NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-15-2019, 09:36 PM

I look at it this way; if I had an extra 500K to 750K just sitting around and looking to spend on something, if I had the choice, then instead of buying this Michael Jordan card, I would buy a nice condo on a beach in or near a smaller city in Florida.

Now, if we were talking about some pre-war cards then that would be different......

David
Old 02-16-2019, 07:46 AM
David Peck

I knew I remembered seeing one of these a handful of years back and it going for close to 90k.

https://www.cardboardconnection.com/...michael-jordan

I checked the certs and the number on the back it is a different one and it too has the authentic grade.

I think the comments about modern prospecting are fair but this card doesn't fall into that category. For whatever reason it has been deemed to be the holy grail of Jordan inserts and for that reason it will always carry huge value. Michael Jordan has some fanatical collectors and for good reason.

This comes down to bragging rights as like most high priced cards do.

The initial bidding had tons of false bids being placed so the 500k to 700k price seems unrealistic to me but I wouldn't be surprised to see this move up some from here. Either way the current bid is higher than the sale from 2015 so if one wants to view this as a bubble, more hot air has come into the balloon.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:54 AM
St@n Go.len

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
I look at it this way; if I had an extra 500K to 750K just sitting around and looking to spend on something, if I had the choice, then instead of buying this Michael Jordan card, I would buy a nice condo on a beach in or near a smaller city in Florida.

Now, if we were talking about some pre-war cards then that would be different......

David
Take it a step further....theres rookies out there like Fernando Tatis Jr fetching a thousand dollars. If I was dropping a $1000 I'd get me a decent early MANTLE.

Even Derek Jeter, and I do love Jeter----auto balls are $500? I can get a Mantle or Joe D for less.

Mantle=VALUE LOL!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2019, 08:14 AM
octavio ranzola

Hold on im running to the bank
Old 02-16-2019, 08:45 AM
Matt

Some people here seem to forget that Michael Jordan is not an unproven baseball prospect.

There also seems to be some conflating of “prospecting,” which is one endeavor, and simply collecting modern players you like.

There is also such a thing as collecting with no enjoyment hinging on future monetary values. It’s wrong to assume every public purchase is a mercenary investment to be judged on ROI, as opposed to simple collecting. Who’s to say what someone’s reasons are for a purchase, or what their bank acct looks like?

There are lots of different ways to play in the card hobby, and to each his own.

There are things like prospecting or busting expensive boxes (vintage or modern) that some guys love; not my cup of tea, but it doesn’t feel right to slight it or look down on it.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:39 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Some people here seem to forget that Michael Jordan is not an unproven baseball prospect.

There also seems to be some conflating of “prospecting,” which is one endeavor, and simply collecting modern players you like.

There is also such a thing as collecting with no enjoyment hinging on future monetary values. It’s wrong to assume every public purchase is a mercenary investment to be judged on ROI, as opposed to simple collecting. Who’s to say what someone’s reasons are for a purchase, or what their bank acct looks like?

There are lots of different ways to play in the card hobby, and to each his own.

There are things like prospecting or busting expensive boxes (vintage or modern) that some guys love; not my cup of tea, but it doesn’t feel right to slight it or look down on it.
As DPeck mentioned, ego probably has as much to do with a lot of purchases as investment, if not more.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:15 AM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
I look at it this way; if I had an extra 500K to 750K just sitting around and looking to spend on something, if I had the choice, then instead of buying this Michael Jordan card, I would buy a nice condo on a beach in or near a smaller city in Florida.David
Maintenance costs and annual taxes will be less on the Jordan.