NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 02:12 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The Spiders would be cool.

Bonus point to anyone who know what movie that image comes from.

Last edited by drcy; 01-29-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
The Spiders would be cool.

Bonus point to anyone who know what movie that image comes from.
Like OJ, I'll take a stab at it. Tarantula (1955)?
Old 01-29-2018, 05:14 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Mesa of Lost Women (1953). My all-time favorite of the 'So Bad They're Good' vintage horror films (And I've seen all the Ed Wood films).

Last edited by drcy; 01-29-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:42 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey2007 View Post
As an American Indian I am glad to see the Chief Wahoo symbol go as iconic as it is to many. I am not opposed to them keeping the name Indians if they should consider getting rid of that to. If they were smart they would reach out to the local tribes in the area and see what they can come up in terms of a symbol that is non-offensive and represents the local tribes of the area. Something they should have done long ago. I think that would be a win-win for both the tribes and the team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post
I don't see why this is so difficult to grasp either - just treat all groups of people with respect-

These pretty much sum it up for me. It wont solve the world's problems, but its a step in the right direction. The sky wont fall when the change is made, either.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:01 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section103 View Post
These pretty much sum it up for me. It wont solve the world's problems, but its a step in the right direction. The sky wont fall when the change is made, either.
Agreed. Long overdue.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:21 PM
Kyle May

I challenge everyone complaining about Chief Wahoo to actually do something for these oppressed Native Americans you apparently care so much about. Protest the government for putting them on reservations, protest to get them their land back. Hell, leave this country since it belonged to them before the white man came along. Take action, other than getting rid of a logo designed to pay tribute to Indians, to clear your conscious and rid yourself of whatever guilt you may feel for some reason.

Otherwise, you're choosing to be offended, and for some reason you think the world should shift/change to fit your beliefs. That's exactly what this is about. It's incredible how little credit you're giving those who oppose you. What did they do to make you believe they are so heartless for liking Chief Wahoo? What if they just choose to not look for something offensive? What if they simply view Chief Wahoo for what it is: a fun-loving, smiling Indian logo created to pay homage to Native American heritage, Cleveland baseball history, and Louis Sockalexis? Just take a second and think about that. Why do SO many people like him if he's supposedly that offensive? Why don't you just not support the Indians?

Now my team that I've grown up rooting for, the one that has had Chief Wahoo since the '40s, chose to cower to Manfred and the minority. I now lose the chance to see Chief Wahoo on the National Stage. Do you know how proud I and so many others were to see that smiling Indian in the World Series in 2016? I was a baby, but I don't think I've ever heard a story about people bitchin' and moanin' in the '90s when the Jake was sold out game after game for nearly a decade, Chief Wahoo on EVERYONE's person. I own ONE tshirt with the Block C, and that's because it has an American Flag in it (is that offensive because we took this land from he Native Americans?).

Additionally, you can't marginalize vintagetoppsguy for bringing up the Irish mascot for both the Celtics and Notre Dame. That's hypocritical. Or how about the following...

San Francisco Giants = offensive to little people
Minnesota Twins = offensive to only children, triplets, quintuplets, etc.
NY Yankees = offensive to the Dutch (didn't know that) and southerners; hell, as a northerner, I'm not sure I like being referred to as a Yankee
Tampa Bay Rays = what about the rest of the shark family?
Chicago Cubs = offensive to grown bears, plus the bear is brown; what about black bears, polar bears, etc.?
White Sox & Red Sox = what about blue sox, grey socks, black socks, green socks, yellow socks, etc.?
Kansas City Royals = offensive to people who aren't of royal blood
Oakland A's = an elephant on a circus ball is offensive, especially considering the Ringling Bros Circus or whatever was discontinued to people getting offended
Detroit Tigers = what about the rest of the cat family?
Philly Phanatic = what about lethargic fans?
Colorado Rockies = what about the Appalachian Mountains?
Arizona Diamondbacks = really, referring to rattlesnakes as diamondbacks... that's pretty offensive to them
Cardinals & Orioles = what about other birds?

I'll stick to just the MLB, and won't bring up the other offensive names in sports; I'm sure if I look hard enough, I could find something to be offended about with every single nickname/logo in sports. And how ridiculous the above seem, is how ridiculous the argument against Chief Wahoo is with very few of the outspoken minority against Chief Wahoo being Native American (from what I've seen/heard).

Keep the Chief. You'll see me an thousands of others at games next year sporting nothing but Chief Wahoo gear.

And another sick angle to this: Manfred probably threatened to take away the 2019 All Star Game if Dolan kept Chief Wahoo.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 01-29-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

I am reminded of one of the most pathetic sights I ever have seen -- Jane Fonda doing the tomahawk chop.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:40 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Basically the equivalent to some mocking horrible black stereotype character from the 1930-40 with huge lips and bulging eyes. Hard to imagine there can even be a discussion on this one.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-29-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:47 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Basically the equivalent to some mocking horrible black stereotype character from the 1930-40 with huge lips and bulging eyes. Hard to imagine there can even be a discussion on this one.
Furthest thing from it. Those depictions were malicious.

