NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-08-2019, 08:27 AM
Tom Re.bert

Might the Cobb green portrait graded a 5 + alone possibly see mid-five figures?

You might check attending the 2019 National Convention this year being in Chicago might present another option ?

Would make a opportunity to shop the cards since all the majors will be attending.

I am planning to attend this year taking a old baseball Photograph!
Old 02-08-2019, 09:30 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...hlight=caprice
I'll say that you're probably best off contacting someone like Greg Morris as well, especially for the post-1940s cards. But you would do well to find a trusted board member in your area to confirm authenticity and then advise you upon seeing the card.
People keep saying that you'll pay no "sellers premium" to an auctionhouse still think it's perfectly appropriate to pay 20% for the buyers premium. They're the same thing: a percent of your sold card price that goes to the place you sell the cards to.
If you want to be more involved in the actual selling part, I am a huge fan of COMC. I've sold thousands of cards on there in just a couple of years. You mail the cards to COMC, they scan and store them, you set the price, and when they sell, COMC mails them to buyers all over the world (even through eBay and Amazon).
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:32 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Not a terrible idea, but in essence an honest auction house is trying to make you the most money possible as that is how THEY make money. Also is the bolded portion supposed to be a bad thing?

When Jerry Mason was looking at what to do with the Miner's Extra collection he found in a house he was cleaning out, I met with him and gave him a lot of free advice on how to deal with auction houses. He originally had only committed to giving me the non-sports, but I didn't want to see him get taken. I spent quite some time with him going over things without any thought to getting the baseball and boxing cards.

A while later, to my surprise, he called me and asked me to take on the whole collection.

Maybe I'm naive or a Pollyanna, but I believe in helping people regardless of whether or not they consign to me. It's just who I am.
I can say from personal experience as a buyer and seller with Scott he is the most honest guy in the business. All you have to do is look at the descriptions he has used in his previous auctions. There is no BS and he honestly describes the cards.

I can't say enough good things about the man and the service he provides. If going the auction house route I would highly recommend putting him on your short list of prospective AHs.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:47 AM

Whatever you do don't sell any of the cards yourself. Send them to an auction house and let them handle the sale. People will make offers and they'll sound good to you, but they won't be.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:48 AM
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...hlight=caprice

People keep saying that you'll pay no "sellers premium" to an auctionhouse still think it's perfectly appropriate to pay 20% for the buyers premium. They're the same thing: a percent of your sold card price that goes to the place you sell the cards to.
Reading through this thread, it appears that some people love auction houses and some hate them. Yes, a 20% buyer's premium may seem high, but it's actually very low compared to what an art gallery, for example, charges. Personally, I think a reputable auction house, like REA or LOTG, provides added value by advertising and exposing your high end material to a huge group of high end buyers and investors.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:00 AM

Selling a collection, a quick guide to maximizing by concerned individual

Step 1: Familiarize yourself with grading: https://www.psacard.com/resources/gr...tandards#cards. The difference between a 5 and 6 on a card like a T206 Green Background Ty Cobb is immense-- $10,000 or more

Step 2: Safely remove the cards from the screw down holders and place them into Card Saver 1's https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ver+1&_sacat=0 Go ahead and buy $10 worth of junk cards to practice with until you aren't chipping corners or creating any unneeded wear on your cards.

Step 3: Create a dark space in your house and buy a halogen light bulb desk lamp. This is the space you will use to review the condition of your cards accurately.

Step 4: Create a google sheet with columns "Card Type", "Grade", "Price of grade estimate" "Price of 1 grade below" "Price of 1 grade higher".

Step 5: Work through your collection 1 by 1 and create this spreadsheet with your estimates and the grades up and grades down. This will give you a low end, an average, and a high end of what your collection might be worth.

Step 6: Scan a sampling of 30 to 50 cards front and back and post them here for grading estimates to ensure accuracy in step 5.

Step 7: Contact Greg Morris Cards and REA auctions. Do not contact any other auctions listed in this thread-- you will regret it.

Step 8: Use Greg Morris Cards to maximize and sell all cards from the 1930's to the 1980's.

Step 9: Use REA to maximize and sell all cards from the 1920's and earlier including your high end T206's, tobacco cards, and any ultra-hi end singles.

Step 10: TAKE YOUR TIME. I can't see the exact condition, but if your whole collection is in similar condition you could have $30,000-$50,000 or more-- TAKE YOUR TIME.

If you need ANY help please reach out to me via text, phone call, or email. I will be more than happy to review your spreadsheet, give an objective opinion on condition and value, and try to help point you in the right direction.

