NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-09-2016, 06:46 PM

Default Just curious if anyone else had the same concern about this card.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1912-T207-Br...vip=true&rt=nc

Specifically the bottom right corner.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:07 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default please don't sell the cow

just from my opinion - no card in hand - but I think it's just an optical illusion only seen in the scan taken of the front. That corner seems to be fine when looked at from the back.
That said - the card doctors are well practiced with sophisticated tools available with which to ply their trade - and people lining up to buy their wares. Getting something altered past a TPG isn't all that tough - especially with multiple submissions going through the black hole of grading - and then they're in.
As an aside - I have returned maybe 2/3 cards over 20 years and had to accept a single return - as it turns out from the esteemed leader of this site - long before he would go on to be king :-)
Well it was around 1994 and I bought a T207 from someone who is now a friend and sometimes national table partner - early base ball collector and dealer Glenn Mechanick. I was 2 years into collecting cards and as I started to educate myself by buying books and listening to dealers. As a result I was now afraid of all the things I was reading and hearing about fakes and alterations - I saw monsters around every corner. I think it was Parsipany(?) - a table with "the old stuff" caught my eye. A quick negotiation with the guy standing smiling behind the table and the card was mine. I was excited to bring my T207 home (my first of it's type) as I was just starting an N/T type card collection of base ball cards. I sat down at my desk, put it under a table lamp and pulled out a magnifier. Oh no! There was significant crazing to the photographic surface and my mind went immediately into panic mode. I figured the surface had cracked as a result of someone cutting the card along the edge and causing something like a shattering. Argh. I've been taken! In a panic I drove back to the show (from Brooklyn) THAT DAY. I warily approached the table as I had no idea how returning the card would go. Glenn stood by quietly listening to me drone on as to my observations and suppositions (I really didn't know very much - still don't - likely it was obvious) and he took the card back without a problem - in fact he thanked me for calling it to his attention.
A few years later we started up a conversation at a show and moved onto a friendship. One of the good things about our hobby. Next time I see him I have to remember to ask if he was just placating me.
Likely there was nothing wrong with the card......
pete ullman

honestly...i dont know about that one brian? it sure is a sharp card!
pete ullman

i agree with the dude...optical illusion!
Old 02-09-2016, 08:21 PM

Not an optical illusion in my opinion.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:43 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default ok :-)

Hard for anyone to make a conclusive determination from a scan of a card in a holder on the interweb - especially one which doesn't seem to have a glaring defect. That's my opinion. Maybe you'll get some other opinions. I hope they are in agreement with you................
Old 02-10-2016, 06:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

to me all of the corners look just about as pointed as the others. I vote not trimmed from the scan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post

Old 02-14-2016, 07:26 PM
pete ullman

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1914-CRACKER...gAAOSwPcVVwroR

how about this? optical illusion?
Old 02-14-2016, 07:44 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Personally I think that one is only wrinkled. '14s are really thin and I have seen that look many times before. Grading is subjective....
Old 02-14-2016, 07:49 PM
T0NY @

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
That CJ looks fine to me. I've seen many rippled and wrinkled like this due to the extreme thin paper they're printed on.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:57 PM
pete ullman

wavy gravy!
Old 02-14-2016, 10:51 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post

I've handled about 100 NM-MT T207s over the years and this one has a cut that is typical of a high-grade example, some TL corner wear notwithstanding. The CJ referenced in this thread also looks fine, just warped, which can happen with this issue.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:08 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-2-count View Post
That CJ looks fine to me. I've seen many rippled and wrinkled like this due to the extreme thin paper they're printed on.
Agreed