NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-10-2016, 08:34 PM
Michael

If you go to Pauls site
http://www.signedt206.com/other-peop...eadball-cards/
the T205 and CJ marqard (one on the right) are mine and the CJ exhibits the signature of what you say is the wife signing. I am not disagreeing at all. The CJ one always bothered me. Hope you are wrong
Old 05-10-2016, 09:22 PM
Paul

Okay, but the D in Marquard on your CJ is consistent with all the others. I think it's fine - would get authenticated by JSA and PSA/DNA and SGC - and is more likely than not his hand.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-10-2016, 10:58 PM
Jeff P0tter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
If you go to Pauls site
http://www.signedt206.com/other-peop...eadball-cards/
the T205 and CJ marqard (one on the right) are mine and the CJ exhibits the signature of what you say is the wife signing. I am not disagreeing at all. The CJ one always bothered me. Hope you are wrong
Hi Michael, would it be possible to post a larger scan of your CJ (or maybe Paul has one)? It is hard to see from the smaller size on the link. I would love to see it clearly. And I just want be to clear that I am NOT definitively saying that I think Marquard's wife (or someone) signed these ones with the "stick" R at the start, it's a theory I have been looking into for over a year now and what better place to discuss it... and perhaps prove, disprove, or just learn more about his autograph as it may not be something that can be definitive either way without much more compelling evidence. What I do feel strongly about is the T205 I posted above and the index card came back in the mail at the same time from the same autograph request, and to me they are clearly not in the same hand, medium aside. I find it fascinating and it's a subject I will continue to have interest in. I hit a dry spell in research and figured it was time to ask others to take a look at what I found so far and see what else is out there.

Last edited by ATP; 05-10-2016 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:39 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Look at the 'M' in the last name. The signatures with the "stick" R have the exact same M as the wife's signature on other documents. Rube's 'M' looks completely different and in my opinion does not match the M's on the stick R signatures.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:23 AM
Michael

marquard 14.jpg
is this good enough? otherwise I have to go to the vault. opinions?
Old 05-11-2016, 08:34 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Does anyone think after 40 years of signing t206s, that Rube didn't know the length of his own name? I'd think any that are not signed on the same plane are wife signed, which has been almost 100% of the examplars with the straight R

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-11-2016, 09:18 AM
Jeff P0tter

Here's an example of what I would presume is probably near the end of Rube's long life. Note that he still makes an attempt at making the first "R" all in one circular motion, and connects the R to the u fluidly without lifting the pen. And then there's the M...

I was a notary for ten years and have witnessed more signatures than most would in ten lifetimes. Sometimes I notarized the same document every month for the same person for many years. Their signature would change over time, that's is a fact known to all of us, it happens with our own name. But, one thing that always seemed to be a constant and amazed me was how it started, and to some degree how it ended. The middle changed all the time, letters shortened, letters omitted, form falls off, even slant may change some, but they would pretty much always start it the same way for the first letter or two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rubelate.jpg (75.3 KB, 313 views)

Last edited by ATP; 05-11-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:32 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
Attachment 230796
is this good enough? otherwise I have to go to the vault. opinions?
In my opinion, this is the wife...look at the M, The stick R and the q.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:21 AM
Jeff P0tter

Here is one other example of a "Stick R" style Marquard and the same card signed with what I would consider his normal signature. Again, I have yet to see the "Stick R" style on anything but a card. This is a good comparison reference because these TCMA cards weren't out on the market until later in 1974 I believe, so we are looking at roughly only a five or six year window that both could be signed. To me, again, these clearly do not appear to be in the same hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600stick.jpg (76.9 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (78.1 KB, 297 views)
Old 05-11-2016, 10:57 AM
Paul

How about how he changed the "P" to start "Phone" and "Pikesville"?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MarquardPR.jpg (12.3 KB, 301 views)

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-11-2016, 11:14 AM
Jeff P0tter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
How about how he changed the "P" to start "Phone" and "Pikesville"?
Interesting, thanks for taking the time to post that. It's hard to see for certain but it still looks like it was completed with one fluid stroke (up and down vs circular), and no lifting of the pen for the top.

Paul you have probably looked at more signed Marquard cards than anyone out there I so certainly respect your opinion and I really appreciate the active discussion on this one. What are your thoughts (I would love to hear from some of the other autograph pros on here if they are willing to weigh in as well regarding these) on the two TCMA cards I posted above, that certainly had to be signed pretty close from a time perspective. Do they look like they are in the same hand? To me, they don't at all. Maybe I am just seeing what I want to see because I have been positing this for over a year now, but they just look completely different to me and not something that can be explained away with a letter change or medium...everything looks different. I stick with pointing out the "R" but really it's everything about it.

Last edited by ATP; 05-11-2016 at 11:37 AM. Reason: more info