NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-14-2015, 09:39 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
do these playoff games seem more emotional then ever....I think I read of the teams remaining someone is going to break a drought of a minimum of 22 years (or more), maybe that's partially why.
I was thinking the same thing Paul. I don't have a dog in this postseason race, but I am enjoying the games more than I have in years. The long drought for all these teams is compelling, and a lot of Stars and young players playing at their best, and compelling story lines: Cubs - enough said; Dodgers - can they win with a $310M payroll or go bust; Mets, Royals and Jays all looking to end a long drought and have many exciting players.

I get the Cub's reaction winning for the first time at Wrigley, but watching the Jays celebrate today you would have thought they had won the WS - I liked it, but I don't recall teams reacting so much over a Division Series win. (I suppose it has a lot to do with the Jays losing the first two games and coming back to win)
Old 10-14-2015, 09:49 PM
Brad Francis

Quote:
Originally Posted by V117collector View Post
Some of you guys sound so bitter it's funny!
From one Canadian Brad to another, and for a break in the action, do you by chance have an extra Pennock or a Hoyt V117??? And any luck with the Stengel? Private message or email is fine.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:15 PM
Ruben

Baseball is a game of tradition and unwritten rules. I think the stare and the bat flip was a bit excessive for the 7th inning. If this was the walk off home run that won the game then i get it.
I think one can be a little more classy in victory.
As to the fans, i get it but dangerous to throw bottles which may seriously injure someone.
I don't know, maybe i am old school lol
Should be a good series
Old 10-14-2015, 11:01 PM
Trevor Hocking

Holy sh!t like baseball was not boring enough the the rest of America besides us old nostalgic farts! Please bring the drama back this post season has been amazing!!!!! Go Dodgers!!!!!!!

This message had been approved by
Trevor Hocking
Old 10-14-2015, 11:45 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
I was thinking the same thing Paul. I don't have a dog in this postseason race, but I am enjoying the games more than I have in years. The long drought for all these teams is compelling, and a lot of Stars and young players playing at their best, and compelling story lines: Cubs - enough said; Dodgers - can they win with a $310M payroll or go bust; Mets, Royals and Jays all looking to end a long drought and have many exciting players.

I get the Cub's reaction winning for the first time at Wrigley, but watching the Jays celebrate today you would have thought they had won the WS - I liked it, but I don't recall teams reacting so much over a Division Series win. (I suppose it has a lot to do with the Jays losing the first two games and coming back to win)
Being a diehard Cub fan since 1968 and having my heart broke so many times, I thought the Cubbies celebration was pretty tame. Especially since they knocked their Arch rival Cardinals out of the post season. They in general showed some class and respect for their opponents and the fans were quite well controlled. If the do win the World Series, might be a little different and I am sure Chicago will erupt. Not holding my breath but I sure do hope to see this celebration and Theo and Maddon will be treated like baseball gods.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:00 AM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
Did anyone watch the Rangers vs Blue Jays and see the classless Jay fans throw beer bottles and cans on the field because the umpires made a correct call. In them throwing bottles on the field and into the lower stands, they were hitting women and children with the bottles.

Then Jose Bautista showing how he has ZERO class also watches his homer for like 5 minutes and throws the bat 30 feet away. Texas choked the game with 3 straight errors.

Hopefully blue jays get swept next round because they and their classless fans don't deserve to move on.
Wow! exaggerate much?

LET'S GO BLUEJAYS!!!
Old 10-15-2015, 12:06 AM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
When did MLB start allowing bottles in the stadiums?
I don't live in Toronto but I have been there on numerous occasions to see the Jays play and I have never seen glass bottles in the stadium. They were aluminium cans and plastic bottles. Regardless, they should not have thrown them onto the field.

Last edited by auggiedoggy; 10-15-2015 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:15 AM
Rob Ruddy

[QUOTE=marvymelvin;1461695]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 View Post
Yeah... but Bautista would have never batted."

Yes you are correct. But we could use the "butterfly effect" all the way back to the beginning..I.E. if the first pitch was a ball instead of strike, or player "a" doesn't spit tobacco...then...then...etc.

If Elvis hadn't dropped the ball....twice...but he did...

Every loss in the history of baseball is a choke by the losing team...Not sure how Texas choking takes away from the win by the Jays. Sorry...three straight wins...