By the way, the Indians can't go with the Block C anymore. The Block C was also the logo of the Indianapolis Clowns. Talk about offensive.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 01-29-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:51 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Exactly Steve. For some reason, people think racism only applies to African Americans. As if only they should be protected from epithets and stereotypes. As if they were the only ones who have been subject to racism in this country. I think that the term "redskin" is every bit as racist as the "n word" that we can't even utter, much less name a professional sports team after. The Indian caricature was shameful. And by the way, I can't stand political correctness. Its proponents have been the the proverbial "boy who cried wolf." When truly disturbing issues like this are raised, they are treated with an eye-roll because we are all so sick of it. But this one, and the redskins, in my opinion, have real merit.

Last edited by orly57; 01-29-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:43 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Calls to mind the old Sambo's restaurants.........
Old 01-29-2018, 06:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

David -- here is a link to the speech. LBJ clearly had evolved, as he says himself.

http://www.historyplace.com/speeches/johnson.htm

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:30 AM
keith janosky

Were all getting to be like robots. Everyone has to do and say the right thing without offending anyone otherwise they'll protest. Everyone has there own view on things in life as it should be. If I don't like something doesn't mean the other guy has to agree or if I like something doesn't mean everyone has to but that is what society wants anymore. Everyone is on edge to make sure whatever they say doesn't hurt anyones fellings. We're all different and should be, that is what makes us unique.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:01 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post

Additionally, you can't marginalize vintagetoppsguy for bringing up the Irish mascot for both the Celtics and Notre Dame. That's hypocritical. Or how about the following...

NY Yankees = offensive to the Dutch (didn't know that) and southerners; hell, as a northerner, I'm not sure I like being referred to as a Yankee
Chicago Cubs = offensive to grown bears, plus the bear is brown; what about black bears, polar bears, etc.?
White Sox & Red Sox = what about blue sox, grey socks, black socks, green socks, yellow socks, etc.?
Oakland A's = an elephant on a circus ball is offensive, especially considering the Ringling Bros Circus or whatever was discontinued to people getting offended
Arizona Diamondbacks = really, referring to rattlesnakes as diamondbacks... that's pretty offensive to them
You are seriously trying to equate a logo stereotyping an entire race of people with logos "offensive" to mountain chains or different colored socks or members of the animal kingdom?

That line of argument doesn't do any favors to your defense of Chief Wahoo. That argument is a pretty glaring exhibit that Chief Wahoo is an offensive stereotype that needs to be thrown on the dustbin of history,

Last edited by Bored5000; 01-30-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:07 AM
E®© Eńlø

Location: Home of the 11-Time World Champion St. Louis Cardinals

Just more stupidity from the idiots on the left
Old 01-30-2018, 08:11 AM
Brendan Mullen

How long before the Rebels and Running Rebels are forced by the left to change their names too?
Old 01-30-2018, 08:35 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
I challenge everyone complaining about Chief Wahoo to actually do something for these oppressed Native Americans you apparently care so much about. Protest the government for putting them on reservations, protest to get them their land back. Hell, leave this country since it belonged to them before the white man came along. Take action, other than getting rid of a logo designed to pay tribute to Indians, to clear your conscious and rid yourself of whatever guilt you may feel for some reason.

Otherwise, you're choosing to be offended, and for some reason you think the world should shift/change to fit your beliefs. That's exactly what this is about. It's incredible how little credit you're giving those who oppose you. What did they do to make you believe they are so heartless for liking Chief Wahoo? What if they just choose to not look for something offensive? What if they simply view Chief Wahoo for what it is: a fun-loving, smiling Indian logo created to pay homage to Native American heritage, Cleveland baseball history, and Louis Sockalexis? Just take a second and think about that. Why do SO many people like him if he's supposedly that offensive? Why don't you just not support the Indians?

Now my team that I've grown up rooting for, the one that has had Chief Wahoo since the '40s, chose to cower to Manfred and the minority. I now lose the chance to see Chief Wahoo on the National Stage. Do you know how proud I and so many others were to see that smiling Indian in the World Series in 2016? I was a baby, but I don't think I've ever heard a story about people bitchin' and moanin' in the '90s when the Jake was sold out game after game for nearly a decade, Chief Wahoo on EVERYONE's person. I own ONE tshirt with the Block C, and that's because it has an American Flag in it (is that offensive because we took this land from he Native Americans?).

I'll stick to just the MLB, and won't bring up the other offensive names in sports; I'm sure if I look hard enough, I could find something to be offended about with every single nickname/logo in sports. And how ridiculous the above seem, is how ridiculous the argument against Chief Wahoo is with very few of the outspoken minority against Chief Wahoo being Native American (from what I've seen/heard).

Keep the Chief. You'll see me an thousands of others at games next year sporting nothing but Chief Wahoo gear.

And another sick angle to this: Manfred probably threatened to take away the 2019 All Star Game if Dolan kept Chief Wahoo.
Let me make sure I'm following your reasoning here.

If Indians is offensive to Indians and Irish is offensive to the Irish, then the other names must be offensive to the groups that they do not refer to. That's so stupid it's brilliant. And yet somehow manages to be the most reasonable component of your argument.
Closed Thread