still would.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:46 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
What I've seen was a statement that the 52 Mantle appeared to have been altered based on before and after pictures posted on blowout. I saw no evidence they knew this card was altered before posting it. Or that whatever was done to that card even meets PSA's definition of alteration.

I don't remember the whole story with that 36 DiMaggio, but I do remember it didn't look good.

I am completely unaware if there is evidence that they knew of any other altered cards submitted in their auctions. I stated to Jeff that if he knew something I didn't, I'd like to see it. I still would.
You’re an idiot
Old 05-15-2019, 03:57 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Quote:
I am a lifetime collector and have seen this hobby evolve the last 30+ years.
To me there is no better time to collect cards. Whether it be modern or vintage. The auction marketplace is as competitive as ever. Making the limited quantity of premium eye appeal cards very special.

I am convinced these opportunities do not come up very often. I finally got one of these premium PWCC cards for my T206 personal collection. Very happy and appreciative for the opportunity to own high eye appeal cards like this. In my opinion labels by PWCC are very worthy of what they state.

+1 for the other side of the spectrum.

Let's lighten the mood and reset this thread to it's original post.
Thanks.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:13 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Just saying .....

Isn’t that what started it?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:22 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

This whole thread is crazy. They know what their doing to cards and they don't give a shit. Plain and simple. MONEY!!!!!
Old 05-15-2019, 04:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

If you read what everyone else has read, you would be aware. If you aren't going to, you shouldn't opine. If you have read and still think there is no evidence, I don't even know what to say at this point.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-15-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:05 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
If you read what everyone else has read, you would be aware. If you aren't going to, you shouldn't opine. If you have read and still think there is no evidence, I don't even know what to say at this point.
Brent admitted the Mantle was worked on prior to it being sold by him. Now Jesse is claiming that Brent is lying?
Old 05-15-2019, 05:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

PWCC has ceased working with card doctors. Uh, to stop something, you must have been doing it before.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:17 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Either Brent or Gary is going to run to the Feds to cooperate against the other to save his own skin. Who will it be? I have a hunch.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Either Brent or Gary is going to run to the Feds to cooperate against the other to save his own skin. Who will it be? I have a hunch.
Poll?

Old 05-15-2019, 05:36 PM
Chuck Tapia

How about you just simply open your eyes?

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 05-15-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:43 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Brent admitted the Mantle was worked on prior to it being sold by him. Now Jesse is claiming that Brent is lying?
Supposedly he spoke of the "alterations" on instagram but wouldn't update the auction to mention them?
Old 05-16-2019, 01:53 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
My reading of his statement was an acknowledgment that the card appears to have been worked on, but not to a degree that would qualify for an altered grade. I didn't see anything that would indicate he had knowledge the card was altered before the auction.

I did not go to law school like some of those commenting. But it seems to me you guys are making assumptions and accusations that even if very likely to be true haven't been proven to be true. And you're stating them as though they're facts.

If more evidence comes out tying pwcc to card doctors and showing they knowingly defrauded customers it may bring the company down. Or it could turn out there isn't any proof and this will all blow over. If I had to place a bet today, it would be on the latter. It will be interesting to see how it plays out though.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Jesse, great post.

Quote:
My reading of his statement was an acknowledgment that the card appears to have been worked on, but not to a degree that would qualify for an altered grade. I didn't see anything that would indicate he had knowledge the card was altered before the auction.

I did not go to law school like some of those commenting. But it seems to me you guys are making assumptions and accusations that even if very likely to be true haven't been proven to be true. And you're stating them as though they're facts.

If more evidence comes out tying pwcc to card doctors and showing they knowingly defrauded customers it may bring the company down. Or it could turn out there isn't any proof and this will all blow over. If I had to place a bet today, it would be on the latter. It will be interesting to see how it plays out though.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Read what Jeff posted about evidence he has seen in the thread started by PWCC. Read what PWCC ITSELF said. Not about Mantle, about no longer affiliating with card doctors. My God, dude, take off the blinders.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-16-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Jesse, great post.
IMO you just don't want to acknowledge reality, Leon. Everyone else here, except Jesse and maybe Martin, sees it plain as day.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-16-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:20 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
IMO you just don't want to acknowledge reality, Leon. Everyone else here, except Jesse, David and maybe Martin, sees it plain as day.
Throw my name in there too, Peter. I, too, have yet to see any evidence that Brent knew any cards were altered prior to going to auction.

From the Alteration vs. Conservation Defined thread: "you are innocent until proven guilty." Wouldn't that same statement apply to Brent too, or am I way off here?
Old 05-16-2019, 02:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Throw my name in there too, Peter. I, too, have yet to see any evidence that Brent knew any cards were altered prior to going to auction.

From the Alteration vs. Conservation Defined thread: "you are innocent until proven guilty." Wouldn't that same statement apply to Brent too, or am I way off here?
You make a worthy addition David. My apologies for not including you.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-16-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post

You're a smart guy David. If I tell the world that from now on I won't rob any more banks, what does that convey about my past?