Did anyone see that Hot Dog served at Globe life..three feet long topped with a pound of chili and a pound of onions served in a box with handles...I have been hungry ever since...gotta love ballpark hot dogs...

Back to my hockey references, throwing beer bottles in Toronto is not a Canadian thing...at hockey games we just throw weird stuff like teddy bears, hats and squids...yes squids...and then a fist fight breaks out on the ice...The beautiful goonery that is hockey can still be civil...again bad individual fans in Toronto tonight, but mostly civil...
The squid (octopus actually) toss is a Detroit thing. In Toronto they toss Leaf jersey's on the ice.

Last edited by auggiedoggy; 10-15-2015 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:16 AM
Rob Ruddy

[QUOTE=edjs;1461700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvymelvin View Post

Correction, Brad, it is Octopus, not squid. And you forgot rubber rats.
The rubber rats was a Florida thing. The Panther fans used to toss hundreds of little rubber rats on the ice and it wasted too much time cleaning up the ice surface until the league got involved and banned this activity.

Last edited by auggiedoggy; 10-15-2015 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:36 AM

Blue Jays haters in this thread are blowing my mind. They were down 0-2 and then won 3 straight, despite nearly losing the series on a dopey fluke. So when Bautista is up in the big moment (after the Rangers make 3 errors) and hits his homer, that's going to be an emotional moment. You can't blame him for taking it in.

Also, since the original poster is a Yankees fan (as am I), I find it hard to believe you can call the Jays fans classless for throwing things on the field. At the old stadium, every time fans didn't like what happened they showered the field level seats in beer from the upper deck. Hell I was at a Rangers / Yankees playoff game back in the day where they took a guy's Rangers hat off his head, lit it on fire, and then threw it from the bleachers.

Last edited by packs; 10-15-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:47 AM
pete ullman

to me...a lifelong yankees fan...bautista did nothing wrong. what's wrong with baseball is this old fuddy duddy mentality that celebrations are not permissable...bla bla bla! He didn't respect the game?

To me respecting the game is playing it hard...within the rules...NOT cheating...NOT electively injuring others...NOT bitching about everything.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:51 AM
Dan Paradis

First of all, I'm not a Blue Jays fan and couldn't care less who wins once the Red Sox and Yankees are out of it.

As others have mentioned, isn't baseball boring enough and now we're asking players to stop showing any emotion? The Blue Jays were upset about the previous call, even though the umps made the correct call they were still fired up.

Here's what I would say if it was my son pitching or playing infield in that game:

You don't like the opposing teams showing off? How about not allowing a home run or making errors on plays that would even upset little leaguers.

Last edited by DanP; 10-15-2015 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:57 AM
Anthony Rodriguez

I would have to agree, I personally think Bautista did nothing wrong when flipping the bat the way he did. I'm sure if the pitcher were to sit him down on strikes and celebrated as Bats did, we would not be having this discussion. It is pure entertainment and Bautista put on a show for the fans and there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:37 AM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiedoggy View Post
I don't live in Toronto but I have been there on numerous occasions to see the Jays play and I have never seen glass bottles in the stadium. They were aluminium cans and plastic bottles. Regardless, they should not have thrown them onto the field.

Exactly what I was thinking. Glass bottles haven't been allowed in sports stadiums for 40 years.

I was genuinely asking because several posters in this thread were acting like people could have been killed.

I guess maybe if the bottles were full, it could have injured someone.

Honestly though, I wasn't even aware they allowed cans and plastic bottles either. I thought all drinks were served in paper cups at stadiums. That's all I've ever seen at games I've been to.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:43 AM

They have plastic bottles at Yankee Stadium. It's a soft plastic though, not like a thermos kind of plastic. If you got dinged by a full bottle, it would definitely hurt. But you aren't going throw a full $13 beer, even if you're mad.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:53 AM
Anthony Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
They have plastic bottles at Yankee Stadium. It's a soft plastic though, not like a thermos kind of plastic. If you got dinged by a full bottle, it would definitely hurt. But you aren't going throw a full $13 beer, even if you're mad.
+1
Old 10-15-2015, 09:10 AM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiedoggy View Post

I went to my only Jays game in Toronto four years ago. There may have been 5,000 people there. I'm fairly certain that a corpse could have been thrown out of the upper deck during the game and no one would have noticed. On the plus side, I was able to buy the cheapest ticket in the place and still sit about six rows off the field.

