NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-12-2018, 08:14 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
60/40 top to bottom, forget it . Nice card, a lot of money.
Ha! I'd say more like 55/45

Hey, if you have a ton of money and are a big Musial fan, you might be wiling to pay as much as it takes.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:21 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
i don't care how much and how you earned your hard earned money ...spending 28K on a card like that is just plain stupid! And I'll say it again and again and again!
Stupid based on what criteria? Maybe the guy loved the card. Or if he's a flipper, maybe he makes a successful sale. In which case to him it wasn't stupid at all.

In terms of personal collecting preference and choices, we are probably in perfect agreement on the Musial 10 in question, yet why the need to insult a fellow collector?

Please post up some of your card purchases so they can be evaluated in kind.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-12-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:51 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Stupid based on what criteria? Maybe the guy loved the card. Or if he's a flipper, maybe he makes a successful sale. In which case to him it wasn't stupid at all.

In terms of personal collecting preference and choices, we are probably in perfect agreement on the Musial 10 in question, yet why the need to insult a fellow collector?

Please post up some of your card purchases so they can be evaluated in kind.
you're right...no point is arguing or demeaning others for how they choose to spend their money. not my kind of card...nor the way I choose to collect...to each their own...live and let live. i will post a recent purchase for you guys soon to rip to threads!
Old 04-12-2018, 08:54 AM
pete ullman

Here is a recent addition to my armpit collection. Tear me apart...I can take it!

It's an e90-1 btw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img006 2.jpg (77.1 KB, 595 views)
Old 04-12-2018, 08:59 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Here is a recent addition to my armpit collection. Tear me apart...I can take it!

It's an e90-1 btw.
I will start, Pete you paid too much and what is it? It doesnt sparkle and I can't find that guy on any current roster, does he even still play?
Old 04-12-2018, 09:00 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Pete we should start a Roast me thread. People can Post picks of a single card and we can tell them how they should have better spent their money and time. Actually keep an eye out because I am going to get it going

BTW the centering on that Sh!tty Wags card is about as off as your personality!

Member since 2009

Last edited by T205 GB; 04-12-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:00 AM
Matt

Quote:

It's an e90-1 btw.
Pete,

Need to know what you paid to really tear that Wags to shreds— though someone clearly already got to it pretty good.

I have to run to work, but I will try and write up some quality withering invective for you by end of day

Just joshing of course. My kind of card if gotten at an easy price.

* Though in the spirit of the usual online discourse, those 4 somewhat equally rounded corners are a telltale sign of an artificially aged reprint!

MC

Last edited by MattyC; 04-12-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:02 AM
pete ullman

i paid a tad bit over 1/28th the cost of the musial.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:03 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
Pete we should start a Roast me thread. People can Post picks of a single card and we can tell them how they should have better spent their money and time. Actually keep an eye out because I am going to get it going

BTW the centering on that Sh!tty Wags card is about as off as your personality!
haha...I think!!!!!
Old 04-12-2018, 09:35 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Default Sold this about two years back...

to a Net54 peasant Originally bought for either a dime or a quarter - don't remember exactly since it was the 1960s

Rip it to shreds:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52B Musial F.jpg (44.1 KB, 577 views)

Last edited by Paul S; 04-12-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:07 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
to a Net54 peasant Originally bought for either a dime or a quarter - don't remember exactly since it was the 1960s

Rip it to shreds:
Nice.. I really do think this one of the more beautiful cards out there, in general.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:43 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I have long suspected there are politics involved in 10s, at least at the very expensive level.
This. It is a rigged game.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:16 AM
David M.

I'm just glad to finally see Musial get some respect. Still not Mantle money, but not bad!
Old 04-12-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:

It's an e90-1 btw.
Nice card.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:30 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
I'm just glad to finally see Musial get some respect. Still not Mantle money, but not bad!
I'm not sure Musial is getting respect here; a PSA FLIP is getting the respect here. That's what I think Pete was referring to when he said it was stupid. I agree that we should not attack other collectors for buying whatever they want, but (Pete correct me if I'm wrong here) I think he was referring to the practice of paying insane amounts for a flip. If you shoved Peter's psa 7 in that 10 holder, the guy still would have bought it for 28k. Thats the Problem. Pete isn't mocking fellow CARD collectors; he's addressing the logic of collecting FLIPS.

I think there is a fine line between insulting fellow collectors and having an educated discussion on a baseball card forum about how wise it is to spend multiple thousands of dollars on a card because of the holder it is in (see the black swamp find thread). Use of the word "stupid" may cross that line, but that's Pete's opinion. Part of the purpose of our forum is to share opinions. I would bet the buyer has a Musial registry and needed the 10. Good for him. He's got the money for it and he needs it to improve his registry. Nothing wrong with that. Problem is that we know that card could be broken out, resubmitted, and get a 9. Then we must ask "is the CARD worth 28k?" At the end of the day, if high grade Musials is what that collector collects, then God bless him. He chose a hell of a player. But do not be mistaken. A PSA 10 holder got the respect here, not the Hall of Famer the card depicts.