Last edited by Sean1125; 02-08-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:01 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

In medicine a second opinion can be reassuring unless it diverges significantly from the first opinion. This can precipitate a third opinion and so on.

On Net54 a question thread like this results in 37 opinions all of which are biased to some degree by anecdotal personal experience.

Pretend you are the OP, a novice in the hobby, read this thread and then tell me what you would conclude.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
My condolences on the loss of your Father--a very sad time to be sure!

My below thoughts are just mine & I could be very wrong, BUT-----

Am I the only one who has a question as to authenticity? Those tobacco cards look too perfectly centered, bright & untouched, all of them.

I certainly hope they are ALL real, but something looks too good to me!
Thank you for the condolences. I completely understand where youre coming from. I'm going to get a scanner for better photos and maybe bring them down to a shop in Copperstown for someone to look at for a glance over.

All I can say about the old man was, he never used a computer in his life. This collection was mainly built before I was born. We live 2 hours from Copperstown and thats where he spent a lot of time along with some auctions. I don't think grading was popular or even existed when he was doing most of his collecting... I just don't see the old man spending his time or money buying reprints but I could absolutely be wrong. I remember as a really young kid going to Copperstown and he knew everyone, the shop owners would take me to exhibits not even open to the public yet and show me new card or memorabilia arrivals. It was an amazing experience everytime I went. I still do go there almost every year, but just to visit the hall and have a nice meal.

No matter what happens with the cards, real/fake whatever the outcome. I will keep everyone updated to show the appreciation for all the feedback responses and love given out by you guys. I will stay patient and continue researching and talking with people. You guys are all awesome, thank you.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:34 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
In medicine a second opinion can be reassuring unless it diverges significantly from the first opinion. This can precipitate a third opinion and so on.

On Net54 a question thread like this results in 37 opinions all of which are biased to some degree by anecdotal personal experience.

Pretend you are the OP, a novice in the hobby, read this thread and then tell me what you would conclude.
Imagine how many opinions he would have if he had asked for investment advice.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:51 AM
Rich

Quote:

To be really careful taking cards out of screw-down holders...
Old 02-08-2019, 11:14 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

If you're a newbie, send them to an auction house and don't sell them on your own. Unless you really want to.

If you post or send to someone really big images of cards, they can't tell if they are authentic.

Last edited by drcy; 02-08-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:52 AM
Banned

does anyone have a question about taxes?
Old 02-08-2019, 11:57 AM
Chase

Quote:

Exactly Frank. If the guy was not confused before posting here, he is sure to be now. He is getting opinions of people he does not know and as you said, whose biases he is not privy to.

At least he is being exposed to options to explore and consider. He has a high quality problem.

Chase
Old 02-08-2019, 12:20 PM
Barry Sloate

I think the OP is getting too many varying opinions and might be more confused now than he was before he posted.

If I may give him my opinion, try to find one person whom you trust who can help you through the process of selling your father's cards.

Last edited by barrysloate; 02-08-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:32 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Lotg

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
Dude, what’s your issue with LOTG? Al and Jeff have been as good as they come from all of my experiences as a consignor and a buyer.

This is all going to be about properly reading those cards from their screw down tombs. I don’t know the best way to do it, but Scott makes a great point. I am sure someone who knows more than me could give you some guidance. Good luck. Very cool collection!
Hey, when LOTG first started I consigned a lot of high end cards to Al’s first two auctions. Ask Al. I lost my shirt as I expected with a start-up.

In a subsequent LOTG auction Al pulled a stunt that I didn’t like with one of my cards. I then tried to pull out the rest of my consignment, but my cards were held for ransom by honest Al. I had to get my attorney involved to get them back. That’s my issue dude.

Edited to add: Jeff Prizner joined LOTG way after this happened. Jeff is a friend and a stand up guy.

Last edited by mantlefan; 02-08-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:22 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantlefan View Post
Hey, when LOTG first started I consigned a lot of high end cards to Al’s first two auctions. Ask Al. I lost my shirt as I expected with a start-up.

In a subsequent LOTG auction Al pulled a stunt that I didn’t like with one of my cards. I then tried to pull out the rest of my consignment, but my cards were held for ransom by honest Al. I had to get my attorney involved to get them back. That’s my issue dude.
what kind of a stunt was that bad, was it a bad description or put in the wrong category etc..
Old 02-08-2019, 02:30 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Sorry to hear of your loss.

You're getting a lot of good advice from our members...to which I will only suggest that you hold onto a few as a memory and tribute to your Dad...that way you could keep them in the family and pass it along when you want to.

I'm hopeful that you will get 'the bug' before saying goodbye to what has been left to you.

It's a Wonderful Hobby...and, at least so far, a much better investment (if you're careful) than many other things.