I commented to a friend after Odor scored in the 7th that I didn't get the fan outrage since 1) It's clearly defined in the rules that it was a live ball and 2) The Jays still had nine outs to find a way to score a run (with arguable the most potent offense in baseball).

I didn't like the bat flip (or Rodney's bow and arrow antics) simply because of the timing. Had the homerun been of the walk-off variety (or had Rodney closed the game out), I'd be ok with it. I understand that it's probably an age / generational difference, but that type of behavior would not have flown with any of my coaches.

Regardless, it all makes for good entertainment. Bat flips or not, I love this time of year.

Mark
Old 10-15-2015, 09:21 AM
Peter Spaeth

Sort of lost in the bat flip tempest is the incredible, perhaps unprecedented implosion of Elvis Andrus.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I was at both Mets-Dodgers games in NY and the fans were screaming for Chase Utley's head. Yet there were no bottles or trash thrown onto the field. I can't remember the last time I saw fans do what Toronto's did today.

I was at Citi on Monday also and the venom unleashed at Utley was pretty over the top. Yet instead of retribution, the Mets did what you are supposed to and let their play do the talking...and as far as bat tosses, if you have an issue with Bautista, then where were you with Cespedes?? He launched his bat 15 ft in the air on his bomb.

But as Jeff said, nothing was thrown onto the field, and what the Toronto fans did was a bad move. Even when Gonzalez hit a HR and the ball was thrown back, the PA announcer said that fans should refrain from throwing things for the safety of everyone and they could be immediately ejected from the stadium.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:28 AM
Andy Sargent

Default Well said

Quote:
I am not a Jays fan, but I couldn’t blame the reaction of the Toronto Fans, because if they had lost the game on such an absurd play, that would have been a travesty. I don’t condone the bottle throwing – as that was very dangerous – but if I was a Jays fan in those stands I would be going crazy too (we all would whether we thought the call was right or not).

As for Bautista, I enjoyed every second of his stare down and flip - pure entertainment, which is what I tune in for. (but if it was my team he did that against I would hate him and despise his actions .) You have to realize the emotion of that moment and the entire game.

As far fans cheering cheaters - every fan for every team does it if the player is on your team. Boston and LA fans cheered Manny Ramirez, SF cheered Bonds, Milwaukee cheers for Braun…and so on…(remember Dodger fans wildly cheering for Ramirez from "Mannywood" in left field even after he was suspended 50 games for PEDs?)

The fact is if they are on your team you cheer pretty much unconditionally (if your team is winning), and if they are on the other team you hate, despise and think of every way to bash them.
Well said.....a lot of people are unhappy with Jays success this year and they feel they still have a lot to prove. Look at Harold Reynolds and his idiotic comments about Canadians not knowing how to catch a ball.......anyone see the Yankees fan miss three foul balls in one game???

As for Bautista......can you imagine the emotion the team was going through after the incident with the catcher missing te throw and hitting the bat leading to a run that put Texas in the lead.....Holy cow.....can you imagine if that game ended up 3-2 final.....crazy.

I'm Canadian and yes classless fans throwing junk onto the field is inexcusable but I can guarantee it has happened at every stadium in every sporting event.

Andy

Last edited by mantleman; 10-15-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:49 AM

Default Tornoto vs. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Bautista is a douche, simple as that. I too hope Toronto gets swept.
+1 Jay! Zero class and can you imagine what pitchers like Gibson, Drysdale, Seaver, P.Martinez, etc. would have done to him after a classless act like that! He has no respect for the game, and is an OVERATED hitter because he only beats up average at best pitchers to bulk up his numbers.

JoeT.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
to me...a lifelong yankees fan...bautista did nothing wrong. what's wrong with baseball is this old fuddy duddy mentality that celebrations are not permissable...bla bla bla! He didn't respect the game?

To me respecting the game is playing it hard...within the rules...NOT cheating...NOT electively injuring others...NOT bitching about everything.
NOTHING WRONG??? You obviously know very little about a "code of honor" among players. Virtually every MLB/ESPN analyst, especially the ones who played the game, have blasted his actions. This is the highest level of professional baseball, not some schoolyard "pick-up" game among neighborhood friends.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:54 AM

We aren't wearing suits to the game anymore. And we live in the age of celebrating yourself. Take a look at anyone's Facebook feed. If we get into football territory where after every single some guy does a cartwheel, then I'm with you.