Last edited by orly57; 04-12-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:39 PM
Tony Conte

Well the SGC 82 has to be worth a couple bucks more now....lol....

Nice card btw!

Old 04-12-2018, 12:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

One wonders what this card would have sold for as an SGC 98. Less than half is my guess.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:13 PM
Tony Conte

Quote:
One wonders what this card would have sold for as an SGC 98. Less than half is my guess.
I agree. I'd guess 5-7k
Old 04-12-2018, 01:51 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Probably nothing because I think SGC would have not graded it with more than an A!

Member since 2009
Old 04-12-2018, 01:59 PM
UFFDAH

For the record I was the winning bidder. I am not stupid nor naïve. I graduated from college Cum Laude and own/run a multi-million $ company that sells into major retailers across the USA. I collected as a kid in the early 80's and my mom would take me to cards shows when Larry Fritsch had all the goodies. I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy that knows how to outfox and trap coyotes and I enjoy matching wits and killing big Whitetail Bucks who have a superior sense of sight and smell.

I bought the card because I simply love the fact that it is a HOF Musial and a fantastic image of him and that it is an extraordinary 66 year old example that made it through all the pitfalls from antiquated manufacturing/distribution and dodged the bullets of kid handling, bike spokes, tape, thumb tacks, and the list goes on to become a PSA 10.

I'm not a flipper, set builder, registry collector, or a Flip Chaser.

My collection consists of mostly Rookies but also some special non-Rookies plus vintage unopened. Baseball, Football, Basketball and Hockey. And a few non-sports. I respect all cards from PSA 1 to PSA 10 and respect all collectors.

This is my very first and only Musial and have been patiently waiting for a special one for a number of years since I got back into collecting. I may not own another Musial.

I may or may not sell my valuable collection some day. Hopefully some of the extra special one's like the Musial will be passed down.

All in all I really like and appreciate the card not only because it is Musial but because of all its attributes and yes for sure because it is a PSA 10.

Do I wish I could have got it for less?? Heck yeah, but I'd be kicking myself today if I put a top bid in of $15K.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:16 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Congrats! It's a beautiful card in any condition...
Old 04-12-2018, 02:18 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFFDAH View Post
For the record I was the winning bidder. I am not stupid nor naïve. I graduated from college Cum Laude and own/run a multi-million $ company that sells into major retailers across the USA. I collected as a kid in the early 80's and my mom would take me to cards shows when Larry Fritsch had all the goodies. I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy that knows how to outfox and trap coyotes and I enjoy matching wits and killing big Whitetail Bucks who have a superior sense of sight and smell.

I bought the card because I simply love the fact that it is a HOF Musial and a fantastic image of him and that it is an extraordinary 66 year old example that made it through all the pitfalls from antiquated manufacturing/distribution and dodged the bullets of kid handling, bike spokes, tape, thumb tacks, and the list goes on to become a PSA 10.

My collection consists of mostly Rookies but also some special non-Rookies plus vintage unopened. Baseball, Football, Basketball and Hockey. And a few non-sports. I respect all cards from PSA 1 to PSA 10 and respect all collectors.

This is my very first and only Musial and have been patiently waiting for a special one for a number of years since I got back into collecting. I may not own another Musial.

I may or may not sell my valuable collection some day. Hopefully some of the extra special one's like the Musial will be passed down.

All in all I really like and appreciate the card not only because it is Musial but because of all its attributes and yes for sure because it is a PSA 10.

Do I wish I could have got it for less?? Heck yeah, but I'd be kicking myself today if I put a top bid in of $15K.
First welcome to the board. Secondly we should run some Yotes. I am selfish on the Bucks though. I am guessing you are in the Dakotas/Wisconsin/ or MN based on your name?

It is your money to spend however. It is also your collection. As stated before I do not feel that the card you paid for is the card you got in that holder. To each their own though!

Member since 2009
Old 04-12-2018, 03:02 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Quote:
As stated before I do not feel that the card you paid for is the card you got in that holder. To each their own though!
Can you recap what you mean by this??
Old 04-12-2018, 03:03 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:

Congrats. I am glad you bought a card that you love. I think it is Stan The Man's most beautiful issue.

Last edited by orly57; 04-12-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:13 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
Can you recap what you mean by this??
What? You need me to say that I think the card is altered and unworthy of a grade 10?