-Robbie

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-08-2019, 02:35 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
An independent third party consultant, who knows vintage cards, with no vested interest in selling your your collection is where I would start.

A knowledgeable collector, who lives close to you, probably exists on this board.

I’m in NY and would be more than happy to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2019, 02:47 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Stunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
what kind of a stunt was that bad, was it a bad description or put in the wrong category etc..
Worse. A lot worse. A betrayal. PM me for the details.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:50 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Skatehabitat24, are you north or south of Cooperstown? I’m 3 hours south.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMA View Post
Skatehabitat24, are you north or south of Cooperstown? I’m 3 hours south.

Albany Area

I will be hooking my scanner/printer up if people are interested seeing some cards up close I will post some in this thread. I appreciate all the help, responses and condolences again thank you.

Last edited by Skatehabitat24; 02-08-2019 at 03:18 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-08-2019, 03:26 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...light=neighbor
Here's another useful thread.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:03 PM

Wanted to throw some more photos up for you guys. Still got a lot more to go through, sorry if these dont belong in this section just wanted to keep everything in the same thread. Scanner isnt working that great photos coming out really bad gonna try some stuff to make it better, so shitty cell phone photos for now.

Good news though is every card that I have been unscrewing has been completely free, undamaged, and not stuck at all!

Last edited by Skatehabitat24; 02-08-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:05 PM
pete ullman

NICE!!!!! The cobbs are sweet...too bad the greenies got a little nibble on the corner...and a cycle speaker...that's much better than a common back!!!!!

Look real to me...grades are another question?
Old 02-08-2019, 05:26 PM

Old 02-08-2019, 05:26 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantlefan View Post
Worse. A lot worse. A betrayal. PM me for the details.
I've always liked you Dr. Frank but this isn't right. You had a bad experience once with Al and LOTG and I understand that. But trying to soil his reputation in public for something that happened years and years ago is uncalled for.

jeff
Old 02-08-2019, 05:51 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatehabitat24 View Post

Wanted to throw some more photos up for you guys. Still got a lot more to go through, sorry if these dont belong in this section just wanted to keep everything in the same thread. Scanner isnt working that great photos coming out really bad gonna try some stuff to make it better, so shitty cell phone photos for now.

Good news though is every card that I have been unscrewing has been completely free, undamaged, and not stuck at all!

Wow, you're dad was a stud! As much as I'd love to get my hands on all of these there are definitely some that should go to the big boys. My offer of helping you with no obligation on your end stands.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 02-08-2019, 06:00 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
I've always liked you Dr. Frank but this isn't right. You had a bad experience once with Al and LOTG and I understand that. But trying to soil his reputation in public for something that happened years and years ago is uncalled for.

jeff
I agree. We are getting only one side of the story, and then only a partial story at that. I have never had a problem with Al. In fact, I think he goes out of his way to be accommodative. I think he is one of the good guys in the hobby, and if you seek to besmirch his reputation you should have to provide hard facts.

Jay
Old 02-08-2019, 06:26 PM
Scott Levy

I’ll add my opinion here. I STRONGLY encourage you to consign the collection to a reputable auction house - there are quite a few of them but REA and Love of the game are the two that come to mind immediately.

You are admittedly not an expert in cards - which is exactly why you should hire an expert auction company to act in your best interest and the two above ones will.

I also recommend that you save a small handful of cards for yourself - even if it just sits in a drawer - one day you may want to pull it out and remember dad.

I’m very sorry about your loss - but dad left behind a remarkable “card legacy”

My best wishes
Scott
Old 02-08-2019, 06:33 PM

Old 02-08-2019, 06:47 PM
pete ullman

beautiful cards...being a yankees fan i like your dads style!!! Love the chesbro and the matty...SHARP!!!!!
Old 02-08-2019, 06:48 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Soiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post

jeff
Hey Jeff, it was 2 years ago not 10. And who died and made you King to decide what's "right"?

I sent you a PM with the facts. Should I post them here? Will you like me again if I do?
Old 02-08-2019, 06:50 PM
seablaster@yahoo.com

Your father had good taste; I can tell you that.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:56 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottglevy View Post
I’ll add my opinion here. I STRONGLY encourage you to consign the collection to a reputable auction house - there are quite a few of them but REA and Love of the game are the two that come to mind immediately.

You are admittedly not an expert in cards - which is exactly why you should hire an expert auction company to act in your best interest and the two above ones will.

I also recommend that you save a small handful of cards for yourself - even if it just sits in a drawer - one day you may want to pull it out and remember dad.