Last edited by packs; 10-15-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:57 AM
Bradley Holt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
+1 Jay! Zero class and can you imagine what pitchers like Gibson, Drysdale, Seaver, P.Martinez, etc. would have done to him after a classless act like that! He has no respect for the game, and is an OVERATED hitter because he only beats up average at best pitchers to bulk up his numbers.

JoeT.
OMG! OVERATED HITTER, are you 4real? now thats funny!

Last edited by V117collector; 10-15-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:01 AM
Anthony Rodriguez

Quote:
NOTHING WRONG??? You obviously know very little about a "code of honor" among players. Virtually every MLB/ESPN analyst, especially the ones who played the game, have blasted his actions. This is the highest level of professional baseball, not some schoolyard "pick-up" game among neighborhood friends.
But it's ok for a pitcher who got a big strikeout to act a fool?!
Old 10-15-2015, 10:03 AM
Peter Spaeth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agkJ5WFNL4k
Old 10-15-2015, 10:04 AM

Default Tornoto vs. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfuego View Post
But it's ok for a pitcher who got a big strikeout to act a fool?!
Never said it was.....
Old 10-15-2015, 10:12 AM
Anthony Rodriguez

Quote:
Never said it was.....
Well therefore it is perfectly ok for Bautista to react the way he did, on top of that I'll give you 3 reasons as to why it is ok.
1. It was a home game
2. It was justified for the situation the Jays were in.
3. The fans loved it!
Old 10-15-2015, 10:15 AM
J1m Fr@n.tzis

Quote:

JoeT.

Bautista is neither a douche nor over rated. He has hit home runs off the best of them and is an upstanding citizen. The bat flip was a little over the top but no one noticed it till they showed it 300 times on the highlights. Everyone in the park, including myself, had our eyes on the ball he crushed for a clutch homer.
Some of you have to stop living in the past. Gibson, Drysdale, Seaver, P.Martinez were great pitchers but there's some great pitchers coming out of the generation we live in also!!

I looked at a Texas paper online to read their perspective and all this didn't seem to be an issue. What they were talking about was the monumental collapse and little league type errors.

As for the fans, that was terrible and not what Toronto is about. A couple drunk punks in the upper level started throwing beer and all of a sudden it was mob mentality. I can tell you though that right away people started pointing out those throwing stuff and the bulk of the crowd turned on them. That's something I'm sure espn didn't mention.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:19 AM
Marty H.

Hey! Would you call Babe Ruth a douche for calling a homer while standing in the box? Showing off has always been a part of sports. I wish we saw more of it. Why does the NFL have the nick name, No Fun League? Penalties for celebrations. Like others have said, "you don't want to be embarrassed, don't give up the homerun." The bat flip was obviously unplanned, so you have to account it to emotion in the moment. Bautisa quote, "I wasn't trying to disrespect anyone."

As for the beer cans, It happens more than we like to remember.

...and yes, I am a Blue Jays fan. GO JAYS GO!

Quote:

JoeT.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V117collector View Post
OMG! OVERATED HITTER, are you 4real? now thats funny!
Is it??? In 12 FULL seasons he's batted LES THAN .250 4x and below .260 3x. Seven out of twelve seasons batting below .260??? True, power numbers are good (.865 OPS which rank him 15th among current players), but his lifetime .257 average is extremely suspect. No doubt he's a formidable hitter but certainly not a "great" hitter. I've watched him over the past 12 seasons and cant help but think his good power numbers have been at the expense of beating up on many below average pitchers. Only my opinion....
Old 10-15-2015, 10:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

Never hit more than 16 HR, then hits 54? Did he discover spinach?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-15-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:31 AM
Bradley Holt

Quote:
Is it??? In 12 FULL seasons he's batted LES THAN .250 4x and below .260 3x. Seven out of twelve seasons batting below .260??? True, power numbers are good (.865 OPS which rank him 15th among current players), but his lifetime .257 average is extremely suspect. No doubt he's a formidable hitter but certainly not a "great" hitter. I've watched him over the past 12 seasons and cant help but think his good power numbers have been at the expense of beating up on many below average pitchers. Only my opinion....

http://m.mlb.com/tor/video/topic/887...s-54-home-runs
Old 10-15-2015, 10:47 AM

Default Toronto vs. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
Bautista is neither a douche nor over rated. He has hit home runs off the best of them and is an upstanding citizen. The bat flip was a little over the top but no one noticed it till they showed it 300 times on the highlights. Everyone in the park, including myself, had our eyes on the ball he crushed for a clutch homer.
Some of you have to stop living in the past. Gibson, Drysdale, Seaver, P.Martinez were great pitchers but there's some great pitchers coming out of the generation we live in also!!

