NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-08-2019, 10:52 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I didn't find that in the United States Code, Peter.
The Book of Proverbs. Pride goeth before a fall.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-08-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:54 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The Book of Proverbs. Pride goeth before a fall.
Yes but if Samson cut his hair only halfway would he still have had the strength to kill 1000 Philistines with the jawbone of an ass?

Edited to add the emoji

Last edited by calvindog; 05-08-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Yes but if Samson cut his hair only halfway would he still have had the strength to kill 1000 Philistines with the jawbone of an ass?

Edited to add the emoji
Depends on the jawbone.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:58 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Depends on the jawbone.
What if it's the jawbone's job to smite the Philistines? Does that make Brent guilty?

I'll wait.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
What if it's the jawbone's job to smite the Philistines? Does that make Brent guilty?

I'll wait.
Well, Brent presumably has a jawbone, so there you go.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:50 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Well, Brent presumably has a jawbone, so there you go.
Yes but I am proudly bolding this part of my response. Therefore the jawbone has a job it must do.

Last edited by calvindog; 05-08-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:59 AM
Peter Spaeth

Well, you force me to a musical interlude, Peter Paul and Mary written by Rev. Gary Davis.

You read about Samson, you read about his birth
He was the strongest man that ever lived on Earth.
One day old Samson was walking alone
He looked down on the ground and he saw an old jaw-bone.
He lifted up that jaw-bone and he swung it over his head,
and when he got to moving ten thousand was dead.

If I had my way,
If I had my way in this wicked world,
If I had my way I would tear this building down.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:38 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:

I'll wait.

Only if the jawbone was a 6 and is now an 8....
Old 05-09-2019, 03:00 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:

I'll wait.
I gave up smoting years ago.

"Anyone really care what some freaking hayseed in Oregon thinks about cards?"

Ted, best line of the year.

A Lord on high at one of the TPGs admitted to me years ago that they are all aware that cards are being altered but that they cannot detect a good job of removing a foreign substance from a card. Light erasures, soakings, etc., it has been going on ever since TPGs started minting money for their customers based on the perceived grade of the card and it is not going to stop.

No one is going to be swayed by anything said here. The fans of PWCC and those who don't care what happened to get a card into a TPG holder have their beliefs and nothing rational will shake them.

DRCY writes: "If this all a method to hide from bidders and buyers the presence of conservation or restoration or other alterations, it's wrong"

I view it as more of an effort to shift concern away from criticism of the piss-poor job the TPGs have done on delivering on their promises of no alterations getting through their sieves. PWCC's entire business rests on two concepts: the TPG-encapsulated cards are what they are and as long as they have the right capsules around them the cards themselves are basically interchangeable commodities. Well, we know that the TPGs are missing all sorts of stuff: fake signatures, trimmed cards, cleaned cards, etc. So what can you do in the face of the evidence? Change the discussion or change the parameters of what you define as a wrongful alteration. The discussion itself ain't gonna change, so the OP is just a way of trying to sell us on the idea that even if the PSA or BGS slab has a card that has had one of these procedures, like a bath and cleaning, that's fine because it merely brought the card back towards its original state and the TPG then blessed it. So what if it went from a 4 to a 7 and the person who rode that train will make a fortune?

It's bulls**t of the highest order tossed out there to keep the gravy train rolling.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-09-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:21 PM
+0m J()rd@N

So should I feel bad about wiping wax stains off of my 1970s Topps cards with my shirt-tail?

And should I disclose the deed? It may not warrant a numerical bump by a TPG, but it could eliminate the dreaded (ST) qualifier.

BTW, thank you BLong for putting some of the pieces together and shedding more light on all of this. Much like the college admissions scandal, I'm a bit disheartened, but not surprised.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 05-09-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:58 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
So should I feel bad about wiping wax stains off of my 1970s Topps cards with my shirt-tail?

And should I disclose the deed? It may not warrant a numerical bump by a TPG, but it could eliminate the dreaded (ST) qualifier.

BTW, thank you BLong for putting some of the pieces together and shedding more light on all of this. Much like the college admissions scandal, I'm a bit disheartened, but not surprised.
Shirt-tail wax removal isn’t woke. I’ve always thought panty-hose wax removal was the preferred technique. Then again I fully realize that everyone with shirt tails does not wear panty-hose. To make matters worse the Untuckit shirts eliminate the shirt tail alternative. The future should see a bump in panty-hose sales for this reason.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.