I guess I did that already in earlier post

Member since 2009

Last edited by T205 GB; 04-12-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:37 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Nice.. I really do think this one of the more beautiful cards out there, in general.
Thanks! And totally agree, not only in general but otherwise specific to a fabulous postwar set full of great looking cards.

Last edited by Paul S; 04-12-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:45 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Quote:
What? You need me to say that I think the card is altered and unworthy of a grade 10?

I guess I did that already in earlier post
So you, sitting there in front of a computer, looking at a two dimensional scan, can see all of that, and see it better than PSA?

That's not an insult, just reiterating the facts as you see them.

Last edited by luciobar1980; 04-12-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:54 PM
pete ullman

Quote:

Congrats...and UFFDAH is right! As long as you're happy...that's all that matters. No doubt it's a gorgeous card...didn't mean to call you stupid...I like others here just think its ridiculous the prices some high grade examples command when the difference esthetically is not visible to the human eye...or most graders on any given day.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

I have no idea about this card, but quite a few big ticket 10s are 9s that were brought in at shows.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:29 PM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

Quote:
So you, sitting there in front of a computer, looking at a two dimensional scan, can see all of that, and see it better than PSA?

He's not saying he can see better from his computer and is better than any TPG. This is the sharpest '52 Musial out there and has one noticeable concern, at least to him and I. One of the attributes of the '52 Musial is a rough cut on one or both sides. This one has razor sharp sides with no paper pull to be seen. But that's just me, I'd question an OPC Gretzky 10 w/o a rough cut.

I really hope it is unaltered because this the best Musial and well worth the 28K, congrats.

Last edited by PiratesWS1979; 04-12-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:41 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:

If it quacks like a duck... spare me the issue. I am not the only one to see it. I also can tell you from the scan that the factory cut is not on that card. I don’t need to hold it to see the obvious that it’s over graded. I don’t give 2 sh!ts if he or anyone else feels “insulted” by my opinion. He is happy with his buy and that’s all that matters. Chalk me up as a “hater” because I can’t afford that card or whatever. It’s not your fight or argument so let sleeping dogs lie.

If the owner wants anything from me he can PM me and we can chat via email or phone. I have no issues explaining anything I see and I am sure other members feel the same way. This board protects the hobby as much as it enjoys it. That’s why it’s like a family here and why so many issues are brought to light. We protect one another and if you think that’s jealousy, insults, slander, libel, or anything else then I must be....what every you say I am.

Member since 2009
Old 04-12-2018, 05:56 PM
St@n Go.len

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
I'm not sure Musial is getting respect here; a PSA FLIP is getting the respect here. That's what I think Pete was referring to when he said it was stupid. I agree that we should not attack other collectors for buying whatever they want, but (Pete correct me if I'm wrong here) I think he was referring to the practice of paying insane amounts for a flip. If you shoved Peter's psa 7 in that 10 holder, the guy still would have bought it for 28k. Thats the Problem. Pete isn't mocking fellow CARD collectors; he's addressing the logic of collecting FLIPS.

I think there is a fine line between insulting fellow collectors and having an educated discussion on a baseball card forum about how wise it is to spend multiple thousands of dollars on a card because of the holder it is in (see the black swamp find thread). Use of the word "stupid" may cross that line, but that's Pete's opinion. Part of the purpose of our forum is to share opinions. I would bet the buyer has a Musial registry and needed the 10. Good for him. He's got the money for it and he needs it to improve his registry. Nothing wrong with that. Problem is that we know that card could be broken out, resubmitted, and get a 9. Then we must ask "is the CARD worth 28k?" At the end of the day, if high grade Musials is what that collector collects, then God bless him. He chose a hell of a player. But do not be mistaken. A PSA 10 holder got the respect here, not the Hall of Famer the card depicts.
Hilarious. You are paying for the number, not the card. Thats why you can debate the merits of a card all you want, but in the end it's a 10 by some guy in psa. His buddy working in the cubical next to him may call it a 9. In the end you pay for it, or not. Thats what grading has done to the hobby. Among other very good things im not slamming grading altogether, but see it for what it is, you pay for the number.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2018, 08:02 PM
UFFDAH

Ultimately it doesn't matter to me what T205 GB thinks of this card or any other card. I'm not saying that as an attack just that it doesn't matter to me and I stay the course on what works successfully for me.

My confidence lies in PSA and PWCC who have earned my and many other collectors trust. I review most of my PWCC card targets including the Musial with Brent before I pull the trigger with a bid and have the utmost trust in his opinion. My best bump of a PWCC purchase is a 58' Jim Brown from an 8 to an 8.5 so my confidence and trust is VERY HIGH.