I looked at a Texas paper online to read their perspective and all this didn't seem to be an issue. What they were talking about was the monumental collapse and little league type errors.

As for the fans, that was terrible and not what Toronto is about. A couple drunk punks in the upper level started throwing beer and all of a sudden it was mob mentality. I can tell you though that right away people started pointing out those throwing stuff and the bulk of the crowd turned on them. That's something I'm sure espn didn't mention.

FYI, I was at the 1973 Mets vs. Reds NLCS game #3 at Shea Stadium when Rose barreled into Harrelson. I was a huge Mets fane and "sad to say", the bottle/can throwing at Rose in left field was absolutely despicable. Even more scary was the fact that there were GLASS bottles back then and someone (like Rose) could have been seriously hurt. Sometimes a few bad apples/drunken bleacher bums can set a poor example for the otherwise great number of fans. Point well taken and I really don't think people will single out Toronto as a whole for those few rotten apples. Unfortunately, I will always be old school with respect to showing some form of class on the field. Flipping a bat is one thing, but doing it in the manner that Bautista did was way over the top.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:49 AM
Chris Wood

Quote:
I am not a Jays fan, but I couldn’t blame the reaction of the Toronto Fans, because if they had lost the game on such an absurd play, that would have been a travesty. I don’t condone the bottle throwing – as that was very dangerous – but if I was a Jays fan in those stands I would be going crazy too (we all would whether we thought the call was right or not).

As for Bautista, I enjoyed every second of his stare down and flip - pure entertainment, which is what I tune in for. (but if it was my team he did that against I would hate him and despise his actions .) You have to realize the emotion of that moment and the entire game.

As far fans cheering cheaters - every fan for every team does it if the player is on your team. Boston and LA fans cheered Manny Ramirez, SF cheered Bonds, Milwaukee cheers for Braun…and so on…(remember Dodger fans wildly cheering for Ramirez from "Mannywood" in left field even after he was suspended 50 games for PEDs?)

The fact is if they are on your team you cheer pretty much unconditionally (if your team is winning), and if they are on the other team you hate, despise and think of every way to bash them.
What Joe said...except that I am a Jays fan, and have been since my Pops took me to the inaugural game in 1977.

Jose's bat flip was a cathartic gesture, shaking off 8 years (his) and 23 years (Jays fans) of frustration.

The "fans" that threw beer cans should be embarrassed. I attended Game 1 and 2 in Toronto and despite a terrible strike zone being utilised by the umps, nothing like that happened. The team have seen their share of band-wagon jumpers, that don't understand the game and are there to get drunk and party, like any successful team. Pls don't paint the whole fanbase and town with this brush.

Good luck to KC...they will need it!

Last edited by baseball tourist; 10-15-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:56 AM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Nothing new here...

OCTOBER 19, 2004

Fans throw items onto the field after Alex Rodriguez #13 of the New York Yankees was called out on a tag at first base by Pitcher Bronson Arroyo #61 of the Boston Red Sox in the eighth inning during game six of the American League Championship Series.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51508757.jpg (78.1 KB, 157 views)

