NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-04-2017, 03:37 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I’ll say it if no one else will

Net54

My father didn’t give a damn about cards or baseball.

My mother threw out my childhood collection from the fifties.

My cousin who might have been a positive influence died prematurely.

My wallet tells me that a host of dealers had a negative impact.

Leon, if I’m wrong about the positive impact of this site, I gather that everyone who posted above me in this thread disagrees with me, since Net54 hasn’t been mentioned once.
Hi Frank
Thanks for the kind words. It keeps me involved and is my honor and pleasure. I am very appreciative of all of the folks who enjoy the forum.
LL

Last edited by Leon; 12-04-2017 at 03:53 PM. Reason: more succinct
Old 12-04-2017, 04:02 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
All three of the Halls from Halls Nostalgia.

I moved to Arlington in late 77, and asked a couple kids about older cards. Discovered there was a full time shop right in town!

So I went, and started hanging out there after school maybe 2-3 days a week. They'd occasionally set stuff aside for me, usually totally wrecked stuff at amazing prices. Beckley T206 with a huge tear and tape, but only 20 cents. A Sweet Caporal pin, also badly damaged, but free. I did sorting/set collating for them in 78 and 79, and the damaged stuff cheap got me buying older stuff. Of course, I had widely varied interests and decided against buying some stuff, but did buy other stuff. (Wish I'd gone for even one of the 33 Ruths they handed me saying "you should buy this, it's $X " )

Being there so much I got a few early chances at collections that came in. Got a few poor R300s once, I'd just read the book of lists that had them as some of the rarest cards and a small collection of beaters had a few - actually had to call mom to bring me the money for them.
Another time someone brought in a huge box of RC cola cans and asked if they were interested. They said no but that kid is and pointed me out. So I got most of both sets plus a bunch of the football ones for $6....Another call to mom...Hi mom, I'm at halls and - "do you need money AGAIN?! - No, just a ride for me and a big box of cans.

Come to think of it, Mom put up with a lot of collecting, so I think she's got to be on the list too.
I also went to Hall’s Nostalgia as a kid (mid 80’s). To me, it was the greatest place on earth. Used to BEG my mother to take my brother and me there. I can still remember the layout of the store and the rotating display case in the corner (filled with cards I could only dream of owning). Pulled a Mattingly RC out of a pack there in 1984. Will never forget it.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:33 PM
James

I grew up in a small south Texas town that had two sports card shops in the 80's. I would say the gentleman (An old Navy Vet) who ran one of the shops got me into collecting. Me and my younger brother loved going into that shop and seeing all the vintage cards he had for sale. He would spend the time telling us about the players from the 30's-60's that he grew up watching and admired. In high school I would work at the shop during the summer so the owner could go on vacation. Fun times.

https://sportscardalbum.com/u/gemmin...seball#!page=2
Old 12-04-2017, 05:44 PM
Banned

Default Cory Snyder "GUNSMOKE" - My Brother Shane

Worst trade ever by my brother. We were 10 or so, he had a cigar box full of cards I had a Cory Snyder Gunsmoke Cleveland Indians poster. The trade of a lifetime. I looked up most of the Cards AND Got a Walter Payton rookie and 2nd year as well As Steve Largent. Not even worth grading today, HOWEVER, the best cards that I own today by far.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:54 PM
Bill T.

For me it was Wayne Miller in Columbia, MD. He had a single display case in the coin shop I worked in. He seemed to have an endless supply of pre-war, from boxes of T206s to runs of programs from the 1800s. The core of my current collection is still the items I bought from Wayne.

Bill
Old 12-04-2017, 06:32 PM

Oddly enough in my case it was my mother who supported my hobby early on. She is a Yankees fan going back to the 50's. She used to collect cards as a kid. I am actually going to a show with her this weekend.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:09 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

What got me back into card collecting in the early 90's was a card shop owner my friend and I referred to as the John Gotti of baseball cards. He was mean as all heck, had ridiculous prices (Dean times 5) on everything displayed, and to top it off all of his display cases sat in the sun all day, every day. The one absolutely faded card I remember to this day was a 1961 high number Warren Spahn All Star that was priced at $100. This was probably in 1992 or thereabouts, and he was completely firm on his prices. He wouldn't even think of negotiating. It was so faded (like everything around it) that it looked like it had been bleached like some Hollywood bimbo's hair. Eventually (surprise surprise) he went out of business, which made us chuckle. But the shop was within walking distance, so it got me interested in all of the old stuff again.
http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/elmjack44/library/

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel
Old 12-04-2017, 10:23 PM
Kevin Cummings

This might sound a little odd, but author David Nemec gave me a focus for my collection I never had before I read his books. The way he presented the game of baseball in the 19th century it was both hugely entertaining and very informational. Once I found out that I could actually get baseball cards of many of the players I read about in his books, I was hooked. Then all I needed to do was actually acquire the cards!

Jay Miller was far and away the one guy who, despite being at the top of the Old Judge heap, was never too busy to answer questions from a neophyte Old Judge collector such as me. He has also been my #1 provider of new material over the past 20 years. For that, I am very thankful.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:10 AM

Kevin-That is very nice of you—thanks. I can truly say that the flow of information has been both ways, for which I am grateful.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:11 AM
Mark

Jim Elder of Odessa, Florida

I never met the man, but growing up in Nebraska in the mid 1970's there were ZERO options for even seeing vintage baseball cards, let alone owning one.

Somehow I got a catalog from Jim Elder and there they were. Listings for Old Bowman, Goudey, T206, Topps cards...Pacific Coast League Popcorn cards (whatever those were).

My finances were extremely small so I chose wisely and could only afford commons. I still have the 1952 Bowman Johnny Wyrostek and the 1941 Goudey Harry "Gunboat" Gumpert cards I ordered from him

1951 Bowman Set (45 cards needed)