NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-17-2017, 05:00 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Since Phillyteamhater is spouting an opinion, she needs to have her name posted as per forum rules

And, that is an interesting dichotomy about crowds with autograph guests and more vintage dealer based show. Yes, with a lot of autograph guests you will draw more people but then the vintage collectors may well then stay home.

And if you want the dealers to do well, most of them will tell you they prefer a nice crowd with 1-2 auto guests at most shows but not an onslaught. The National is a bit of an exception since the Autograph Pavilion is totally removed from the dealer tables.

Regards
Rich

Just my two cents, Chantilly was a veritable autograph factory, and, as a vintage dealer the best show I've done. I don't think the two ideas are incompatible.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 02-24-2017, 05:05 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Just my two cents, Chantilly was a veritable autograph factory, and, as a vintage dealer the best show I've done. I don't think the two ideas are incompatible.
Agreed. Having moved from collecting only cards to only autographs back in the mid 90's (slowly moving back to cards) I think in this day and age the promoter should want to appeal to a broad swath of the collecting population. I know collectors who only collect cards, others who only collect autographs, and some who collect both.

Bringing in B and C list actors brings in another type of collector. Personally, I like this new trend as long as there is a baseball tie-in. Drier Brown will be at Chantilly again, and he is a great guy (no, I am not his agent). I am surprised that more female soccer players are not at Chantilly. Chastain, Hamm, Solo and Wambach crushed when they were scheduled to sign. Those type of players bring in a different crowd.

I think one of the things that angers dealers is when the spillover from the autograph crowd blocks potential customers from reaching their table. I understand that concern. The fear of the autograph collector is missing out on the guest, which is why most collectors congregate in the autograph area. Most venues have poor PA systems. A problem with autograph tickets is the tiered pricing (flat, oversize, equipment, art etc.). Each tier starts at 1. So initially, when tickets 1-25 are called the number of collectors wanting to be let in is 25 times the amount of tiers. (granted some collectors could have multiples of a given tier but you get the drift). Easy fix, start the first tier of tickets at 1, the second tier at 200, third tier at 300 and so on and so on. The fear of missing out on a guest is magnified due to poor PA systems. Chantilly does a great job of letting the collector know where each signer is at number wise. I walk the show floor until my tickets numbers are called. Other promoters and venues have poor PA systems and signage that there is no way the collector is going to chance straying too far from the autograph area. Saying that the PA drowns out conversation on the show floor is just north of ridiculous.

Last edited by Huck; 02-24-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:29 PM
Rich Klein

I have written about this in the past but at one Albany show with Mickey Mantle, I actually asked the promoter to put me as near the auto line as possible.

Why? Well I was basically setting up at the show for Baseball hobby news and did not bring many cards with me so the purpose was to talk to collectors and schmooze them while they were waiting in line.

A couple of dealers got all upset at the auto line (and I suspect at me for where I was -- although I had no real cards at that show) and demanded Ed Keetz move the auto line away from the show floor as that was interfering with dealer sales.

You know. those smug dealers did even less business the rest of the weekend (as did I) and why? Well instead of using being near the auto line an opportunity to talk to people, instead they wanted to deal with the few "real collectors' who attended.

Yes I know this was 30 years ago but the lesson remains the same. If people are coming for a reason. find a way to talk to them instead of limiting your audience to a few people.

regards
Rich
Old 02-28-2017, 09:12 AM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
Saying that the PA drowns out conversation on the show floor is just north of ridiculous.
I have absolutely experienced this. At the Chicago National a couple years ago I was trying to talk to Chuck Blue (can't remember what booth number he was), but we had to stop several times because we could not hear each other over the PA. It was a bit out of control when they were doing some breaks or whatever was going on.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 03-01-2017, 09:07 AM

Default Show

I sat out the last two or three shows at Valley Forge, but I'll give this one a go. Either Saturday or Sunday morning. Look forward to hopefully running into a few Net54 members.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:16 AM
Scott Russell

come say hi at booth 710
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 03-01-2017, 10:18 AM

I might give this show one more chance, because sometimes you just gotta say it....

Last edited by Jewish-collector; 03-01-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:37 AM
Ted Zanidakis

After a 6-year absence from this Philly show in Valley Forge, I am setting up at this weekend's show.
I am looking forward to seeing some of you and "talking BB" and cards at the show.....Friday, Saturday & Sunday.

I will have for sale cards from 1887 thru to the 1970's. With 200+ T206 cards (stars & commons). Including some
tough backs (AB 460, red HINDU, PIEDMONT 460/42, and UZIT).

You can meet and greet me at booth # 412.

Have a great weekend.

TED Z