NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-21-2015, 01:15 PM
Ed L@m

Default Help identifying player Phila A's c. 1930

I'm trying to identify this Philadelphia Athletics player. It has a 1930 date stamp and the player is identified as "Henry Supplee". Problem is there is no player named Henry Supplee listed on the 1930 A's roster (nor could I find any record of any Henry Supplee playing major or minor league baseball ever).

If the name is a mistake and I've seen some mistakes on press photo captions before, I'm hoping this player is Al Mahon, a pitcher whose major league career was 3 games for the A's in 1930. Googling Mahon only comes up with one picture and I don't know where that comes from (another picture on Baseball Prospectus mistakenly shows Art Mahan). It's not a lot to go on but if anyone has a picture of Al Mahon, I'd love to see it. Thanks for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57-6.jpg (35.8 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg $_57-8.jpg (33.5 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg 208244d1298099597-gambo-t_wil1-photopack-al_mahon_-1930_a-s-_2.jpg (32.6 KB, 216 views)
Old 08-21-2015, 04:55 PM
Todd Schultz

Doesn't look anything like Al Mahon's pic at baseball reference:

Actually I see the confusion though--Baseball Reference uses the same photo for Art Mahan, who as you noted is the proper subject for that photo.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 08-21-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:41 AM
T. Scott Brandon

Default Henry Supplee vs. Al Mahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darner View Post
I'm trying to identify this Philadelphia Athletics player. It has a 1930 date stamp and the player is identified as "Henry Supplee". Problem is there is no player named Henry Supplee listed on the 1930 A's roster (nor could I find any record of any Henry Supplee playing major or minor league baseball ever).

If the name is a mistake and I've seen some mistakes on press photo captions before, I'm hoping this player is Al Mahon, a pitcher whose major league career was 3 games for the A's in 1930. Googling Mahon only comes up with one picture and I don't know where that comes from (another picture on Baseball Prospectus mistakenly shows Art Mahan). It's not a lot to go on but if anyone has a picture of Al Mahon, I'd love to see it. Thanks for any help.
Henry Supplee was an amateur (or maybe semi-pro) pitcher in the Trenton, NJ area in the early 1930s. He had a tryout with the A's in 1930 but I can't find any records that indicate he played at any level of organized ball. Supplee's brother Al likewise pitched in the Trenton amateur leagues.

As for the Mahon photo, I found that several years ago and can't remember the source but I think it was part of an A's mixed lot from Mears. I've attached the full photo below. The only other Mahon I have is a tiny thumbnail clipped from a low-quality team image, also shown below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Al_Mahon_(1930_A's).jpg (79.9 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg Al_Mahon.jpg (1.6 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by tnfoto; 08-23-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:12 PM
Ed L@m

Thanks for that information, tnfoto.

I've seen other press photos of players that tried out but didn't make the team during this era so this certainly could be one of those. Usually the caption noted the player was trying out or with the team in spring training, but captions aren't always so accurate. It's curious why the photo was printed and distributed so late in the year when neither of the players in question would still be on the team.

Oh well, my quest for an Al Mahon photo continues. It's been one of my projects to collect a period photo of every Athletics player on the 1929, '30, and '31 rosters and mostly the few I'm missing are similarly obscure.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:27 PM
Ed L@m

For the record I'm still looking for photos of Bud Morse, Bevo Lebourveau, Cloy Mattox, Rudy Miller from the 1929 team, Spencer Harris, Jim Keesey, Al Mahon from 1930, Phil Todt, Sol Carter from 1931. I've seen photos of most of these players so I should be able to get some of them eventually (preferably in A's uniform). If anyone can help me out, I'd be extremely grateful.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:19 PM
Don Stokes

Henry Supplee 1932 and 1930
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Henry Supplee.jpg (66.0 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg Henry Supplee.jpg2.jpg (33.6 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by Dto7; 08-23-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:41 PM
Don Stokes

He's in the photo somewhere
Attached Images
File Type: jpg haverford 1928.jpg (76.1 KB, 89 views)
Old 08-23-2015, 06:31 PM
Ed L@m

Great info, Don. Thank you, I appreciate all the help.