Old 05-16-2019, 02:40 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
You're a smart guy David. If I tell the world that from now on I won't rob any more banks, what does that convey about my past?
A more relevant analogy would be what if a bank said they'd stop accepting deposits from money launderers, drug dealers, etc. Maybe they knew where the money was coming from, maybe they suspected but didn't ask any questions, or maybe they had no idea. But enough people on the banking forums were complaining, so they put out a statement saying they will work to prevent such deposits in the future.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 05-16-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
A more relevant analogy would be what if a bank said they'd stop accepting deposits from money launderers, drug dealers, etc. Maybe they knew where the money was coming from, maybe they suspected but didn't ask any questions, or maybe they had no idea. But enough people on the banking forums were complaining, so they put out a statement saying they will work to prevent such deposits in the future.
Uh huh. So how does the bank know who to stop accepting deposits from in your example unless it knows they're money launderers and drug dealers? And why did it ever take their deposits? Anyhow, read Jeff's post about evidence he has seen.

PS read the words. It doesn't say suspected, it says proven track record. "PWCC will officially cease working with any individual who has a proven track record of consistently hurting trust in the marketplace, the brand of PWCC, or the reputations of the grading companies upon which our market is based."

PPS if they're clean, why not release the identity of all the cards from such people they have sold in the past, instead of leaving it to the collectors to figure it out.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-16-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:53 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Uh huh. So how does the bank know who to stop accepting deposits from in your example unless it knows they're money launderers and drug dealers? And why did it ever take their deposits? Anyhow, read Jeff's post about evidence he has seen.

PS read the words. It doesn't say suspected, it says proven track record . "PWCC will officially cease working with any individual who has a proven track record of consistently hurting trust in the marketplace, the brand of PWCC, or the reputations of the grading companies upon which our market is based."
Well some of these guys are suspected drug dealers or money launderers. So they haven't been convicted of anything. And accepting their deposits isn't a crime. What legal justification is there for the bank to turn away their deposit? What if a drug dealer's grandmother gives him 100 bucks for his birthday? Can he deposit that check but not the drug money? How do you determine which is which?
Old 05-16-2019, 02:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Well some of these guys are suspected drug dealers or money launderers. So they haven't been convicted of anything. And accepting their deposits isn't a crime. What legal justification is there for the bank to turn away their deposit? What if a drug dealer's grandmother gives him 100 bucks for his birthday? Can he deposit that check but not the drug money? How do you determine which is which?
I honestly don't follow the relevance of all this. Does a private company PWCC need a legal justification to turn away a consignment? I thought we were discussing the import of their decision to do just that with people they say have a proven track record. Unless that language was a BS smokescreen and they actually aren't stopping doing business with anyone because the track record hasn't been proven? Interesting angle, I hadn't considered that. But, I wouldn't put it past them I suppose.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-16-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:06 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

The Net 54 grand jury is neck and neck here. I wonder what will happen?
Old 05-16-2019, 03:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
The Net 54 grand jury is neck and neck here. I wonder what will happen?
Can you serve on a grand jury if you have a conflict?

Old 05-16-2019, 03:17 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Quote:
Can you serve on a grand jury if you have a conflict?
No he cannot. Jefferey read too much fake news
Old 05-16-2019, 03:21 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
I honestly don't follow the relevance of all this. Does a private company PWCC need a legal justification to turn away a consignment? I thought we were discussing the import of their decision to do just that with people they say have a proven track record. Unless that language was a BS smokescreen and they actually aren't stopping doing business with anyone because the track record hasn't been proven? Interesting angle, I hadn't considered that. But, I wouldn't put it past them I suppose.
I'm not a lawyer, but what if they turn away a consignment and that person alleges discrimination? What if they were falsely accused of being a card doctor by an ex business partner determined to see them fail? Who is responsible for putting names on this can't submit list? Is there an appeal process? In theory it sounds great. Just don't accept submissions from known card doctors. In practice I don't think it's that simple.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:21 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

I think this is all a conspiracy to crap on my exceptional card that I was able to pick up. This conspiracy goes years back and Is too elaborate. I don’t buy anything anyone is saying.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:22 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

But who here is Lee J. Cobb and who is Henry Fonda??

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:23 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
No he cannot. Jefferey read too much fake news
Like Brent’s emails?
Old 05-16-2019, 03:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I'm not a lawyer, but what if they turn away a consignment and that person alleges discrimination? What if they were falsely accused of being a card doctor by an ex business partner determined to see them fail? Who is responsible for putting names on this can't submit list? Is there an appeal process? In theory it sounds great. Just don't accept submissions from known card doctors. In practice I don't think it's that simple.
Double post.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-16-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
My head may explode from all these hypotheticals. Look, the bottom line is that for the most part the major card doctors are well known to the major sellers in the hobby and the grading services and many of the collectors. And to the FBI, I would add. It's a close-knit community going back to the pre-internet show days and insiders know. There may be some who have flown under the radar but for the most part, they haven't.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-16-2019 at 03:29 PM.