Anyways it will be a great card and a mini Mona Lisa. I love that its Musial, I love the image, the color, clarity, centering, edges, corners etc. The back is icing on the cake. It will be an appreciated card and feel fortunate to be able to buy it.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ultimately it doesn't matter to me what T205 GB thinks of this card or any other card.
smart man
Old 04-12-2018, 08:12 PM
Matt

Quote:
Ultimately it doesn't matter to me what T205 GB thinks of this card or any other card. I'm not saying that as an attack just that it doesn't matter to me and I stay the course on what works successfully for me.

My confidence lies in PSA and PWCC who have earned my and many other collectors trust. I review most of my PWCC card targets including the Musial with Brent before I pull the trigger with a bid and have the utmost trust in his opinion. My best bump of a PWCC purchase is a 58' Jim Brown from an 8 to an 8.5 so my confidence and trust is VERY HIGH.

Anyways it will be a great card and a mini Mona Lisa. I love that its Musial, I love the image, the color, clarity, centering, edges, corners etc. The back is icing on the cake. It will be an appreciated card and feel fortunate to be able to buy it.
Way to go, man. You saw a card you liked, it happens to cost a bundle, and you're successful enough to bring it home. Rock on.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Maybe it's just me, but if I'm looking for an opinion on what to pay for a card, I am likely to ask someone other than the seller.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:43 PM
Randy Trierweiler

Absolutely gorgeous Musial card.

From a Pure Cardinal Collector that appreciates the beauty.

Congrats UFFDAH
Old 04-12-2018, 09:06 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:

Great card! Congratulations! Looks like a PSA 10 to me.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:29 PM
N.ate A.dams

Just wanted to chime in and state that the cliché counter for this thread is at 783. I believe Pete is in the lead with about 13 in one post.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:47 PM
UFFDAH

Peter - sellers like Brent, Steve Hart and some others are straight shooters. They build successful businesses because they are trustworthy. No different than my company taking care of our customers/consumers because we stand behind our product, you have to for repeat long term business. Brent does not hesitate to tell me to pass on one of his auction cards if he feels I should be patient and wait for a little stronger example knowing my goals and tastes. Sometimes my itchy trigger does not want to listen to him but I almost always do.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

In your opinion. I would call you by your name, but you haven't given it.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-12-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:58 PM
UFFDAH

Peter - sellers like Brent, Steve Hart and some others are straight shooters. They build successful businesses because they are trustworthy. No different than my company taking care of our customers/consumers because we stand behind our product, you have to for repeat long term business. Brent does not hesitate to tell me to pass on one of his auction cards if he feels I should be patient and wait for a little stronger example knowing my goals and tastes. Sometimes my itchy trigger does not want to listen to him but I almost always do.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

You seem to have repeated your post there?

Old 04-12-2018, 10:07 PM
UFFDAH

Sorry bout the double post not sure how that happened!!
Old 04-12-2018, 10:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

I thought maybe you were repeating for emphasis.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:11 PM
UFFDAH

Lol. I'm all thumbs on this cell phone.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:23 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Brent does not hesitate to tell me to pass on one of his auction cards if he feels I should be patient and wait for a little stronger example knowing my goals and tastes.
Wait...PWCC tells people not to bid on cards he is trying to auction? I am sure the consigner would love to know that. That doesn't sound very ethical.

Obviously, the consignments that PWCC tells people not to bid on should be labeled as "PWCC low-end."

Last edited by Bored5000; 04-13-2018 at 04:08 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:36 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Wait...PWCC tells people not to bid on cards he is trying to auction? I am sure the consigner would love to know that. That doesn't sound very ethical.

Obviously, the consignments that PWCC tells people not to bid on should be labeled as "PWCC low-end."

Didn't someone mentioned he tells them "just throw in a bid, you won't win it"

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-13-2018, 04:50 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post

As an auctioneer if I have a regular customer who has specific needs/wants and he asks whether I think a particular auction lot will meet those needs I, of course, am going to be honest, even if the answer is "no that lot really won't make you happy." There's nothing unethical about the truth, and I don't feel that's in conflict to my fiduciary duty to my consignor.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-13-2018, 04:55 AM
Robert Williams

I think a lot of people fail to realize that PWCC is just a platform, like Ebay is. These aren't Brent's cards. You do realize that? These are other people's cards. They can just as easily sell them on Ebay themselves just like Brent can. Instead they ship them to Brent because he gets higher prices than everyone else. Think of the novel "The Pied Piper".....sorta the same thing. PWCC gives great service, I get that. A lot of sellers give great service. The sellers/buyers who are cheats/cons get quickly weeded out on this board. I think every member under the sun on Net54 knows about battlefield and all their reincarnations.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 04-13-2018 at 04:56 AM.