I’m very sorry about your loss - but dad left behind a remarkable “card legacy”

My best wishes
Scott
Best post on this thread. Some have said some of this, but this sums it up in quick terms.
Exactlly what I would say.
-Jimmy
Old 02-08-2019, 07:09 PM

Old 02-08-2019, 07:11 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:

I was thinking the same after catching up on the thread tonight.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Wow, you're dad was a stud! As much as I'd love to get my hands on all of these there are definitely some that should go to the big boys. My offer of helping you with no obligation on your end stands.
Much respect to you for your comments throughout this thread, Scott. I would not hesitate to recommend you and your auction house to prospective sellers.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:17 PM
pete ullman

Quote:

AWESOME!!! Sharp highlanders!
Old 02-08-2019, 07:21 PM

I apologize again for the shitty photos guys... Scanner didn't work too well, so is my phone for now, but Ill figure it out. Everyone here is amazing and I thank you so much for everything. Its been amazing interacting with these cards so far and you guys were the ones who pushed me to at least start. I was too nervous to touch them before let alone open them take pictures and reholster. Thank you guys my old man wouldve been happy as hell here with all of you.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:22 PM
Jimmy

Your Dad had some great cards! There is so much history which is why I enjoy talking about them - looks like you got a great response already!

scanning the photos can be a good option as well

Jimmy
Old 02-08-2019, 08:24 PM
Scott Russell

Yeah it' a shame he didn't know about us. He would've been a collecting brother to all of us for sure.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 02-09-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Hello everyone, I'm new to these wonderful forums. I'm a diehard Yankees and NY Giants fan living in NY. My father was a diehard fan and collector all his life. Sadly, the old man got sick and passed away leaving me with his collection. It's been some time and I'm now ready to move forward with it and try to find these cards good homes. I don't want to continue collecting and I'm too afraid of keeping them and either getting destroyed or sitting in a safe/closet forever.

All of his cards are ungraded.... I'm going to post an overview picture of some of the cards. My knowledge isn't that great beyond the online research I have done... These pictures are a very small glimpse of the entire collection. For instance he has over 25 mickey mantles of various years (no rookie) and hundreds of cards in the 40's 50's 60's.... mays, clemente, ted williams, koufax, yas, hank aaron, ect ect ect ect.....

I have no family and I'm a young adult who is lost on what to do with them. Thank you to any knowledge or advice on where I should go from here.... I do have bad individual photos of each card I can upload as well with the front and back more clear, I dont have a scanner but will get one soon....

Again thank you everybody so much....

I'm sorry about your fathers passing. ~ Take care, Mark

Last edited by markcal02; 02-10-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:51 AM
FredYoung

Default I took the liberty---

---to enlarge a couple of the scans. What do you think?

I just added my Brown for comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206 Brownn54.jpg (65.4 KB, 947 views)
File Type: jpg t20 planknet54.jpg (58.2 KB, 938 views)
File Type: jpg tsgcbrownf.jpg (72.5 KB, 940 views)

Last edited by GoldenAge50s; 02-09-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:53 AM
FredYoung

Default I don't get it---

----93 posts in the 1st day and a half and not a peep by ANYONE since I put up some scans yesterday? (Not even the OP).

I'm amazed & perplexed at the same time.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:27 PM

I have found that overall the weekend is a slower period of Net54 traffic than during the week...perhaps people like to check out and post while they are on the job instead of doing what they are paid to do.

By the way, those large scans really do hint at how nice a batch of vintage cards the OP has inherited.

Brian
Old 02-10-2019, 12:43 PM
Rich

I hate to say it, but I'm skeptical of some of those cards...
Old 02-10-2019, 01:02 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Quote:
----93 posts in the 1st day and a half and not a peep by ANYONE since I put up some scans yesterday? (Not even the OP).

I am a little skeptical too.
However, I am watching and waiting for expert comments. Which I can not provide.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:09 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:

I'm guessing there have been many many PMs exchanged. Some folks like to keep it on the down low if they sense there is a good opportunity to be had.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4859824600000578-5292033-image-a-5_1516457423553.jpg (55.0 KB, 726 views)
Old 02-10-2019, 01:10 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
By the way, those large scans really do hint at how nice a batch of vintage cards the OP has inherited.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that's the point that Fred was trying to convey with the large scans.

I'll go ahead and say it. To me, the Brown appears trimmed and the the Young appears to have re-colored corners. The borders on Brown are too thin and no way Young has that much border wear, but barely any wear on the corners.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:11 PM

The enlarged scans of the Plank and Young tell my eyes that they are 100% great, original cards, and that the T206 Brown is original but has incredibly crisp borders and sharp corners (possibility of trimming, but also could just be a top condition card).

Brian