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 10-15-2015, 10:56 AM

Default Toronto vs. Texas

Quote:
FYI, I was at the 1973 Mets vs. Reds NLCS game #3 at Shea Stadium when Rose barreled into Harrelson. I was a huge Mets fane and "sad to say", the bottle/can throwing at Rose in left field was absolutely despicable. Even more scary was the fact that there were GLASS bottles back then and someone (like Rose) could have been seriously hurt. Sometimes a few bad apples/drunken bleacher bums can set a poor example for the otherwise great number of fans. Point well taken and I really don't think people will single out Toronto as a whole for those few rotten apples. Unfortunately, I will always be old school with respect to showing some form of class on the field. Flipping a bat is one thing, but doing it in the manner that Bautista did was way over the top.
Never said there aren't great pitchers today but what's your point? The major difference is that great pitchers TODAY have their hands tied because they are limited in brushing back hitters with respect to risking ejection. Do you really think that "Joey Bats" would ever get away with that juvenile crap if he could be legitimately brushed back at will....no way!!! in fact, watching "Joey Bats" over the past decade, he is one of the first hitters that will stare down any hurler for pitching him even remotely inside. Unfortunately, he is certainly not the only hitter that sends that message, proving beyond a doubt how much the game has changed over the past generation.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:20 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Never said there aren't great pitchers today but what's your point? The major difference is that great pitchers TODAY have their hands tied because they are limited in brushing back hitters with respect to risking ejection. Do you really think that "Joey Bats" would ever get away with that juvenile crap if he could be legitimately brushed back at will....no way!!! in fact, watching "Joey Bats" over the past decade, he is one of the first hitters that will stare down any hurler for pitching him even remotely inside. Unfortunately, he is certainly not the only hitter that sends that message, proving beyond a doubt how much the game has changed over the past generation.
Hey Joe
I think you are arguing with yourself? Are you going to sue Archive next?
Old 10-15-2015, 11:27 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:

JoeT.
Maybe he wouldn't beat up on such average pitchers if that's all the Yankees kept putting out there against him.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:46 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Sort of lost in the bat flip tempest is the incredible, perhaps unprecedented implosion of Elvis Andrus.
He's become the Mike Andrews of this generation. (Old guy reference).
Old 10-15-2015, 12:05 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
I can't believe how many people think that it's acceptable to hit someone with a pitch just because they did something to annoy the other pitcher/ team. Instead of saying "the game has changed", maybe we should ask why that sort of behavior was allowed in the first place.

How many guys have had their careers shortened or ended by being hit with a pitch? Tony Conigliaro, Dickie Thon, Kirby Puckett, Mickey Cochrane just off the top of my head. And of course Ray Chapman. And yet we long for the days when Bob Gibson would hit someone for taking too much time circling the bases after a home run, or Drysdale would hit a guy just for digging in against him? I like that umpires will now throw a pitcher out of the game if they think that he threw at a batter intentionally.

I don't really care for bat flipping, but I really think that drilling a guy for "showing up the pitcher" is excessive. Get over it! A guy hit a big home run, off course he wants to celebrate.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:12 PM
Mike Mattsey

Here's our next generation's reaction to Joey Bats. May this kid never forget this moment.

https://youtu.be/JnhwBEmRt5Y
Old 10-15-2015, 12:20 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Didn't a Yankee fan chuck a chair at "his own teams" player.

"A story like thats gotta be true."

Yankee fans and class doesn't really go in the same sentence unless there is "less" behind it.

Didn't a "Yankee" fan do that to Maris in the summer of '61?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2015, 12:57 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I was at both Mets-Dodgers games in NY and the fans were screaming for Chase Utley's head. Yet there were no bottles or trash thrown onto the field. I can't remember the last time I saw fans do what Toronto's did today.
Am I the only one who thought that slide was not as bad as everyone made it out to be? I mean he stayed in the base paths.......
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 10-15-2015, 01:03 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Toronto fans were gross. At least now I have a team to root for. Utley's move was bush league chickensh*t.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:21 PM

I understand the frustration with what Utley did, but doing that changed the game for LA. They aren't playing for the championship series tonight without it. So as much as I don't like what he did, I'd want him doing it for my team.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I understand the frustration with what Utley did, but doing that changed the game for LA. They aren't playing for the championship series tonight without it. So as much as I don't like what he did, I'd want him doing it for my team.
Oh that justifies it.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:35 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 View Post
Am I the only one who thought that slide was not as bad as everyone made it out to be? I mean he stayed in the base paths.......
Why doesn't that shortstop share in the blame? Any other middle infielder would have taken the force out and gotten out of the basepath. But Tejada tries to pirouette like a ballerina, when he has absolutely no chance to complete the double play. What was he doing?
Old 10-15-2015, 01:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Why doesn't that shortstop share in the blame? Any other middle infielder would have taken the force out and gotten out of the basepath. But Tejada tries to pirouette like a ballerina, when he has absolutely no chance to complete the double play. What was he doing?
The guy practically gets assaulted and you're blaming HIM?
Old 10-15-2015, 01:52 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The guy practically gets assaulted and you're blaming HIM?
Agreed. One of the dumber comments I've ever heard on this board.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.